Votes: 11 22.9%
  • MBL

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • WL+

Votes: 17 35.4%

• Total voters

snoop

Let's grow and retain all 2023!

This challenge is all about growing and retaining long healthy hair this year! Whatever your length/health goals are, this challenge is for you! Let’s hold each other accountable and share our knowledge as we breakthrough length and retention milestones this year. Through out the year I will be posting discussion questions, videos, tips, ideas etc to help keep this thread active and informational, and I encourage you all to do the same. Challenge open to anyone!

Give me the DETAILS:
Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed:
Current Length:
Goal Length:
Plan to reach goal length:
Regimen:
Protective Styles:
Staple Products:
Starting Pic: REQUIRED

Check ins every 3 months

• 1st check in: April 1st
  • 2nd check in: July 1st
  • 3rd check in: October 1st
  • Final pic: December 31st

I want to keep this challenge fun, interesting and inspiring to one another so pics are required on or around check in dates! I love looking at pics as much as I love posting them.

Tips:

• Moisturize and seal.
  • Trim only when absolutely necessary (ex. frayed; thinning ends, stagnant hair length, excessive shedding).
  • Protective styles (styles with ends tucked) help retain length.
  • Deep conditioning is your hairs bestfriend.
  • Heat without heat protectant is a no-no.
  • Length retention is more important than growth.
  • Tight ponytails and buns cause tension on hair strands resulting breakage.
  • Detangle gently. If you're making a face while detangling then you're handling your strands too rough.
  • If it doesn't have SLIP, throw it away.
  • Stay hydrated and take your vitamins!!
  • Treat your hair with love and care; it will AMAZE you.

Happy Growing and Retaining in 2023!

ckisland

Thanks for starting this thread @snoop :happydance:

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Natural
Current Length: grazing BSL
Goal Length: WL
Plan to reach goal length: I'm planning to wash n'go my way to WL
Regimen:
Shampoo 1x a week
Cowash up to 1x a week
DC 1x a week
Style in a wash n'go
Protective Styles: clip my ends up
Staple Products:
Cleansers: Harm Me Knot, Lady's First, Don't Want No Suds, EBW Lavender and Aloe Cowash
Conditioners: Super Sonic, Soften Me Up
DC: TGIN Miracle Repairx Deep Hydrating Hair Mask, EBW Lavender and Aloe Anti-Breakage DC
Leave-ins: Leave-in Condish, Lavender Aloe Leave-in Conditioner
Stylers: Coily Custard, Big Poppa, Lavender Aloe Smoothing Gel, Honey Curls, Bee Girl Custard
Starting Pic:

20221229_185157.jpg20221229_185226.jpg

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
We need to get @ckisland a ruler because she be up in here growing 5+ inches of hair and claiming it’s 2 inches. If you don’t want that length retention, pass it over here!

Oh, and you are only 4 inches from waist length. I believe you can definitely hit that goal by year end. You grew at least 5 inches in 2022. You only need 4 to hit your waist. That is so exciting!

Chicoro

My hair is natural.

Current Length:
The longest length at the nape is 22 inches.
The longest overall is in crown and is 24.5 inches.

Goal Length:
I want 30 inches of hair. I would need to retain over
5.5 inches to get there, in the crown area.

I had to stop using shampoo. So, I am
trying clay washes right now.

Regimen:
  1. Prepoo dirty, dry hair with oil and remove sheds and detangle.
  2. Cleanse hair and scalp with aloe vera/glycein and Essential Oils
  3. Cleanse hair with French clay, goat milk, honey and activated charcoal
  4. Condition hair with inexpensive conditioner.
  5. Leave in Scurl, Shea butter and Vaseline.
  6. Aphogee 2 Step Every 6 to 8 Weeks
Protective Styles:
Hair in five (5) braids but pulled back into one (1) bun.
Baggie method. Braid hair, slather in Vaseline, roll up ends, wear in plastic baggie until next wash day.

Staple Products:
  • Oil
  • Clay
  • Shea butter
  • Vaseline
  • Cheap conditioner
  • Scurl
  • Spray bottle concoction

Starting Pic: REQUIRED : See below!

Check ins every 3 months: OK

• 1st check in: April 1st
  • 2nd check in: July 1st
  • 3rd check in: October 1st
  • Final pic: December 31st

This is the left side, back bottom nape: 22 Inches to Start.

