Mapleoats

View attachment 466651

Final check in for the year ladies! Hope you are all having an amazing holiday! Started the year off with front: 10 inches, middle: 11 inches and back 9 inches. Now I’m at F: 17 M: 17.5 B: 15.5. Really happy with my results - didn’t hit my 8 inch mark but that was probably a bit too ambitious considering how many wash and goes I did. I definitely plan to do more protective styles this coming year and hoping I will hit waist length by March then just maybe hip length by the end of next year. Final photo is my last check in photo as I’m unfortunately terrible at taking photos from the back, as I’m not with my partner atm.
Wow amazing progress! your hair grew so much in a year. Do you naturally have an above average growth rate or do you do anything to enhance it?

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Final length check is at 19". As a recap, initial check in was around 16"
Starting point

At Spring check in, I was at 17"
Spring check in

At Summer check in, I was at about 18"
Summer check in

At Fall check, I was back down to around 17.5". I was not surprised at the time, because I had already posted that I'd not been treating my hair properly
Fall check in

Now I'm at about 19"

View attachment 466549

I want to blow dry for a good stretch to take a good pic, and then also perhaps do a trim for the start of the next year (and next challenge!), but I don't know if I have the energy or will to do it.

I'm currently following a Indigenous Strandz-inspired regimen. Or rather, the thing I'm mostly copying is leaving hair in twists and redoing a few every 2-3 nights. And no combs when I do it, just hands. This has made my hair more manageable since I haven't had to do all my hair at once. I've been doing this for just a month or two, so hopefully I can continue.

My goal was 20" and I didn't make it, but I'm still pretty satisfied with getting the 3". For next year, I'd start off with max 1" cut and hope and hope to get another 3" to bring me to 21". 20" is grazing hip on me, 18" is waist length.
:cowgirl:Getting on it... Thanks for mentioning the regimen.:lurking: lurking + snoozing when people mentioned the name earlier and shared about her.
I googled it and it sounds really simple... Thigh Length Natural Hair | Indigenous Strandz - Twists & Turbans (twistsandturbans.com)
Despite being longer than I can dream of for myself, a lock of your hair pulled down is pretty much even from root to end, mine will knot and break all over the place, usually midstrand...the second it grows past jaw length.
Your hair reminds me of my main hair inspiration person for at least 5 years now (Jostylin)

:urock:

Kiaray8

Wow amazing progress! your hair grew so much in a year. Do you naturally have an above average growth rate or do you do anything to enhance it?
Thank you! I don’t do anything to enhance it but I am vegetarian so that may contribute to it. I am also pretty active which I notice has a impact - I was working out like 5 times a week at the gym pre covid. Now with covid I just walk a lot although it doesn’t have the same effect weight wise but I assume it affects hair growth.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Thank you! I don’t do anything to enhance it but I am vegetarian so that may contribute to it. I am also pretty active which I notice has a impact - I was working out like 5 times a week at the gym pre covid. Now with covid I just walk a lot although it doesn’t have the same effect weight wise but I assume it affects hair growth.

I saw a special on the Marilyn Denis show on fitness during Covid19 lockdowns (without gym and if ppl live in small apartments erc)
(ETA it was also specifying for older ppl 50s and up.. because M.D. was asking about how they can boost their metabolism since it slows down.. the expert herself was in that age group)

I don't watch that show (do not like the lady seems a bit fake to me.. seems to have a young handsome black man thrown in to be 'cool' it seems .. as she is so out of sync... it comes off as awkward and fake friendliness on her part..but he is a nice person and goes with it
.but she has good topics) but it was playing at the ups waiting room.

This guest fitness instructor said she walks 45 minutes minimum a day. She said after about 30 to 45 min is when your fat burning kicks in during proper walks...
So she advised 30 min minimum (walks for ppl daily if they cannot more)... and do 10 or so minutes of weights like simple dumbbells afterwards (indoors).
She also said something about veggies mainly etc
So I think you are spot on based on that expert's advice.

Kiaray8

This guest fitness instructor said she walks 45 minutes minimum a day. She said after about 30 to 45 min is when your fat burning kicks in during proper walks... So she advised 30 min minimum (walks for ppl daily if they cannot more)... and do 10 or so minutes of weights like simple dumbbells afterwards (indoors). She also said something about veggies mainly etc So I think you are spot on based on that expert's advice.
Ooo I never knew this! It’s nice to know. I’ve definitely fallen off exercise wise this year but I think the walking helps with clearing your mind & patience as you have to do lengthy walks if you want to burn anything really. I know a lot of people take supplements like vitamins etc and see amazing results so that might be something to consider too.

apple_natural

I think being active is also what got my hair to grow a ton a couple years back. I have been abnormally sedative for like two years and so has my hair growth

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I decided to join after realizing I was lurking in this thread a little bit too much. I became a stalker, lol.

