• BSL

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • MBL

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • WL+

Votes: 25 31.3%

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
January 16th, 2022 starting Length
In the crown area (back top bantu knot length): 26.0 inches
In the back nape area (back bottom bantu knot length): 22 inches
In the front hairline area (front top bantu knot length): 24 inches
In the front side area (front bottom bantu knot length): 23 inches

December 29th, 2022 ending Length
Lost 2 inches in crown - from 26 inches to 24 inches
Nape stayed at 22 inches

I'm currently in a grow and break cycle at tailbone length. This is not unusual for me. My hair changes it needs at different lengths. I have to figure out what it needs at this length. I've not been able to get passed 26 inches. It breaks at 26 inches.

After I saw the breakage, I went back into the baggie w/Vaseline for the first time in about 5 years in October 2022. I'd been wearing my braids. The braids and Shea butter got me to back to tailbone after I over trimmed it back to bra-strap in 2012 and I consider the braids and Shea a great success!

I am going back to the baggie and Vaseline, retaining my use of Shea butter of course, to see if I can get passed this break point at tail bone length.
I will do my baggie and look and see where I am at in August 2023.

Comparison Photos of the nape area only:

December 5th, 2021 Starting Photo ___________________ November 27th, 2022 Ending Photo
1672294468922.pngHair Dry Oil with Flax Gel Nov 27th 2022 A.jpeg

Last edited:

snoop

I don't have a year end photo to show any progress or lack thereof. I don't use heat, so I can't gauge my length properly. Some days my coils are easy to stretch and other days they're super tight. I don't think that I have gained length in terms of hitting a new milestone. I do feel like overall my hair is gaining volume which would mean that my shorter lengths are starting to retain. For that, I say that this year has been a win!

Chicoro

I don't have a year end photo to show any progress or lack thereof. I don't use heat, so I can't gauge my length properly. Some days my coils are easy to stretch and other days they're super tight. I don't think that I have gained length in terms of hitting a new milestone. I do feel like overall my hair is gaining volume which would mean that my shorter lengths are starting to retain. For that, I say that this year has been a win!
Congratulations to you on your success!

DVAntDany

You've retained about six (6) inches of length. That is some amazing progress! Congratulations on your success! Could you share or point me to your hair care regimen, please? I see that you did flat ironed hair to wash and go's . But I didn't see your products. Your length retention is phenomenal.
@Chicoro Thanks. I'm blaming you for unleashing the verbiage monster. I wouldn’t really say I did much to preserve my length at the end of the day. My usual regimen consisted of shampoo, condition, style and then sit under a hooded dryer.

One thing I do that might be a little different is that I double detangle. I section my hair in 4 and sometimes up to 8 sections while in the shower with conditioner in my head. I then detangle each section with a Wet Brush for thick hair. I go back over each detangled section with a Felicia Leatherwood brush before moving to the next. Sometimes I twist up those detangled sections, but most time I just leave my hair hanging.

The Felicia Leatherwood brush can really snap my hair off if I'm not gentle enough or take smaller sections. I kept getting cramps in my hand trying to gingerly yet effectively use it. So now I'm basically using the Felicia Leatherwood brush to crosscheck my detangling. If it can not glide through my hair, then my hair is not properly detangled enough. I recently switched to the Wet Brush paddle detangler. I say the bristle flexibility is between the original Wet Brush and the one for thick hair. The bristles are ever so slightly longer to penetrate my hair better but more gentle than the one for thick hair.

For most of the year, I did the regimen and used the products suggested by BGC to achieve wash and goes. This routine gave consistent results that could last a week and beyond. However, my hair stayed flat, took forever to dry and was super heavy. These products rinsed out easily. My only problem (which has been my prob from the beginning) is that UFD Curly Magic does not glide through my naked hair easily. So I have to take my time when applying it to my hair in BGC fashion. The toppers help me to rake it through my hair. UFD Curly Magic glides effortlessly over other products though. This routine calls for using a buff every night to preserve curls.

