keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I have been out of the loop for a minute. I’m currently on my second install of knotless braids. My hair loves being braided like this! My hair grew well, but I do not have a good progress picture. I tried blowing my hair out to take a picture before my install, but my hair shrunk lol. I will post a length check after this install.

NaturalShe94

Maybe I would measure my hair this way if the length of the front of my hair actually met the end of the back... or at least came close. I fear that this would make me think that it is longer than it actually is. It wouldn't represent any one single strand on my head at the moment.

I feel like measuring that way isn’t accurate to true hair strand length but it gives you better progress results. Root to tip can be off slightly showing progress unless you know you’re parting the exact same part of your hair each time.

Kiaray8

Question:

Has anybody noticed a significant difference in growth when they stopped using gel? I'm on a curl cream kick right now and haven't used gel in about 2 weeks. My hair is feeling longer and healthier and I noticed that I have less tangles and knots. :shocked:

What have you been using instead to seal?

My hair is the opposite, gel works as a sealant for me. I prefer strong hold gels like xtreme wetline but I get by with soft hold gels too like as I am curling jelly or curl maker.

SmilingElephant

What have you been using instead to seal?

My hair is the opposite, gel works as a sealant for me. I prefer strong hold gels like xtreme wetline but I get by with soft hold gels too like as I am curling jelly or curl maker.

I usually always use an oil to seal in moisture. If I don't, the gel eventually dries my hair out. I haven't really used oil this week bc I've been experimenting with curl creams but I will definitely be putting it back into rotation.

apple_natural

In reference to taking synthetic vitamins, have you thought about herbal vitamins, such as Alkaline Herbs or Gherbs? I currently use Alkaline Herbs Iron supplement.

thank you for these suggestions! I'm looking into them...

ETA: i made a "henna gloss" and applied it monday. i rinsed it out the next morning i think. i decided to put on a deep conditioner sit under a dryer today. i did that for at least 30 minutes. my hair feels pretty good. i didn't get any breakage when I was rinsing out the conditioner. i put on my shea butter mix and its in 10 twist bantu knots.

Last edited:

NaturalShe94

Question:

Has anybody noticed a significant difference in growth when they stopped using gel? I'm on a curl cream kick right now and haven't used gel in about 2 weeks. My hair is feeling longer and healthier and I noticed that I have less tangles and knots. :shocked:

The tangles and knots are probably causing breakage as a result of the gel. Usually the super hold gels like Wetline does this. I use Blueberry Bliss Curl Control jelly or regular ol Ecostyler Olive Oil whenever Im wearing a wng & I wont get those tangles and knots.

snoop

I'm late with my check-in. My hair is still different lengths, but I feel like it's getting longer. Some twists were BSL and other parts were longer. At the end of the year, I'll do a loose length check.

Attachments

• LHCF_Aug2020.jpg
    LHCF_Aug2020.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 43
  • LHCF_LengthCheck_Aug2020.jpg
    LHCF_LengthCheck_Aug2020.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 44

SmilingElephant

The tangles and knots are probably causing breakage as a result of the gel. Usually the super hold gels like Wetline does this. I use Blueberry Bliss Curl Control jelly or regular ol Ecostyler Olive Oil whenever Im wearing a wng & I wont get those tangles and knots.

I think I'm allergic to Wetline. I tried to use it a few weeks ago, they have a new formula and it had my scalp BURNING itching! Which was another reason I stopped with the gels for a while. I've been using gel since I first went natural almost 10 years ago and never had that issue with my scalp. :/

I do have some Kinky Curly custard and leave in, but I'm gonna save that for a day that I really want definition and shine lol. Might be a while bc I don't go no where! :grin:

NaturalShe94

I think I'm allergic to Wetline. I tried to use it a few weeks ago, they have a new formula and it had my scalp BURNING itching! Which was another reason I stopped with the gels for a while. I've been using gel since I first went natural almost 10 years ago and never had that issue with my scalp. :/