The left side, crown area is: 24.5 inches.

I have never grown this longer than 23 inches.
I have never grown my har longer than 26.5 scraggly inches.
Let's see what 2023 brings.
Hair Dry Oil with Flax Gel Nov 27th 2022 A.jpeg

Last edited:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Natural

Current Length:
APL

Goal Length:
BSL :gorgeous:

Long-term protective styles and keeping my hair up in a bun.

Regimen:
I am making some changes to my regimen since I started working out.

Protective Styles:
Twists or braids on my own hair.

Staple Products:
I like the Mielle Pomegranate & Honey line.

Attachments

• 12-19-2022_1.jpg
    12-19-2022_1.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 42

Chicoro

I really love your posts!! You don't have to leave me alone if you don't want to :laugh:

I just saw the rest of you post! I'm so close to WL!! It will finally be mine this year! Claiming it :boxing:
Girl, ain't nobody going to leave you alone. You are on my radar, now. I may be old, but I bug folks like kids do. You know how they tap on you until you give them your attention? And you know how they ask 'why' after every answer you give Well, that's me.

Fashionista922

Back at it! 4b/4c High Porosity Relaxed hair
I'm in!! I need all of the challenges I can get since I'm confident I'll be surpassing BSL around summertime. I feel like WL is a bit too ambitious, so if everything goes according to plan I believe MBL is achievable.

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Self relaxed
Current Length: A few inches past APL
Goal Length: MBL
Plan to reach goal length: Keeping it simple and listening to my hair. Doing what works for me, avoiding the latest trendy products/bandwagoning. Limiting heat usage.
Regimen: Washing my hair every 2 weeks + deep conditioning. Blowout on low heat. Bun daily. Use a flatiron only a few times a year. Mosturize and seal regularly. Check for dryness every morning and night.
Protective Styles: loose buns, updo with a clip, headbands to avoid brushing my edges.
Staple Products: Motions neutralizing shampoo, infusium shampoo and leave-in, aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, mixed chicks deep conditioner, Argan oil treatment serum, jojoba oil.

Starting pic:
Screenshot_20230107-055502.png

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Give me the DETAILS:
Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: natural
Current Length: apl
Goal Length: mbl or 12 inch ponytail
Plan to reach goal length: semi annual trims, Hairfinity vitamins, aloe deep treatments, low manipulation and patience.
Regimen: I’m a straight hair natural. I visit the salon as needed for a shampoo, dc and blow dry.
Protective Styles: buns
Staple Products: Hairfinity leave in, an oil blend I created with castor, coconut and olive.
969A92C2-183B-42DC-B17A-AAC1AAF3D16B.jpeg

I just want a foot long pony and smooth ends.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Transitioning
Current Length: APL
Goal Length: WL
Plan to reach goal length: Buns with ponytails attached. Comb only once a week
Regimen:Wash and condition every week. Style in bun and moisturize and seal on a daily basis. Baggy ends at night.
Protective Styles: bun maybe
Staple Products: Redken, Mielle and Proclaim products
Starting length 2023.jpg

With my current success with bunning and greasing my ends daily I have retained 100% of my length . I plan on trimming my hair once this year once I've reached my goal length. I'm going for the gusto and retaining every. single. inch. 6 inches should put me at WL which will be the longest my hair has ever been so I really want to get there.

auntybe

Current Length: EL
Goal Length: SL
Plan to reach goal length: Deep conditioner, braids, twists and wash & gos
Regimen: Deep condition after every wash day
Protective Styles: braids and twists
Staple Products: home made oil, not your mother's Deep conditioner

ckisland

After hanging out in the Luscious Healthy Ends thread, I've decided to make some changes to how I handle my hair to see if I can get even greater length retention over the next few months.

