Gray Hair

Mufasa

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas on covering gray hair? I have some growing at the temples now. I have heard of Henna and Colorshines. Do they change the texture pattern? How long does it last?

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

TIA

I use a rinse when mine start to pop out!!! Only thing is when it's start to fade, the go from black to brown to bronze to grey again :lachen:

Isis said:
Cathy Howse recommends using Bigen to safely color - whether relaxed or natural - and to cover gray permanently. Many of the ladies here use Bigen also, whether they have gray or not. Bigen doesn't have peroxide so it's supposed to be safe for our hair.

http://www.ubhpublications.com/HairTips/ColoringA.html

I recently found my first greys and used Bigen Oriental Black. That stuff did a good job giving all of my hair a richer color. One box is small though. I had to stretch it, but 2 would have been better.

Mufasa,

I have a great deal of premature grey and used Sebastian's Colorshines with great results. I wanted a gentle rinse instead of a permanent color because I have had bad luck with permanent color and dryness.
I mixed Coffee Bean and Golden Walnut. My hair turned out a nice, warm dark brown and the grey had a kind of dark gold/brown highlighted look. I am very pleased. The only downside will be 3-6 month touch ups, but I think that it's worth it for the gentleness.
Hope this helps;)
Sandie

I have a lot of gray in the front. I have had some bad issues with getting it the right color and matching the rest of my head and dealing with issues like chlorine turning it green and such. If you pick something with gold/bronze tones make sure you mix it with a brown that has a red base so you won't end up yellow/green wherever your gray is. Other than that, being gray in the front is a great way to measure how fast your hair grows! :)

I don't reccomend colorshines because I have seen ladies use this to cover grey and their hair looks green.

I am in LOVE with Bigen :love: I had a thread on it somewhere but the search isn't working right now. Next time I will use two boxes for complete coverage. Good luck to you!

I was a dedicated Bigen oriental black user, but it would make my hair a little hard until after a few shampoos and it would return to normal. However, I came across Clairol Color Complements in black. Instant Love!!! No more dryness and unbelievable shine! Try it and see how you like it.

I use Sebastian Colourshines in Neutral Brown and my gray strands do not turn out green. I got this recommendation from our LHCF hair color guru 'Tracy'. I've been using it for a long time, and I love it.

I just have a few gray strands at the temples I am trying to -er -um hide but I also wear braids from time to time and am thinking of twists. Would color be OK to use in this situation? I was wondering because some folks are mentioning dryness and when hair the hair is colored. Twists and braids seem to make the hair dryer anyways.

Thanks for all of your responses :D

Bigen provides rich color that doesn't fade like other hair color I've had, including professionally done. I've used Bigen for 9 mo and follow it with an ORS Replenishing Pak (99 cents). Works like a charm:) Since it's applied with a brush you only put it where you want.

HoneyLemonDrop said:
Where can bigen be purchased??? Sounds interesting.
I asked the people at Bigen.com and I was told Sally's is a major distributor, some Walmarts (although I haven't seen it there) and some salons. Sally's only carries a few colors though. There is actually a wide range of reds, browns and blacks made by Bigen.

Allandra said:
I use Sebastian Colourshines in Neutral Brown and my gray strands do not turn out green. I got this recommendation from our LHCF hair color guru 'Tracy'. I've been using it for a long time, and I love it.
I remember you commenting in the past on how much you love Sebastian Coloushines. Does it have peroxide? And where do you buy yours Allandra?

i have a few gray hair in the front of my hair... i was checking out aubrey organics' new color rinse... i may give it a try....

Isis said:
I asked the people at Bigen.com and I was told Sally's is a major distributor, some Walmarts (although I haven't seen it there) and some salons. Sally's only carries a few colors though. There is actually a wide range of reds, browns and blacks made by Bigen.
Thanks I will check it out :)

SherryLove said:
i have a few gray hair in the front of my hair... i was checking out aubrey organics' new color rinse... i may give it a try....

Let us know your results if you do --- I'm curious...

I have used Sebastians Colorshine in Black Orchid and it does not last that long I get great results with Loreal Preference in Black permanent hair color.
This color last longer in my hair than any other product.
Its a bit expensive but worth it to me.

Back