Great Lengths Challenge - Mid Neck and Above

hothair

Choklatekiss79 said:
Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!! crvlnghair, ldp, Me2, SNyeema, caribeandiva, Incredible1ne

Natural sistas can definitely join the challenge.
We all have the same goal - healthier and longer hair!:)

BTW..As we get closer to April 1, Ill post an official list of everyone participating in the challenge.

Thanks Ladies!:D

What she said, WELCOME!!! HHG!

Determined22

I'd be in if it wasn't for the heat part. My hair isn't adversely affected by flatironing once a week.

Oh well, I guess I gotta do my own challenge! :)

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Okay, I'm officially in. I'm pretty sure I can find some type of supplement or vitamin that I can take without gagging.

However, I won't be able to post a starting pic on the first because I have braids in, but I may take a few out and take some photos so you can get a jist of where I'm starting from.

newflowers

This is such a great idea. I have the same goal, but already I am doing the crown and glory challenge - I'm with you in spirit.

I do have a question about keeping a photo journal of hair growth progress.

How do you set it up?

I have been taking pictures once a month for the last two months during one of my unbraided periods - length sides and back - so I don't really have much, but I don't know how.

Can you help?

Choklatekiss79

This is such a great idea. I have the same goal, but already I am doing the crown and glory challenge - I'm with you in spirit.

I do have a question about keeping a photo journal of hair growth progress.

How do you set it up?

I have been taking pictures once a month for the last two months during one of my unbraided periods - length sides and back - so I don't really have much, but I don't know how.

Can you help?

Hi newflowers.....thanks for responding and joining us in spirit!

To set up a photo journal, you can use fotki (although there are tons of other online photo journals.) Go to www.fotki.com, then click the Join Fitki button. The site will walk you through how to set everything up. Let me know if you have trouble uploading the pics. I think youll find that its pretty easy, but feel free to give me a shout if you get stuck.:)

Mahalialee4

Just wanted to encourage all you ladies to stick with the goals. I started where you are in length as did many others. But be assured your goals are possible. bonjour

newflowers

Choklatekiss79 said:
Hi newflowers.....thanks for responding and joining us in spirit!

To set up a photo journal, you can use fotki (although there are tons of other online photo journals.) Go to www.fotki.com, then click the Join Fitki button. The site will walk you through how to set everything up. Let me know if you have trouble uploading the pics. I think youll find that its pretty easy, but feel free to give me a shout if you get stuck.:)

Thanks bunches. Maybe we'll be posting great progress pictures at the same time. :)

Poetrygirl

Choklatekiss79 said:
Hello Everyone:

It's so encouraging as a newbie to find LHCF and see that so many women with varying hair types have grown their hair to beautiful lengths.

For us short and sassy sisters, I thought it would be fun to form a mini support group. If you're neck length and above and want to achieve greater lengths, join the challenge and let's make it happen!

The Great Lengths Challenge will begin April 1, 2007 and will run for 9 months until December 31, 2007.

Rules:
  1. ABSOLUTELY NO HEAT!!! (hood dryers OK):eek:
  2. ***Since many of us may not be able to pull our hair into a bun or pony just yet, baggying and co washing are optional.***
  3. 9-12 week relaxer stretches (YOU CAN DO IT!):lol:
  4. Weekly pre-poos and shampoos (This can be done bi-weekly if you are doing the co-wash method.)
  5. Weekly deep conditioners (moisture or protein depending on what your hair needs from week to week)
  6. Twice a day moisture and oil treatments
  7. At least two vitamin supplements per day
  8. 8-10 glassses of water per day (it's good for more than just your hair)
  9. Combing no more than twice per day (roller setting, wrapping, or flex rod setting will make this possible):perplexed
  10. 30 minutes of exercise at least 3 times per week (yes, walking counts, but working up a good sweat is even better!):D
I'm really excited about this challenge. Also, it would be really neat if everyone could share progress photos each month throughout the challenge. I'll make sure mine are uploaded and ready to go at the start of the challenge. Send a cyber shout if you want in!!!

I'm in! I am a newbie and was feeling a bit discouraged because it seemed that everyone here already had length. I cut my shoulder length hair back in November because I had an incident with a sew in and it caused a lot of breakage on my right side, so I chopped it all off and decided to start all over. Currently my hair is layered, some above my ear, some at the ear level and the rest a little past my ear but not yet touching my shoulder, something like Kelly Rowland’s in that Nelly video "Dilemma". There is a picture of what my hair looks like in my avatar. My only issues would be the no heat, I usually curl once a week and the relaxer stretch, but I am going to try. I know the curling can't be done because I go to the salon every two weeks, so I will at least cut it back to every two weeks! :)

I only have a few questions:

What is a pre-poo and perplexed?

Does putting Vatika oil on the scalp before bed count as an oil treatment or do you mean hot oil?

jaded_faerie

Im in...
this sounds like a great challenge!
current length: 3inch twa

Id like to be 7inches in length by December! :)

sizefouramour

Count me in! I'm new & I need to update my profile and everything, but I am chin-length 4b and I want thicker, healthier, longer hair!