BGC Products
Shampoo:
-Kinky Curly Come Clean (clarifier)
-Malibu Undo Goo (clarifier)
-AG Balance (all purpose)
-Innersense Hydrating Hair Bath (moisturizing)

Conditioner:
-AG Boost

Hydrating Base Gel:
-Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic

Tertiary Gel for Frizz:
-Innersense I Create Hold

Topper Gel:
-Trepadora Papaya Slip
-Trepadora Bamboo Ginseng

When I veered from using BGC suggested products, I had to change up how I shampooed. Typically with a BGC regimen, I could use a moisturizing shampoo if I washed my hair multiple times per week. When I switched to other products, I had to use an all purpose for frequent shampooing. At the end of the day, I realized my scalp needs something more cleansing than a moisturizing shampoo. It "might" be better for my hair, but my scalp needs something stronger.

I find that polyquat dominant products leave a buildup that tangles in my hair after 1 or 2 uses. Some of those products are just hard to run through my hair in general. These products also don't have great hold and usually give me 2 to 4 days worth of a style. The pay off is that my hair dries significantly quicker, gives me better volume and feels lighter. So I had to use all purpose and clarifying shampoos more frequently even though I washed my hair more often than on the BGC regimen.

While I'm still on the subject of shampoo, its important for me to note that I should do it on a frequent basis for my scalp health. I've been pushing 7 to 10 days lately and that is actually too long. I've been on spironolactone consistently for several months now. It has greatly reduced the oiliness in my skin, but I shouldn't go longer than 5 days. By day 5, I can smell my scalp when I shake my hair and can feel oil on it. It is much better than it use to be. Instead of 3 days before my scalp looks like it's coated in solidified lard or ghee, it now takes 7 days. I also start getting dandruff by day 7 now.

I pull it into a puff when I don't have time or don't feel like washing my hair, but looks wonky hanging down. I use hair ties meant for thick and curly hair. They have a lot of give yet can contract around the puff nicely. FYI, a BGC wng does not make a pretty puff. My hair would be too stiff and the curls to flat. Any wash and go using Curls gels, KKKT+KKCC, The Doux Big Poppa and Mielle Honey and Pomegranate Coil Custard will transition into pretty puffs.

When not using gels, I used mousses and creams. There are several that I liked using as one and dones. I wish I spent more time finding great combos because mousse and creams/lotion can give chef kiss results. My favorite mousses were Miche Set and the one by Pattern Beauty. My favorite styling lotions were Mielle Rosemary Mint Daily Styling Cream and Miss Jessie's Feather Soft Curls.

For straightening, I used my Dyson with the comb attachment. It gets too hot for me and doesn't straighten my ends well enough. I used the Mizani Press Agent Line, The Design Essentials Agave Line, Olaplex Line and The Fine Haired Suggestions from the Blowout Professor. For my hair, I preferred using Olaplex and the Design Essential Line to straighten my hair. The products are heavy, but combat my frizz. I do want to mention that I asked Chris what would he suggest for my hair type. He said that fine coiled hair can be tricky. He suggested I use shampoo and conditioner for fine hair but a more heavy blowout cream like Olaplex 6 for the frizz. If I tried to get a week or more out of straight hair, I'd take head to his fine hair suggestion.

Next year I'm going back to my old favorite brushes (The Monroe Latina Envy, Marilyn Flatter Me Too and Denman D5 ) that are very hard to find these days. I miss blowdrying my hair and it be a wearable style. I also want to be more flexible with my hair styling. The longest my hair has ever been was by me straightening my hair every 5 days to once a week.

The biggest thing I noticed to prevent single strand knots was to not let my ends get undefined and frizzy before I washed again. Putting my hair in a puff and wearing a buff at night helped mitigate knots when I wasn't able to wash my hair but needed to. The same could said to prevent tangling at the roots.