I do have some Kinky Curly custard and leave in, but I'm gonna save that for a day that I really want definition and shine lol. Might be a while bc I don't go no where! :grin:

Another member made a post about the new Wetline in the forum. The new one has some harsh chemicals in there. Lye especially, which is used in relaxers and also causes scalp irritation. That’s not good for your hair at all. I wouldn’t recommend it for any natural.
& Girl I totally get it. I barely go anywhere either. Can’t remember when’s the last time I had to use gel because Im always in a bun lol. However, my fiance decided to treat us out today since restaurants & activities have opened back up here. Well because of your post, I decided “hmm let me do a wng with gel” I used Auntie Jackies Dont Shrink gel for the first time. It’s awesome! No crunchy feeling, no tangles & a lot less shrinkage. I just got home tonight and plaited my hair back to bonnet it and didnt go through having to split any knots. Maybe you should try!

SmilingElephant

Another member made a post about the new Wetline in the forum. The new one has some harsh chemicals in there. Lye especially, which is used in relaxers and also causes scalp irritation. That’s not good for your hair at all. I wouldn’t recommend it for any natural.
& Girl I totally get it. I barely go anywhere either. Can’t remember when’s the last time I had to use gel because Im always in a bun lol. However, my fiance decided to treat us out today since restaurants & activities have opened back up here. Well because of your post, I decided “hmm let me do a wng with gel” I used Auntie Jackies Dont Shrink gel for the first time. It’s awesome! No crunchy feeling, no tangles & a lot less shrinkage. I just got home tonight and plaited my hair back to bonnet it and didnt go through having to split any knots. Maybe you should try!

Girl I don't know why I can't find that gel!!!

Wait...maybe it's the ice curls one I'm thinking about :lachen: I think I've seen the one you're talking about. The next time I see it while hair product shopping I will buy it lol

GettingKinky

I hardly ever measure the length of my hair, but I did in May 2019 after my first curly haircut. Since then I’ve had 2 more cuts the last one in February 2020.

Well I measured my hair today and it’s the same length it was in May 2019. :mad: I didn’t think I had much cut off in Oct 2019 or Feb 2020, but I guess I did.

I need to actually measure more often so that I know what’s going on.

apple_natural

I hardly ever measure the length of my hair, but I did in May 2019 after my first curly haircut. Since then I’ve had 2 more cuts the last one in February 2020.

Well I measured my hair today and it’s the same length it was in May 2019. :mad: I didn’t think I had much cut off in Oct 2019 or Feb 2020, but I guess I did.

I need to actually measure more often so that I know what’s going on.

Same! My hair is the same length as it was in the same month of 2018. :mad:

xxx

My hair is usually a dry matted mess by the time I wash it the next week. This week is different, which is making me keep pulling at it. I can't believe it is actually still kind of soft. This is how I end up with missing patches though.

GettingKinky

Just found this old pic of a wng in 2017 and I find it amazing how much my wngs have changed since my hair grew. I have more definition and less volume now. As the hair grows the weight of it makes the wng longer.
View attachment 462105

Wow!! That is amazing. :drool: When my wash n go grows up I want it to look like yours.

How do your do your wash n go? On soaking wet hair, damp hair, stretched hair?

NaturalShe94

Wow!! That is amazing. :drool: When my wash n go grows up I want it to look like yours.

How do your do your wash n go? On soaking wet hair, damp hair, stretched hair?

:lachen:“when my wng grows up” :lachen: & I do it on damp hair. I notice more frizz when I do it on soaking wet hair. Maybe the water to product balance is off when I use soaking wet hair? Not sure, but definitely damp hair always.

apple_natural

i clipped my hair a little bit a couple of days ago. thats all the clipping I will be doing this year.

i want to put my hair away for at least a month at a time. im thinking of chunky box braids. i could put in clip ins sometimes. i have some clip in hair i think.

