Growing back them sides

Jemineye

Hi guys. I'm a newbie. I finally decided to join because I think that it's time I got serious about my hair and after seeing the transition of a friend's hair (she's part of this site too), I was like "wow...I gotta get into this".

Anyway, I've recently relaxed my hair again after six years of keeping it natural. I wanted to do this so I could wear it long and take the tension off my sides because I want them grow them back. They have been worse, but I am seeing a little progress now. I just want to make them nice and thick again. Are there any methods that you guys have used to grow your sides back after breakage?

I have also lost my sides, after a year of care that grew them back in nice and thick. I was on bedrest and in the hospital and didn't take care of my hair for three months. The neglect resulted in my sides receding greatly, sadly enough.

I will be back on my Rogaine regimen which is what grew my sides back in the FIRST TIME. I started out with the women's formula, but had an allergic reaction to it so I switched to the Men's foam. In just a few months (4 to 6) I could see my sides growing in to the point where I couldn't see the scalp anymore.

It's the only thing that has worked for me, and I've tried everything. The only thing is that when you use it, it's a long term commitment. I'd advise talking with a health expert first, but I had EXTREMELY GOOD results with Rogaine foam.

Nameless

:welcome: fellow Londoner. I don't know how to grow edges back from personal experience but a lot of ladies have praised Castor Oil because it has thickened their edges.
I'm bumping so you get more responses.
Happy hair growing.

Jemineye

Thanks for that. I'll look into that too. A friend of mine confirmed that Rogain is an American product, so I don't think I'll be able to get me hands on that. How long does Castor Oil take, do you know? I know that there are no quick fix methods, but I've been trying to grow my sides back for years so I suppose you can understand my frustration.

Amcd

Thanks for that. I'll look into that too. A friend of mine confirmed that Rogain is an American product, so I don't think I'll be able to get me hands on that. How long does Castor Oil take, do you know? I know that there are no quick fix methods, but I've been trying to grow my sides back for years so I suppose you can understand my frustration.

Check amazon. I think it is called Regaine there, but is the same formula as Rogaine. I love Amazon so much here in the US so I checked the UK site.

Sade'

I have also lost my sides, after a year of care that grew them back in nice and thick. I was on bedrest and in the hospital and didn't take care of my hair for three months. The neglect resulted in my sides receding greatly, sadly enough.

I will be back on my Rogaine regimen which is what grew my sides back in the FIRST TIME. I started out with the women's formula, but had an allergic reaction to it so I switched to the Men's foam. In just a few months (4 to 6) I could see my sides growing in to the point where I couldn't see the scalp anymore.

It's the only thing that has worked for me, and I've tried everything. The only thing is that when you use it, it's a long term commitment. I'd advise talking with a health expert first, but I had EXTREMELY GOOD results with Rogaine foam.

Really? I have some Rogaine Foam collecting dust under my sink. Wonder if I should break it out for my thinning crown. I just hate the fact that it falls back out after u stop using it.

Sade'

Hi guys. I'm a newbie. I finally decided to join because I think that it's time I got serious about my hair and after seeing the transition of a friend's hair (she's part of this site too), I was like "wow...I gotta get into this".

Anyway, I've recently relaxed my hair again after six years of keeping it natural. I wanted to do this so I could wear it long and take the tension off my sides because I want them grow them back. They have been worse, but I am seeing a little progress now. I just want to make them nice and thick again. Are there any methods that you guys have used to grow your sides back after breakage?

Good luck Jemineye. These ladies have great suggestions/ Ur edges will be back in no time.

Kiadodie

The hair on my temple thinned out big time. If I stop using the Rogaine, will my thin sides fall out or just stop growing?

Amcd

My husband used rogaine in his late 20's to stop his male patterened baldness and it would come back if he stopped using it. Lucky for him he looks great bald and he finally shaved it. You do have to keep using it to keep the hair growing.

Globeleza

I've heard greaat things about JBCO (Jamaican Black Castor Oil) for helping to fill in edges. This is what I will be using this year to help fill in my edges that fell out after I had my son.

Tif392002

yea i have been using castor oil for about 6 weeks now on my sides... and i see a major difference already... and i had tore my edges so bad, i thought it would take up to a year to replace them. but they are growing back faster than i thought, i also use Profectiv temple balm on them.

Amcd

Duh! With all the talk of Rogaine, I forgot to say that personally for me, I've been using JBCO and massaging my edges. I do it sporadically, maybe 3 times a week for the last month, and I really do see a difference.

Jemineye

Oh. Sorry, but that Regaine doesn't sound good. I'd rather a product that lets me maintain my sides even after I stop using it...I don't want to have to become dependent on it (sounds like a product trap to me lol). I will look into the castor oil though. Thanks guys.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

darlingdiva

I've heard good things about Bee Mine Growth Serum.

I ordered the Growth Serum (mango scent), and I've been using it along with ylang ylang every other day. It's too soon to see any results because I started using it shortly after New Year's, but I hope that it works.

Amcd

I don't think the rogaine is a product trap, I think it depends on the cause of your hair loss. It was really developed for male patterned baldness. Something like male patterned baldness (a girlfriend of mine also has this so it's not just men) is different from a hairloss caused by traction, and traction is what causes a lot of missing edges.

Misseyl

Years ago I used the female version of Rogaine and I don't quite remember if my edges grew back in but I had hair growing everywhere, sideburns, arms, everywhere. Once I stopped, then the hair stopped growing.

Lady Esquire

If Rogaine is working, then stick with it. Some say, when you stop with Rogaine, the hair falls back out again. But not for everyone, so only you can tell.

Growing my sides has been an off and on battle with me. I was able to regrow them thick and full. But now, I'm regrowing mine again, after postpartum shedding, and here are some other things that have helped me in the past:

- Castor oil
- Concoction of (peppermint oil, rosemary oil, vitamin e oil, and jojoba oil)
- Saw palmetto pills
- Stay away from styles that pull and strain that region

Things I have been meaning to try:
- I have read here that Nioxin products are great to help wash away the DHT.
- Cayenne pepper supposedly helps stimulate your scalp, stimulating blood flow to the scalp.
- Regular scalp messages.

Your hair is pretty in the avatar. Welcome and good luck.

MsButterfli

ive used JBCO since my sides thinned due to post partum shedding. It worked really well..in a few mths i'll be able to grab the hair to braid, but in the meantime, i leave that area alone and just massage the JBCO in..in due time it will grow back :)