I also should have kept a deep conditioner on a regular rotation instead of as needed. I started getting stretchy ends and noticed a little breakage in the past few months. Olaplex #3 fixed that right up. It could have been prevented if I used those type of products more regularly.

Overall, I shampooed, conditioned, detangled, styled and sat under a dryer. I used products with varying amounts of hold and washed when the hold and my scalp expired. I did the occasional treatment. I slept with a buff or on a satin pillow case nightly. I only trimmed twice this year. That was my simple routine.

ckisland

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed:
Natural
Current Length:
about APL
Goal Length:
MBL
Plan to reach goal length:
Keep doing what I've been doing :yep: -> Wearing wash n'gos to my goal length
Regimen:
Shampoo once a week
DC once a week
Cowash once a week
Protective Styles:
Buns
2 flattwitst braids
Staple Products:
Miss Jessie's Harm Me Knot
Miss Jessie's Want No Suds
Miss Jessie's Leave-in Condish
Miss Jessie's Honey Curls
Miss Jessie's Coily Custard
TGIN Miracle Repairx Deep Hydrating Hair Mask
Obia Naturals Babassu Deep Conditioner
Starting Pic: REQUIRED
ETA: Excuse my crazy looking ends. My hair was reverting as I was flatironing the rest of my head :drunk: . I also trimmed about an inch off all over.
View attachment 478115View attachment 478117View attachment 478119
Here's my end of the year update! The green shirt is from Dec of last year. The white shirt is from today. My hair grew back the 2in I trimmed in September!!
ETA: I can't wait for next year! WL I'm coming for you!!

20221229_185226.jpg20221229_185224.jpg flatironback010122.jpg

Last edited:

HealthyHair2020

I haven't really been tracking my hair these past few months but based on how much I cut off I would say my length hasn't really changed. Based on this picture from November, I would say it might have evened out a bit especially at the front.

My focuses for the new year is to just treat my problem spots which are my nape and my edges. They are growing back and getting stronger, I just need to doctor them more. I also need to doctor my ends a looooot more aka putting on oil/cream every other day.

I think as I continue to work out regularly, I will have to go back to having wash day every 2 weeks. It turned to every 3 weeks these last few months on accident. It will definitely be better for my hair because my moisture levels have definitely decreased.

When I blowdry my hair in January, I will fully plan out what I plan to do for the next 3-6 months and assess what worked and what didn't.

Attachments

• 20221117_114114.jpg
    20221117_114114.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 32

Chicoro

Here's my end of the year update! The green shirt is from Dec of last year. The white shirt is from today. My hair grew back the 2in I trimmed in September!!
ETA: I can't wait for next year! WL I'm coming for you!!

View attachment 485463View attachment 485465 View attachment 485469
Thank you for updating the pictures and clarifying the information. Since I have clear facts, now I can talk about you.

Ahmm, in last year's picture, the starting hair was cut up to the middle of your arm pit. In this year's photo, in the white, your hair has completely grown passed your entire armpit.

So, unless you are bending your head backwards with your nose facing skyward (which I don't believe that you are doing), that my friend is just not no two (2) inches of growth.

That growth you got is a minimum of four (4) inches. If I look at the longest part in the middle at the nape, I would say six (inches).

Ya'll need to stop playing and downplaying this incredible hair growth and retention you are experiencing.

Walk on down to the winner's circle with your bad self! Congratulations!

ckisland

Thank you for updating the pictures and clarifying the information. Since I have clear facts, now I can talk about you.

Ahmm, in last year's picture, the starting hair was cut up to the middle of your arm pit. In this year's photo, in the white, your hair has completely grown passed your entire armpit.

So, unless you are bending your head backwards with your nose facing skyward (which I don't believe that you are doing), that my friend is just not no two (2) inches of growth.

That growth you got is a minimum of four (4) inches. If I look at the longest part in the middle at the nape, I would say six (inches).

Ya'll need to stop playing and downplaying this incredible hair growth and retention you are experiencing.