SmilingElephant

Just found this old pic of a wng in 2017 and I find it amazing how much my wngs have changed since my hair grew. I have more definition and less volume now. As the hair grows the weight of it makes the wng longer.
View attachment 462105
My hair is where you were in 2017. Sis please tell me your regimen or if you have it posted somewhere. Gorgeous hair and beautiful growth!

NaturalShe94

My hair is where you were in 2017. Sis please tell me your regimen or if you have it posted somewhere. Gorgeous hair and beautiful growth!

Girlllll when I first joined, you were at HL! Did you cut it? My regimen now is totally different from my regimen to get here. In 2017 I faithfully shampoo’d & deep conditioned every two weeks under my hooded dryer. The weeks in between I would just cowash. Wash days were, and still are, always Sunday. I moisturize with a leave in or moisturizer then seal with DoGro oil , plait it & put on a bonnet. The next morning, I just brush back any flyaways and roll my plait into a bun and off to work I go. I didn’t touch my hair again until wash day. I’ve been doing that for the past 4 years since I cut it to shoulder length in 2016. I came across SCURL in 2018 and started using that as my moisturizer faithfully and Dogrow was, and still is, my sealing oil. Dogro does an AWESOME job sealing in moisture even if I use it with water only. I whip it with SB in the winter. I can’t say I faithfully used SB though because I hadn’t but I definitely faithfully used my Dogro to seal on EVERY wash day for the last 4 years. There’s also some protein treatments in the journey using Aphogee 2-step. I only pull out that if I start noticing more breakage. In the last 4 years, I’ve only used it 3 times. The length of my hair is protected so much that I don’t find myself having to do much protein treating or using protein products though. Ohhh and vitamins! I’d be lying if I said I dont believe they dont make a difference, THEY DO! Im back on my Nature Bounty HSN, I was on prenatals for a while being pregnant then breastfeeding, but I totally notice a difference in hair shedding when I dont take my vitamins (& my nails break easier). My regimen is still pretty much the same except I no longer use SCURL on a regular because it doesnt have much slip & I need slip now more than ever with this booty length hair lol. It’s so quick to tangle. & I don’t deep condition much anymore. My hair holds moisture very well now compared to a year or two ago. I DC every.... 6 to 8 weeks. I cowash like every wash day now. I use shampoo once a month or unless I’ve worn a style that required using some type of heavy butter or gel. I always use a clarifying shampoo before DC now because I realize when my hair isn’t totally stripped, the DC doesn’t penetrate like it’s supposed too. & I definitely shampoo like 3 times now. I go through shampoo just as fast as conditioner now (I never thought I’d see that day come lol). & I only trim once a year, dust every now and then. Ummm, I think thats about it.... I think lol.
ETA: Oh & I use to prepoo every two weeks and do monthly hot oil treatments.

Last edited:

Lucia

Glad to see this challenge is still going strong. I see a lot of beautiful hair in here. Links to the old threads so all of you can benefit from the hair info there.

OG Grow it long

Ask a WL Lady

I cant link to the don’t cut it challenge before but maybe it’s archived. With the new boards a lot of things are lost or gone.

