Grow It Long Challenge Keep Growing On...

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I have finally hit mid back length after realizing I needed protein more often and more protective styling.
@Chicoro how do you soften your shea butter? I bought a tub and it's yellow and hard at room temperature. Should I microwave or heat it? TIA.

Congratulations on your progress! That is absolutely wonderful. The advice I tell everyone is, without mixing it with an electric mixer, your shea mix is very likely to FAIL. Period.

If you don't have an electric mixer to mix down your Shea butter mix, your mix will never come out buttery and light. A blender, or a stick blender, or hand mixing, a a fork or a food processor will not work. The first step of the processes is to ensure that you can mix down your blend with with an electric mixer.

I take my Shea butter at room temperature and add coconut oil and olive oil. That' all you need. Additional oils are optional. Then I blend with the the electric mixer. When the color gets lighter and the texture changes to fluffy, it's ready. The only time I heat Shea over hot water is when it is grainy.

This is some Senegalese Shea butter I found in the beauty supply. I added coconut oil nd olive oil and whipped it 1x and it was still grainy and the same texture and color you see in the first photo.

So, I took the bowl and melted it down completely over some hot water. Then, I put it back in the fridge to harden it. Then I took the harden butter and added a bit more olive oil and whipped it again. The grease you see in the bowl is more olive oil. Within seconds, it turned the white color and got fluffy.

In general, most Shea butters will turn to the white fluffy stuff after being whipped 1x. I talk about it in more detail in the post below:

Shea Growth and Retention Regimen 2015 , Posts # 403 and #404

https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...ion-regimen-2015.742385/page-14#post-24404699

Attachments

• ZenaSheaButter Senegal4.JPG
    ZenaSheaButter Senegal4.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 82
  • ZenaSheaButter Senegal5.JPG
    ZenaSheaButter Senegal5.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Taleah2009

I am interested in people who have difficulty gaining length even when they:
  1. Deep condition
  2. Stop using heat
  3. Stop coloring or relaxing
  4. Begin protective styling
  5. Stop cutting their hair
And still had difficulty growing their hair, yet they found a way. My focus is on techniques and processes to gain length on afro-textured hair, specifically hair in the 3 to 4 range [ I hate hair typing], that responds and grows based on a PROCESS that is repeatable and can be transferred to other people. Most importantly, I am interested in processes and procedures people develop to gain length on their hair that are based on knowledge and understanding.

That 52 inches video in post #866 contains none of what I have mentioned.

These are three things I am focusing now. I already don't use direct heat very often (maybe 5x per yr max), but I definitely slipped on DCing and protective styleing for the past 3 years and my hair has suffered. I am trying to find a balance between low manipulation styles and protective styling. So far wearing hair out 3days a week and then PS the rest of the week until wash day has been what I have been doing.

Dee Raven

You know I'm really looking forward to the end of the year when everyone posts their updates. I just bought a new blowdryer because I'm going to flat iron for the first time in two years, gosh maybe three. Where does the time go? The only thing I'm worried about is that I have been dealing with anemia for the past few months and I think I've been losing hair. It feels thinner. But I'll find out in a week in a half.

Lucia

You know I'm really looking forward to the end of the year when everyone posts their updates. I just bought a new blowdryer because I'm going to flat iron for the first time in two years, gosh maybe three. Where does the time go? The only thing I'm worried about is that I have been dealing with anemia for the past few months and I think I've been losing hair. It feels thinner. But I'll find out in a week in a half.

If you do turn out to be suffering from anemia don’t sleep on it people have lost massive amounts of hair from not knowing or treating anemia deficiency. Look at sista with real hair on YouTube she overcame it. Hope it’s not too bad.

Dee Raven

Welp, it was much better than I thought. Trimmed about 1 - 1.5 from the bottom. When I rewash, I'll trim the ends of my layered hair. I blowdried with that revlon brush and it worked so well. I was able to do it in four sections in about 30 minutes. Ya! In the pics you'll see the before and after trim shots, plus my ends after the trim.

Attachments

• Dec 16 2017 - post.jpg
    Dec 16 2017 - post.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 90
  • Dec 16 2017 - Pre.jpg
    Dec 16 2017 - Pre.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 2017-12-16 22.06.18.jpg
    2017-12-16 22.06.18.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 85

Chicoro

Welp, it was much better than I thought. Trimmed about 1 - 1.5 from the bottom. When I rewash, I'll trim the ends of my layered hair. I blowdried with that revlon brush and it worked so well. I was able to do it in four sections in about 30 minutes. Ya! In the pics you'll see the before and after trim shots, plus my ends after the trim.