Changes:
1. Wearing my hair off my shoulders when I'm not out and about (which is 95% of the time :laugh:)
2. Shampooing in sections
3. Detangling, gently, in smaller sections
4. More smoothing and less raking when applying stylers
5. Only straightening twice a year
6. Only trimming once a year
7. Taking MSM consistently

snoop

Current Length: Grazing WL
Goal Length: HL
Plan to reach goal length: Cleaner diet, mini two strand twists, scalp massages, super hydrated and moisturized hair, and keeping my ends tucked away.
Regimen: Weekly cleansing clay/ayurvedic hair masks, moisturize (DIY lotion), seal (tallow)
Protective Styles: Two strand twists of various sizes
Staple Products: (In regimen)
Starting Pic:

LHCF_Jan2023_1.jpg LHCF_Jan2023_2.jpg

I'll update with pull test pictures, later.

apple_natural

Hi there! Thanks for the thread!

Current Length: Jawbone (bangs) - Collarbone (front sides) - sort of around there or a bit longer in the back
Goal Length: It would be nice to get back to APL.
Plan to reach goal length: I think my issue is nutrient based. I don't do many things to my hair. I need to eat more and take vitamins consistently
Regimen: In braids: spray on scurl and oil scalp. ACV rinse scalp as necessary. Out of braids: wash/dc once a week. moisturize mid week. wear bonnet at night
Protective Styles: Braids or buns
Staple Products: TGIN or Macademia oil dc and shampoo
posted in media!

Last edited:

Togolese

Helloo there :), I'm joining the challenge @snoop , and so filled with New Year's determination and even ordered 3 large aloe vera leaves that came today. So I definitely can't make the excuse I can't get my holy grails in the stores. Why do we've got online shops?! :D

Current Length: It's natural layers, bangs, no blunt cut, but the nape is even, longest hair is cbl in the back

Goal Length: I want apl in the back and my bangs to reach my shoulders, ultimate is wl to hl.

Plan to reach goal length: Not losing motivation and fun while being consistent, courage and honesty to switch things up if it doesn’t work

Regimen:
Scalp oil massage before shampoo
Detangle before shampoo with slippery product
Clarifying 1 a month
Olaplex 1 a month
Henna every 2 months
Shampoo 1-2 a week, rotate every other week with moisturising and regular shampoos
Clay Wash 1 a week
Deep Condition with heat 2 a month, so every other week, fingers only (I mainly used rinse out conditioners in 2022 and want to compare what difference it makes)
Condition 1-2 a week, fingers only
Style in wash&gos mainly smoothing with gels
Trimming as needed, only when I see knots and splits. (My mom keeps on telling me to not cut it anymore because in Africa those with long hair don't sit in hair stylist's chairs. So I want to see what happens.)
I started taking iron, vitamin d & zink supplements against deficiency & better immune system, and msm, protein powder (collagen, elastin, hyaluronan, keratin, silicea supplements) for hair & skin

Protective Styles: My clumped and shrunken hair strands don't touch my shoulders, so I can wear it open. But if I protect, I will use head bands, hair bows, scrunchies, hair clips and claw clips, satin scarves and bonnets

Staple Products:
Scalp Oil: diy oils and butters mix with essential oils, especially rosemary
Detangler: rotate between African Pride Moisture Miracle Aloe & Coconut Water Pre-Shampoo and pure aloe vera gel
Shampoo: Rahua Classic, Innersense Hydrating Cream Bath, Olaplex No. 4c
Clay Mask: diys with acv, ayurvedic herbs, oils and hydrolysed proteins
Conditioner: Rahua Classic, Innersense Hydrating Cream Bath
Deep Conditioner: I've now ordered Flora&Curls Rose Water & Honey Molasses Moisture Mask (Never used it, so I hope it's good and brings me an extra moisture boost)
Stylers for washngos: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Ecoslay's Jelloshot, Innersense I Create Hold & Volume

Starting Pic: My hair is clumped and stretched as good as I can stretch it tonight. It might possibly be a tiny bit longer now that I see the pictures, so I'll do better pictures on wet hair when it's wash day.

Grow it long LHCF.jpg

Grow it long LHCF 2.jpg

Miadoll

I'd like to Join! My goal this year is to go to MBL in the back and BSL in the front. My hair grows slower in the front, unfortunately.

Give me the DETAILS:
Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Texlaxed
Current Length: APL
Goal Length: MBL in the back and BSL in the front
Plan to reach goal length: Relax every 12 weeks, one protective style a quarter. Trims every 12 weeks. Wash 1x a week
Regimen: Wash 1x a week, protein treatment every 8 weeks, deep condition 2-4x a month, low manipulation styles
Protective Styles: Either knotless box braids, faux locs, or versatile sew-in.
Staple Products: TGIN Honey Miracle Conditioner, Camille Rose Cocoa nibs oil, As I Am So Much Moisture, As I Am dandruff Shampoo, As I Am dandruff oil treatment, Olive Oil Aloe Shampoo, Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner, Olaplex #0, #3, #4, #5, #7, Mizani Miracle Leave in 25, JOICO moisture recovery balm

Attachments

• Front Length.jpg
    Front Length.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 39

demlew

Joining!
Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Relaxed
Current Length: SL
Goal Length: APL
Plan to reach goal length: To be more mindful: increase moisture inside and out (drinking more water, moisturizing more consistently), taking vitamins more consistently, to stop experimenting with new products, and protect the ends better. Incorporate Olaplex more often. Steam more often.
Regimen: Wash/deep condition weekly, my hair doesn't like air drying, so I will blow dry on the lowest heat/cool, henna monthly, moisturize throughout the week.
Protective Styles: Slap cap, bun with hair clip but not on the ends
Staple Products: Keracare Detangling Shampoo, Keracare Humecto, Sprouted Curlies conditioners, Olaplex, Dove Hair Therapy leave-in, Henna Sooq henna, Nupur henna
Starting Pic: REQUIRED *I'll post one after I henna and trim this week. I hennaed, but didn't trim.

Attachments

• January Me.jpg
    January Me.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

DVAntDany

Can I join and unofficially join my mom?

Give me the DETAILS:
Current Length: Between shoulder and armpit length
Challenge Goal Length: Bra strap length
Ultimate Goal Length: However long it takes for my hair to reach waist length while in its dried curly state un-stretched.
Plan to reach goal length: Do more deep conditioners and treatments. Protect my ends. Baby my hairline
Regimen:
I want to incorporate straightening my hair more often this year. I want it for both the versatility as well as being able to check my ends more regularly.
Once a month or every 2 months, I will straighten my hair. I've purchased a RevAir to be more gentle on my ends. That doesn't mean I wont ever use any of my brushes. I'm going to see if dry shampoo can help with my scalp to extend my wear to maybe up to 2 weeks. It will most likely be worn for 1 week.
The remaining 2 to 3 weeks will be wash and goes. These will be done on a 1 to 2 times weekly basis. I'll mainly be doing UFD+ICH+Trepadora Topper. I'll be throwing in the occasional Curls or Mielle wash and go. These will probably last 4 to 5 days. When it's time to bust out the mousse, I'll start doing a mousse refresh instead of washing it all over again. This way it can last longer, and I can justify using strong shampoos.
Protective Styles:
-Putting my hair up more often. My hair has snagged against trees and bushes while outside. I was attacked by wreaths on doors all during December. Now my hair is starting to graze my shoulders while wet and some parts while dry. Similar to @ckisland, I'm going to need to protect my ends when not being seen by the world.
-I also need to find something better to put my hair into besides a buff at night. I was weary of using it in the first place because I use to wear them as headbands in the past and noticed that the baby fine hairs around my hairline were wearing away. This is why I don't use hair brushes to slick my hair back or wear headbands.
I'm starting to notice it again. It's happening in the temple areas. Its a very small area on both sides. Those hairs are already shorter. One side looks like the ends are getting thinner and the other side looks like it already broke off. It could just be where I parted my hair because those hairs are short. However, I've noticed it greatly with my mom and she hasn't done anything differently but wear one. On one of my trim visits to the salon, I had a stylist talk to me about how I should be careful with wearing hats and stuff because of how fine my hair is. I might start pineappling with a scarf. I just need to find one that won’t slip off of my head.
-Start drying my hair while wearing a mini cape instead of a regular towel. My hair def touches it while drying. It messes up the shape and it’s basic terry.
Staple Products:
Straight Hair **
Curly Hair **
83EB9BF2-D66C-4285-B487-AC8FC687A1D8.jpeg

My Mom
She is transitioning with 5 to 6 inches of very curly relaxed ends.
Current Length: Barely to of bra strap
Goal Length: Full ends at bra strap length. No more relaxed ends and the length look the same if not longer by the end of the year.
Plan to reach goal length: She has finally agreed to allow me to cut her hair. We will be cutting an inch off her ends every 2 months until the relaxed ends are gone.
Regimen: She will mainly be wearing it blowdried and flat-ironed or a moussed downed ponytail. I do want her to play around with flat twists with perm rod roller on the end sets. So we will do the whole wash and style routine once every week or every 2 weeks.
Protective Styles: Not sure. She does do good in box braids. Now that I own a RevAir, I can more easily wash and dry her hair in that style.
Staple Products: Just For Me Curl Peace line and Design Essentials Agave and Lavender Collection
63988473-2538-4BFC-ADAE-304365FDB08B.jpeg

HealthyHair2020

Will be joining as I FINALLY want to get to nipple length this year.

Current Length: BRA STRAP LENGTH! Haven't checked in a hot minute so I am pretty excited about this.

Goal Length:
Nipple Length (MBL?)

- Blowdry most wash days for the first half of the year
- Be more mindful of my edges, nape, and any other areas that have too much tension
- Alternate between wash days every 2 or 3 weeks, depending on how my hair feels
- Tie hair with satin scarf and not bonnet as it helps my edges.
- Experimenting with a new vitamin and hair cream for my edges and ends for about a month (mid Jan to mid Feb).

Regimen:
Prepoo
Shampoo x2 with Clarifying and Moisturizing Shampoo
DC
Style

Protective Styles:
Twists
Buns
Braids

Staple Products: most of Adwoa Beauty products, Design Essentials Mousse and Shampoo, SheScentIt DCs

Starting Pics:
20230116_233904.jpg

Attachments

• 20230116_234143.jpg
    20230116_234143.jpg
    953.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230116_234204.jpg
    20230116_234204.jpg
    800.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

snoop

Current Length: Grazing WL
Goal Length: HL
Plan to reach goal length: Cleaner diet, mini two strand twists, scalp massages, super hydrated and moisturized hair, and keeping my ends tucked away.
Regimen: Weekly cleansing clay/ayurvedic hair masks, moisturize (DIY lotion), seal (tallow)
Protective Styles: Two strand twists of various sizes
Staple Products: (In regimen)
Starting Pic:

I'll update with pull test pictures, later.

Here are my pull pictures. You can kind of see that I'm working with varying lengths...

LHCF_January2023.png

LHCF_January2023_2.png

snoop

I started this thread then went missing...but I've got a minute to catch up...

Thanks to everyone who joined! I love seeing the photos!!! Hopefully, people will be inspired to post throughout the year, between the check points.

Girl, ain't nobody going to leave you alone. You are on my radar, now. I may be old, but I bug folks like kids do. You know how they tap on you until you give them your attention? And you know how they ask 'why' after every answer you give Well, that's me.

Miss @Chicoro you are definitely the Queen of Hard Questions, and "why" is the hardest of them all to answer. You often give me pause with the "why". Usually, I have the thoughts kind of jumbled up, but I find that when I can answer or clearly articulate the thoughts/thought process, my hair game improves soooo much! Keep asking us "why?"

View attachment 485845

With my current success with bunning and greasing my ends daily I have retained 100% of my length . I plan on trimming my hair once this year once I've reached my goal length. I'm going for the gusto and retaining every. single. inch. 6 inches should put me at WL which will be the longest my hair has ever been so I really want to get there.

I immediately thought your hair looks a lot longer than the last time that you posted a picture! Excellent and congratulations on this success. I know that it was a bit of a struggle, but you found your stride! I'm rooting for you!

Is your length between 13 and 15 inches?

I'm going to guess, "yes"? I measured with a tape measure only once ever... YEARS ago. My hair was even then. I think it fell somewhere in that range. Pulling my hair is so inconsistent. Some weeks that I wash the coils are SOOOO tight and other weeks they feel a lot looser. I get the longest stretch directly under running water, but even then I can't really tell what's happening. At some point I'll have to get it straightened and evened out.

ckisland

I'm trying a new regimen for the next month. So I'm posting some starting pics to help me record any changes.

New regimen:
Shampoo and DC every 3 weeks
Cowash and condition twice a week
Detangle with brush once a week
Wear hair clipped up the majority of the time

These pics are on wet hair.

20230119_131743.jpg20230119_131650.jpg20230119_131545.jpg