Grow It Long Challenge Keep Growing On...

Lucia

I've been wanting to try that Ouidad your review has given me the push I need! Sounds like your hair had a fantastic spa day.
Be ready to spend some $$ most of they're products are really good so it's worth it.

Last edited:

Dee Raven

Sounds like you're making good progress.
How's the curl enhancing smoothie ? Is it mousturizing, curl clumper?

It feels moisturizing and the clump is noticeably better for me than the Paul Mitchel The Detangler, that was my former love. And as I mentioned the gel dried soft using the curl enhancing smoothie.

I did have a learning curve with the CES though, I threw the my first purchase away a few years ago because it felt greasy. On a lot of Youtube videos, girls would shellack it on, but when I tried it, it was greasy. Now I apply just a little to each section and rub it in until I can feel that the hair is coated.

Lucia

"So you can smooth down the edges you do have left, and grow back your non existent edges" Not funny but funny :look:

Last edited:

Lucia

It feels moisturizing and the clump is noticeably better for me than the Paul Mitchel The Detangler, that was my former love. And as I mentioned the gel dried soft using the curl enhancing smoothie.

I did have a learning curve with the CES though, I threw the my first purchase away a few years ago because it felt greasy. On a lot of Youtube videos, girls would shellack it on, but when I tried it, it was greasy. Now I apply just a little to each section and rub it in until I can feel that the hair is coated.

Thank so I may have to revisit it.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
That huge jar of eco styler gel Jeweliana has in the video posted right above! :eek:
That was so cute and easy. I like that braided pony tail as a great protective style. In addition, it will help you get the "feeling" of what it is like to have that length of hair, into your mind. If you can see yourself and actually feel yourself with that length of hair, I think it helps you in selecting and doing the right things to get your own hair longer. Loved.THAT.Video! Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

Leo24Rule

For about a month I've been co-washing daily with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner. I pour in a little castor oil & shake. Since day 1 til now I notice less strands in the shower; like 15 or less. And when styling I notice about the same 15 or less strands. My hair appears a tad thicker also

Lucia

That huge jar of eco styler gel Jeweliana has in the video posted right above! :eek:
That was so cute and easy. I like that braided pony tail as a great protective style. In addition, it will help you get the "feeling" of what it is like to have that length of hair, into your mind. If you can see yourself and actually feel yourself with that length of hair, I think it helps you in selecting and doing the right things to get your own hair longer. Loved.THAT.Video! Thanks for posting!

:) That huge bucket of eco styler.
Yes, great idea. It's a good hair growing hack if you do it right and don't damage or neglect your real hair underneath.
When I used to do weave installs, the length of my weave/wig was around waist length soon after I actually got to that length with my real hair, coincidence? I'm Going to try and do Jewlianas style and see if that works.

Last edited:

Lucia

@Lucia can u please post your henna regimen? And what other ayurvedic powders do u use?

I don't have a set schedule for henna just when I need it which is around every 2-3 months or so. It helps keep my hair strong and I have less breakage shedding, splits SSKs when I do regular henna and Ayurvedic treatments. With Ayurveda you have to know which powders do what and is that what you need. Its imoirtant to keep the proper balance of strength and moisture when using Ayurvedic powders. It's like protein moisture balance

Henna: 2 Lemons squeezed strained
Hot water or Rooibois tea I use the tea water to make the henna.
Body art quality henna of your choice. I get mine from mehandi.com no metallics so you can use conventional hair color over it but I would deep condition a lot.
Mix into a thick paste, get the lumps out
Let it sit in covered bowel overnight.
Use from roots to ends add extra henna on ends
Cover with plastic cap
Sit under heat cap for 1 hour or leave it in your hair for 2-3 hours no heat.
Rinse well
Deep moisturizing conditioner under heat cap or steamer for 30m
Leave in products and Style

For my pre-poos I do 2 different methods paste or tea.
The straight paste instructions are in the box. Just boil water mix into a thick paste, let cool then coat scalp massage, then coat hair then let sit on hair for 15m then rinse out, condition.

Tea: I just boil water mix the powders until smooth, let cool then strain, pour over hair rub into scalp squeeze excess wait 5 minutes then rinse out. Then condition or deep condition.

Notice I always condition or DC after these Ayurvedic treatments unless I'm using Ayurvedic oils because I basically use straight henna. I don't add yogurt or do a lot of stuff some other people do because I don't need it, it's just extra work and doesn't give my hair the full potency of the herbs which is what I want. For teas or pastes I also never mix more than 3 different Ayurvedic powders in 1 mixture, cause that could actually harm your hair (overload) or cancel out the effects you want. Now if you need the extras in your Ayurvedic mixes so your hair doesn't dry out please do what works for you.
I also use Curlyproverbs version of using henna or Ayurvedic teas in spray bottle as a strengthening spray. See her video on YT on proper way to use this spray tea.

My Fav Ayurveda Powders (on rotation)
Henna
Cassia
Brhami
Bringaraj
Amla
Shikaikai
Fenugreek
Wow! That was long :look:

Last edited:

Leo24Rule

Thank you @Lucia I really appreciate you sharing your ayurvedic regimen & knowledge.

In my ayurvedic stash I have:
*Cassia
*Shikaikai
*Amla
*Bhrami
*Bringaraj
*Tulsi

I'm gonna purchase more & henna for the first time.
Maybe today I'll mix amla, bhrami, & bringaraj together as a gloss.

Do you use ayurvedic products/mixes daily?

Leo24Rule

For those who have curly hair, do you believe in really purchasing curly hair styling products? If so what do you recommend for LOC?
I prefer natural/organic products. Thank you.

Also, what are your favorite deep conditioners?
@Lucia would a natural deep conditioner be fenugreek, Irish moss, & marshmallow root mixed together?

Before I kinda stopped purchasing deep conditioner & only used coconut oil & Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner. But I haven't done so in a while

Lucia

Thank you @Lucia I really appreciate you sharing your ayurvedic regimen & knowledge.

In my ayurvedic stash I have:
*Cassia
*Shikaikai
*Amla
*Bhrami
*Bringaraj
*Tulsi

I'm gonna purchase more & henna for the first time.
Maybe today I'll mix amla, bhrami, & bringaraj together as a gloss.

Do you use ayurvedic products/mixes daily?

I use Ayurvedic oil every other day at least. The teas 2-3 times a week, henna/cassia 2-3 months.

Lucia

For those who have curly hair, do you believe in really purchasing curly hair styling products? If so what do you recommend for LOC?
I prefer natural/organic products. Thank you.

Also, what are your favorite deep conditioners?
@Lucia would a natural deep conditioner be fenugreek, Irish moss, & marshmallow root mixed together?

Before I kinda stopped purchasing deep conditioner & only used coconut oil & Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner. But I haven't done so in a while

Marshmallow root and Irish moss pretty much are supposed to soften hair and give slip to detangling. The marshmallow root works better than Irish moss and Irish moss stinks :nono: I don't know about mixing the fenugreek with marshmallow root though let me know how that works. I don't have time to make those from scratch it's a long messy process.

@Leo24Rule

You should try some hair masques or deep conditioners even with ayurveda I still deep condition weekly.

For LCO Camille rose, kinky curly knot today, tgin
DC Camille Rose, tgin, ouidad. I'm going to try more DCs to have 2 more DC I know work for my hair in my product closet.
Argan oil, coconut oil, tgin oil, macademia oil, olive oil.

Last edited:

Lucia

@Leo24Rule
Yes I believe in specialized products for curly hair most of what I use is specifically for wavy and curly hair the rest works for all hair types like oils or Ayurveda treatments. ETA: and regular moisturizing rinse conditioners like suave for cowashing cheaply.

Last edited:

Dee Raven

With all this ayurveda talk, I decided to do a gloss yesterday with brahmi and amla powder. It worked out pretty well. It was strengthening, but less so than with a protein treatment. I'm really liking the idea that you can upgrade cheaper products to meet your specific hair purposes by just adding some additional powders or oils. And the gloss was SOOOO much easier then a full application.

Also, I noticed that my longest layer is now back to tailbone (Ya!), so I'll be trimming next wash day. Which reminded me that there is this video on trimming that I've been meaning to post.

I trimmed this way the last time I cut my hair and I am in love. For those who don't speak Spanish, she first cuts the longest length of her hair wet straight, and she uses her fingers as the gauge for how much to cut. For her, she used three fingers , but when I trimmed I used two. Then she styles the hair. After it dries she goes through and trims the upper layers as needed for health and shape. I have tried cutting my hair in so many different ways over the years, and this is the method that makes me feel the most confident and makes the most sense for my hair.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
As I was perusing the this thread, I found a post I made joining the challenge (back in 2015!). I just rejoined LHCF two months ago and totally forgot about any of the challenges I was in. Is it okay to join again @Lucia ?

Lucia

As I was perusing the this thread, I found a post I made joining the challenge (back in 2015!). I just rejoined LHCF two months ago and totally forgot about any of the challenges I was in. Is it okay to join again @Lucia ?

Sure welcome back!
although the "challenge" is more like checking in, support and accountability. Whatever goals you set for yourself that's what you check in with.

Chicoro

On July 16th, 2017, I posted in this thread that I was 3 inches from tailbone length.

Now, I'm only 2 inches from tail bone length!!!!

I was in Georgia, Alabama and Florida in some muggy, hot, humid weather and I have been plying my hair with shea butter. Also, I couldn't wash my hair for the entire month of August. I think my hair likes humid weather.

I'm going for tail bone by December 31st, 2017. If I got only one hair there, I AM CLAIMING IT!

Chicoro

Well,
I found some hairs so long that they are BELOW my belly button. Yeah! :cupidarrow::dance7:

I am a 'strand counter' in that I claim a length even when it's just a few hairs. This is a first for me. I've seen my hair at the point right above and touching my belly button, and at the center of my belly button. I have never seen my hair grow and reach underneath my belly button.

I would attribute the gains to using a pure finger detangle method (no combing, no brushing at all) and using shea butter. These are the two main things I added to my regimen in December 2016.

beauti

The MAGNIFICENCE hits the screen at about @18:00 minutes. I believe her hair stretched is thigh length.

Last edited: