Grow It Long Challenge Keep Growing On...

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
Hey,
Yes, you know I write book long posts. Of course I can detail it!

I run my braid under warm water and soften the hair. I unbraid my hair and apply more water, tap the roots with gel, then I apply about 2 teaspoons of Shea butter from root to tip. I may dip in my jar and hit my ends again and coat them until they are straight from all that greasy butter!

When I was first starting to incorporate Shea this year, I would go over the braided hair with more Shea butter. But my hair likes to unravel and loosened hairs were being tangled around my braid with that way. So, now I just unbraid the whole braid and re-do when I want to add more Shea butter.

Applying Shea butter to my hair is such a pleasure in itself, I re-braid my hair every day sometimes just so I can goop on more Shea butter!
Thank you for the detailed response. It’s always a pleasure.

Aggie

Me and those 5 strands of hair, thank you! I agree with you about the inversion.

I treat inversion like a dirty secret, in that I don't acknowledge it. I'm confused about inversion. I started it because of your gorgeous results. I trust you. And for the most part, I do it pretty faithfully. The practical part of me wants to be able to pinpoint how, when and why inversion helped me, but it doesn't work like that. And I knew that before I started as you all schooled me on how to determine if it were working or not.

BUT, here in lies my conflict. In August, I did nothing except ply on Shea butter to my hair. I skipped doing inversion and even washing my hair. Prior to that, I didn't notice too much growth. But when I came back to my home in September, or October, I realized that I had a whole 1 inch of growth.

This is the reason why I like changing only 1 thing at a time. To better be able to identify what is responsible for a benefit or a problem.

So let me revise it and write down my processes thoroughly and correctly!
My growth has come from:
  1. 10 months of inversion (5 minutes per session, for 7 days in row)
  2. Shea Butter use
  3. No combing method
Thank you for keeping me honest @Aggie !
You're welcome hon. I am going out to look for shea butter today but if I don't find any, I will add it to my list of products to purchase this month. I believe I have a tiny bit of refined shea but not unrefined in my stash. I don't know if refined is as good - it probably isn't, so I will get what I feel is best for my hair growth efforts. I believe this aids in preventing the hair from breaking off.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
You're welcome hon. I am going out to look for shea butter today but if I don't find any, I will add it to my list of products to purchase this month. I believe I have a tiny bit of refined shea but not unrefined in my stash. I don't know if refined is as good - it probably isn't, so I will get what I feel is best for my hair growth efforts. I believe this aids in preventing the hair from breaking off.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does.

Lucia

I'm sorry to hear about your hair set-back. Those are never fun, but they are always informative in that they let us know what our hair likes and doesn't like. More importantly, I hope the stressor in your life has been minimized. Take care of you!

Your new regimen sounds like a good, well thought out hair plan and process for the Winter! I used to live in Cedar Rapids, IOWA, and along with that snow that came halfway up the front door, was the Arctic winter cold as well. Are you covering your head from door to door, meaning when you leave the house, to get into the car, to get into work and back again?

It’s a little discouraging to not be where I know I should be, but I know it will grow back.
Thank goodness all my stressors have been resolved and I now have that time to take care of myself like I did before all these changes.
@Chicoro
Thanks for caring and great advice as always. :bighug:
You’re always lifting your fellow women up in the hair game, I really appreciate it and please never stop being you.

1 of of my stressors was moving south to a warmer climate, I used to live in Illinois.
No cold arctic winters with several feet of snow here, just humidity and rain and little bit cold like 50’s F. (To other people who live here it’s cold, to me it’s a little bit cold :lol: )
That’s why I’m not using straight butters and blending them with oils so there not as heavy and I’m not using as much to get the moisturizing effect. Also I’m almost 100% sure I have low porosity hair so it will help with absorbstion, I can still use a soft butter instead of gel on the length and ends over a creamy leave in that’s what I used to do.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@Chicoro
Here’s another woman who’s big on butters. Modern Mrs Huxtable

Lucia, I just read the brochure in your siggy.

It is really blessing me, because I struggle some with balancing being my real self in a relatable way and being a representative for God. I'm still working it out, but your brochure gave me encouragement and a nudge. I'm actually sitting here tearing up, this has been such a weight on my heart.

And, oh: Godspeed with your hair goals! You're getting there, for sure.

Lucia

Lucia, I just read the brochure in your siggy.

It is really blessing me, because I struggle some with balancing being my real self in a relatable way and being a representative for God. I'm still working it out, but your brochure gave me encouragement and a nudge. I'm actually sitting here tearing up, this has been such a weight on my heart.

And, oh: Godspeed with your hair goals! You're getting there, for sure.

Just take it 1 day a time, like the serenity prayer says, you will get there
Thanks and your welcome. Godbless

Btw I like your product stash pics
How do you like that soultanics oil? TIA

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Just take it 1 day a time, like the serenity prayer says, you will get there
Thanks and your welcome. Godbless

Btw I like your product stash pics
How do you like that soultanics oil? TIA

I like the prepoo oil a lot. However, I have found that creamier substances are better for me for detangling. Nice quality oil, though.

Their Knot Dressing oil smells divine! If I weren't using the DIY CurlyProverbz oil, I would probably be using the Knot Dressing oil.

Thanks. Yes! He'll get me there. :smile:

Aggie

I just applied and massaged my CP Ayurveda Growth Oil for 5 minutes, moisturized my ends with APB Moisturizing Hair Lotion and Inverted for 5 minutes.

Day 5 of my Inversion for the month of November is complete.

Aggie

I just applied and massaged my CP Ayurveda Growth Oil for 5 minutes, moisturized my ends with APB Moisturizing Hair Lotion and Inverted for 5 minutes.

Day 6 of my Inversion for the month of November is complete.

Aggie

Tonight I:

Just finished massaging some Curly Proverbz Ayurveda Hair growth oil on my scalp and pre oiled the length to green house effect while I sleep tonight.

Tomorrow I will be:

Pouring the herbal paste left over from my henna tea rinse on my scalp in the shower in the morning.
Cowashing it out with Joico K-Pak Color Conditioner
Deep Conditioning with SSI Peach Conditioner
Moisturize with APB Cupuacu Avocado Moisturizer
Style 3 big plaits and wear my wig for the day

Chicoro

For my longest braid, I took my hair loose, wet it and stretched and measured it. It's about 24 inches. Although this is long, it didn't seem to gain that much length in 2017. That's okay because I did a transition of my hair routine and hair process.

I realize that my hair is thickening up at this newer length. I'm at the thickening stage. My hair drops in length and gets longer, then stays at the length and waits for the rest of the hair to catch up to the length and thickens. That can last anywhere from 3 to 8 months.

I may not see any new length until April to June 2018.

Lucia

Last week I:
Scalp massage and inversion w Ayurvedic oil, then moisturize w Tgin butter or CRN Milk or butter, seal w Shea avocado oil blend nightly (I don’t undo my braids unless they unravel)
Co washed and DC 1 time
usual moisture seal routine, then air dried in loose braids
PS under wigs

Chicoro

On July 16th, 2017, I posted in this thread that I was 3 inches from tailbone length.

Now, I'm only 2 inches from tail bone length!!!!

I was in Georgia, Alabama and Florida in some muggy, hot, humid weather and I have been plying my hair with shea butter. Also, I couldn't wash my hair for the entire month of August. I think my hair likes humid weather.

I'm going for tail bone by December 31st, 2017. If I got only one hair there, I AM CLAIMING IT!

In September I was 2 inches from tail bone length. Today, on December 3rd, 2017, now I am only 1 inch from tail bone length!!!!!! WE counting strands, not bulk, ya'll!

Recapitulation:
  • July 16th, 2017- 3 inches from tail bone length
  • September 5th, 2017 - 2 inches from tail bone length
  • December 3rd, 2017 - 1 inch from tail bone length
Here's what's 'inconsistent'. I started with hair at 21 inches in the back in January 2017. Now, 12 months later my hair is 21.5 inches. AND, I gained 4 inches, but not in the back, but in the crown. Yet, the progress to tail bone is being 'measured', by pulling the hair in the back of my head.

The 1 inch from tail bone is there for sure. The measurements of the length and growth amount may be what I miscalculated. I don't know, though.

I'm going to measure 1 more time to see if I actually reach tail bone length by December 31st, 2017.

Last edited:

Lucia

In September I was 2 inches from tail bone length. Today, on December 3rd, 2017, now I am only 1 inch from tail bone length!!!!!! WE counting strands, not bulk, ya'll!

Recapitulation:
  • July 16th, 2017- 3 inches from tail bone length
  • September 5th, 2017 - 2 inches from tail bone length
  • December 3rd, 2017 - 1 inch from tail bone length
Here's what's 'inconsistent'. I started with hair at 21 inches in the back in January 2017. Now, 12 months later my hair is 21.5 inches. AND, I gained 4 inches, but not in the back, but in the crown. Yet, the progress to tail bone is being 'measured', by pulling the hair in the back of my head.

The 1 inch from tail bone is there for sure. The measurements of the length and growth amount may be what I miscalculated. I don't know, though.

I'm going to measure 1 more time to see if I actually reach tail bone length by December 31st, 2017.

:grin: you’re almost there I’ll be waiting for update pics congrats

Sosoothing

I have finally hit mid back length after realizing I needed protein more often and more protective styling.
@Chicoro how do you soften your shea butter? I bought a tub and it's yellow and hard at room temperature. Should I microwave or heat it? TIA.

Chicoro

I am interested in people who have difficulty gaining length even when they:
  1. Deep condition
  2. Stop using heat
  3. Stop coloring or relaxing
  4. Begin protective styling
  5. Stop cutting their hair
And still had difficulty growing their hair, yet they found a way. My focus is on techniques and processes to gain length on afro-textured hair, specifically hair in the 3 to 4 range [ I hate hair typing], that responds and grows based on a PROCESS that is repeatable and can be transferred to other people. Most importantly, I am interested in processes and procedures people develop to gain length on their hair that are based on knowledge and understanding.

That 52 inches video in post #866 contains none of what I have mentioned.

Chicoro

:grin: you’re almost there I’ll be waiting for update pics congrats

Thank you for the congratulations!

It's only strands @Lucia . Although, I am a believer in the idea that if one strand can get to a certain length, the rest of the hair can, too.

The great thing for me is that I understand the process for gaining tail bone length on afro-textured hair. I started out with a theory. In practice, the results have proven my theory to be correct, true and workable for me. I don't even need to see if the process works for other people. That is because I know it does. The reason being I created and refined this tailbone growth process based on observing about 10 other people's processes. Some go as far back as 5+ years from Fotki members to people I've seen on Youtube today. So, I know it works!

In addition to this, the science I have in my head, as it relates to hair growth, substantiates the process as well. I just didn't 'see it' before. Now, I see it.