Great Lengths Challenge - Mid Neck and Above

Choklatekiss79

Welcome bmoreflyygirl and tnorenberg!!!!!:)

It's going to be so awesome when we all have stunning before and after and growth comparison pics at the end of the year. :D :D

I CAN'T WAIT!

p31woman

I'm in!
I just cut the VAST majority of my permed ends off.
I have been transitioning since August 06. My hair is neck length, which surprised me since I have only been transitioning for 7 months.
(I'm about 97% natural now, 3 or 4 inches permed):cool:
Good luck with this challenge everyone!:)

Last edited:

bocagirl

I would like to join. My hair is very short. The back is shaved and the sides are about the top of my ears if that long. You'll see better what I mean when I post the pic at the start of the challenge.

Because my hair is so short I'll have to tweak your requirements as I'll definately need to relax more often.

septemberbaby

Count me in please! This is my first challenge. I BC'd in January to just past my ears. I just relaxed on 3/23. Now I'm just past my jaw line. I hope to make shoulder length by the end of the year. :)

br0wney3z

This is a great challenge. I just joined and was looking for a way to really keep up with my goal for this year. So count me in. Chin length.

Growinpainz

i'm in

starting pic March 16 2007

audacity.

Choklatekiss79 said:
Hello Everyone:

It's so encouraging as a newbie to find LHCF and see that so many women with varying hair types have grown their hair to beautiful lengths.

For us short and sassy sisters, I thought it would be fun to form a mini support group. If you're neck length and above and want to achieve greater lengths, join the challenge and let's make it happen!

The Great Lengths Challenge will begin April 1, 2007 and will run for 9 months until December 31, 2007.

Rules:
  1. ABSOLUTELY NO HEAT!!! (hood dryers OK):eek:
  2. ***Since many of us may not be able to pull our hair into a bun or pony just yet, baggying and co washing are optional.***
  3. 9-12 week relaxer stretches (YOU CAN DO IT!):lol:
  4. Weekly pre-poos and shampoos (This can be done bi-weekly if you are doing the co-wash method.)
  5. Weekly deep conditioners (moisture or protein depending on what your hair needs from week to week)
  6. Twice a day moisture and oil treatments
  7. At least two vitamin supplements per day
  8. 8-10 glassses of water per day (it's good for more than just your hair)
  9. Combing no more than twice per day (roller setting, wrapping, or flex rod setting will make this possible):perplexed
  10. 30 minutes of exercise at least 3 times per week (yes, walking counts, but working up a good sweat is even better!):D
I'm really excited about this challenge. Also, it would be really neat if everyone could share progress photos each month throughout the challenge. I'll make sure mine are uploaded and ready to go at the start of the challenge. Send a cyber shout if you want in!!!

Happy Hair Care!:)
BTW: I'm a chin length 4A or B striving for shoulder legnth by the end of the year.

ok, mine is a little longer than mid neck, but i am up for the challenge. i need a little clarification on some of the criteria though...

1.) what are pre-poos and co-washes
2.) do you "bag" at night
3.) what deep conditioners/protein treatments do you all recommend
4.) are you suggesting any particular vitamin supplements

i think that is it. thanks for the challenge and i am really looking forward to it! good luck, y'all!

Choklatekiss79

!!!!!!3 More Days Til Takeoff!!!!!

:D :D Welcome!!!!!!:D :D
DenverGirl
Growinpainz
br0wney3z
bgyrl
mysmallbiz (my nape is my issue too...)
auntybe
p31woman
bocagirl (I feel you on the relaxer thing):)
rose2grce
shakira74
Toy-Pisces

I hope I didn't leave anyone out.

DenverGirl.......
Pre poos are when you condition your hair before you wash it. Basically you take any conditioner and put it on your hair while it's dry, let it sit for 10-30 minutes and rinse it out before you wash it. It gives your hair additional stregnth to combat breakage/shedding during the washing process. I like to use protein conditioners for pre poo-ing and moisturizing conditioners after I shampoo.

Co washes are when you wash your hair with conditioner only (no shampoo). Some people do this because most shamppos contain ingredents that are really harsh on the hair. Co washing is great if you work out a lot or just want to rinse or lightly clense your hair and scalp a few times a week.

Baggying is when you use a mixture of conditioners and or oils on your hair, place a plasitc cap over the hair and just let it sit on over night or all day. The idea is to retain the hair's moisture. I don't do the baggy thing because my hair isn't long enough to pull back into a bun or ponytail the next day. I'd be looking a hot mess!!:lol:

These are my favs...
Protein: Silk Elements Conditioning Mayonaise, Nexxus Keraphix
Moisture: Silk Elements Moisturizing Conditioner, Nexxus Humectress
Leave Ins: Sebastian Potion 9, Paul Mitchell's "The Cream", NTM SilkTouch
Vitamins: Olay Daily Effects, Biotin, Spirulina, MSM, Flax Seed Oil, Omega 3

HTH!!:D

strenght81

Yay my first challenge. I will love to join. I am fairly new to the boards as far as posting but I've been a lurker since 2003. My hair is shoulder lenght in the back and chin lenght in the front. I want full, healthy chin lenght hair for now so my goals for this challenge is to strenghten my hair and hopefully grow 2 inches by june so I can cut it to an even chin lenght bang bob. Then I will begin to grow it out to shoulder lenght or shorter I am not interested in long hair. I want healthy hair, that is full again so count me in. Hopefully by the end of this challenge I will b there. BTW I cant take any vitamins.

Choklatekiss79 said:
Hello Everyone:

It's so encouraging as a newbie to find LHCF and see that so many women with varying hair types have grown their hair to beautiful lengths.

