Grow It Long Challenge Keep Growing On...

trclemons

• Pre-poo'd overnight with Jakeala's Coconut Hair Milk & EVCO.
  • DC'd under heat cap for an hour with Kanechom Chocolate.
  • Shampoo'd with TJ Tea Tree Tingle, CW'd with HQ Lime, Reconstructed with K. Moore Growth & Repair, Rinsed out 80% ACV & TGIN Replenishing.
  • LCS'd with L = Coco Cream 1000 Flowers; C = Cozy Moments Banana Coconut; S = Design Essentials Mousse.

Aggie

Prepooed this morning with black cumin seed oil and aloe vera juice
Shampooed with Redken Cleansing shampoo followed with Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating shampoo
Oil rinsed with a mixture of aloe vera juice and evoo
Deep conditioned with Macadamia natural Oil Nourishing Conditioner
Redken Anti Snap Leave in
Moisturized
with CRN Aloe Whipped Butter Gel and sealed with my own mix of ceramide oil and butter combo.

Lucia

LCB
L= Aloe Vera and rose water mist- refreshed hair didn't wash
C= CRN moisture milk
B = Homemade whipped butter mix
Done!

I do this refresh regimen when I can't or don't want to do a co wash.

Last edited:

ajargon02

@ajargon02
I'm looking for your stats to add you to the list in 1 page what were youre start and end dates? Or are you just lurking :look:
Thanks.

What length are you now? Just below collar bone in front and just at the top of apl in the back.

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Natural

What's your regimen? Wash weekly dc weekly. I alternate protein and moisturizing dc on each wash.
I then put in my leave-in and seal with whipped butter.

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL? Leave my hair alone.

What's your goal month if any? Dec 2016, but I hope to make it by summer.

Update: I am not full apl, but slowly inching closer. The pic is from 5/6.

Attachments

• 20160506_165704.jpg
    20160506_165704.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30

GabbyABaby

I forgot to do my 3 month update :hammer:

December 1st touch up

March 15th touch up

I trimmed about 2 inches off before the March relaxer. Before the trim I was grazing waist length, but I'm very happy with how my ends look now. It's now a very full MBL:clap:. It looks BSL in the last pic, but it's actually past my brastrap.

3 month update - June relaxer
I got my touch up earlier this month! My ends are bumped but when I stretch my hair it hits waist length. So I guess I reached my goal? Idk I'm just not comfortable claiming it yet, so I'll wait for the next touch up to claim waist length.

Last edited:

Lucia

3 month update - June relaxer
I got my touch up earlier this month! My ends are bumped but when I stretch my hair it hits waist length. So I guess I reached my goal? Idk I'm just not comfortable claiming it yet, so I'll wait for the next touch up to claim waist length.

:flahssssss: :bouncegreen:
Congrats claim WL
Btw love your siggy :lol:

trclemons

• Prepoo'd over an hour with Avon Frizz Control & CW'd it out.
  • Rinsed out 80% SM Black African Balancing Conditioner.
  • LCOS'd with L = Cream & Coco 1000 Flowers & Ion Reparative Solutions; C = Cozy Moments Banana Coconut; O = Mielle Organics Mint Almond on scalp; S = Lustrasilk Curl Activator.

Aggie

Today I exfoliated my scalp with Nioxin Scalp Renew

Shampooed with Redken Time Rest Shampoo (this shampoo has exfoliating properties in it) I felt a really good tingle on my scalp with these first two products.

I used semi permanent color in black for gray hair for the first time. I will see how well this works.

I will be oil rinsing with a coconut oil/aloe vera juice combo.

Deep conditioning with Hea Moisture Anti Breakage Strengthening Masque followed with Kerastase Chroma Riche Masque for moisture.

Leave in - Aunt Jackie's Quench

Moisturizing with CRN Aloe Whipped Butter gel and sealing with some natural butter/oil combo.

trclemons

• Prepoo'd overnight with AVJ spritz.
  • DC'd under a heat cap for an hour with Honey's Handmade Bentonite & Sea Clay Conditioning Mask.
  • Used CC's Natural Sugar Scalp Scrub, CW'd with Honey's Handmade Pumpkin & Safflower Apple Butter, Reconstructed with K. Moore Growth & Repair, 80% R/O of ACV & SM Black Soap Balancing Conditioner
  • LCOB'd with L = Ion Reparative Solutions; C = Cozy Moments Banana Coconut; O = Embrace The Natural You Trinity Glaze on length; B = Hairitage Hydration Horsetail on scalp & Kyra's Shea Hydrate & Refresh on ends.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Ladies what are your favorite oils for summer and why?

Sweet Almond Oil and safflower oil. I actually like them all year round, but they are really light for summer and do coat my hair without being too 'oily'. Plus I liked to wear fragrance in the warmer months and these oils don't compete with my scents.

trclemons

I like the following oils during the Summer because they are light and the name brand oils smell really nice: Keravada (all), Mielle Organics Mint Almond, Avon's Moroccan/Argan, Mission Condition Glaze, Hydratherma Naturals Growth, Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Avocado & Grapeseed.

trclemons

• Pre-poo'd under the heat cap for 30 minutes with Bath & Body Works Rainkissed Leaves.
  • Added HH Pumpkin & Safflower Apple Butter and CW'd.
  • 80% R/O with SM African Black Soap.
  • LSOC with L = Ion Repair Solution; S = Curly Keeper Total Control; O = Keravada Green Tea on scalp & Embrace The Natural You Trinity Glaze on length; C = TGIN Butter Cream.

Lucia

I had some build up
Rinsed and detangled using kinky curly knot today
I shampood using chagrin valley Ayurvedic shampoo bar
Rinsed with acv diluted w water then rinsed with water.

On damp hair
LOC
Leave in: Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner
Oil/sealer: Ayurvedic oil mix
Cream: Camille Rose Naturals Moisture Milk

Going to make Ayurvedic/henna tea and add to my cowashing conditioners to make Ayurvedic/henna gloss.

Last edited:

Lucia

Been co-washing almost daily.
Bought: Not Your Mother's leave-in conditioner, Organixx Argan oil & Coconut Curl Conditioner % their Coconut Curl Cream.
My hair looks & feels different in a good way

Are you using regular conditioners or cowash conditioners?

Last edited:

trclemons

• Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ spritz & EVCO.
  • DC'd under heat cap for an hour with Blue Roze Cocoa Coffee Rhassoul Mask.
  • Shampoo'd with TJ Tea Trea, CW'd with Honey's Handmade Pumpkin & Safflower Apple Butter, Reconstructed with K. Moore Growth Repair, 80% R/O with ACV mix & SM Black Soap Balancing Conditioner.
  • LCOB'd with L = Ion Repair Solutions, C = Oyin Hair Dew, O = Embrace The Natural You Trinity Glaze, B = Hairitage Hydration Horsetail on scalp & Kyra's Shea Hydrate & Refresher on ends.
  • Will use Siamese Twists Vanilla Curly Crème to twist.

Aggie

This morning I'll be finishing up my last bit of Redken Time Reset Shampoo.

I'll be oil rinsing with a mixture of avj, evco and evoo.

Deep Conditioning with Macadamia Nourishing Moisture Masque

Used CRN Curl Maker with Wetline Xtreme gel and some oil on my bunned hair.

I have some runs to make now

Lucia

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/07/4-ways-to-manage-protein-sensitive-hair/

4 Ways to Manage Protein Sensitive Hair
30 NATURAL HAIR CARE PROTEIN TREATMENTS
by The Natural Haven – July 24, 2013

Some naturals report that using any type of protein or protein containing product can lead them to have dry, hard and brittle hair that feels like straw. Searching within science journals has not yielded an explanation for this but it is well reported so here is my theory on dealing with protein sensitive hair.

1. Know proteins in your products
Protein can appear in different forms and in order to pinpoint it as the cause of your dry hair woes, you should be able to identify if it is in your product. Here is a list:

-Hydrolysed/hydrolyzed/hydrosylates: In general you will find labels with ingredients such as hydrolyzed keratin or wheat hydrosylates or hydrolysed collagen etc. The process by which proteins are broken up into smaller pieces is known as hydrolysis. If you do not know your proteins by name e.g keratin, collagen etc, then just look out for the word hydrolysed.
-Amino acids: If you are ingredient aware, you will know that amino acids are the basic building blocks that can be strung together to make proteins. Some manufacturers use words such as silk amino acids while some may specifically name the amino acid, some common ones are glutamic acid, cysteine and arginine
-Peptides: These are small strings of 5 or so amino acids.
– Mayonnaise: It is actually the egg yolk that is used to make mayonnaise. The egg white is the part with the most protein, so mayonnaise is not a major source of protein but can have trace amounts
– Whole eggs/egg white/albumin/egg albumin, avocado, bananas, aloe vera: These are all sources of whole protein. The large whole form of protein actually does not tend to behave in the same way as hydrolysed protein, amino acids or peptides. Some people with protein sensitive hair will find all of these perfectly fine to use. It should also be noted avocado, bananas and aloe vera do contain very small amounts of protein.

2. Distinguish between an intended effect and actual sensitivity

If you use a protein treatment such as Aphogee Two Step or Komaza Protein Strengthener and you follow the instructions to allow the product to dry under a hair dryer, most hair will feel somewhat straw like immediately after rinsing. A moisturising conditioner is normally required to help hair go back to its normal feel.

For protein sensitive hair, moisturising products with even small amounts of protein cause hair to feel brittle. For example, Giovanni leave in with small amounts of wheat protein or the Herbal Essences conditioner range which by and large contain glutamic acid.

3.Be aware of products that may help hair retain protein e.g coconut oil, henna, clay or mud washes
If your hair is protein sensitive, products such as coconut oil and henna which help protect hair from loosing protein when washed may produce the same straw-like feel that a protein containing product will do. Many times, protein sensitive hair will also be sensitive to natural oils and butters as many of these are thought to be able to penetrate hair. Oils that do not penetrate hair e.g sunflower oil or mineral oil may be preferred by protein sensitive hair.

4. Be aware of protein allergies.
Some people are actually allergic to hydrolysed proteins in hair products. Applying a protein containing product can lead to an itchy skin rash (medically known as contact urticaria). If a certain product causes your scalp to itch, you should avoid using it again and try to determine which ingredient you are allergic to.

Is your hair protein sensitive? If so, how do you manage it?

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Me and my hair have been moseying along. Lots of good growth from the gummies. I don't like the new brand I'm taking but they do work.

My hair has been feeling a little dry. I think I want to switch my co wash conditioner. I plan on doing a super moisturizing DC tonight.

Aggie

I moisturized my ends with Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter gel infused with some ceramide oils. My hair is happy, happy, happy :happydance:.

Lucia

Oiled then scalp massaged w massager
DC overnight with Shea Moisture's Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque and my homemade Ayurvedic oil blend. Water washed this morning, conditioned with aphogee 2 minute reconstructor then rinsed with lukewarm to cool water I can't do that cold water stuff.
On wet wrung out hair.
leave in: kinky curly knot today
Oil: Jojoba oil
Cream: CRN moisture milk.

Last edited:

Lucia

Just went through my hair product stash and I found enough half-full bottle of oils and conditioners and stylers to keep me going for a couple months, going to use those up and put myself on a no product buying ban for a while then streamline my product stash to the necessities. Now I'm steppping up my vitamins, oiling, scalp massage, DC and cowashing.

Last edited:

trclemons

• Pre-poo'd my twists for 30 minutes under the heat cap with Neutrogena Clean Normalizing Conditioner & CW'd it out.
  • 80% R/O of SM Black Soap Balancing Conditioner.
  • LCO'd with L = Ion Repair Solutions, C = Oyin Hair Dew & O = Embrace The Natural You Trinity Glaze on length & Keravada Green Tea on scalp.

Lucia

Repost from phony phony tail thread

How to do a phony tail with Baggie?

Here's what you will need:

1 draw string phony tail straight or curly
1-2 Bobby pins
1-2 silk type covered scrunchies
Or ouch less hair bands
Plastic processing/conditioner caps
Favorite leave in, oil, or butter
Hair Mister with water or aloe vera juice or whatever you like to moisten hair.

But it's basically you slick your hair back into a pony tail moisten or dampen the length of your real hair the real ponytail, put in your leave in and sealer oils or butters, wrap it into a bun if you want or can, then wrap your plastic conditioner cap over the your real ponytail 2 times or more to fit over your bun secure it with a scrunchie or ouch less band then cover that with a draw string ponytail = phony tail.

Now I don't use the phony tail anymore. I just made a bun cover from clean black socks and cover everything with that and secure that as well with a band.

Smooth the front edges etc. You can then add a head band or pins or nothing to the front part of your hair. And your done and your hair especially your ends are moisturized and sealed in any kind of whether all day long tucked away from the elements. At night take it all down and throw on a scarf or bonnet. In the morning, repeat.

Oh check out our growitlong thread lots of info and inspiring ladies. Link in my siggy.
HHG

Last edited:

Aggie

Prepooing with Aloe Vera Juice/WGO/Biolage Conditioning Balm Combo.
Shampooing with Macadamia Natural Oil Weightless Moisture Shampoo
Deep Conditioning with Naturelle Grow Marshmallow Protein and Moisture Conditioners.
Leave in - Naturelle Grow Soft & Silky Leave-in conditioner.

Sealing with CRN Coconut Water Style Setter/Hemp Oil Combo (I whipped these two together and added some glycerin and it is perfect for my hair now). Before, it was just too thick. The Style Setter is probably not going on my repurchase list because it didn't wow me, well not yet anyway.