Grow Hair Long Tips

CurleeDST

Hair Vitamins & Hairstyling Tips: 8 Hair Growth Secrets
Karen Marie Shelton
Date: 06/30/2006

Introduction
The human thyroid gland plays an important role in the ability to grow healthy hair. A sluggish thyroid gland may not be able to generate the proper amount of hormones that regulate overall metabolism and other bodily functions with govern the body's overall ability to grow and maintain healthy tresses. This is known as hypothyroidism.

Although hypothyroidism can only conclusively be proven through blood tests, common symptoms include feeling exhausted and losing more hair than normal. For some people, their hair will become dry, brittle and more prone to breakage.

Health experts believe that more than 10 million Americans may suffer from undiagnosed hypothyroid disease.

If you have been tested and have a clean bill of thyroid health, the problem may be a general lack of energy due to stress, poor diet or other lifestyle issues.

Consider adopting some of the following secrets to boost your natural energy, support your thyroid and encourage the growth of new strands that are healthy, shiny and less prone to dryness or breakage. Continued below ↓

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Drink Recommended Daily Amount Of Water
Coffee, tea, sugar drinks or beer does not count in your daily water count. Water means exactly that - water. Carbonated and caffeinated drinks may actually speed up dehydration which means that the body is not functioning at optimal levels. Not only can dehydration make you feel drained and exhausted, it can be a hidden factor in hair growth stoppage, dry strands or tresses that break off.

Adjust your daily levels according to the seasons of the year (hot weather may require more daily water consumption) and the amount of stress in your life.

When pressed for exact formulas, most experts can not give a simple answer to how much water humans should drink every day. A general rule of thumb is for women to drink between 2 and 2.6 liters of water a day. For men the rule of thumb is 2.8 to 3.5 liters.

There are many exceptions to this general rule of thumb which are tied back to age, lifestyle, weight and climate. In essence, experts advise that you replace all the water that you excrete every day.

2. Drink Green Tea
As always, experts disagree with the merits of green tea and whether or not it does conclusively help hair health and encourage growth.

Experts who believe in the hair health benefits of green tea point to the fact that certain compounds found in green tea cause the relaxation of blood vessels, helping overall cardiovascular activity through increased circulation. Of course increased circulation will naturally help nourish hair roots and scalp tissues.

3. Take A Brisk Walk Several Times A Week
Experts have discovered that walking at a quick pace for just 15 minutes will help to raise your normal heart rate which improves circulation to your entire body, including to your scalp and hair follicles. It also helps shake out the cobwebs and aids in a feeling of alertness and energy.

The ideal time to take a walk is about one hour after a meal. This allows your body to digest and puts less overall strain on your system.

Of course it is important to always consult with your personal physician before beginning any new exercise routine that would be strenuous in any way.

It is also best to avoid walking at the hottest times of the day. And yes, don't forget your sunscreen, regardless of the time of year that you walk, which is why many people have become devoted mall walkers.

4. Get Enough Sleep
Many people are sleep deprived. As a result of daily stresses and strains studies have found that humans are getting less and less sleep. For the body to function at optimal capability, which includes having the necessary energy to nourish and grow hair, humans need enough sleep.

Unfortunately there is no pat answer for how much sleep is enough. Again, it depends on the individual. Most sleep experts recommend an average of 6-8 hours for active adults. Depending on age, health conditions and other factors you may need more than 8 or be able to survive on a little less.

As a result of more sleep deprived people, cat naps are becoming more popular. A great way to get a daily energy boost is to schedule a 20 minute cat nap. Be sure not to sleep longer than 20 minutes though or else you will more tired than before you napped. Studies have shown that 20 minutes is the very best amount of time for getting maximum benefit. So set an alarm for exactly 20 minutes and catch some mid-day Zzzs.

5. Eat Energy Snacks
When hunger hits between meals, eat to nourish your hair roots. Reach for one handful of unsalted natural cashews or a few almonds. Almonds are loaded with magnesium which is an essential mineral for growing healthy strands.

Other good hair healthy snacks include yogurt, hard boiled eggs and tofu which all have great nutrients to help hair grow.

6. Indulge In Daily Aromatherapy
Many studies have been done on the effects of aromatherapy when used in daily or regular scalp massages for both healthy hair and scalp as well as overall health.

Studies have found that there is a direct link between the use of aromatherapy and hair growth.

A study performed by the Archives of Dermatology in 1998 by Scottish researchers found that aromatherapy can promote new hair growth. Patients who massaged various aromatherapy oils on their scalps every day enjoyed significant and measurable improvement in their hair growth.

7. Laughter Is The Best Medicine
Attitude is everything. Studies have shown that chronic negative moods can impact the human body and cause all human systems to slow down or become sluggish. This includes the circulatory system which feeds the roots of the hair, helping it to grow and remain properly nourished. When life gets you down rent a funny movie or read a humorous book. Take a break and have some fun to light your mood.

8. Eat Power Foods
Extreme diets that eliminate major food groups can be detrimental to healthy hair and can actually cause a slow down in new hair production. Diets that are too low in calories or completely eliminate either proteins or carbs can stimulate a form of alopecia that causes hair loss. Always eat a balanced food plan that incorporates healthy amounts of proteins and carbs. Don't forget to take either your daily vitamins or your hair growth vitamins like HairTopia vitamins.

Summary
Consider adopting some of the following secrets to boost your natural energy, support your thyroid and encourage the growth of new strands that are healthy, shiny and

Thanks a lot for posting this. Very informative ... I'm glad to see that all the green tea I've been drinking for the sake of my metabolism is also good for the hair!

CurleeDST

Sure thing, very informative and hopefully confirmation many are already on the right track for healthy body and hair.

God bless ladies!!! ;)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Thanks for posting! Next month, I have an appointment to get more blood work done to see if I have hypothyroidism. I hope everything works out for me!

Melojoy

Thanks for posting this. I have a thyroid condition complete with four non cancerous goiters and take a synthetic hormone for this. I have married myself to an organic diet eating very few conventional foods and very little organic meat. I also drink water like it's going out of style. (you can read about it in my fotki journal). My hair is growing, thick and strong which means that eating right and taking care of your hair works. I am hoping to get a new digi cam soon so that my pictures are clear.;)