MzSwift

Alright, I'm in. I don't see a HL 2020 challenge, so I guess this is the one for me.

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: relaxed

Current Length: MBL, ~16" root to tip

Goal Length: HL ~20" root to tip

Plan to reach goal length: follow, mostly regimen below, and stop trimming so often. No more than 2 times in the year.

Regimen: detangle thoroughly once every 3 washes, wash every 7-10 days. blow dry with attachment that detangling wash, and the other two don't. one of them, finger detangle. protein treatment once every 1-2 cycles deep condition every 1-2 washes. apply at least oil, maybe leave-in + oil, after every wash, and reapply oil every 3-4 days.

Protective Styles: medium twists 2 of the 3 wash cycles. twist out the last.

Staple Products: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo and conditioner, KCNT, coconut oil, castor oil, some sort of butter (right now it's QB cocoa tree detangling ghee). some sort of protein treatment, i don't have a staple yet, but have used Aveda Damage Remedy and Aphogee 2 minute.

Starting Pic: This is right before a small trim I gave myself. But it's close enough to what it is now. I told myself I wasn't going to trim, but did it anyway. :/

View attachment 454221

Sis @nyeredzi , you meant to say "NATURAL" right????

Because let me tell you whose jaw hit the floor when I read "relaxed" :eek::eek:

NaturalShe94

I would love to be in!!!

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Natural

Current Length: APL

Goal Length: My long term goal is hip length;

Plan to reach goal length: Protective styling, no heat, only finger detangling

Regimen: in 2020, i'm revamping my hair regimen but I will keep the wash at every two weeks

Every month: clarify and do an Aphogee 2 step protein treatment

Every two weeks:
  • Prepoo: Ayurvedic hot oil
  • Wash: mix of Rhassoul clay + African black soap
  • Deep condition: Moringa Honey Deep Conditioner
  • Rinse out conditioner: Hisbiscus conditioner
  • Leave in conditioner (liquid): Mango leave in conditioner
  • Leave in conditioner (cream): Matcha tea leave in
  • Braid: Chebe hair butter
I will rebraid using LCO method every five days in between wash but the oil part will be the Chebe hair butter

Protective Styles: Single braids under a wig or two strand twists

Starting Pic:

View attachment 454227

Why such a hard protein like aphogee 2-step treatment monthly?

MzSwift

Why such a hard protein like aphogee 2-step treatment monthly?

Thank you so much for posting this! You just reminded me that there is a 2-step and a 2-min. I have a few Aphogee products and thought about trying their protein but I don't like hard protein txs on my hair.

NaturalShe94

Thank you so much for posting this! You just reminded me that there is a 2-step and a 2-min. I have a few Aphogee products and thought about trying their protein but I don't like hard protein txs on my hair.

yeah, cause thats a pretty tough treatment. When I use the 2-step, i dont need to use it again for a good while. Like another year. Of course being relaxed, maybe every 3 months. But, monthly may do more harm than good.

NaturalShe94

Question: What are y'all considering WL? Is it the smallest part of your waist or is it to your belly button?

Nooo. Im full HL and when I pull my hair to the front it doesn’t hit my belly button just yet. I’m like a tinsy winsy bit before I get to my belly button. Less than a quarter of an inch. When you pull your hair to the front it’s actually shorter. I believe at WL, when you pull the hair to the front , it will most likely sit right under the bra .

eta: i said a half inch to my belly button at first, I lied. I just rechecked it. Lol. Its like a tiny bit before my belly button.

NaturalShe94

:laugh: I consider WL the smallest part of my waist from the back, but I've seen some ladies consider WL to be where the waist of their pants hit, around where the belly button would be from the front.

Thats actually what the waist is though lol. That small curve after your upper back. Thats what I considered WL as well. Where the belly button is, is W’hip Length. That point between Waist and Hip.

Kiaray8

Happy New Years, ladies!

Question: Do you deep condition with heat? If so, what do you use for your heat source?

Happy new year too! I always deep condition with heat as I have low porosity hair. I currently just use the hot head bonnet which I heat in the microwave and leave it on 30-45minutes. I do want to invest in a hooded dryer later on in the year.

NaturalShe94

Happy New Years, ladies!

Question: Do you deep condition with heat? If so, what do you use for your heat source?

Happy New Year to you! And with a hooded dryer under high heat and a plastic shower cap always. I have a Hair Flair one that you connect your blow dryer, but, its for back up in case my hooded dryer stops working on me or Im traveling.

<-- Jealous!!

Your regi sounds like mine. I also relax 2, maybe 3 times per year and keep my hair in a PS most of the time. I also like the big surprise at relaxer day.

Haha! I wish it wasn't the case but I'm currently the president of the itty bitty committee so bras don't even do anything for me lol :( .. stretching the perms are so fun! I was thinking about getting a relaxer in April, but I decided I'm just going to wait until our July check-in... I'll thank myself later !

I shampoo twice then apply the treatment, sit under a hooded dryer for 15 mins or until the treatment gets really hard over my entire head; wash it out with step 2 (aphogee balancing conditioner) then deep condition under the hooded dryer with SM Intensive Hydrating Masque for 30-45 mins, rinse; style as usual.