For us short and sassy sisters, I thought it would be fun to form a mini support group. If you're neck length and above and want to achieve greater lengths, join the challenge and let's make it happen!

The Great Lengths Challenge will begin April 1, 2007 and will run for 9 months until December 31, 2007.

Rules:
  1. ABSOLUTELY NO HEAT!!! (hood dryers OK):eek:
  2. ***Since many of us may not be able to pull our hair into a bun or pony just yet, baggying and co washing are optional.***
  3. 9-12 week relaxer stretches (YOU CAN DO IT!):lol:
  4. Weekly pre-poos and shampoos (This can be done bi-weekly if you are doing the co-wash method.)
  5. Weekly deep conditioners (moisture or protein depending on what your hair needs from week to week)
  6. Twice a day moisture and oil treatments
  7. At least two vitamin supplements per day
  8. 8-10 glassses of water per day (it's good for more than just your hair)
  9. Combing no more than twice per day (roller setting, wrapping, or flex rod setting will make this possible):perplexed
  10. 30 minutes of exercise at least 3 times per week (yes, walking counts, but working up a good sweat is even better!):D
I'm really excited about this challenge. Also, it would be really neat if everyone could share progress photos each month throughout the challenge. I'll make sure mine are uploaded and ready to go at the start of the challenge. Send a cyber shout if you want in!!!

Happy Hair Care!:)
BTW: I'm a chin length 4A or B striving for shoulder legnth by the end of the year.

audacity.

Thank you chklatekiss! I am SO excited and cannot wait until the end of the year to see my progress!!! YAY!!!

Choklatekiss79 said:
!!!!!!3 More Days Til Takeoff!!!!!

:D :D Welcome!!!!!!:D :D
DenverGirl
Growinpainz
br0wney3z
bgyrl
mysmallbiz (my nape is my issue too...)
auntybe
p31woman
bocagirl (I feel you on the relaxer thing):)
rose2grce
shakira74
Toy-Pisces

I hope I didn't leave anyone out.

DenverGirl.......
Pre poos are when you condition your hair before you wash it. Basically you take any conditioner and put it on your hair while it's dry, let it sit for 10-30 minutes and rinse it out before you wash it. It gives your hair additional stregnth to combat breakage/shedding during the washing process. I like to use protein conditioners for pre poo-ing and moisturizing conditioners after I shampoo.

Co washes are when you wash your hair with conditioner only (no shampoo). Some people do this because most shamppos contain ingredents that are really harsh on the hair. Co washing is great if you work out a lot or just want to rinse or lightly clense your hair and scalp a few times a week.

Baggying is when you use a mixture of conditioners and or oils on your hair, place a plasitc cap over the hair and just let it sit on over night or all day. The idea is to retain the hair's moisture. I don't do the baggy thing because my hair isn't long enough to pull back into a bun or ponytail the next day. I'd be looking a hot mess!!:lol:

These are my favs...
Protein: Silk Elements Conditioning Mayonaise, Nexxus Keraphix
Moisture: Silk Elements Moisturizing Conditioner, Nexxus Humectress
Leave Ins: Sebastian Potion 9, Paul Mitchell's "The Cream", NTM SilkTouch
Vitamins: Olay Daily Effects, Biotin, Spirulina, MSM, Flax Seed Oil, Omega 3

HTH!!:D

br0wney3z

I had a few questions since I'm still very new to this whole idea of really loving your hair. I always heard that you should only wash your hair 2-3 a month, but i'm seeing that some people do it 2 a week!! How good is that for the hair? And second, I am probably going to end up having my hair in braids to try and stretch, what would be the best way to maintain my regimen during those periods.

locabouthair

br0wney3z said:
I had a few questions since I'm still very new to this whole idea of really loving your hair. I always heard that you should only wash your hair 2-3 a month, but i'm seeing that some people do it 2 a week!! How good is that for the hair? And second, I am probably going to end up having my hair in braids to try and stretch, what would be the best way to maintain my regimen during those periods.

if you wear braids make sure you use a braid spray every day to keep them moisturized.

Choklatekiss79

The Challenge Begins In 2 Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're rolling deep ladies! Just imagine how many progress updates our fellow LHCF sisters are going to have to read by the end of the year!!!:D

Who's In So Far
Chocolatekiss79
SexySin985
candy1214
caribeandiva (+ heat?)
Anancy
MamaBraidedIt
ms.gafeney
hothair (3 month pic update)
B-Phlyy (- vitamins?)
Scarcity21
MissCongeniality
Tishee
jnicole
pamsc29210
locabouthair
Ms. Cleo
crvlingrhair
ldp
Me2
SNYemma
Incredible1one
princessdi
newflowers
GrowmeNow
intellect sensual
SSBD
Poetrygirl
jaded faerie
sizefouramour
tiger4513
HisBestFriend
Iwoodar3
kweenameena
DenverGirl
Growinpainz
br0wney3z
bgyrl
mysmallbiz
auntybe
p31woman
bocagirl
rose2grce
shakira74
Toy-Pisces
strenght81
miss Congeniality
aloha bef

Any more takers?????:)

Cayenne0622

I can't do "no heat" for that long. lolol But I can do all of the other rules because that's what I'm doing anyway. Am I still allowed to play? :D

pjrndon

I'm new to this trying to get adapted to the new language but I'm definitely interesting in joining. :D

eunique

i wanna do it ... but a couple rules are just farfetched for me rotf. i'm gonna think on it though. its nice to see a challenge for the sisters with shorter hair though. i need some support lol.

MzLady78

I'm in!!! I'm getting a relaxer next weekend (I think). I'm gonna make a fotki so I can start tracking my progress.