Congratulations @Dee Raven ! Let the band play: :band2:

GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL! :dance7:

@Dee Raven is at tailbone, ya'll!!!! :toocool: She has made it to a 'hair' milestone goal. Tailbone is one of THE BIG ones and one of the more elusive ones.

Look at the length and THICKNESS of that hair. It came out lovely! You haven't straightened your hair in about 2 to 3 years, you say?

Your ends look like a huge bushel of full, glorious hair. I know you mentioned up thread that you were experiencing some health issues. Your ends look very, very good.

Okay, you know the obligatory question and response session is coming. Can you tell us:
  1. What is your regimen, please?
  2. What daily style, or protective style do you use?
  3. Your trimming schedule?
  4. Do you use any butters or oils?
  5. Do you have an ends routine?
  6. Do you use protein for your hair?
  7. How long did it take you to reach this length?
What is the name of the brush or tool you used to blow dry your hair in 30 minutes? Thank you!

Last edited:

Dee Raven

Congratulations @Dee Raven ! Let the band play: :band2:

GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL! :dance7:

@Dee Raven is at tailbone, ya'll!!!! :toocool: She has made it to a 'hair' milestone goal. Tailbone is one of THE BIG ones and one of the more elusive ones.

Look at the length and THICKNESS of that hair. It came out lovely! You haven't straightened your hair in about 2 to 3 years, you say?

Your ends look like a huge bushel of full, glorious hair. I know you mentioned up thread that you were experiencing some health issues. Your ends look very, very good.

Thanks, Chicoro.

Here are some answers.
  1. What is your regimen, please? KISS - Wash (saponized argan oil or Ouidad shampoo) DC (Don't have a fave) Detangle and style into wng (leave in and ecostyler gel), about once a month I like to do a clarifying and protein treatment, I've been using either rhassoul clay, DevaCurl Build up buster (which I've been liking a log recently) and then deep condition no heat with Ouidad curl recovery meltdown (This combo I highly recommend).
  2. What daily style, or protective style do you use? Wng
  3. Your trimming schedule? Every 5 - 6 months
  4. Do you use any butters or oils? I've avoid oils now. My hair is pretty fine, and oil can start to build up really quickly on my hair. Some of the products I use might have oil, which is why the once a month clarifying treatment is really important.
  5. Do you have an ends routine? No
  6. Do you use protein for your hair? Ouidad curl recovery mask (this is the easiest protein treatment I've ever done. Technically it's called an elasticity treatment, but my hair loves it. I think particularly since my strands are fine.)
  7. How long did it take you to reach this length? I'm not sure. I've been bouncing between HL and TBL for the last couple of years. I've been dealing with anemia, bad products (oil buildup and dryness) and a need for variety (got a DevaCut last year) which has meant that I've kept cutting back to hip and regrowing. Something interesting that I had never really thought about before is that having longer hair does expose health changes in a more dramatic way. I noticed several bloggers mentioning the changes in the hair after bouts of post partum, anemia.
What is the name of the brush or tool you used to blow dry your hair in 30 minutes?

Here is the brush. I decided to try it after her demo.

Chicoro

@Dee Raven ,
Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions regarding your lovely hair and phenomenal length. Congratulations to you once again! I know I'm definitely inspired by your results.

Lucia

So this weekend
I pre pooed with Maui moisture shea masque (purple jar) ion dry hair overnight. That’s stuff is amazing for regular cheapie drugstore brand and smell yummy. Don’t sleep on some of these cheap products everything doesnt have to be Deva this, Ouudad that.

In the morning I did a coconut oil scalp massage and coated length covered with plastic cap let that sit for 2.5 hours then last 30 m used a heating cap then co washed it with tgin rinse out and leave in conditioners mixed together
Finger detangled then followed with wide tooth comb
Rinsed with warm to slightly cool water.
Sprayed with aloe Vera juice, my own butter mix concoction then braided it up and done.

Last edited:

PlanetCybertron

I’d like to join!

Start Date:
About five years ago

I haven’t cut my hair since I grew it out from chin length
End Date:
Probably not for another 2 years so I’m going for the diamond I suppose
Hair Length Goal for this Challenge:

Classic

Ultimate Hair Length Goal:

Full knee length

What or who inspired you to go for this goal ex: a picture of celeb, YT, someone on hairboards, blogger etc (post links):

It was mostly dreams I used to have as a child
Regimen:

It’s very very simple. And it tends to change with the season or how I’m feeling.

Spray roots with diluted shampoo, rinse, condition. I do that every other day since I compete in sports and I’m always sweating

Deep condition 2x times a week alternating between moisture/protein, or I give my hair a soak for 30 mins in peppermint rose water

Seal as needed/oil ends

ACV rinse as needed
Extras to help get to goal faster:

It’s not so much for faster growth, but it’s to keep my scalp calm from all the sweating I do. I just make a peppermint coconut oil mix to apply to my scalp whenever I’m having a bad case of the itchies and to curb any dandruff or excessive shedding.
What you will do once you reach goal:

Probably get bored with my new length and want to grow it longer.

Chicoro

I’d like to join!

Start Date:
About five years ago

I haven’t cut my hair since I grew it out from chin length
End Date:
Probably not for another 2 years so I’m going for the diamond I suppose

Classic

Full knee length

What or who inspired you to go for this goal ex: a picture of celeb, YT, someone on hairboards, blogger etc (post links):

It was mostly dreams I used to have as a child
Regimen:

It’s very very simple. And it tends to change with the season or how I’m feeling.

Spray roots with diluted shampoo, rinse, condition. I do that every other day since I compete in sports and I’m always sweating

Deep condition 2x times a week alternating between moisture/protein, or I give my hair a soak for 30 mins in peppermint rose water

Seal as needed/oil ends

ACV rinse as needed

It’s not so much for faster growth, but it’s to keep my scalp calm from all the sweating I do. I just make a peppermint coconut oil mix to apply to my scalp whenever I’m having a bad case of the itchies and to curb any dandruff or excessive shedding.

Probably get bored with my new length and want to grow it longer.

You may want to check out the thread for Hip and tailbone length hair, too! I am sure they would love to have you there as well as here.

https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/hip-tbl-beyond-challenge-2018.801937/

PlanetCybertron

No, that lovely lady is not me! I do love her hair, though. I am a huge, huge fan of hers. She has incredible hair. And she is so very generous with her information.

Oh okay. I still love your hair in your Avatar though.

I checked out her channel, and I absolutely love her hair! It’s so beautiful, and she’s very informative.

Chicoro

Oh okay. I still love your hair in your Avatar though.

I checked out her channel, and I absolutely love her hair! It’s so beautiful, and she’s very informative.

Thank you! There's plenty of my hair around on this board but not much of it heat straightened. I haven't straightened my hair since September 2014, in about four (4) years. I think I'm due for a press soon.

Welcome to the board!

Leo24Rule

I'd like to re-join!

Start Date:
I've always been a natural. Starting this challenge as of yesterday as it was the last time I picked up the scissors lol
End Date:
The duration of this challenge, 'til I grow to my desired length, fo'eva

BSL curly

MBL curly

Regimen:
Weekly hot oil treatments and deep conditioning treatments
Henna glosses bi-weekly
LOC method
Protective Styling

Take daily Andrew Lessman's: Aloe Vera, Marine Collagen with MSM, Hair Skin & Nails along with a multi-vitamin and protein shakes, increase water intake, eat healthier, exercise, and incorporate scalp massages.

Continue to longer healthy growing.

Aggie

Tomorrow I will be:

-Shampooing with Hairveda Deep Cleansing Shampoo
-Protein Deep Conditioning with Hairveda Step 1 Methi Sativa Tea Deep Protein Masque
-Moisturizing DC with Hairveda Step 2 Methi Sativa Tea Moisture Conditioning Milk
-Leave-in with Komaza Care Aloe My Hair Leave-in Conditioner

-Later I will be moisturizing and sealing with SCurl Curl Activator Moisturizer and my DIY Shea Butter Blend.

-I thought it still had Komaza Care Protein Conditioner but turned out that I used it all already :blush:

Leo24Rule

All week I've been moisturizing my hair with water and leave-in conditioner and keeping it up in a little bun due to my short hair cut.