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

Girlllll when I first joined, you were at HL! Did you cut it? My regimen now is totally different from my regimen to get here. In 2017 I faithfully shampoo’d & deep conditioned every two weeks under my hooded dryer. The weeks in between I would just cowash. Wash days were, and still are, always Sunday. I moisturize with a leave in or moisturizer then seal with DoGro oil , plait it & put on a bonnet. The next morning, I just brush back any flyaways and roll my plait into a bun and off to work I go. I didn’t touch my hair again until wash day. I’ve been doing that for the past 4 years since I cut it to shoulder length in 2016. I came across SCURL in 2018 and started using that as my moisturizer faithfully and Dogrow was, and still is, my sealing oil. Dogro does an AWESOME job sealing in moisture even if I use it with water only. I whip it with SB in the winter. I can’t say I faithfully used SB though because I hadn’t but I definitely faithfully used my Dogro to seal on EVERY wash day for the last 4 years. There’s also some protein treatments in the journey using Aphogee 2-step. I only pull out that if I start noticing more breakage. In the last 4 years, I’ve only used it 3 times. The length of my hair is protected so much that I don’t find myself having to do much protein treating or using protein products though. Ohhh and vitamins! I’d be lying if I said I dont believe they dont make a difference, THEY DO! Im back on my Nature Bounty HSN, I was on prenatals for a while being pregnant then breastfeeding, but I totally notice a difference in hair shedding when I dont take my vitamins (& my nails break easier). My regimen is still pretty much the same except I no longer use SCURL on a regular because it doesnt have much slip & I need slip now more than ever with this booty length hair lol. It’s so quick to tangle. & I don’t deep condition much anymore. My hair holds moisture very well now compared to a year or two ago. I DC every.... 6 to 8 weeks. I cowash like every wash day now. I use shampoo once a month or unless I’ve worn a style that required using some type of heavy butter or gel. I always use a clarifying shampoo before DC now because I realize when my hair isn’t totally stripped, the DC doesn’t penetrate like it’s supposed too. & I definitely shampoo like 3 times now. I go through shampoo just as fast as conditioner now (I never thought I’d see that day come lol). & I only trim once a year, dust every now and then. Ummm, I think thats about it.... I think lol.
ETA: Oh & I use to prepoo every two weeks and do monthly hot oil treatments.

Chyyyy DevaCurl ruined my hair back in 2018 while I was finishing college. It fell out so bad I lost a lot of length and thickness, went from HL to Brastrap length within weeks of using their stuff that year! I didn't realize that's what happened until I started seeing all these other women online having the same exact issues I had!

So I've been actively back to growing my hair out since about February 2019 and I'm at Waist Length. I feel ill be HL again later in the year since my WL and HL are only 2-3 inches apart from each other on me.

We have very very similar regimens, so I'm just gonna keep doing what I've been doing and YES!!! VITAMINS ARE LIFE!!! ❤️

The only difference is that this year, I have been doing quarterly dustings to keep my ends a lot more healthy. I have not used heat on my hair in 4 years, and I haven't colored my hair since about 2010 when I started transitioning...I just stick to cowashing regularly, deep conditioning every 1-2 weeks, and use oils when I style my hair and on my scalp when I wear buns.

I'm just ready for my hair to be long and grown like yours! ❤️

NaturalShe94

Chyyyy DevaCurl ruined my hair back in 2018 while I was finishing college. It fell out so bad I lost a lot of length and thickness, went from HL to Brastrap length within weeks of using their stuff that year! I didn't realize that's what happened until I started seeing all these other women online having the same exact issues I had!

So I've been actively back to growing my hair out since about February 2019 and I'm at Waist Length. I feel ill be HL again later in the year since my WL and HL are only 2-3 inches apart from each other on me.

We have very very similar regimens, so I'm just gonna keep doing what I've been doing and YES!!! VITAMINS ARE LIFE!!! ❤

The only difference is that this year, I have been doing quarterly dustings to keep my ends a lot more healthy. I have not used heat on my hair in 4 years, and I haven't colored my hair since about 2010 when I started transitioning...I just stick to cowashing regularly, deep conditioning every 1-2 weeks, and use oils when I style my hair and on my scalp when I wear buns.

I'm just ready for my hair to be long and grown like yours! ❤

Girl you’ll be HL in no time! I have a ton of Devacurl products that I have not touched, but I bought them in 2017. Now Im so afraid to use them. If my hair start falling out I may cry. A lot of work went into getting here. Did your hair just start breaking off from using it? Or was it more like really bad shedding?

NaturalShe94

@NaturalShe94 @SmilingElephant I feel like I'm eating popcorn and enjoying life by keeping up with this conversation. It is so interesting to me. Thank you for answering that question so thoroughly NaturalShe. I was wondering what protective style you used. I remembered you posted a photo about it once though, so I didn't ask afterall.

