Great Lengths Challenge...And We're Off

Choklatekiss79

It's Official...The Challenge Has Begun!!:D

Good luck everyone. Let's check in every once and a while and feel free to drop a line in this thread when we need some encouragement!!!:)

This will be such a great learning opportunity for all of us. I think along the way, we may find that not all of the rules will work best for everyone's hair. If that's case, feel free to adjust the rules slightly so that you are doing what is best for your hair. But I think we'd all agree that less heat, more water, more exercise, less frequent relaxers, vitamins/supplements, and protein/moisture are all good things for our hair and bodies!

Don't forget to try to send/post update pics monthly or quarterly (which ever is most convenient). Good Luck and Happy Hair Care Everyone!!!:D

Challengers
Chocolatekiss79
SexySin985
candy1214
caribeandiva (+ heat?)
Anancy
MamaBraidedIt
ms.gafeney
hothair (3 month pic update)
B-Phlyy (- vitamins?)
Scarcity21
MissCongeniality
Tishee
jnicole
pamsc29210
locabouthair
Ms. Cleo
crvlingrhair
ldp
Me2
SNYemma
Incredible1one
princessdi
newflowers
GrowmeNow
intellect sensual
SSBD
Poetrygirl
jaded faerie
sizefouramour
tiger4513
HisBestFriend
Iwoodar3
kweenameena
DenverGirl
Growinpainz
br0wney3z
bgyrl
mysmallbiz
auntybe
p31woman
bocagirl
rose2grce
shakira74
Toy-Pisces
strenght81
miss Congeniality
aloha bef
mzhotniz286
Cayenne0622 (of course you can still play!;) )
pjrndon
eunique (u can do it!)
soxgirl119

Hope I got everyone....

Anancy

Well you certainly got me. Good luck everyone. Im now going to wash my hair then i'll post my start picture.

glamazon386

Count me in! I forgot what my stipulations were from the other thread though. I think it was heat is allowed when I get flat ironed at the salon but that's it... Oh and no baggying...

camosil

Sorry I missed the beginning of this challenge. Can someone give me more details as to the rules and the challenge period.
Thanks.

MzLady78

Ooooh, I want in!!!!

I think I'm gonna take my sew in out next week. I want to make so clip in extensions for the spring. It's hard to take care of my real hair with the sew-in and I am so inspired by those HYHTA progress pics.

miss Congeniality

I am so ready. I got my vitamins ready, I have mixed my conditioners for my co-washes, I went to Wal-mart to get my plastic caps,... Its on:grin:

Cayenne0622

Choklatekiss79 said:

Good luck everyone. Let's check in every once and a while and feel free to drop a line in this thread when we need some encouragement!!!:)

This will be such a great learning opportunity for all of us. I think along the way, we may find that not all of the rules will work best for everyone's hair. If that's case, feel free to adjust the rules slightly so that you are doing what is best for your hair. But I think we'd all agree that less heat, more water, more exercise, less frequent relaxers, vitamins/supplements, and protein/moisture are all good things for our hair and bodies!

Don't forget to try to send/post update pics monthly or quarterly (which ever is most convenient). Good Luck and Happy Hair Care Everyone!!!:D

Challengers
Chocolatekiss79
SexySin985
candy1214
caribeandiva (+ heat?)
Anancy
MamaBraidedIt
ms.gafeney
B-Phlyy (- vitamins?)
Scarcity21
MissCongeniality
Tishee
jnicole
pamsc29210
locabouthair
Ms. Cleo
crvlingrhair
ldp
Me2
SNYemma
Incredible1one
princessdi
newflowers
GrowmeNow
intellect sensual
SSBD
Poetrygirl
jaded faerie
sizefouramour
tiger4513
HisBestFriend
Iwoodar3
kweenameena
DenverGirl
Growinpainz
br0wney3z
bgyrl
mysmallbiz
auntybe
p31woman
bocagirl
rose2grce
shakira74
Toy-Pisces
strenght81
miss Congeniality
aloha bef
mzhotniz286
pjrndon
eunique (u can do it!)
soxgirl119

Hope I got everyone....

Thanks girlly!!! I'm so excited!!:grin:

ldp

starting pics

Length
This pic was taken 3/9/07:

Nape

I posted a pic. of my nape because I didn't want yall to think my hair was even all around, it's no such thing! :grin: I'm all about full disclosure. I'm really focusing on my nape. I moisturize twice daily and apply BT once a day.

I'm currently in braids.

My last texturizer was either February 17th or the 24th, can't remember!

I'm very excited about this challenge

pjrndon

Okay I'm ready. Could someone tell me the type of vitamins to take. I have been searching the internet for hair vitamins but I'm quickly getting confused and would really like some advice from someone who's currently taking them. I do take a mult-vitamin daily.

ldp

Most women take biotin. That's almost a staple. But, I'm sure you can do a search for vitamins and find a million recommendations.

Growinpainz

pjrndon said:
Okay I'm ready. Could someone tell me the type of vitamins to take. I have been searching the internet for hair vitamins but I'm quickly getting confused and would really like some advice from someone who's currently taking them. I do take a mult-vitamin daily.