Walk on down to the winner's circle with your bad self! Congratulations!

You have me dying!!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:Thank you @Chicoro :blush:

Mapleoats

Sigh, unfortunately I did not meet my hair goals this year. Ill post a pic but everything looks exactly the same as my last pic and I am honestly disappointed. I didn't gain any length this year. Well, that's not entirely true, it seems my layers have naturally grown out and the front and sides of my hair are now as long as the back of my hair. But no otherwise changes in length.

I think there are a myriad of reasons for this and I'm trying to reflect and sum it up in this post.

Firstly, all hair things aside 2022 was not a very good year for me and I think it played out in my hair as well. Life is what it is and so my hair necessarily took a back burner while I tried to sort out the other more pressing areas of my life. I feel like the dust has just finally settled on those things, and im looking forward to a less chaotic year ahead.

Secondly, I think the hair routine i created for myself that worked in 2020 and 2021 worked because of covid, and it was just not realistic or sustainable in the post covid world of going out, busier schedules and more pressure to look "done up". Finding a sustainable routine that works for my life now is a top priority for 2023.

Lastly, the more finer details of my hair care routine were not practiced this year. I trimmed maybe once this year? I was not washing and therefore deep conditioning and moisturizing my hair on a weekly basis, wearing my hair out and not protecting my ends enough. My scalp care was not good.

I'll end on a positive note. Given all of the above I should consider myself lucky that I didn't lose any length or experience any thinning. If anything my hair looks a bit fuller now since my layers are grown out. Also, I finally found a shampoo that's good for my scalp and relieves the flakiness. More importantly I learned what the bare minimum I can do for my hair not to completely break off is lol.

here is the pic as promised. Left is december 2021 right is december 2022. I did not press my hair for the end of this year and frankly I don't plan too... though I might still change my mind lol.

I still need to formalize my goals for next year but I'll do that in a separate post.

Attachments

• 68F40667-A42D-40AC-BEBA-B09F40F8A592.jpeg
    68F40667-A42D-40AC-BEBA-B09F40F8A592.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Chicoro

Sigh, unfortunately I did not meet my hair goals this year. Ill post a pic but everything looks exactly the same as my last pic and I am honestly disappointed. I didn't gain any length this year. Well, that's not entirely true, it seems my layers have naturally grown out and the front and sides of my hair are now as long as the back of my hair. But no otherwise changes in length.

I think there are a myriad of reasons for this and I'm trying to reflect and sum it up in this post.

Firstly, all hair things aside 2022 was not a very good year for me and I think it played out in my hair as well. Life is what it is and so my hair necessarily took a back burner while I tried to sort out the other more pressing areas of my life. I feel like the dust has just finally settled on those things, and im looking forward to a less chaotic year ahead.

Secondly, I think the hair routine i created for myself that worked in 2020 and 2021 worked because of covid, and it was just not realistic or sustainable in the post covid world of going out, busier schedules and more pressure to look "done up". Finding a sustainable routine that works for my life now is a top priority for 2023.

Lastly, the more finer details of my hair care routine were not practiced this year. I trimmed maybe once this year? I was not washing and therefore deep conditioning and moisturizing my hair on a weekly basis, wearing my hair out and not protecting my ends enough. My scalp care was not good.

I'll end on a positive note. Given all of the above I should consider myself lucky that I didn't lose any length or experience any thinning. If anything my hair looks a bit fuller now since my layers are grown out. Also, I finally found a shampoo that's good for my scalp and relieves the flakiness. More importantly I learned what the bare minimum I can do for my hair not to completely break off is lol.

here is the pic as promised. Left is december 2021 right is december 2022. I did not press my hair for the end of this year and frankly I don't plan too... though I might still change my mind lol.

I still need to formalize my goals for next year but I'll do that in a separate post.
Fabulous summary and analysis. Hair is full, thick and luscious!

Mapleoats

Well, I was WL+, but I cut my hair a couple of weeks ago. I was tired of the layers and neede a cut anyway. So I just divided my twists in half, left side and right side, pulled them down over my chest, and cut a little bit above armpit length. The cut took less than 1 minute. Needless to say, it was not even :drunk: I intended to straighten and trim at some point to try to get it more even, but haven’t yet. It’s too short now to wear as my favorite type of bun, but still long enough to twist and clip up with a Ficcare
Can you share pictures of how you twist and clip your hair :)

Miadoll

So I lost my password and couldn't get into my account forever, but here is my 2022 update! I made it to APL in the back and I'm about an inch away from FULL APL in the front. I'm proud of how much length I was able to retain.

Next year's goal will be about nipple length in the front and end of my bra strap in the back.

Grr my photos of the back are not uploading, will try again later.

Attachments

• Front Length.jpg
    Front Length.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

snoop

So I lost my password and couldn't get into my account forever, but here is my 2022 update! I made it to APL in the back and I'm about an inch away from FULL APL in the front. I'm proud of how much length I was able to retain.

Next year's goal will be about nipple length in the front and end of my bra strap in the back.

Grr my photos of the back are not uploading, will try again later.

You should head over to the 2023 challenge

Miadoll

I’d like to join if it’s not too late!

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Natural, soon to be relaxed!

Current Length: shoulder length in the front between shoulder length and apl in the back ( growing out a curly cut grrr)

Goal Length: full APL

Plan to reach goal length: I used to be bsl then once I got there I neglected my hair for years and gradually had to cut it to the length it is now. In September I decided to go back to what works: weekly deep conditioning, trims every 12 weeks, keeping on top of protein, moisturizing and sealing and henna every 4-6 weeks, I’ll be sticking with this plan.

Current Regimen: wash every Sunday & deep condition under the hooded dryer, alternating between moisture and moisture/protein balance dc’s. Apogee two step every 6 weeks, to style either blowdry straight or flexi rod set

Relaxed Regimen: same as above minus the direct heat to style instead air dry or some other low manipulation style under the hooded dryer. Plus one hot oil and cowash mid week.

Protective Style schedule:

Jan- Feb- protective style for 6 weeks, likely knotless box braids. low manipulation for the other 2 weeks

March-June low manipulation styles: roller sets, air drying etc

July- August protective style: braids/twists for 6 weeks, low manipulation the other 2

September-- December, low manipulation styles

Products currently using, I rotate pending hair needs:

SHAMPOOS:
Clarifying shampoo- ORS Creamy aloe

Moisturizing shampoo- Keracare moisturizing detangling shampoo

protein shampoo: As I Am Strengthening Long and Luxe Shampoo

DEEP CONDITIONERS:
Joico treatment balm ( moisture/protein balance)

Shea Moisture Manuka Honey( Moisture)

TGIN miracle Honey ( Moisture)

LEAVE INS

Knot Today ( Moisture- GOAT )

TGIN Miracle Repair( protein - unsure thus far if I like it)

CONDITIONERS

Keracare humecto ( moisture, also used as a dc)

Hello hydration herbal essence ( moisture/ cowash)

ORS replenishing conditioner( moisture/ protein balance also used as a DC)

Apogee double moisture ( moisture)

OILS
Avocado( hot oil treatment - may try as a sealant)

Coconut ( hot oil treatment)

Alma (hot oil treatment)

Olive oil (hot oil treatment)

JBCO( scalp)

MOISTURIZERS
S curl ( moisture)

As I Am So Much Moisture ( moisture)

Hawaiian silky 14 n 1 ( moisture/ protein)

SEALANTS
Blue Magic ( winter)

Melanin haircare oil blend ( GOAT)

TREATMENTS
Apogee two step- strong protien

Henna- strength and color

Olaplex entire line- bond rebuilder

PROPOSED RELAXER SCHEDULE - about 4 x a year or every 10-12 weeks

You should head over to the 2023 challenge
Just did! Joined!