Sure! No problem! & yeah, I’ve seen a lot of Youtubers say, “dont bun too much” for whatever reason, but I like low manipulation as much as possible. I can’t think of any other style that won’t allow me to manipulate my hair as well have my hair not touching my clothes. Low buns have been doing me well for the last 4/5 years.

nyeredzi

Some parts of my hair are so matted, at the root. I've ended up washing my hair a couple of times in twists because it's itched a lot. I've now gotten Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo and it's helped a fair bit, but sometimes it itched so bad I couldn't wait until I had time to detangle properly. Full time work and 2 young kids means I hardly have any time at all, so sometimes I have to wash when I don't have time detangle, and my hair is very prone to tangling in such situations. I did have just enough time to unravel the ends and coat in flaxseed gel and oil, which helped keep the ends from tangling. But the roots! Especially I got this itchy scalp cream that I would apply between washes, and adding moisture and goo and not detangling also increases matting. One of the 20 twists I had took me 30 minutes to get through, finger detangling and then following up with my Yellow Bird. I did 5 other twists, thank goodness none were as bad as that one. That section was especially itchy and I applied more cream there, which I'm sure increased matting. The other ones take about 10 minutes each.

I'll be doing 2 or 3 twists at a time until I'm through with the other 15. Hopefully I can get through them all by the time my head is so itchy that I feel I have to wash again. I guess that gives me another 5 days or so. :/

Last edited:

apple_natural

Sure! No problem! & yeah, I’ve seen a lot of Youtubers say, “dont bun too much” for whatever reason, but I like low manipulation as much as possible. I can’t think of any other style that won’t allow me to manipulate my hair as well have my hair not touching my clothes. Low buns have been doing me well for the last 4/5 years.

I've heard that too. I think it's just that their buns are too tight

Some parts of my hair are so matted, at the root. I've ended up washing my hair a couple of times in twists because it's itched a lot. I've now gotten Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo and it's helped a fair bit, but sometimes it itched so bad I couldn't wait until I had time to detangle properly. Full time work and 2 young kids means I hardly have any time at all, so sometimes I have to wash when I don't have time detangle, and my hair is very prone to tangling in such situations. I did have just enough time to unravel the ends and coat in flaxseed gel and oil, which helped keep the ends from tangling. But the roots! Especially I got this itchy scalp cream that I would apply between washes, and adding moisture and goo and not detangling also increases matting. One of the 20 twists I had took me 30 minutes to get through, finger detangling and then following up with my Yellow Bird. I did 5 other twists, thank goodness none were as bad as that one. That section was especially itchy and I applied more cream there, which I'm sure increased matting. The other ones take about 10 minutes each.

I'll be doing 2 or 3 twists at a time until I'm through with the other 15. Hopefully I can get through them all by the time my head is so itchy that I feel I have to wash again. I guess that gives me another 5 days or so. :/

I use apple cider vinegar mixed with either aloe vera juice or water on my scalp when it itches. If it's really bad, the itching will be gone by the time it dries from that. Nothing else solves my itchy scalp

××

I put in my jumbo box braids. I have 15. We shall see how it goes. I hope to keep them in until October before rebraiding.

Last edited:

nyeredzi

I've heard that too. I think it's just that their buns are too tight

I use apple cider vinegar mixed with either aloe vera juice or water on my scalp when it itches. If it's really bad, the itching will be gone by the time it dries from that. Nothing else solves my itchy scalp

××

I put in my jumbo box braids. I have 15. We shall see how it goes. I hope to keep them in until October before rebranding.
It's interesting the different things that work for people. None of the homeopathic things work for me. I have tried acv, and also fenugreek which has its big fans, also tea tree oil, but those didn't really help. I'd forgotten about, but think I'll be going back to, Nizoral. I found a half bottle in my stash. It worked so well before, that I forgot about it once my problem was solved and stopped using it. But I really need to keep in mind to, even after the issue seems solved, use it periodically to keep it under control.