I used to take biotin but my face broke out. I'm back on my GNC Ultranourish Hair

tkj25

count me in!:):) :) i'm currently in yarn braids. i'll update my yahoo when i rebraid.

as far as vitamin staples, i'd recommend a good multi-vitamin (gnc/vitamin shoppe/puritans pride), msm (powder or pills), biotin, & silica (horsetail or bamboo)

HisBestFriend

OOooohh! I'm excited. I've posted my starting points both in and out of braids. I am hoping that I can stay in braids until September. By September I'll turn 35, celebrate my anniversary and get to hug my honey again so I'll be more than ready to look my best!!!

HHG Everyone!!!!!

tricie

Originally Posted by pjrndon

Hi, pjrndon,

I take the ones listed there in my siggy below; basically, its:

multi-vitamin
biotin
fish oil
NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine)
grapeseed extract
vitamin C
MSM
hair, skin & nail vitamin
Bio-Sil

I think together they are all working; my hair is shinier and I have way less breakage and shedding than I have ever had; pre-pooing and henna have been a great part of my regimen, too!

HTH!

Pamsc

:wave: Just checking in to say that I am all ready for this challenge!!! I have been pretty much been doing everything that is required...so this should be a piece of cake...happy growing everyone:thumbsup: !!!! My starting pic is in my avator!

Hair Type: 4a, fine, relaxed ( last relaxer 1-6-07)
Current Length: Sides cover ears, the back is at the top of my neck
Goals:
1. Healthy thicker hair
2.Even SL
3.APL
4.BSL
Products: Mane-N-Tail conditioner, ION Reconstuctor, AtOne hydrating shampoo,Motions CPR, KeraCare oil moisturizer, Keracare leave-in, Hot six oil-mist, Organic Coconut oil, WGO, Organic Olive Oil, VO5 conditioner( and Clarifying shampoo).
Vits: Multi-vit, Calcium, Biotin, and Flaxseed

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!!!!

audacity.

mmmm...i downloaded my start pic to fotki and pasted the link i hope it works...take a peek. good luck to all and happy hair growing!

eunique

i just saw that i'm on the list. lol. i'm gonna try. this will be my first challenge. i might have to tweak the rules a bit. but i'm up for it. :)

tnorenberg

Choklatekiss79 said:

Challengers
Chocolatekiss79
SexySin985
candy1214
caribeandiva (+ heat?)
Anancy
MamaBraidedIt
ms.gafeney
B-Phlyy (- vitamins?)
Scarcity21
MissCongeniality
Tishee
jnicole
pamsc29210
locabouthair
Ms. Cleo
crvlingrhair
ldp
Me2
SNYemma
Incredible1one
princessdi
newflowers
GrowmeNow
intellect sensual
SSBD
Poetrygirl
jaded faerie
sizefouramour
tiger4513
HisBestFriend
Iwoodar3
kweenameena
DenverGirl
Growinpainz
br0wney3z
bgyrl
mysmallbiz
auntybe
p31woman
bocagirl
rose2grce
shakira74
Toy-Pisces
strenght81
miss Congeniality
aloha bef
mzhotniz286
pjrndon
eunique (u can do it!)
soxgirl119

Hope I got everyone....

You forgot my name. Definitely count me in.;)

locabouthair

im excited! the only thing i might not do is the exercise but ill do everything else plus eat healthy and scalp massages. im pulling out the big guns this year ima get me some length:grin:

eunique

Okay. Tricie says I can do it, so I will, but I gotta modify justttt a little.
  1. ABSOLUTELY NO HEAT!!! (hood dryers OK):eek: --
  2. ***Since many of us may not be able to pull our hair into a bun or pony just yet, baggying and co washing are optional.***
  3. 9-12 week relaxer stretches (YOU CAN DO IT!):lol: Freaked me out a bit, but I am hoping to stay braided throughtout the rest of the year, so that should help me. lol.
  4. Weekly pre-poos and shampoos (This can be done bi-weekly if you are doing the co-wash method.)
  5. Weekly deep conditioners (moisture or protein depending on what your hair needs from week to week)
  6. Twice a day moisture and oil treatments
  7. At least two vitamin supplements per day -- I'm gonna drink carrot juice instead? :)
  8. 8-10 glassses of water per day (it's good for more than just your hair) I actually love water so I can definitely do this one.
  9. Combing no more than twice per day (roller setting, wrapping, or flex rod setting will make this possible):perplexed
  10. 30 minutes of exercise at least 3 times per week (yes, walking counts, but working up a good sweat is even better!):D Lawd ...
I'ma suck it up and roll w/the punches. I'm sure it'll help me change for the better. I'll edit this post w/starting point pictures, but my nape won't be visible because that part is braided right now. It's super short though, maybe .5 to 1 inc.

start photos, i don't have a fotki just yet.

Last edited:

LaReyna756

I know I'm late, but count me in! I started vitamins a couple of weeks ago--a multi vitamin/ mineral supplement, 5,000 mg Biotin, and 3,000 mg MSM. I went to the gym today, and I'm upping my water intake. So I'm on the right track. I will try to post starting pics soon.