nyeredzi

I hear you about overtrimming, though. I wanted to do maintenance trims every 3 months because I never want to be in a position again where I had a bunch of splits and had to cut off more than I wanted at one time. I want to stay on top of it. That and the fact that I'll be wearing my hair out most of the time, which I don't really want to compromise on. I guess this year will be a test to see if I can retain length without protective styling if the rest of my regimen is on point.

A lot to consider though. Maybe I'll go in for my first dusting at 4 months instead of 3 and see how everything is looking and re-asses from there.

I think that's a good plan. I have my doubts about how much one can retain having a stylist trim your hair every 3 months. Almost all of them over trim, saying you "need" it. What does need even mean for hair, which is dead? If your hair was not causing you problems before and it looked okay to you before, who's to say that your hair "needed" several inches trimmed off. Needed for what? Definitely assess again after the first trim.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

I haven’t focused on growth in years. But now that I wear my hair curly, I’m so impatient for it to get longer.

I’ve never had hair shorter than SL, I just feel weird wearing it this short. Every time I look in the mirror, it catches me off guard and I’ve been wearing it this way for 6 months now. I NEED more hair.

syrk

I do from the front hairline over the head

I think that's a good plan. I have my doubts about how much one can retain having a stylist trim your hair every 3 months. Almost all of them over trim, saying you "need" it. What does need even mean for hair, which is dead? If your hair was not causing you problems before and it looked okay to you before, who's to say that your hair "needed" several inches trimmed off. Needed for what? Definitely assess again after the first trim.

Will do. I do trust my stylist, though. She’ll tell me how much she thinks needs to be trimmed, but will then ask me how much I want her to take off and will only take off that much. So far so good after a year of seeing her. Very particular about who touches my hair, definitely wouldn’t sit in anyone’s chair. I agree, though. It's so hard to find trustworthy stylists. Not a lot of good options around me, but I think I found a decent one.

My original thoughts were - assuming I get the average half inch per month, that would be 6 inches per year of growth. I was fine with having .25 inches or so taken off every 3 months for a maintenance trim if it meant always having fresh healthy ends. I’d still retain most of my length, that would be about 1 inch trimmed for the year and 5 inches retained. In my mind even 4 inches retained would be a win (if I ended up having to trim slightly more sometimes).

I hear you guys though, I could be retaining even more. I think I'm just paranoid from constantly hearing how splits will travel up the hair shaft and cause even more damage and how single strand knots will cause even more knots so I want to stay on top of it. Will keep this all in mind, thank you.

Mapleoats

Will do. I do trust my stylist, though. She’ll tell me how much she thinks needs to be trimmed, but will then ask me how much I want her to take off and will only take off that much. So far so good after a year of seeing her. Very particular about who touches my hair, definitely wouldn’t sit in anyone’s chair. I agree, though. It's so hard to find trustworthy stylists. Not a lot of good options around me, but I think I found a decent one.

My original thoughts were - assuming I get the average half inch per month, that would be 6 inches per year of growth. I was fine with having .25 inches or so taken off every 3 months for a maintenance trim if it meant always having fresh healthy ends. I’d still retain most of my length, that would be about 1 inch trimmed for the year and 5 inches retained. In my mind even 4 inches retained would be a win (if I ended up having to trim slightly more sometimes).

I hear you guys though, I could be retaining even more. I think I'm just paranoid from constantly hearing how splits will travel up the hair shaft and cause even more damage and how single strand knots will cause even more knots so I want to stay on top of it. Will keep this all in mind, thank you.

From personal experience, splits and SSK have been haunting me for YEARS, so I would definitely suggest staying on top of it. This coming year, or atleast the first 6 months of this year I plan to get 1/8 to 1/4 trimmed every 6-8 weeks. Finally think I have found a stylist I can trust with this. Hopefully that'll solve my problems and still allow me to see some growth.

NaturalShe94

Nice! I haven't been on this regimen too long. Did you find the twist help prevent SSK and splits?

Protective styling and low manipulation have helped with that. I’ve come to realize that I cannot prevent split ends 100 percent as long as the wind blows. When hair gets longer, it WILL split. If you trim just because you see splits, you’ll never see progress. Once my hemline is full, my ends are not thinned, stragely, see through, resisting so much I can’t even get my fingers through it, or Im not seeing a ton of breakage then they dont bother me. My ends are tucked and unexposed everyday of the week and is under a bonnet as long as I am home.

ETA: I never see SSKs. I think its because my hair is always in a plait.

Last edited:

Mapleoats

Protective styling and low manipulation have helped with that. I’ve come to realize that I cannot prevent split ends 100 percent as long as the wind blows. When hair gets longer, it WILL split. If you trim just because you see splits, you’ll never see progress. Once my hemline is full, my ends are not thinned, stragely and resisting so much I can’t even get fingers through it, then they dont bother me. My ends are tucked and unexposed everyday of the week and is undee a bonnet as log

Thanks, maybe I need to just accept the splits then, even though they drive me crazy :spinning: haha

GettingKinky

Do you ladies trim your hair straight or curly? I haven’t straightened my hair in a little over 2 years because the last time I got my hair straightened I got heat damage.
In the past 7 months I’ve gotten 2 Deva cuts, but I’m not sure how thoroughly that type of cut is for removing all the SSKs.

