ckisland

I've noticed that I've had less breakage since I straightened my hair again. My ends may not feel that great, but they're not snapping off when I run my fingers along my hair. I also found a way to wrap my hair using a wide tooth comb instead of a paddle brush! I hope my hair appreciates the difference.

Mapleoats

What's wrong with her ends? It sounds like @NaturalShe94 is saying her ends don't curl anymore, or don't stay together in twists anymore? Is that possible for our hair type? I assumed from that pic that her whole length was twisted and she just unraveled her ends to show them to us. And they don't look bad to me. They look like the entire length of my hair. i don't get it.

I think by herlucidsky’s standards her ends don’t look as good as she would like them to or is used to them being. I agree they don’t look bad to me either lol.

NaturalShe94

I've noticed that I've had less breakage since I straightened my hair again. My ends may not feel that great, but they're not snapping off when I run my fingers along my hair. I also found a way to wrap my hair using a wide tooth comb instead of a paddle brush! I hope my hair appreciates the difference.

That's one of the things I hate about straightening my hair, using a paddle brush to wrap.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Last Monday, I realized that my protein products need to be used together, to get the most out the them. So yesterday, I used SSI cowash first, to detangle in the shower. Then I used OGX Keratin Oil Shampoo/Conditioner. When the OGX products are used together, the slip from the conditioner is much better. I followed it up with an oil mix layered with SSI Marumallow.

I also noticed that while the protein conditioner seems to close my cuticles and define my curls, the moisturizing conditioner does the opposite. Next wash day, I’m not going to use a moisture DC after a light protein to see how my hair reacts. Using a light protein every wash day has kept the breakage away.

NaturalShe94

Last Monday, I realized that my protein products need to be used together, to get the most out the them. So yesterday, I used SSI cowash first, to detangle in the shower. Then I used OGX Keratin Oil Shampoo/Conditioner. When the OGX products are used together, the slip from the conditioner is much better. I followed it up with an oil mix layered with SSI Marumallow.

I also noticed that while the protein conditioner seems to close my cuticles and define my curls, the moisturizing conditioner does the opposite. Next wash day, I’m not going to use a moisture DC after a light protein to see how my hair reacts. Using a light protein every wash day has kept the breakage away.

Oh Lawd. Makin' my product junkie senses tingle. I'm trying to stop lol. :chocbunny:
I used to use OGX Coconut Milk Poo & Con... Then I just stopped.... Not sure why... I just did. But, I'm always looking for way to stop even the slightest amount of breakage lol.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
@NaturalShe94

I hope they never change the formula. I have two other protein products I need to use up, but I never break them out. One is Mizani Kerafuse (hard) and SSI Okra Reconstructor (weak). There is just no need for them.

I love OLLY brand vitamins. Anytime someone asks me about my hair or nails, I point to OLLY.

Honestly I have been taking them for almost a month and I am OBSESSED. I have had minimal to no break outs. I took my acrylics off and my natural nails are growing so well under the gel and I had to take my braids out two weeks early !! I love them so much I bought 3 more different ones. I also bought flawless complexion and lustrous hair (and a probiotic for my tummy but not important to this challenge lmao) not all hair skin and nail vitamins work for me and for the longest time I used to think biotin made me breakout but I guess I just needed to trial and error until I found ones that worked lol story of our lives

Yay! And Lol, yeah the new growth is less stretched once I wash and condition. One of the things I do to get a little more wear out of the style is to put it into an updo that I leave in for 1-2 weeks. I get style inspiration from loc updos a lot. But once it's up, I don't have to do much manipulation to it for a while, only spraying my scalp every other day or so.

Here are some of my old updo pix:

View media item 111831View media item 111829
View media item 107711View media item 107709
View media item 107707View media item 107703

Wow your updo’s are so beautiful & neat! Love itt. I’m definitely going to think of some way to wear it up cute next month to make it last longer. Idk if it’s healthy or not but I like to have maximum amount of growth before I take them down lol

Mapleoats

Something is definitely up with my hair. Last wash day it just wasn't acting right, difficult to Detangle and my products weren't absorbing well. Out of frustration I ended up blow drying with my revair and wearing it in a bun all week. This week I've experienced some breakage at the ends. Tomorrow's wash day and I'm gonna clarify and either do a diy treatment or do a aphogee treatment.

So I took my PS out last night (box braids) and I’m getting them redone today at 4. I have noticed a HUGE difference in how moisturized and soft my hair was during the take down since doing a deep conditioning while in the PS. I had almost no shedding, which I’ve noticed I haven’t been shedding much for the past 3 months or so. I also bought Dr. Miracles Gro Oil last week and was using it twice a day. Unsure if that helped with the moisture but I will keep using it. Also I deep conditioned with the Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil treatment masque. I have never used it before but I read amazing things about it and I needed a deep conditioner that wasn’t protein to balance out how much protein products I use. I’m literally sitting under the dryer now so I’ll update how I like it once I post my new PS later tonight.

I also have a pic that I’ll upload later to show how moisturized my hair was after take down, all I did was brush out the braid waves. I’m not sure how much it grew because I’m not wearing my length check shirt I’m waiting for the April check in for that lol

ckisland

I need to decide if I'm washing my hair every week, or stretching it out. If I do that, I'll need to see about cutting out blowdrying and lowering my flatiron temperature. I might try that just to see if DCing more helps.

NaturalShe94

Im still eating healthy thanks to thinking it's helping my hair growth. I took out my braids and twisted up the sections in order to rebraid when I get the chance.

Myself as well, but not just for my hair but because Ive gained a lot of weight in general since I had my girl. My hair growth may have slowed down a little bit. I stay at 1000 to 1100 calories a day until Ive reached my prepregnancy weight.

mayoo

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_152013~2.jpg
    IMG_20200118_152013~2.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 59

NaturalShe94

Keeping up the weekly wash consistency (begrudgingly). This time I used Elasta QP DPR-11

Also reviewed if anyone is interested
https://longhaircareforum.com/blogs...p-penetrating-remoisturising-conditioner.897/

Pic of hair after washing it out attached. It weighed my hair down a lot... I was actually shocked

Hair is currently in braid-out bun for today

So petroleum and mineral oil are sealants AND you have low porosity hair is why your hair felt weighed down and applying products made it frizzy and undefined. I typically like mineral oil in oils like the DoGro Stimulating Growth Oil, not in my DC though. It practically stops any other moisture from entering your cuticle. That DC would probably be ideal for someone with damaged high porosity hair. That DC would def be a no for me.

Mapleoats

I'm not entirely sure shea butter is for me. It makes my hair feel soft which is nice but it seems to build up in my hair quickly and takes all the slip right out my hair as soon as I apply it. Since I leave my hair in twists the majority of the time I don't really lose moisture / it's also really quick and easy to refresh the moisture so I probably don't need such a heavy Sealant anyway.

I like the Leavein-Cream- Gel method I've been using, and adding oils to my twists/ends throughout the week as needed.

Next week I'll experiment with LCG on wash day and adding water and shea butter midweek to my ends. I think my ends can take a heavy sealing better than the length of my hair. Or maybe I'm just using too much shea butter? Or I could also try Leave in, gel and then shea butter???

Not sure.

Mapleoats

Hey @syrk your wash day / regimen sounds similar to mine, except I leave my twists in during the week. Are you using the EBW coconut curl cream for your twist outs as well?

mayoo

So petroleum and mineral oil are sealants AND you have low porosity hair is why your hair felt weighed down and applying products made it frizzy and undefined. I typically like mineral oil in oils like the DoGro Stimulating Growth Oil, not in my DC though. It practically stops any other moisture from entering your cuticle. That DC would probably be ideal for someone with damaged high porosity hair. That DC would def be a no for me.

That makes so much sense
I knew that it wouldn't work beforehand but I am determined to experiment. If I can find some lesser-known staples for less £££, that would be great

If you have any DC recommendations, please let me know!

I'm usually a product minimalist so looking for new staples is a headache for me why do they have to reformulate and discontinue things :cry3:

NaturalShe94

That makes so much sense
I knew that it wouldn't work beforehand but I am determined to experiment. If I can find some lesser-known staples for less £££, that would be great

If you have any DC recommendations, please let me know!

I'm usually a product minimalist so looking for new staples is a headache for me why do they have to reformulate and discontinue things :cry3:

Girl, you asking the right & wrong person cause I'm a product junkie lol. I have so many deep conditioners, it's not funny. And none of them are cheap. I think my cheapest are the Shea Moisture ones. My favorite? Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Masque, but that joints pricey on another level. Second fave (cheaper): Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil DC or Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Marufa Oil Intense Hydrating DC (I say both for 2nd bc I rotate between the two for protein & moisture) . If I come across anything cheaper and works great, I'll let you know.

NaturalShe94

I'm not entirely sure shea butter is for me. It makes my hair feel soft which is nice but it seems to build up in my hair quickly and takes all the slip right out my hair as soon as I apply it. Since I leave my hair in twists the majority of the time I don't really lose moisture / it's also really quick and easy to refresh the moisture so I probably don't need such a heavy Sealant anyway.

I like the Leavein-Cream- Gel method I've been using, and adding oils to my twists/ends throughout the week as needed.

Next week I'll experiment with LCG on wash day and adding water and shea butter midweek to my ends. I think my ends can take a heavy sealing better than the length of my hair. Or maybe I'm just using too much shea butter? Or I could also try Leave in, gel and then shea butter???

Not sure.

Gel then Shea Butter??? I don't know about that girl. That sounds like a ton of residue, build up and 4 shampoo's.