Grape Seed Extract Accelerates Hair Growth

Isis

Is anyone taking Grape Seed Extract for their hair growth? I just learned that it accelerates hair growth among many other benefits. I was researching something else and stumbled upon Grape Seed Extract, which I took about 1 1/2 years ago for a cold and it got rid of it very quickly by giving my immune system a great boost. I wasn't thinking about hair growth then and didn't continue taking it. I'm on the vitamin challenge but I'm putting this on my list right now!
(I'm looking for my old bottle too!)

I found this tidbit just now but there is much more information on the website.

Grape Seed Extract: Procyanidin oligomers are naturally derived ingredients from grape seeds that have been shown to stimulate hair growth similarly to Minoxidil (Rogaine®). Recent studies by Japanese scientists have shown that grape seed extracts possess growth stimulation activity toward hair cells. These studies suggest that the active components of grape seeds inhibit the destruction of collagen structures leading to greater overall health of the tiny capillaries that supply energy to the body’s tissues including hair.
Grape seed is available in capsules, tablets, and fluid extracts. Look for products that are standardized to 95% OPC content.

G

Whenever I drink Grape Fruit Juice my hair grows quicker but I also get sick too.

Isis

Grape Seed Extract is from the ground-up seeds of red grapes and the skins. It's made from what makes red wine beneficial.
From what I'm learning, it happens to accelerate hair growth too and some hair growth products are adding grape seed extract along with MSM, biotin, etc.

Isis

Well, I bought some for my bf today since he's coming down with a cold. I got the NOW brand which is standardized.

B

ballet_bun

Isis ... how dare you post this ... You're gonna have me going to the healthfood store buying more stuff now ... lol!

Ballet Bun ...

B

ballet_bun

Have you ever used Grapeseed oil on your scalp? If so, what were the results ... did yoy like it?

L

LaNecia

I've never used grape seed extract topically but internally it's just as Isis said, works very quickly to squash a cold. I keep a bottle here at work it's the NutriBiotic brand. I would advise taking with internally with a citric acid based drink or you'll
fo sho! It's BITTER.

Kaela

[ QUOTE ]
ballet_bun said:
Have you ever used Grapeseed oil on your scalp? If so, what were the results ... did yoy like it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used it a long time ago, when that thread for the "essential oil mix for growth" was really big. I didn't like it that much...grapeseed oil reminds me of a lighter olive oil, but it still weighed my hair down a lot and my scalp didn't like it too much. I do better with jojoba.

HTH

Isis

senimoni said:
Anyone still taking this?
I take one capsule of grapeseed extract every single day! I haven't had a cold or flu or any illness since I started it. As for my hair growth, I haven't measured to see if it accelerated since 2003 but it's doing fine. :)

Last edited:

MonaRae

I use it when I get out of the shower for my body. I don't use lotion b/c of all the stuff they put it in.

I use it for my hair a few time but not enough to notice a difference. I guess I'll be giving it another try. This is great news to me!

MonaRae

senimoni

Hmm so its better than echinacia(sp) and all that jazz, I'd take it for that alone. What all supplements do you take Isis, just in general not just specific to hair.

Isis

senimoni said:
Hmm so its better than echinacia(sp) and all that jazz, I'd take it for that alone. What all supplements do you take Isis, just in general not just specific to hair.

I take vitamin C, spirulina, grapeseed extract, iron, B12, magnesium/calcium, brewers yeast, flaxseed oil, coconut oil (internally), MSM powder.

I've taken these (minus the MSM, brewers yeast and coconut oil) before LHCF as part of my health regimen. I also list some other things I eat or drink in my signature.

juicy555

Grapeseed, not to be confused with grapefruit seed extract which is a powerful, bitter tasting immunity booster.

Isis

That's correct Juicy555.

ETA: I think some people are confused about this when buying it. I would like to read about more studies on grape seed extract, besides the one in Japan.

Last edited:

spoilt1

Other than possibly catching a cold will this pill cause any side effects other than hair growth? I now that when I started taking biotin my face began to break out a lot and I haven't had a problem with acne for a little over two years.

senimoni

I need to get back on my vitamin kick esp the anti oxidants...i can never seem to stay on anything for more than 2-3 weeks....so many pills. I started back on MSM and I must be detoxing b/c I feel like I'm getting sick even though I'm not if that makes since. But I'm rambling and OT so I'll just stop.

princesslocks

I've taken these (minus the MSM, brewers yeast and coconut oil) before LHCF as part of my health regimen. I also list some other things I eat or drink in my signature.[/quote]

Isis, What are the benefits of taking coconut oil internally ? Just curious..

saqqara

Isis said:
That's correct Juicy555.

ETA: I think some people are confused about this when buying it. I would like to read about more studies on grape seed extract, besides the one in Japan.

I read about this years ago on some hairloss board and a couple of hairloss (for balding men) lines incorporated it into their products but the people using said their hair shed more. It had something to do with causing the existing hair to shed before stimulating new hair to grow. That's why it never really took off in US hair growth/loss products.

