Growing Hair Long With Braidouts

Queenie

baglady215 said:
On wet hair, mine never dry completely overnight. Maybe I could sit under the dryer for a while and then go to sleep?

I use Sebastian Potion 9 to get around this. It is a gel and leave-in. So my wet hair doesn't frizz up.

Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylver2
Thanks, after i take scarf off, I just pick hair out with fingers. Fluff up, add serum and go

Isis said:
Thanks Sylver2 for your reply. I do that also (don't have any serum though) but your beautiful braidouts seem to last a lot longer than mine without having to rebraid. I'll have to figure out what I need to do. I want to always use the scarf method... :scratchch

I was just thinking about the product I use on my braidout after picking my hair out with my fingers. I apply more Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade, which is very light but it also "straightens" out the hair a little, as I've mentioned in older posts. I use it every day to keep my hair from reverting too much during humidity and to add some shine. It is possible that it's loosening up my already loose braidout, more than I need. Other ladies who use this product use it on their straight, relaxed hair.

So maybe I need to try some serum or something other than the Aveda Anti-Humectant, which I already apply over my leave-in on wet hair to seal in moisture. I'm just thinking (typing) out loud here...:lol:

Isis

shortness said:
I attempted twistouts. I am currently sitting at work with my twist outs. I like the result, however my only problem is getting the ends to stay neat. I tried rolling them. They just stay frizzy. How do I keep them nice all day long
Sistaslick said:
@ shortness
. . .well for mine, this is where the sticky consistency of the mango butter comes in I mold the butter onto my ends and then mold the ends in a spiral shape on each roller. Its almost like a gentle glue. My ends always dry perfectly and curly like I like them. At first the sticky nature of the mango butter bothered me especially with my bunning. Mango butter and bunning did not work so great for me. I hated the way it made my ends stick to each other, but I figured out how to make it work for another style. It really helps my ends on the twistouts.

Edited to add Sistaslick's quote since my post popped up in between...I think Sistaslick gave a very good solution with the rollers on the ends that I may try also when I do twistouts.

Last edited:

sylver2

Sistaslick said:
Sadly, in my album I only have pics of my very first failed braidout attempt from '04 and it was not cute at all:lol: Though they've greatly improved as has everything else since then:lachen: , I don't have any updated pics of those.:ohwell: I'll be sure to take some updated ones for my album soon. I do have more recent twistout pics though. I use the same techniques and products, just twisting down instead of braids. I actually think the twists look better on me. So I do them more often.
I'll post an example...I hope these pics show up...:)

This pic is the set I used for the twists (Yes it looks kinda ruff and I probably shouldn't be putting myself on public blast like this:lachen:):

And here is the end result . . . much better!

My braidouts look similar to this but the waves are usually more angular than S-like, if that makes sense. Honestly, I prefer twistouts.

VERY NICE!!!!!!

Isis

baglady215 said:
Thanks Isis.

I have a dusty bottle of Lottabody too! :lol: Maybe I'll pull it out and try it. If I remember correctly, you have to dilute it by more than half. I think that's why mine was in the stash - my crunchy rollerset. :lol:
You're welcome! Besides the one you have, I do have a bottle of Lottabody that doesn't need to be diluted. It's called Lottabody Texturizing Setting Lotion Original Forumula Ready-To-Use. It's supposed to add shine too.
*blows the dust off*

amy1234

I have a confession to make shhhh. I broke away from my bun challenge for a few days and did a braidout. :sekret:

Now why is it that everytime I do a braidout it comes out so big (think of diana ross big) and fluffy looking ??
Because it pouffs out I end up looking like I'm 15 :( . I really want it to hang down more, but I'm not sure what I have to do :nono:

Isis

*Dee* said:
I have a confession to make shhhh. I broke away from my bun challenge for a few days and did a braidout. :sekret:

Now why is it that everytime I do a braidout it comes out so big (think of diana ross big) and fluffy looking ??
Because it pouffs out I end up looking like I'm 15 :( . I really want it to hang down more, but I'm not sure what I have to do :nono:

Mine can still get pretty poufy too although I may have a handle on it now! :lol: Here are my opinions on how this could happen:

I have a feeling that it's partially my braiding technique. Since I don't know how to cornrow, my regular box braids are already somewhat away from my head . Cornrows seem to produce braidouts closer to the head. I've noticed that from other lady's hair journals.

And I learned from Sylver2 to wear a silk or satin scarf over my braidout in the house and in the car, mainly to tame my new growth while I'm stretching but it also tames down my braidout some. It will stick out from the new growth if I don't use a scarf! :antlers:

Also, I feel the product I use or don't use contributes to how big my braidout will be. As I mentioned in the What Makes Your Hair Shine thread, Friday I tried a product I haven't used before on my braidout, Luster's Pink Glosser, which contains many natural oils (smells good too!). I learned about it from Divine Inspiration. Besides the great shine it added, it smoothed my hair cuticles even more which seemed to smooth down my poufiness and didn't weigh my hair down, leaving my hair with a lot of body. I received compliments Friday and Saturday too.

Last edited:

amy1234

thanx Isis!
Isis said:
Mine can still get pretty poufy too although I may have a handle on it now! :lol: Here are my opinions on how this could happen:

I have a feeling that it's partially my braiding technique. Since I don't know how to cornrow, my regular box braids are already somewhat away from my head . Cornrows seem to produce braidouts closer to the head. I've noticed that from other lady's hair journals.

And I learned from Sylver2 to wear a silk or satin scarf over my braidout in the house and in the car, mainly to tame my new growth while I'm stretching but it also tames down my braidout some. It will stick out from the new growth if I don't use a scarf! :antlers:

Also, I feel the product I use or don't use contributes to how big my braidout will be. As I mentioned in the What Makes Your Hair Shine thread, Friday I tried a product I haven't used before on my braidout, Luster's Pink Glosser, which contains many natural oils (smells good too!). I learned about it from Divine Inspiration. Besides the great shine it added, it smoothed my hair cuticles even more which seemed to smooth down my poufiness and didn't weigh my hair down, leaving my hair with a lot of body. I received compliments Friday and Saturday too.

DragonPearl

Well, I have been wearing braidouts all week, and sleeping on them without a scarf, and yesterday morning, DH took one look at me and started laughing. I asked him why, and he said, Don King has nothing on you! :lachen:

I looked at myself and I had to laugh too.

I am glad DH still finds me attractive throughout all my hair experiments. :lol:

Isis

Jessy55 said:
Well, I have been wearing braidouts all week, and sleeping on them without a scarf, and yesterday morning, DH took one look at me and started laughing. I asked him why, and he said, Don King has nothing on you! :lachen:

I looked at myself and I had to laugh too.

I am glad DH still finds me attractive throughout all my hair experiments. :lol:
Well you sure have some beautiful hair experiments Jessy, some we all can use! I love looking through your hair albums for inspiration. :yep:

Divine Inspiration

Isis, I thought I was the only one who liked the smell of that product...it's easy to get tired of IMO, but the first day or so, I like it. It almost smells like fabric softener or new clothes or something. :lol:

Isis

Divine Inspiration said:
Isis, I thought I was the only one who liked the smell of that product...it's easy to get tired of IMO, but the first day or so, I like it. It almost smells like fabric softener or new clothes or something. :lol:

Divine Inspiration, at first I thought maybe Ylang Ylang essential oil was in it (like what Monoi oil has), but it isn't - I smelled my bottle of Ylang Ylang and it's a lot stronger and different. But Luster's smells muskier to me than a fabric softener smell. I keep sniffing my hair, maybe it's just me...:lol:

blackbarbie

So after reading all the informative posts on the ins and outs of braidouts, twists, flat twists, etc. I was inspired to do a flat twist out earlier today. (did a braid out yesterday and just experimented with a few options - many braids vs. a few braids).......

So I have about 6 flat twists in my head right about now and I rolled them on the ends and held in place with a duckbill clip like sistaslick suggested. I am surprised that even as its twisted it looks decent, so I am really expecting good results tomorrow when I take it down.