NaturalShe94

Do you ladies trim your hair straight or curly? I haven’t straightened my hair in a little over 2 years because the last time I got my hair straightened I got heat damage.
In the past 7 months I’ve gotten 2 Deva cuts, but I’m not sure how thoroughly that type of cut is for removing all the SSKs.

I dust on curly hair. I get my hair trimmed on straight hair, or if I choose to trim myself, it’ll be on straight hair. To prevent heat damage, use a heat protectant. Also, do not straighten on the highest setting. Use a lower setting just to get your hair straight enough to trim.

GettingKinky

I dust on curly hair. I get my hair trimmed on straight hair, or if I choose to trim myself, it’ll be on straight hair. To prevent heat damage, use a heat protectant. Also, do not straighten on the highest setting. Use a lower setting just to get your hair straight enough to trim.

I never straighten my hair myself. I always let my stylist do it. But now I’m so paranoid about heat damage, I don’t plan to straighten unless I plan to stop wearing it curly.

faithVA

I'm representing the shorties on the board. I hope to grow and retain more than I have before.

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Natural

Current Length: SL

Goal Length: APL

Plan to reach goal length:
I've cut off all of my bad ends. I have made changes to my regimen to try to retain moisture. I will keep fine tuning my regimen, try to keep my ends healthy and try to improve my growth rate.

Regimen:
1. Cleanse weekly
2. Deep condition
3. Oil rinse
4. LOC or LCO (leave-in, moisturizer, pomade)
5. Moisturize ends and reseal with pomade
6. Flat twist

If doing 2 strand twists
4. Need to work on LOC ingredients (leave-in, ?, gel)
5. 2 strand twist

Protective Styles: Flat twist, 2 strand twist

Staple Products:
TGIN leave-in
TGIN honey hair mask
Home made oil blend
Mane Choice Daily Moisturizer

Starting Pic:
20191213_225608.jpg 20191213_225936.jpg 20191213_225956.jpg

Napturallypretty1908

Hi ladies!!!

I'm growing out my hair from a blonde short cut. I cut off all the blonde in September but I'm still learning my hair so some of my answers might not be too detailed.

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Natural

Current Length: Neck length, stretched

Goal Length: my main focus is getting my thickness back along my edges but long term goal is mid back stretched

Plan to reach goal length: Protective Style and monitor diet and stress levels through journaling (I think the thinking came from stress).

Regimen: I'm thinking Protective Style for 3 months and then trim while straighten/stretched. Wear out for 1 month then go back to protective styling for 3 months.

Protective Styles: sew-ins, wigs and braids

Staple Products: My hair hasn't been responding all that well to my current staples so I'm trying out new things.

Starting pics aren't uploading but I will try again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ptubFLiAN2t14L4HA

Last edited:

ckisland

From personal experience, splits and SSK have been haunting me for YEARS, so I would definitely suggest staying on top of it. This coming year, or atleast the first 6 months of this year I plan to get 1/8 to 1/4 trimmed every 6-8 weeks. Finally think I have found a stylist I can trust with this. Hopefully that'll solve my problems and still allow me to see some growth.

Since I keep my hair straight, my hair can't hide any damage or bad ends. My ends were looking a mess earlier this year because of being fried to death, and they looked just awful. My hair seems to grow about 7 in. a year, so I plan to retain about 5 in. trimming 1/4 in every other month starting in January. It's sounds excessive, but it's less than what I usually end up randomly cutting in a year :spinning: :spinning:

ckisland

I just watched 2 long haired youtubers, who both keep their hair straight (one relaxed, one natural). I want to start the new year off on the right foot, so I'm going to do a major overhaul of my regimen and see if I get better retention. I used to take such good care of my hair years ago, but I've gotten so half-butt over the years.

Changes to Regimen:
Only comb hair on wash day
Only use a wide tooth comb (I use a paddle brush and denman)
Use sulfate-free shampoo
DC once a week
Handle hair gently and in sections
Moisturize and seal between washes
No heat all of January

It's crazy, but I don't do these things now. Like I haven't been on here for a thousand years and know better

GettingKinky

I just watched 2 long haired youtubers, who both keep their hair straight (one relaxed, one natural). I want to start the new year off on the right foot, so I'm going to do a major overhaul of my regimen and see if I get better retention. I used to take such good care of my hair years ago, but I've gotten so half-butt over the years.

Changes to Regimen:
Only comb hair on wash day
Only use a wide tooth comb (I use a paddle brush and denman)
Use sulfate-free shampoo
DC once a week
Handle hair gently and in sections
Moisturize and seal between washes
No heat all of January

It's crazy, but I don't do these things now. Like I haven't been on here for a thousand years and know better

I just recently (3 months ago) added using a Felicia leatherwood brush to my regimen ( I used to only use a wide tooth comb). So far I’m liking it. The brush is so much better at getting out shed hair and I have fewer tangles.

NaturalShe94

My hair seems to be getting a bit weak near the ends. It is still straightened, but I noticed some breakage while running my fingers through it last night. I shouldn't be getting breakage while my hair is straightened. Going in with a hard protein treatment later today. Aphogee 2-step.

My hair seems to be getting a bit weak near the ends. It is still straightened, but I noticed some breakage while running my fingers through it last night. I shouldn't be getting breakage while my hair is straightened. Going in with a hard protein treatment later today. Aphogee 2-step.

What do you do for your protein treatment ?