Neroli

I rotate grapeseed oil for my hair, but I've never taken internally nor used in my skincare, although I know it is very high in EFA's (which is why it's great for relaxed hair especially), so I guess it makes sense that it would be good on the inside as well. I have a 8oz bottle that just arrived from www.thepersonalformulator.com and am now inspired to use more abundantly, especially for cooking and adding to my body lotion and creams.

Excellent info Isis! Thanks for the heads up . . .

Isis

spoilt1 said:
Other than possibly catching a cold will this pill cause any side effects other than hair growth? I now that when I started taking biotin my face began to break out a lot and I haven't had a problem with acne for a little over two years.
Grape seed extract keeps the immune system very, very strong, so there are no negative side effects.

aileenadq

Isis said:
It's made from what makes red wine beneficial.

Hah! No wonder my hair is growing so fast! I have bottles lined up on my kitchen counter! So much for the 12 Step program! :grin:

Isis

Neroli said:
I rotate grapeseed oil for my hair, but I've never taken internally nor used in my skincare, although I know it is very high in EFA's (which is why it's great for relaxed hair especially), so I guess it makes sense that it would be good on the inside as well. I have a 8oz bottle that just arrived from www.thepersonalformulator.com and am now inspired to use more abundantly, especially for cooking and adding to my body lotion and creams.

Excellent info Isis! Thanks for the heads up . . .
Thank you and you're welcome. I haven't used grapeseed oil yet and but I would like to try it. :yep:

For clarification, I'm not taking the oil internally. The capsules are extractions from the grape seeds themselves, which has the immune boosting, hair growth properties. It's in a powder form.

saqqara

Grapeseed oil doesn't contain procyanidins so using grapeseed oil on your scalp won't make your hair grow. The procyanidins are in the grapeseed extract.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapeseed_oil

Some sources claim that grape seed oil is also high in procyanidolic oligomers (also known as oligomeric proanthocyanidins, OPCs or PCOs), which are also the main constituent of pycnogenol. However other sources dispute this. Because proanthocyanidins are polar molecules which are insoluble in nonpolar liquids such as oils, grape seed oil is unlikely to contain as much PCO as other grape products like fresh grapes, grape juice or red wine. Some published independent analyses show that grape seed oil typically contains almost no PCO at all [1]. It has been claimed that many distributors of pycnogenol and related products are involved in pyramid schemes [2].

P

patient1

Are the two (grapeseed extract and grapeseed oil) different? I know grapeseed oil is a favorite among massage therapists because it's light and tends not to clog pores. It's also cost-efficient. I imagine the extract comes in a much smaller bottle for a much larger prices. I hope I'm wrong. I definitely want to look into this as an immunity booster for the whole family. I've used grapeseed oil before but never the extract.

Thanks for the info,
~p1

Isis

princesslocks said:
I've taken these (minus the MSM, brewers yeast and coconut oil) before LHCF as part of my health regimen. I also list some other things I eat or drink in my signature.

Isis, What are the benefits of taking coconut oil internally ? Just curious..[/quote]
Check out Vevster's thread called, Coconut Oil...not just for hair on the Health discussion board. There are long lists of benefits from coconut oil uncluding weight loss, building the immune system and much more. There's another long thread on this board too about it.

Isis

patient1 said:
Are the two (grapeseed extract and grapeseed oil) different? I know grapeseed oil is a favorite among massage therapists because it's light and tends not to clog pores. It's also cost-efficient. I imagine the extract comes in a much smaller bottle for a much larger prices. I hope I'm wrong. I definitely want to look into this as an immunity booster for the whole family. I've used grapeseed oil before but never the extract.

Thanks for the info,
~p1
Yes, they are different. I posted this just before your post so you probably didn't see it.
ETA: Saqqara post some good info about it also.

Last edited:

Isis

saqqara said:
Grapeseed oil doesn't contain procyanidins so using grapeseed oil on your scalp won't make your hair grow. The procyanidins are in the grapeseed extract.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapeseed_oil

Some sources claim that grape seed oil is also high in procyanidolic oligomers (also known as oligomeric proanthocyanidins, OPCs or PCOs), which are also the main constituent of pycnogenol. However other sources dispute this. Because proanthocyanidins are polar molecules which are insoluble in nonpolar liquids such as oils, grape seed oil is unlikely to contain as much PCO as other grape products like fresh grapes, grape juice or red wine. Some published independent analyses show that grape seed oil typically contains almost no PCO at all [1]. It has been claimed that many distributors of pycnogenol and related products are involved in pyramid schemes [2].
Thank you Saqqara for posting this info. Grapeseed oil is different from the grapeseed extract and it's an important distinction.

Neroli

Isis said:
Thank you Saqqara for posting this info. Grapeseed oil is different from the grapeseed extract and it's an important distinction.

Okay, thanks for the clarification ladies.