So what product are you sitting under the dryer with? I don't really know anything about protein treatments but I always read about them in these challenges. Is it something you do every wash day? When my hair isn't in its protective style I will usually go to the salon by me about once every 10 days, and have them sit me under the dryer with a deep conditioner for about 15/20 minutes. I always thought was was sufficient, but I guess being relaxed I should do more.

I just purchased the Shea Moisture manuka honey and yogurt leave in spray and it smells really amazing. My hair is in box braids for the next 3 weeks (I got them 2 weeks ago) and my issue is needing to moisturizing my hair without causing excessive build up. I have great results with Shea Moisture and it might be my favorite product line at the moment. Oh ! ... and I also purchased the OLLY brand hair, skin, and nails gummy vitamins. I'll give an update in a month or two to see if I notice any difference, even though I think it takes about 2/3 months of consistent use to see any real progress.

NaturalShe94

So what product are you sitting under the dryer with? I don't really know anything about protein treatments but I always read about them in these challenges. Is it something you do every wash day? When my hair isn't in its protective style I will usually go to the salon by me about once every 10 days, and have them sit me under the dryer with a deep conditioner for about 15/20 minutes. I always thought was was sufficient, but I guess being relaxed I should do more.

I just purchased the Shea Moisture manuka honey and yogurt leave in spray and it smells really amazing. My hair is in box braids for the next 3 weeks (I got them 2 weeks ago) and my issue is needing to moisturizing my hair without causing excessive build up. I have great results with Shea Moisture and it might be my favorite product line at the moment. Oh ! ... and I also purchased the OLLY brand hair, skin, and nails gummy vitamins. I'll give an update in a month or two to see if I notice any difference, even though I think it takes about 2/3 months of consistent use to see any real progress.

So you do not need a protein treatment every wash day. When your hair is feeling mushy or you’re realizing a ton of breakage, that is usually the best time to use a really hard one like Aphogee, or any hard protein treatment. The SM Manuka Honey & Yogurt line is packed with protein and your hair is relaxed so that may be why it works really well for you. If your hair doesn’t feel like it needs a heavy treatment (you’re not noticing any breakage or weak strands) then I’d say keep on doing what you’re doing the SM line you’re using is probably keeping your well balanced with all the protein already in it.
As far as how the treatment is used: The protein treatment itself (step 1) is what I sit under the dryer with. I rinse with step 2, the balancing moisturizer. I get back under the dryer with my own deep conditioner for an hour. I only do this treatment when my hair is getting weak at the ends. Once a year or 8 months maybe? My hair is low to normal porosity so regular protein treatments won’t do well for me.
Also, to get the maximum benefits from your deep conditioner, sit under the dryer for a minimum of 30 mins.

apple_natural

I have been deep conditioning in a plastic cap overnight. I will not be doing that anymore. I'm going all the way to the instructions on the container for commercial products and about 15 minutes for my diy because my hair is so porous.

I'm doing some protein as I can, but I haven't taken the braids out for a "hard protein" and I still don't think it will fix all my split shafts and white spots... It may fill the white spots actually but I doubt it will fix the split hairs. ... I don't know how much I have still but I'm assuming a ton

Eta: I'll take the braids out to put on the aphogee treatment but then I'll have to braid it back up huuuuughhhh.:darkcloud:

Last edited:

PlanetCybertron

I do from the front hairline over the head and down the length. I just use that as my personal measuring method, because I can never get an accurate reading when I do sections from the roots to the tips.

Thanks. That's how they do it in Long Hair Community as well.[/QUOTE]

Since that was the first hair community I’ve ever joined I just adopted that method as well. I’ve done it for so long I also figured just to keep it.

kim1006

Bout time! Lol!

If you’re noticing you’re filling up the sink or tub or its more than a just a few little hairs. Honestly if i see more than 4 or 5, I’m like :cantlook:.
Here’s a small example though
View attachment 454177
My shedded/broken hairs look like number 3. However, I just realized it is partly because of an iron deficiency as well as coloring the very front part of my hair black with permanent color. Fortunately, my hair is still very dense.

I am a natural, mostly DIYer who patronized salons exclusively in the past. Being a natural DIYer is really helping me learn my hair. During my salon days, I was told I lost a LOT of hair at the bowl, but because I am really blessed to have extremely dense hair it was never a concern.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Mapleoats

Happy New Years, ladies!

I usually DC under my hooded dryer for 20-30 minutes

My shedded/broken hairs look like number 3. However, I just realized it is partly because of an iron deficiency as well as coloring the very front part of my hair black with permanent color. Fortunately, my hair is still very dense.

I am a natural, mostly DIYer who patronized salons exclusively in the past. Being a natural DIYer is really helping me learn my hair. During my salon days, I was told I lost a LOT of hair at the bowl, but because I am really blessed to have extremely dense hair it was never a concern.

Thanks for sharing!!!

how often do you wash your hair? If you’re not washing that often and it’s only shed hairs you’re seeing, it might not be an issue. I think that image was
referring to the amount of broken hairs you see, not shed.
I’m also iron deficient, recently started taking iron supplements so fingers crossed they help my hair as well.

lalla

I'm in !

Texlaxed

Current Length: WL

Goal Length: HL

Regimen:
Relax every 4 months
Protein once a month
Olaplex
Scurl + shea butter as often as needed

Protective Styles:
Buns or wigs