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Natural, but color-treated; fine, soft hair

Current Length: Neck length in crown, SL on sides, APL in nape (on straight hair)

Goal Length: Full APL

Plan to reach goal length: NO DIRECT HEAT, NO SALON TRIMS, wash with gloved hands, finger detangle mainly, fully detangle only once a month (with denman), slather with Queen Shea

Regimen:
Weekly- Cowash, Protein, DC (moisture) w/steam, Leave-in, Queen Shea
Monthly- Clarify, no protein, DC (moisture) w/steam, Leave-in, Queen Shea

Protective Styles: Bunning- consists of a braid rolled into a bun (may add hair to prolong bun), maybe wigs (depends on my edges)

Staple Products:
Sirod Naturals- Soapnut shampoo (clarify), Rice water leave-in
Shescentit- Tahiti Cowash, Marumallow DC (moisture)
Mizani- Kerafuse (hard protein)
OGX- Keratin Oil conditioner (mild protein)
Annabelle's Perfect Blends- various conditioners, curl puddings (her products make great creamy leave-ins to layer under Shea butter)
DIY Shea mix

Starting Pic: View attachment 454157

I did not reach my goal, but my hair is in a healthier state. I spent most of the year cutting out the ginger color in my hair. I have four more inches to cut, mainly in the crown and front portion of my head. Overall, I'm pleased with my progress. Even my edges are making an appearance. My hair length ranges from 10-12" right now.

Sidenote: I hope this post appears correctly.

Attachments

• IMG-0922.jpg
    IMG-0922.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 22

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
I did not reach my goal, but my hair is in a healthier state. I spent most of the year cutting out the ginger color in my hair. I have four more inches to cut, mainly in the crown and front portion of my head. Overall, I'm pleased with my progress. Even my edges are making an appearance. My hair length ranges from 10-12" right now.

Literally, 10 to 12 inches is my goal length (in hidden writing in signature).

Congrats.:meme:Detangling with gloved hands is brilliant. :tantrum:

felic1

Just came to report that I've been using Blue Magic on my hair for the past month on top of my leave in....when I tell you I'm not looking back? :clap::clap::clap:

My hair is SO moisturized and it's not shedding as much. It's only been a month so no significant hair growth yet, BUT I can tell that I'm retaining length. It easier to detangle my hair and I see a significant reduction in fairy knots!

I use the blue, Blue Magic every 2-3 days (Ugh! The nostalgia!). I want to go back to ALLLLL the grease now! :grin:

Now I'm gonna be on the hunt for the Castor Oil Blue Magic, their leave ins, and the black Dax. Now that I know how to properly use this on my hair, I'm going back to it and saving me some money! :yep:
I recently bought the blue magic coconut clearer version. I think because it started with petrolatum. I hope it protects my hair from breakage. I'm steal using the naturelle grow scalp balms for edges and broken areas.
The FL brush changed my life! ‘Tis all.
I need to consider this. My root areas are really coarse.

felic1

Your hair looks good.

Mapleoats

@NaturalShe94 and all other ladies in this challenge, is there one for 2021? I'd be interested in a "grow it long" challenge generally, or for lengh-specific, a "WL and longer" challenge. I already see length-specific challenges for shoulder and APL-MBL. I've got to make hip next year, dangit!
I hope the challenge continues or atleast a WL+ challenge. I’m in the APL-MBL but I still wanna hang out with you extra long haired ladies :love:

water_n_oil

Hey ladies, hair is twisted up so no pic but the bulk of my hair is WL with the very back at TBL. Stretched opposed to straightened so who knows lol. I think the biggest thing for me is the fact that the front of my hair is roughly APL stretched after having lost those sections last year.

NaturalShe94

Hi! So I will no longer be active on the forum, at least not for a long while. I started logging in a lot less but I wanted to be sure I kept up with the progress updates. I’ve got a ton of things on my plate (not bad things), things that are keeping me quite busy and helping me reach a few personal and family goals. So here’s my last update before I go. I’ve made it to full TBL, not quite classic yet but definitely almost there. I will be trimming soon though. It’s been about a year since my last trim. I’ve discovered a ton of new things about my hair on this journey and I’ve changed up a lot in my regimen. I’d also like for it to help out a few sisters that live by certain regimen simply because it’s suppose to be “healthier” for your hair.

I’ve noticed my hair is now super low porosity, it dries within minutes after a wash. Because of this, I’ve had to change up a few things. I cannot use heavy moisturising deep conditioners. They do not penetrate my stands even with heat. I also can no longer cowash, it just causes build up. I now use a 2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner in between Shampoo washes and that works much better. I can at least use a light leave in after washing with a 2 in 1. If Im going to deep condition, I have to clarify everytime under hot water or the deep conditioner will not do anything. I also do not need to deep condition often anymore. My hair seals in moisture quite well. I only DC maybe every 2 to 3 months now. After deep conditioning, using a Leave In is pointless because after washing out the DC nothing else will penetrate. All a Leave In will do is cause more frizz because it will sit on top of my hair. Instead, Ive dabbled in DC that has Silicone in it and it works wonders. The Silicone stops my hair from frizzing and all I need is a little oil at the ends. My hair is also so long that my plaited bunning protective style isnt so useful anymore. It causes tension on my edges and causes more tangles. So now I plait my hair in two pigtails and twist them together and make a bun. This has decreased knots and makes wash day easier. Ive also had to leave Shea Butter alone , it also has caused too much build up. Now I believe Shea Butter is part of the reason why my hair is in an ultimate healthy state now. My hair cuticle is so tightly closed that once moisture gets in, I don’t even need a sealant. I use my Dogrow oil very lightly and Im all set. If I use any sort of leave in or moisturiser, its aimed only toward my ends.
I believe that sort of wraps it up lol

F7E5A27C-01A2-4664-BD11-503988E83744.jpeg

Mapleoats

Hi! So I will no longer be active on the forum, at least not for a long while. I started logging in a lot less but I wanted to be sure I kept up with the progress updates. I’ve got a ton of things on my plate (not bad things), things that are keeping me quite busy and helping me reach a few personal and family goals. So here’s my last update before I go. I’ve made it to full TBL, not quite classic yet but definitely almost there. I will be trimming soon though. It’s been about a year since my last trim. I’ve discovered a ton of new things about my hair on this journey and I’ve changed up a lot in my regimen. I’d also like for it to help out a few sisters that live by certain regimen simply because it’s suppose to be “healthier” for your hair.

I’ve noticed my hair is now super low porosity, it dries within minutes after a wash. Because of this, I’ve had to change up a few things. I cannot use heavy moisturising deep conditioners. They do not penetrate my stands even with heat. I also can no longer cowash, it just causes build up. I now use a 2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner in between Shampoo washes and that works much better. I can at least use a light leave in after washing with a 2 in 1. If Im going to deep condition, I have to clarify everytime under hot water or the deep conditioner will not do anything. I also do not need to deep condition often anymore. My hair seals in moisture quite well. I only DC maybe every 2 to 3 months now. After deep conditioning, using a Leave In is pointless because after washing out the DC nothing else will penetrate. All a Leave In will do is cause more frizz because it will sit on top of my hair. Instead, Ive dabbled in DC that has Silicone in it and it works wonders. The Silicone stops my hair from frizzing and all I need is a little oil at the ends. My hair is also so long that my plaited bunning protective style isnt so useful anymore. It causes tension on my edges and causes more tangles. So now I plait my hair in two pigtails and twist them together and make a bun. This has decreased knots and makes wash day easier. Ive also had to leave Shea Butter alone , it also has caused too much build up. Now I believe Shea Butter is part of the reason why my hair is in an ultimate healthy state now. My hair cuticle is so tightly closed that once moisture gets in, I don’t even need a sealant. I use my Dogrow oil very lightly and Im all set. If I use any sort of leave in or moisturiser, its aimed only toward my ends.

View attachment 466985
Thank you for this update. Gorgeous hair and super helpful information. You will certainly be missed on the forum!

One question, (hopefully you are still checking responses) how did you know that your hair no longer needed leave ins/ less frequent DC etc. What signs/changes did you notice in your hair that led you to this realization?

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density

View attachment 466985

Congratulations and may you surpass your family goals!

NaturalShe94

Thank you for this update. Gorgeous hair and super helpful information. You will certainly be missed on the forum!

One question, (hopefully you are still checking responses) how did you know that your hair no longer needed leave ins/ less frequent DC etc. What signs/changes did you notice in your hair that led you to this realization?
No problem. I noticed because my hair doesn’t really get “dry” anymore unless I skip one too many wash days. It pretty much holds moisture for a good while. I have very minimal breakage and my hair is pretty elastic now more than ever. For those reasons, I don’t need to deep condition often, it would just be a moisture overload. I also noticed that the Leave Ins were causing frizz or even making my hair look more dry. This is because it was sitting on top of my hair. After DC or even using regular Conditioner, once my hair is rinsed, my cuticle closes. Nothing else is getting in. Only at my very ends. So now, I use just a moisturizer and plait it up. Only after using my 2in1 Poo&Con will my hair benefit from using a Leave In. Havent exactly firgured out why but I’ve def noticed.

Mapleoats

No problem. I noticed because my hair doesn’t really get “dry” anymore unless I skip one too many wash days. It pretty much holds moisture for a good while. I have very minimal breakage and my hair is pretty elastic now more than ever. For those reasons, I don’t need to deep condition often, it would just be a moisture overload. I also noticed that the Leave Ins were causing frizz or even making my hair look more dry. This is because it was sitting on top of my hair. After DC or even using regular Conditioner, once my hair is rinsed, my cuticle closes. Nothing else is getting in. Only at my very ends. So now, I use just a moisturizer and plait it up. Only after using my 2in1 Poo&Con will my hair benefit from using a Leave In. Havent exactly firgured out why but I’ve def noticed.
Thank you!

NaturalShe94

View attachment 466985
oh and I’d like to add that Ive been following the hairline to ends method for measuring to accurately measure growth progress, for those who follow measuring. I am currently at 38 inches. 41.5 inches is Classic length on me. I highly recommend this method for measuring PROGRESS. It really helps. Never did I ever think I’d get to TBL until LHCF gave me hope and never have I ever been there so I believe in you gals! And I’d like to list a few milestones where I felt “stuck” to comfort anyone who’s feeling discouraged. It was Mid-back length, Waist Length and W’hip length. W’hip length was the longest.

Last edited: