Grow, then cut...or cut then grow? WWYD

Cut n grow...or grow then cut.

• Total voters

gymfreak336

:yep: Our aspirations seem to be so much more attainable when we're starting from a clean slate. I wish I could get a blow horn, climb up on the highest mountain there is and preach this "Raggedy :censored: ends are not cute no matter how long your hair is" message that's been burning down in my soul for quite some time.lol. Trust me the masses need to hear it.

Preach on Preach on.

If its raggedy it isn't cute. Not to mention that when your cuticle is all chipped to hell, your hair will constantly tangle and reject styling. If you can't touch it, can't style it, can't breath on it, without adverse effects, you need to go ahead and cut some off.

*Michelle*

haha...LOL! Whew LAWD! I GOT IT, I GOT IT:lachen: Yes, I agree!

Now with THAT said, I was asking about growing and cutting LAYERS! I def don't keep raggedy ends...but I do struggle with cutting to frequently and that is what I meant by it's killing me! haha, I can't stop cracking up at you guys!

Two years later I still have the struggle of loving to cut my hair :wallbash: Maybe I should get back into doing hair where I can cut someone elses :rolleyes:

Stiletto_Diva

A while ago I voted to cut then grow, but now that I'm trying to reach my APL goal by the end of the year I'm a firm believer in grow then cut:yep:. As a natural I will always be cutting my hair to get rid of single strand knots and I will never reach my goal.

RedVelvet310

I cut and trim as I go :yep:, my hair ends up looking better when I reach my goals that way. Right now the longest part of my hair is about APL (v shape) and I could imagine how raggedy and nasty it'd look if I didn't cut it.

*Muffin*

When I first began my hair journey I didn't bother cutting my hair. As a result I was dealing with some very ugly ends. My plan was that, when I reached MBL, I was going to cut my hair blunt up to BSL, and then grow on from there. But my ends were vastly different in texture from the rest of my hair. It seemed that no matter how much I tried to moisturize them they didn't want to retain the moisture. I had a good 3 inches trimmed off recently, and I'm so happy I did it. Now my ends look and feel a lot better. So, long story short, I would rather cut and then grow because I won't be as concerned with the appearance and strength of my ends. I now will be trimming regularly with every relaxer.

Last edited:

iNicola

I choose "Grow then cut". I started my HHJ with a trim because I wanted a good start. I know that my hair does not grow evenly but I'm hoping it doesn't grow raggedy and protect my ends. If my ends are looking bad I'm definitely trimming.

Your Cheeziness

At first I was trying the grow, then cut. But I couldn't wear my hair in anything but a bun b/c my ends were too overprocessed and uneven. So I did a 3 inch chop in April and have been in love with my hair every since. If the ends are unhealthy, I say let them go. They will grow back.

CurlyMoo

If you can say without a doubt that you can give yourself small trims; without actually cutting a few inches off. I say give yourself small trims every 3 months. I tried just letting my hair grow and then trim when I reach a certain length but my hair tangled so bad.

I also made the mistake in thiniking that if I cut off an inch my hair would stop breaking at the ends. Turned out it was protein overload and I was still getting the breakage. So I cut too much and I may not be meeting my goal for June which is Midback.

Live4Me

Usually I would say cut and then grow. But as I have gone along this lil journey with my hair the last five months, I have learned that my hair grows terribly uneven. I have a V in the back and the front is on it's own schedule. Plus, one side of my hair grows faster than the other. So no matter how much "dusting" or "trimming" or "evening up" that I do, it's not getting me anywhere. So now I believe in only taking scissors to my hair if it is split.

I went to a stylist the other day who said that my ends looked thin compared to my roots. Duh! I haven't had a perm in five months! I told her do not cut my "thin ends" off. I told her when I get to BSL, I cut some off each month. Until then, leave it alone!

SimpleKomplexity

If you just keep trimming, you will never see any progress to me. A trim is about na inch, and we grow an inch every two months. That's a looong time to be growing! I'll even things out once I get to BSL.

Chevelure618

I say dust along the way. Dusting makes you and your hair feel so much better without traumatizing yourself. Dusting every 8-10 weeks seems to keep it nice. By the way, "dust" to mean means 1/8" or less...the very minimum you can get into your VERY SHARP scissors.

Taina

I will cuting as my hair grows. I HATE empty ends. I like to see my hair beautiful all the way intill my final goal, not ugly all the way, or reach my goal just 3 strands .. No, No. Cut and THEN grow. =)

Last edited:

tkj25

i do love the look of blunt even ends, but i'm growing then cutting.:drunk::look::spinning: i will dust & make mini-trims as i grow, but i don't plan on blunt-cutting my hair until i reach my waist length goal.

Last edited:

Anna9764

I voted cut then grow. In june july august I cut quite a bit off, everytime I seen damage. Now it's september october and my ends look pretty good..gonna look them over when I take out my ponytail, don't think it will be as much as before because I took so much off. Me myself I don't want a head full of unhealthy looking hair, but healthy vibrant hair. Harder to cut later. Your hair is beautiful!! just give it a good dust. Good thread OP

Kellum

I think I did both. I cut a lot of length before I got started to get rid of old relaxed ends. Now that I am where I want to be I will just be doing light trims as needs. I don't want to get to my goal and then have to do a big cut.

fyb87

I think your hair looks better when it is nicely trimmed. Going around with raggedy ends is not a good look! IHMO

nymane

I voted grow then cut; I don't have any more damage (just unevenness) so I'm going to be patient & grow until I'm BSL then trim

makeupgirl

It depends honestly on my moods. I'm in the mood right now after seeing my relaxed ends is to just cut, then grow. Not sure if it's going to be the big chop or not but if my hair wasn't acting right in the past it was using cut then grow.

Prudent1

I usually cut and then grow in cases of damaged ends b/c I hate the way dry damaged ends look. For regular maintainence I dust as needed. I usually chop it all off and start from the beginning.

SmilingElephant

I'm not gonna give myself a good trim til like early next year.....right now i just dust my ends about every 6 months or whenever they are really gettin out of hand.

I'm waiting to reach Full WSL to give myself a really good .5 to 1 inch trim.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
When I do a length check (every 3 months) I check the condition of my ends and do a dusting if needed. Otherwise, I leave my hair alone.