Choklatekiss79

I'm in! I am a newbie and was feeling a bit discouraged because it seemed that everyone here already had length. I cut my shoulder length hair back in November because I had an incident with a sew in and it caused a lot of breakage on my right side, so I chopped it all off and decided to start all over. Currently my hair is layered, some above my ear, some at the ear level and the rest a little past my ear but not yet touching my shoulder, something like Kelly Rowland’s in that Nelly video "Dilemma". There is a picture of what my hair looks like in my avatar. My only issues would be the no heat, I usually curl once a week and the relaxer stretch, but I am going to try. I know the curling can't be done because I go to the salon every two weeks, so I will at least cut it back to every two weeks! :)

I only have a few questions:

What is a pre-poo and perplexed?

Does putting Vatika oil on the scalp before bed count as an oil treatment or do you mean hot oil?

Welcome Poetrygirl!!!!:)

A pre-poo is when you pre treat your hair with some type of conditioner or oil treatment before you wash it. For me it helps to strenthen my hair before I wash it so theat I minimize breakage and shedding.

Sure Vatika oil on the scalp is just fine. From what I've learned so far on LHCF, oiling/sealking the ends is just as important if you want to retain length.;)

Choklatekiss79

Mahalialee4Just wanted to encourage all you ladies to stick with the goals. I started where you are in length as did many others. But be assured your goals are possible. bonjour

Thank you so much!!!:)

Choklatekiss79

12 Days Til The chllenge Begins!!!! :D :D :D

Here's who is in so far:

Chocolatekiss79
SexySin985
candy1214
caribeandiva (+ heat?)
Anancy
MamaBraidedIt
ms.gafeney
hothair (3 month pic update)
B-Phlyy (- vitamins?)
Scarcity21
MissCongeniality
Tishee
jnicole
pamsc29210
locabouthair
Ms. Cleo
crvlingrhair
ldp
Me2
SNYemma
Incredible1one
princessdi
newflowers
GrowmeNow
intellect sensual
SSBD
Poetrygirl
jaded faerie
sizefouramour
tiger4513

I hope didn't leave any one off. If I did, let me know. I'll update the list as we closer to April 1.

Oh.....I started my hair journal, so feel free to take a peak and see my humble beginning. ;)

Happy Hair Care!

HisBestFriend

I am in! Like alot of the ladies participating, I am a newbie. I have a question. I already know that I will spend the majority of my time in braids. Can I still participate if I don't intend to relax my hair until September?

I say intend because we all know about the "best laid plans"!

Choklatekiss79

I am in! Like alot of the ladies participating, I am a newbie. I have a question. I already know that I will spend the majority of my time in braids. Can I still participate if I don't intend to relax my hair until September?

I say intend because we all know about the "best laid plans"!

Sure!!!:D I was just thinking that it would be good to try to push the whole chemical thing as far as possible. September is well beyond 12 weeks.

Thanks for joining the party!!! :)

lwoodar3

Hello I am new here and I would love to join since I just cut off 5 inches of my hair in DECEMBER 2006 I am starting fresh and this would be my first challenge here I'm excited:p

kweenameena

count me in. I'm natural, about a half to a whole inch from Shoulder length stretched. But I want to get there unstretched. So I'll be protective styling and trying to work out. The water thing is going to be a struggle but I need to do it!!!!! Yay, I'm excited!

Choklatekiss79

count me in. I'm natural, about a half to a whole inch from Shoulder length stretched. But I want to get there unstretched. So I'll be protective styling and trying to work out. The water thing is going to be a struggle but I need to do it!!!!! Yay, I'm excited!

YAY!!!! :D You can do it!

Choklatekiss79

*****************4 Days Til Kickoff!!!!**************
Hey Ladies, our challenge offically starts in four days! WOOHOO! I'm so excited. :D Amazing how quickly time went....

Anywho.....Just thought I'd post a friendly reminder and see if there are any more "shorties" who want to ride this thing out with us for the rest of the year.

Who's In So Far
Chocolatekiss79
SexySin985
candy1214
caribeandiva (+ heat?)
Anancy
MamaBraidedIt
ms.gafeney
hothair (3 month pic update)
B-Phlyy (- vitamins?)
Scarcity21
MissCongeniality
Tishee
jnicole
pamsc29210
locabouthair
Ms. Cleo
crvlingrhair
ldp
Me2
SNYemma
Incredible1one
princessdi
newflowers
GrowmeNow
intellect sensual
SSBD
Poetrygirl
jaded faerie
sizefouramour
tiger4513
HisBestFriend
Iwoodar3
kweenameena

glamazon386

Count me in. I'm natural with neck length hair. I don't put oil on my hair though so that twice a day req for moisturizing or oil won't be on my list. :) Oh yeah, I'll probably get my hair flat ironed at the salon once or twice between now and the end of the challenge to check progress.

tnorenberg

Count me in. The only other challenge I've been in was the No New Products till Jan. '07. That was hard. But I'm kind of already doing this one. Wish me luck.