Can someone tell me again how I can keep it from getting smashed and being flat once I put my bonnet on when I get ready to go to bed? How to keep it refreshed and not tired looking after the first day?

TIA!:)

amy1234

You have to gather the hair over your head with a headband (I know, it does look crazy) , then you put the bonnet over it.

When you wake up, you might need to flatten the hair back down. But this method will prevent the crimps from flattening out from your sleep at night. hth

blackbarbie said:
So after reading all the informative posts on the ins and outs of braidouts, twists, flat twists, etc. I was inspired to do a flat twist out earlier today. (did a braid out yesterday and just experimented with a few options - many braids vs. a few braids).......

So I have about 6 flat twists in my head right about now and I rolled them on the ends and held in place with a duckbill clip like sistaslick suggested. I am surprised that even as its twisted it looks decent, so I am really expecting good results tomorrow when I take it down.

Can someone tell me again how I can keep it from getting smashed and being flat once I put my bonnet on when I get ready to go to bed? How to keep it refreshed and not tired looking after the first day?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hey! I just started braiding up my hair at night 3 days ago. I plan on growing my natural hair out this way. My mom was telling me that's how her hair grew when she was natural, and that's how my hair grew when I was natural before relaxers. It's good to hear other ladies growing out their hair with braidouts! My routine: wash & condition once a week, after washing apply grease to sectioned hair, braid up sections one at a time, wear scarf at night, unravel braids in the morning with oily fingers, and continue this same routine throughout the week. ;)

Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbarbie

Dee said:
You have to gather the hair over your head with a headband (I know, it does look crazy) , then you put the bonnet over it.

When you wake up, you might need to flatten the hair back down. But this method will prevent the crimps from flattening out from your sleep at night. hth
That's a very good tip Dee, thanks for sharing it! I'm filing this one. :fan:

Last edited:

Isis

Poohbear said:
Hey! I just started braiding up my hair at night 3 days ago. I plan on growing my natural hair out this way. My mom was telling me that's how her hair grew when she was natural, and that's how my hair grew when I was natural before relaxers. It's good to hear other ladies growing out their hair with braidouts! My routine: wash & condition once a week, after washing apply grease to sectioned hair, braid up sections one at a time, wear scarf at night, unravel braids in the morning with oily fingers, and continue this same routine throughout the week. ;)

Hey Poohbear! I'll bet you can grow out your hair very quickly that way too. That's what Nay did with her natural hair and she continues to. Your routine sounds like a good one!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Isis said:
Hey Poohbear! I'll bet you can grow out your hair very quickly that way too. That's what Nay did with her natural hair and she continues to. Your routine sounds like a good one!
Thanks Isis! Nay is an inspiration!

I only did this braid out thing for a week. :lol: Then I jumped on this protective style challenge. I wanted to keep my hair in twists for several months. But like always, I get bored quickly with hair styles. Now, I'm back to doing braidouts again. :grin:

Candy_C

Poohbear said:

Thats precisely what i do! sometimes i even leave the durag on whilst out and about (with a hat ontop)

gradygirl

I just put myself on a no heat challenge for the summer so I am going to try to do this style. I have gotten really lazy as far as doing my usual rollerset in spiral curls(It takes alot of rollers) but once I set it lasts all week.I'm hoping to get lasting results with the braidout.

Isis

sxyhairfetish said:
QUESTION! can u also acheive greater lengths with the bantu knot curls?
I'm sure you can. I haven't tried bantu knot curls yet but I think SouthernGirl has pics in her album. Here is a link to her thread about this.

Your baby looks so adorable!

Last edited:

cocowhite

Great thread Isis I was about to ask about doing braidouts in the summer, but that question was answered by Slyver2, so I think I will be doing this throughtout the summertime. Although I have one question how does the heat effect the hair being out, because it gets hot in Califoria.

I also notice that you guys are doing braidout after you wash. How do you keep your hair from tangling while braiding? Because I tried this wet and me no likey, it was tangling along the way.

Last edited: