ms.tatiana

Due to Covid & still having to go to work, I decided to keep my hair braided. So since March I’ve just been washing my hair & getting it braided. I make sure to moisturizer & oil my scalp. Hopefully I see some growth when I take my hair down.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Checking in ladies~~~

I don't even know what length this is, ladies loool. What do you think?
Maybe TBL?

Pic in the hoody is January 2020, pic in bra is this morning (June 6th 2020)
Along the way, I have done 2 super-mini trims

Length
Longest layers are about 23-24inch and ultimate goal is 30inch (for now).

Regimen
Wash 1x p/week with shampoo bar
Detangle with conditioner in the shower
Deep condition under dryer for 20-30 minutes
Set in braids or twists for the week. Wear twist out /braid out end of week
Sometimes, remoisturise and re-braid/re-twist mid-week

What I've learned/changed this year
-Less use of my tangle teezer. This was my main tool becuase I love how easy it is to use and how smooth it leaves my hair. However, I decided to just use my fingers for the last couple of months, and I'm seeing less breakage.

-Started treating my hair like it's more fragile. I have "heavy hands" that tend to destry everything they touch lol. So I'm concentrating more on treating my hair softly

-More consistent. Since quarantine started, I have been very consistent since I am working from home

-Too much water that isn't running (aka not the shower) makes my fine strands tangle

-I don't need to add everything to my deep conditioner. I'm going back to using the product as it is

I would claim TBL. Claiming it really depends upon whether you want to wait for the bulk of your hair to reach that point or not.

yamilee21

Checking in ladies~~~ ... I don't even know what length this is, ladies loool. What do you think? ...
I remember an old thread with a few of us stretching our hair out to about that length; we were wearing pants with pockets in our pictures so we called it MPPL... mid pants pocket length, :lol:. Or it can be called BCL (butt crack length). Whatever the name, you are well on your way to classic length. :D

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
F441B982-C1F5-4556-86E7-2B1B40C23088.jpeg I know I’m supposed....I’m just scissor happy and this color is getting on my nerves. It has thinned out my hair and loosened my curl pattern. I cut two inches off this evening. My hair feels better.
I will not reach my original goal, but I’m still striving for longer lengths. My goal is now APL by December.

532A1744-6CEA-45CD-8A3B-E90DC64099F1.jpeg

curly.123

View attachment 460323 I know I’m supposed....I’m just scissor happy and this color is getting on my nerves. It has thinned out my hair and loosened my curl pattern. I cut two inches off this evening. My hair feels better.
I will not reach my original goal, but I’m still striving for longer lengths. My goal is now APL by December.

View attachment 460321
healthy hair is better than long hair with dry ends

ms.tatiana

Don't forget to massage the area. It helps with circulation and relieves tension in that area. Tight muscles can hinder growth.

Thanks. I try to massage it it, but I’ve wondered if I should get a derma roller. I heard that it’s only good on freshly washed hair.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
@TamaraShaniece How do you like the curl smiler and how do you use it? Ive been following for awhile but never "knew anyone " that used her products before

Im super duper late: I love it. I use it as part of the LOC Method to seal everything in. I compare this to Belle Bar Argan & Shine Butter.

I’ll wash my hair, use leave in, oil, and styling cream to plait (6). The next day, I’ll lightly mist w/ a curl refresher spray and seal w/ the Curl Smiler and begin to 2 strand twist (24). My hair stays moisturized for 2 days. I’ll spray twist w/ a refresher spray, squeeze in some leave in and seal w/ the curl smiler. HTH

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
AFC74806-EAFB-47CF-A740-1DD9E9AAB994.jpeg 09D0A9F3-8FFA-45F8-B34B-982B5A285C6B.jpeg
My bday braids. I did them a week ago. I’ll probably take them down in a week or 2. I really want to try the prismax Hair Botox my boyfriend got me, but I should wait until August. I’ll do a trim at that time. I may put in some more braids for 4th of July or wear my short curly wig. Either way I’ll be cute! I learned to do lashes so I’m super excited

nyeredzi

So it's about time for our 2nd progress update, in about 10 days. I'm intending to do a small trim. But I've been thinking about the logic of trims. I don't really have split ends. What I have are knots. If I trim just the last 1/4" or something, I'll only get a small number of knots. Most of the knots are probably 1/2"-1" above the end of the hair. So it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to trim for the purpose of cutting out knots if I cut less than the length where all the knots are. I'd trim that 1/4" and still have all the knots. Which is one of the reasons I don't do trims that short anyway.

On the other hand, if I cut 1" more often than about once every 3 months, my hair would stay about the same length, since 1" is what I've been retaining per 3 months for the last half a year or so. So I have to cut enough for it actually have an effect, but I can't cut too often or I won't see any growth. After I cut, knots will develop quickly again, so it's not even like cutting gives me more than a month of easier detangling.

I think I"m going to aim for 1/2" this trim. That will get some of the knots, certainly not all of them. I'm not even sure if it will get most of them. But maybe it will be enough to make a difference. I might go ahead and flat iron, too, since I'm off most of this week. That would mean that of the roughly 2" I've retained in the last 6 months, I can keep 1 1/2" of it.

This woman, whose hair is nothing at all like mine, was talking about how she only trims once a year. I don't know if I'd be willing to go that long, but it was interesting to hear her talk about it (around 2:00)

Last edited:

apple_natural

My goal is now APL by December.
Good news is that your ends look thick!

As for me, I took out my mini twists a few days ago (like literally 3 days ago). .. I mean I tore out my mini twists.

It felt like hay, i've been baggying with conditioner. Its getting better. i will do an acv rinse when i shower

I wasn't sure why i was getting so much shedding until I remembered that I have not been taking my iron supplements since it is in a multi and I was not sure if I can take them at the same time as the hairfinity . I'm going to alternate the iron multi and the hairfinity. im afraid of getting too much of a synthetic vitamin in a day

well.. i hope i'm growing some hair. if i happen to make my bsl goal, the next year or two, I am going to just cut it as it passes bsl

snoop

Good news is that your ends look thick!

As for me, I took out my mini twists a few days ago (like literally 3 days ago). .. I mean I tore out my mini twists.

It felt like hay,
i've been baggying with conditioner. Its getting better. i will do an acv rinse when i shower

I wasn't sure why i was getting so much shedding until I remembered that I have not been taking my iron supplements since it is in a multi and I was not sure if I can take them at the same time as the hairfinity . I'm going to alternate the iron multi and the hairfinity. im afraid of getting too much of a synthetic vitamin in a day

well.. i hope i'm growing some hair. if i happen to make my bsl goal, the next year or two, I am going to just cut it as it passes bsl

What happened?

Did you moisturize your mini twists while you were wearing them?

Did you prep them before taking them down?

apple_natural

What happened?
Did you moisturize your mini twists while you were wearing them?
Did you prep them before taking them down?

I was moisturizing them at first, but then I fell off, so I took them all out. The roots looked matted, but they weren't. I did put on some conditioner to take them down, but not every section.

Last night, I did an ACV rinse and detangled. I didn't lose as much hair, which was great! I cowashed with Roux Porosity Conditioner something and then put on Megatek. I just rinsed that out and put more on the ends.

ETA: I just put castor oil on the roots

Last edited:

NaturalShe94

Checking in ladies~~~

I don't even know what length this is, ladies loool. What do you think?
Maybe TBL?

Pic in the hoody is January 2020, pic in bra is this morning (June 6th 2020)
Along the way, I have done 2 super-mini trims

Length
Longest layers are about 23-24inch and ultimate goal is 30inch (for now).

Regimen
Wash 1x p/week with shampoo bar
Detangle with conditioner in the shower
Deep condition under dryer for 20-30 minutes
Set in braids or twists for the week. Wear twist out /braid out end of week
Sometimes, remoisturise and re-braid/re-twist mid-week

What I've learned/changed this year
-Less use of my tangle teezer. This was my main tool becuase I love how easy it is to use and how smooth it leaves my hair. However, I decided to just use my fingers for the last couple of months, and I'm seeing less breakage.

-Started treating my hair like it's more fragile. I have "heavy hands" that tend to destry everything they touch lol. So I'm concentrating more on treating my hair softly

-More consistent. Since quarantine started, I have been very consistent since I am working from home

-Too much water that isn't running (aka not the shower) makes my fine strands tangle

-I don't need to add everything to my deep conditioner. I'm going back to using the product as it is

Your hair looks literally an inch longer than mine. I wonder myself, is that considered TBL? It looks TBL to me! Is classic your goal? Cause you’re almost there lol!

NaturalShe94

So it's about time for our 2nd progress update, in about 10 days. I'm intending to do a small trim. But I've been thinking about the logic of trims. I don't really have split ends. What I have are knots. If I trim just the last 1/4" or something, I'll only get a small number of knots. Most of the knots are probably 1/2"-1" above the end of the hair. So it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to trim for the purpose of cutting out knots if I cut less than the length where all the knots are. I'd trim that 1/4" and still have all the knots. Which is one of the reasons I don't do trims that short anyway.

On the other hand, if I cut 1" more often than about once every 3 months, my hair would stay about the same length, since 1" is what I've been retaining per 3 months for the last half a year or so. So I have to cut enough for it actually have an effect, but I can't cut too often or I won't see any growth. After I cut, knots will develop quickly again, so it's not even like cutting gives me more than a month of easier detangling.

I think I"m going to aim for 1/2" this trim. That will get some of the knots, certainly not all of them. I'm not even sure if it will get most of them. But maybe it will be enough to make a difference. I might go ahead and flat iron, too, since I'm off most of this week. That would mean that of the roughly 2" I've retained in the last 6 months, I can keep 1 1/2" of it.

This woman, whose hair is nothing at all like mine, was talking about how she only trims once a year. I don't know if I'd be willing to go that long, but it was interesting to hear her talk about it (around 2:00)

I follow her. Her tips seem useful but I dont think it can work for everyone. I trim once a year, but I can do that because my ends are tucked majority of the time year round & I only flat iron once a year. About 8 years ago when I use to straighten all the time & wore my hair down practically everyday I trimmed every 8-10 weeks..... Do you think there’s anything you could do different to prevent knots at your ends?

Last edited:

nyeredzi

I follow her. Her tips seem useful but I dont think it can work for everyone. I trim once a year, but I can do that because my ends are tucked majority of the time year round & I only flat iron once a year. About 8 years ago when I use to straighten all the time & wore my hair down practically everyday I trimmed every 8-10 weeks..... Do you think there’s anything you could do different to prevent knots at your ends?

If there's something I could do to prevent knots, I either don't know it or am not willing to do it. I never wear loose hair these days, I wear twists, usually in a bun, but sometimes in a ponytail. It's now to the point where I feel physically uncomfortable when I feel hair touching my skin. I use mild heat to blow dry occasionally, and I actually think this reduces the number of knots. But, actually, I just remembered, I am trying something new. I'm trying flax seed gel on the ends of my twists, followed indigenous strands' advice.

When you trim, why do you do it? What is wrong with your ends that makes you trim?

Last edited:

NaturalShe94

If there's something I could do to prevent knots, I either don't know it or am not willing to do it. I never wear loose hair these days, I wear twists, usually in a bun, but sometimes in a ponytail. It's now to the point where I feel physically uncomfortable when I feel hair touching my skin. I use mild heat to blow dry occasionally, and I actually think this reduces the number of knots. But, actually, I just remembered, I am trying something new. I'm trying flax seed gel on the ends of my twists, followed indigenous strands' advice.

When you trim, why do you do it? What is wrong with your ends that makes you trim?

Because they split and I dont want it to start looking thinned out. I also want to keep it growing together.

apple_natural

My little hair piece behind my left ear started out at 9" flat-ironed. It is 11" pulled wet now.... it may be a .5 inch longer if it was flatironed. I clipped .5 inch in April.

I have not been taking my iron supplements. I have taken 2 month of Hairfinity. For the rest of the year, I will be sure to take my iron supplements. I will finish the one bottle of Hairfinity that I have left, but I will not be replacing it. I will continue with my biotin that I've been taking all year until it finishes. I don't think that is doing anything for my hair, but it may be doing something for my skin.

NaturalShe94

My little hair piece behind my left ear started out at 9" flat-ironed. It is 11" pulled wet now.... it may be a .5 inch longer if it was flatironed. I clipped .5 inch in April.

I have not been taking my iron supplements. I have taken 2 month of Hairfinity. For the rest of the year, I will be sure to take my iron supplements. I will finish the one bottle of Hairfinity that I have left, but I will not be replacing it. I will continue with my biotin that I've been taking all year until it finishes. I don't think that is doing anything for my hair, but it may be doing something for my skin.

Are you taking a multivitamin as well? I was taking hairfinity at one point. But I switched to Nature Bounty Hair Skin & Nails and I actually notice results with a multi vs just one vitamin.

apple_natural

Are you taking a multivitamin as well? I was taking hairfinity at one point. But I switched to Nature Bounty Hair Skin & Nails and I actually notice results with a multi vs just one vitamin.

Usually! My iron is in a multi vitamin. That is the one I am going to start taking again. I'll see how it affects my hair growth the next few months