Buns or wigs

Staple Products:
Affirm relaxer system
Olaplex
Aphogee 2 step
Joico moisturizing conditioner
Scurl
Shea butter

Do you do the at home olaplex or the salon strength one? Also, love how simple your regimen is!

kim1006

I usually DC under my hooded dryer for 20-30 minutes

how often do you wash your hair? If you’re not washing that often and it’s only shed hairs you’re seeing, it might not be an issue. I think that image was
referring to the amount of broken hairs you see, not shed.
I’m also iron deficient, recently started taking iron supplements so fingers crossed they help my hair as well.
I wash and deep condition my hair once a week. Additionally, I may co-wash a few times a week in warmer months during this time I have a lot less shedding.

Thank you for clarifying.

Last edited:

syrk

Bleh, I want a nice light protein DC that is also moisturizing and has plenty of slip to alternate with my moisturizing DC. I think I tend to get too close to the overmoisturizing line and need to do a better job of keeping my balance in check. Love my henna, but I learned reading through some old threads on here that henna is not a substitute for protein.

Tried Miche Beauty's Strengthen DC last wash day and I thought it might be the one. Felt nice going on, good slip and hair was soft enough when I rinsed. My final twistout was way frizzier than normal though. That one's out. Maybe I can mix it with my TGIN HMM until it's used up.

Any suggestions for light protein DC's that have a good amount of moisture? Saw the Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt line mentioned. SM products don't usually work well for me, but maybe I'll try it and see. Anyone used the Aphogee Curlific Texture Treatment?

Mapleoats

Bleh, I want a nice light protein DC that is also moisturizing and has plenty of slip to alternate with my moisturizing DC. I think I tend to get too close to the overmoisturizing line and need to do a better job of keeping my balance in check. Love my henna, but I learned reading through some old threads on here that henna is not a substitute for protein.

Tried Miche Beauty's Strengthen DC last wash day and I thought it might be the one. Felt nice going on, good slip and hair was soft enough when I rinsed. My final twistout was way frizzier than normal though. That one's out. Maybe I can mix it with my TGIN HMM until it's used up.

Any suggestions for light protein DC's that have a good amount of moisture? Saw the Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Yogurt line mentioned. SM products don't usually work well for me, but maybe I'll try it and see. Anyone used the Aphogee Curlific Texture Treatment?

Have you tried Mielle organics babassu mint DC? I like it alot and it has good proteins in it

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Thanks. That's how they do it in Long Hair Community as well.

Since that was the first hair community I’ve ever joined I just adopted that method as well. I’ve done it for so long I also figured just to keep it.[/QUOTE]

I may adopt this technique. It will put me at neck length instead of APL, due to layers, but I think it will work out. Especially since my goal is to grow out my layers.

Mapleoats

Haven't tried that one or any other Mielle products. Will pick one up next time I am in Target, thanks!
It comes in an annoyingly small container but the slip is GREAT. Literally melts into the hair and spreads easily so I find I don’t need to use as much as I would for other DCs.

LonDone

PS May 2017-???
@syrk

Vatika Egg Protein is wonderful! It's dark yellow, very thick and smooth and the consistency feels like a balm - it feels so silky going on. It's not a hard protein but enough to get the job done. It's £6 here in the UK so you won't be out of pocket if it doesn't agree with your hair.

Another soft protein is Vitale Olive Oil mayonnaise - this would be my favourite but it had little "herb" bits in it about 10 years ago, and I got fed up picking them out post-wash which is the only reason I stopped using it. If they've reformulated without those (you should be able to see them through the jar) I'll make it my staple in a heartbeat.

GettingKinky

@syrk I don’t have a lot of DC experience, but I have the Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair DC for a protein DC and I like it. My hair always feels better after I use it.

