Great Idea: Wearing wigs that are similar to your hair for protective styling

JuicesN'Berries

Ok I don't know if this has ever been mentioned before (It most likely has) but, I recently purchased a wig that is real similar to what my real hair looks like and I have been wearing it on and off for 2 1/2 weeks. It has been working great for me because I can do the baggie method, or prepare my hair for a braid out while I am wearing the wig. Because the wig is so similar to my hair others can't tell if its the wig or my hair.....so l literally have it on one day and off the next. For instance, If I wanted to wear a braid out, which in my hair hair usually takes a long time to set...I just put the braids in at night, wear the wig to work and school....and the next day I have a nice solid braid out. I also do may do the baggie method a couple days at a time while wearing the wig.

This is also an easy way to deep conditon for an extended period.

Lastly the wig that I bought was plain, natural looking and versatile. I can do up do's, half up half down, side ponytails and braids. I absolutely love the fact that I can look nice with a different yet suttle hair style everyday without harming my hair.

This method is great for those who don't want to deal with the extended time of a sew-in or braids.

I Was thinking about this the other day ,I have a few qestions.
How much did it cost?
Where did you buy it?
And how is it that you can braid it if its a wig?

That sounds great... I use wigs and falls too for this reason... Is yours a lacefront? I'm trying to determine if it's worth the investment... TIA.:)

JuicesN'Berries said:
Ok I don't know if this has ever been mentioned before (It most likely has) but, I recently purchased a wig that is real similar to what my real hair looks like and I have been wearing it on and off for 2 1/2 weeks. It has been working great for me because I can do the baggie method, or prepare my hair for a braid out while I am wearing the wig. Because the wig is so similar to my hair others can't tell if its the wig or my hair.....so l literally have it on one day and off the next. For instance, If I wanted to wear a braid out, which in my hair hair usually takes a long time to set...I just put the braids in at night, wear the wig to work and school....and the next day I have a nice solid braid out. I also do may do the baggie method a couple days at a time while wearing the wig.

This is also an easy way to deep conditon for an extended period.

Lastly the wig that I bought was plain, natural looking and versatile. I can do up do's, half up half down, side ponytails and braids. I absolutely love the fact that I can look nice with a different yet suttle hair style everyday without harming my hair.

This method is great for those who don't want to deal with the extended time of a sew-in or braids.

This is pretty much my steelo...:look:
No more weaves for me (took over a year for my hair to start looking like something again), just wigging it... also noting, I don't wear wigs longer than my own hair...so when I take it off and wear my own out...folks on the street aren't really thrown off...although my fam is confused at times and ask me...is that you...or the wig?

Yeah, were did you buy it? Do you have pics? How do you do the baggy method under your wig? It doesn't cause lumps?

kweenameena said:
Yeah, were did you buy it? Do you have pics? How do you do the baggy method under your wig? It doesn't cause lumps?
This thread came at the right time, i was thinking of purchasing a wig because i just had my hair cut and now its toooo short to do buns with baggie. Could i see a pic?

Sorry it took me so long to respond. Well the wig I bought was only $20.00 and it is synthetic. I know you are thinking I probably look a hot mess because I bought a cheap wig that is not is not even human hair but it actually does look good. I bought mine from a beauty supply store in Tallahassee, Florida. My wig is actually a little longer than my hair, but I usually wear it in a side ponytail or bun so you can't tell the difference. When I baggie method I really don't baggie method, I moisturize and then put my hair into two french braids or cornrows and then I use some saran wrap.......It can get hot and stickey under my wigs sometimes.....But I can deal. Give me a second I will put the pictures on my fotki and post the link.

So is this a wig that covers ALL of your hair? And you can pull it off your face like that? Or do you have some of your hair out?

Great idea!

I started wearing a wig, off and on, that is similar to my own hair a few months ago. It's a nice alternative and protective style. Good to see like-minded sistas.

Peace

I don't have a full wig but I did buy a fall. I haven't used it ages but I initially bought it so that when I went to clubs and bars I didn't have to worry about my hair getting funky. It was cute and no one noticed that it wasn't really my hair.

I did have a problem getting it to look normal on my head. If my hair underneath wasn't just right my head looked HUGE. My hair is usually pretty fluffy and getting all of it under the fall was a task & a half.

If you're going to be wearing it regularly I woud buy one of those satin (stocking like) caps so ur hair doesn't break from the friction.

The wig has a bang, but sometimes I take some of my hair out and pull it over the bang so it looks real. I usually make a little bump in th front and hold it with bobby pins.

when I wore my half wig/instant weave. I french braided my hair in two braids and twirled them in a circle (opposite directions) then pinned the ends down. The finished look was a braided circle. The combs were secure and it wasnt bulky at all. now if I can just figure out how to do the phony pony like that I would be good

Back