NaturalShe94

This is the amount of hair I lose (mostly shed I assume) when I go for a week between washing my hair. I don’t go through the hair and look to see if every strand has a bulb attached.
View attachment 454339

Breakage usually falls to the floor (or sink/tub) while combing, brushing or handling your hair. They're a lot shorter so they tend not to get mixed in with the shed hairs. This is how I know my breakage different from my shed hairs... Are those hairs after washing and styling? Or is it just after washing alone?

syrk

@syrk

Vatika Egg Protein is wonderful! It's dark yellow, very thick and smooth and the consistency feels like a balm - it feels so silky going on. It's not a hard protein but enough to get the job done. It's £6 here in the UK so you won't be out of pocket if it doesn't agree with your hair.

Oh this looks interesting. I've heard of the Vatika oil that I feel like used to be popular back in the day, but never this mask. Think I'll pick up a jar from Amazon, thanks.

@syrk

Another soft protein is Vitale Olive Oil mayonnaise - this would be my favourite but it had little "herb" bits in it about 10 years ago, and I got fed up picking them out post-wash which is the only reason I stopped using it. If they've reformulated without those (you should be able to see them through the jar) I'll make it my staple in a heartbeat.

Looks like some of the Amazon reviews mention there's still bits of stuff in there lol too bad. Thanks for the rec

@syrk I don’t have a lot of DC experience, but I have the Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair DC for a protein DC and I like it. My hair always feels better after I use it.

Thanks! I have a small trial tube of this. I think I tried it on a section wasn't feeling it for some reason but I can't remember. I'll go find it and try it out again.

NaturalShe94

So, I'll be 6 months postpartum tomorrow. Starting at about 3 months postpartum my hair started shedding a ton, I mean like a whole lot. I cried. I was staying on my prescribed prenatal vitamins like my doc told me too (I am breastfeeding), my hormones are out of control due to me breastfeeding. I've had one cycle since I had my girl and haven't had one again. I've also gained a ton of weight for no reason. Like for real. I was all belly during my pregnancy, my doc even had me going to monthly ultrasounds because she claims I wasn't gaining like I'm suppose too. Then suddenly 2 months postpartum all this weight came on out of no where. So my body is just doing its' own thing apparently. Anyway, starting about a week ago I ditched my prenatals and bought postnatal vitamins that I happen to just run into while in Target. My shedding has calmed down TREMENDOUSLY and I even feel a lot better. My cycle just came on too, not sure if that's a good or bad thing being that I'm breastfeeding, but, I'm super happy that my hair shedding is back to normal. I started worrying about my ends. Hopefully, this means my hormones will be regulated a little better as well because I'm also not sure if postpartum/breastfeeding hormones have affected my growth rate.

GettingKinky

Breakage usually falls to the floor (or sink/tub) while combing, brushing or handling your hair. They're a lot shorter so they tend not to get mixed in with the shed hairs. This is how I know my breakage different from my shed hairs... Are those hairs after washing and styling? Or is it just after washing alone?

That’s after washing and styling. I don’t think I lose any more after I detangle, but we have dark stones on our shower floor, so I can’t tell for sure.

Congrats on the new baby!

So you do not need a protein treatment every wash day. When your hair is feeling mushy or you’re realizing a ton of breakage, that is usually the best time to use a really hard one like Aphogee, or any hard protein treatment. The SM Manuka Honey & Yogurt line is packed with protein and your hair is relaxed so that may be why it works really well for you. If your hair doesn’t feel like it needs a heavy treatment (you’re not noticing any breakage or weak strands) then I’d say keep on doing what you’re doing the SM line you’re using is probably keeping your well balanced with all the protein already in it.
As far as how the treatment is used: The protein treatment itself (step 1) is what I sit under the dryer with. I rinse with step 2, the balancing moisturizer. I get back under the dryer with my own deep conditioner for an hour. I only do this treatment when my hair is getting weak at the ends. Once a year or 8 months maybe? My hair is low to normal porosity so regular protein treatments won’t do well for me.
Also, to get the maximum benefits from your deep conditioner, sit under the dryer for a minimum of 30 mins.

Thank youu, okay awesome I'm finally getting it, good to know! Okay so since my hair isn't really suffering from breakage then I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing with my products. I consistently use the SM Jamaican back castor oil shampoo and conditioner. The other products such as hair lotions & deep conditioners I like to switch up but I think I like the Manuka Honey & Yogurt line the best. I'm going to stay away from the protein treatment for now in case it does more harm than good

Just read your postpartum post .. firstly congrats on the baby :love3: ! Did being pregnant affect your hair growth ?

Last edited:

Are you wearing your hair out or in a protective style? So far all of SM products have worked wonders on my hair however, I have it mostly in a protective style & that could be a huge reason why. Once I achieve my desired length and wear protective styles less, the product may work differently on my hair. What I really need to find is a deep conditioner that makes my hair super soft.

NaturalShe94

That’s after washing and styling. I don’t think I lose any more after I detangle, but we have dark stones on our shower floor, so I can’t tell for sure.

Congrats on the new baby!

Thank you and thats actually really good for after washing and styling after one week.

Thank youu, okay awesome I'm finally getting it, good to know! Okay so since my hair isn't really suffering from breakage then I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing with my products. I consistently use the SM Jamaican back castor oil shampoo and conditioner. The other products such as hair lotions & deep conditioners I like to switch up but I think I like the Manuka Honey & Yogurt line the best. I'm going to stay away from the protein treatment for now in case it does more harm than good

Just read your postpartum post .. firstly congrats on the baby :love3: ! Did being pregnant affect your hair growth ?

No problem and thank you! And eh, nope. I noticed a couple things though, I had almost no shedding. Im talking I’ll go through an entire wash day and style with little to no shed hairs. Also, my hair became super shiny and super strong. I would wash my hair and let it air dry and it wouldn’t frizz with NO product in it. It would dry tamed, like my hair would soak up the moisture and actually hold it. I even took a pic. Besides having no volume it was pretty amazing. This is 8 months pregnant.
Eta: the hairs hanging lower are from pulling to do a length check.
264D908A-2D83-4B11-93C7-D2BB8D19351F.jpeg

syrk

Are you wearing your hair out or in a protective style? So far all of SM products have worked wonders on my hair however, I have it mostly in a protective style & that could be a huge reason why. Once I achieve my desired length and wear protective styles less, the product may work differently on my hair. What I really need to find is a deep conditioner that makes my hair super soft.

I usually wear it out. Haven't tried a SM DC in a while though, I probably have a whole different head of hair now and it's worth trying again. Have you tried the TGIN Honey Miracle Mask? It makes my hair so buttery soft. Even after the recent formula change it's probably the best DC I've ever used.

water_n_oil

So, I'll be 6 months postpartum tomorrow. Starting at about 3 months postpartum my hair started shedding a ton, I mean like a whole lot. I cried. I was staying on my prescribed prenatal vitamins like my doc told me too (I am breastfeeding), my hormones are out of control due to me breastfeeding. I've had one cycle since I had my girl and haven't had one again. I've also gained a ton of weight for no reason. Like for real. I was all belly during my pregnancy, my doc even had me going to monthly ultrasounds because she claims I wasn't gaining like I'm suppose too. Then suddenly 2 months postpartum all this weight came on out of no where. So my body is just doing its' own thing apparently. Anyway, starting about a week ago I ditched my prenatals and bought postnatal vitamins that I happen to just run into while in Target. My shedding has calmed down TREMENDOUSLY and I even feel a lot better. My cycle just came on too, not sure if that's a good or bad thing being that I'm breastfeeding, but, I'm super happy that my hair shedding is back to normal. I started worrying about my ends. Hopefully, this means my hormones will be regulated a little better as well because I'm also not sure if postpartum/breastfeeding hormones have affected my growth rate.
Probably didn't affect the growth rate but all the loss is the hair you didn't lose while pregnant. Sucks but it subsides. Your hair is super gorgeous btw!!

NaturalShe94

Probably didn't affect the growth rate but all the loss is the hair you didn't lose while pregnant. Sucks but it subsides. Your hair is super gorgeous btw!!

thank you and yeah so I figured. This is my actual hair washed with no product in it. And it’s not even 100% dry lol! Amazing how the difference in hormones can affect our hair.
(sometime in early 2018)
5A7FCC87-20F5-4DF8-B0EF-9A228452AE12.jpeg

MzSwift

I have been deep conditioning in a plastic cap overnight. I will not be doing that anymore. I'm going all the way to the instructions on the container for commercial products and about 15 minutes for my diy because my hair is so porous.

I'm doing some protein as I can, but I haven't taken the braids out for a "hard protein" and I still don't think it will fix all my split shafts and white spots... It may fill the white spots actually but I doubt it will fix the split hairs. ... I don't know how much I have still but I'm assuming a ton

Eta: I'll take the braids out to put on the aphogee treatment but then I'll have to braid it back up huuuuughhhh.:darkcloud:

Do you mean braid extensions? If so, you don't have to take them out in order to add protein.

I'm in extensions now as well and I've always used my own spray mix of 90% water, a squirt of condish, drops of EOs for scent/stimulation (peppermint included) and fill the rest with Infusium 23 protein leave in. I've been using that spray mix since 2009 with very little buildup at take down. My hair always feels nicely conditioned but I always clarify and do a protein-moisture DC after take down just to be careful.

Oh, this year I started regularly using an ayurveda tea mix as half of my "water" and I love it! My hair has been shinier using the tea.

Maybe something like that could work for you too?

gemruby41

I'm in !

Texlaxed

Current Length: WL

Goal Length: HL

Regimen:
Relax every 4 months
Protein once a month
Olaplex
Scurl + shea butter as often as needed

Protective Styles:
Buns or wigs

Staple Products:
Affirm relaxer system
Olaplex
Aphogee 2 step
Joico moisturizing conditioner
Scurl
Shea butter

How often do you use Olaplex?

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple

Mapleoats

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Natural

Current Length:
A little above WL stretched, see pic below

Goal Length:
Hip Length stretched with healthy ends

Plan to reach goal length
: Be consistent, baby my ends, trim as needed

Regimen:

Weekly- wash, heat DC, blowdry with Revair, style. Moisturize length and seal ends as needed.

Protective Styles:
Twists, single braid, updo, dutch braids, buns.

Staple Products:
Ion Hard Water Shampoo
ITDF Moisture Wash
ITDF Intense Moisture Cream
Joico KPak Liquid Reconstructor

Starting Pic:
1/3/20- I blowdried my hair and the ends looked ROUGH. I immediately cut off 4-6 inches and I may need to trim off more in the next couple months. Sorry for wearing black, I didn't even think about it until afterward and I was too tired to take more pics. I'll do better the next update.
View attachment 454365

1st check in: April 1st
2nd check in: July 1st
3rd check in: October 1st
Final pic: December 31st

Can you share a little more how you use your revair? I have one but rarely use it as I didn't really like the way my hair came out the few times that I've used it.

What heat/tension settings are you using it on? Are you worried about damage when using it weekly? How do you style your hair after using it? The main thing I didn't like about it is that it doesn't stretch my roots at all. I knew this when I purchased it but didn't realize it would be such a deal breaker to me until I used it. Lovely hair BTW.

kim1006

Thank you and thats actually really good for after washing and styling after one week.

No problem and thank you! And eh, nope. I noticed a couple things though, I had almost no shedding. Im talking I’ll go through an entire wash day and style with little to no shed hairs. Also, my hair became super shiny and super strong. I would wash my hair and let it air dry and it wouldn’t frizz with NO product in it. It would dry tamed, like my hair would soak up the moisture and actually hold it. I even took a pic. Besides having no volume it was pretty amazing. This is 8 months pregnant.
Eta: the hairs hanging lower are from pulling to do a length check.
View attachment 454361
Your hair and skin are absolutely beautiful.

faithVA

Can you share a little more how you use your revair? I have one but rarely use it as I didn't really like the way my hair came out the few times that I've used it.

What heat/tension settings are you using it on? Are you worried about damage when using it weekly? How do you style your hair after using it? The main thing I didn't like about it is that it doesn't stretch my roots at all. I knew this when I purchased it but didn't realize it would be such a deal breaker to me until I used it. Lovely hair BTW.
It definitely can stretch your roots. How many sections are you doing?