Growing it Healthy - Old School

I remember the days :yep: My hair grew a lil too well. Got down to my behind and mama couldnt take all that hair natural, so here comes PCJ pressing comb in a jar... :nono: and there goes my hair up to shoulder

HEY CG!!!!!
Girl, back then there were no ouchless bands, they were all RUBBER bands! Even though they took out some hair, my hair was still BSL back then. You are so right about the pressing grease! My mom used Ultra Sheen in the yellow jar. I hated getting my hair pressed too! All of those burns on my ears, I'm surprised I have any grissle(sp?) left!LOL!

I was the kid everyone laughed at... I literally looked like Kizzy the Slave until the "California Curl" came out... my mother didnt know how to braid/cornrow... so I had these big 1872 plaits with big bows on em

cept on special occasions when I went to the beauty parlor where this 90 yr old lady managed to make a 8 yr old look like Rosa Parks and dared me to mess it up

LOL.....girl u and me both. My great-grandma raised me and she didn't know nothing about barrettes or bo-bos either. So I had Harriet Tubman looking plaits all day everyday after she greased my scalp with ultra sheen and brushed "out my kitchen" as per her that was "nappier than sheeps butt"........LOL:lachen:

Ah, the memories! The grease you speak of, Curlz, is Royal Crown!! We used it religiously and yes, I got my ears burnt too. I never had long hair as a child, either, as someone else posted, but it has always been thick and shiny. Funny how that old school stuff/methods worked...
Ahhhh yes that's the name of it, couldn't remember it because I rarely ever see it anymore. Thankies! I used to get my ears burnt too, until mom was basing my ears and forehead, just like when you get a perm with that grease!! But thankfully, it was a one time shot cuz I can remember getting scared to get my hair pressed again because of getting burned.

I sat on phone books.:yep:
LOL I sat on phone books only when I'm sitting in the floor to get my hair combed, if it wasn't another pot LOL

DD sits on one now! Right on top of two big ole phone books :rofl3::look:
Ahhhhh :rofl3:, your DD is going to remember that Buttercreme, don't let her have anything to arm ya with when she gets older, like we're all reminiscing now LOL:lol:

*Bump*

:wave:

Anyone else remember their old school regime? TIA

I am using too many products. I need to simplify, and go back to 'old school': one shampoo, one conditioner, one styling product and wearing one style--a bun (since I work-out) . . .

Yes, I remember my momma ripping through my hair every morning with a fine-tooth comb to redo my braids. :perplexed I also remember her brushing my hair with some pink Goody bristle brush that she would dip in a cup of water. My mom preferred oil to grease (thank God for that one!). Shampooed and conditioned once a week, either in the tub or my favorite... laying on the kitchen counter, with my hair in the freakin' sink at Grandma's house! :lol:

I remember getting to wear the back of my hair "out" for church (the front was still in a braid or 2), and Mom would put it on big rollers for the night. My hair would be in big and poofy curls the next day. It was actually rather cute. :grin:

Which leads me to wonder... how come I never pulled the rollers out of my hair? Cuz no matter how tightly Mom tied that scarf on my head, I always pulled it out in my sleep... :lachen: Shoot even now there are times I will pull out the scarf or hair tie I use to pineapple my hair... I must be anti-scarf or something... :rolleyes:

Now my mom didn't know jack about hair I was basically forced to learn about hair on my own. But grandma would get my hair to about apl in the summer only for it to get broken back off to shoulder by my moms hair practices.

OMG, This is a great post! :)

I remember the Saturday evening ritual of getting my hair pressed for church on Sunday, only there were three of us girls who needed to be pressed! And all of us had BSL hair. My poor mom and grandma.

We had to sit on a stool in the kitchen until I got too tall and then I had to sit on a hassock (footstool), when I got to tall for that, I had to get a perm.:spinning:

I can't even listen to the opening theme of Star Trek without smelling hot Blue Magic and "burnt" hair.

I was in the BSS a few weeks ago and I noticed the jars of blue (and green) magic. I don't use these products anymore because they gave me such awful acne, but my hair grew WONDERFULLY when my mother pressed my hair.

Thanks for the post!

My hair was longer when I was younger, too. Just how long it was I'll never know because I wasn't allowed to wear my hair down either. That's why I loved wash days so much (every week or so) because then I got to play with my hair and swing it around. But after that it was right back in braids. And, likewise, and soon as I put my hands in my hair and started styling it myself at around 14 it started breaking off.

yes:grin: i do remember the old days.My mom staple was water and luv and dare I say it washed my sister and I hair once a month,twice a month summer months.My hair was below bs length ( close to waist) and little sister hair to her booty.She washed "as needed LOL" she did good but I think I will wash my girls hair every week :)

Takes me back...Mom would only wash my hair 1 x month and my hair was HL!!! My nanny put my hair in 2 buns or two braids and used Vitapointe to tame the edges!

You better know it! My mom would wash and plait my hair and the next day press with ultra sheen or DAX. My hair was long and pretty and once I started doing it, it was down hill from their.

My little girl hair is below brastrap and I give her a semi-relaxer twice a year because I don't want her to lose the thickness. I am the only one who does her hair and I won't let anyone else do it!

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:
til this day if you go to my moms house there is still a big green jar of dax in the bathroom

Wait... yall had long hair from pressing with grease?

Am I confused?:ohwell: Wouldnt that have cooked the hair? Do yall mean putting grease on afterward? My mom would curl my hair then grease my scalp.

But the list does remind me of how I used to wear a ponytail all the time and that helped.

Yep. My mom or grandma would use some Dax Pressing Oil (in the tin can that was green and red) on my hair to press it. My hair was past APL in 1st grade-nearly BSL. Then came the dreaded PCJ relaxer. Broke it clean off and had to have it cut to above SL.:rolleyes: It was Dax to press, and Blue Magic or UltraSheen grease (several colors available) to grease the scalp. Ponytails with knockers and barrettes on the ends. That was the 'do. Hair was washed maybe once or twice a month.

My great grandma had past WL hair and only washed it once every few months! But grandma has past WL hair and has to wash weekly due to psoriasis. The old school methods did work for me then, but I think my hair is "used" to being washed at least every 2 wks or it just gets ridiculously dry. :nono:

I was just thinking about this. In fact, yesterday I bought some pink oil sheen to combat reversion. Products with mineral oil always worked for me before LHCF. I've been slowly going back to a lot of my old products and techniques.

I never ever EVER wore my hair down as a child. It was too thick for anyone to want to deal with.

I also don't remember much about washing...so it didn't happen that often. My mom would get a giant cup, the brush, and a wide tooth comb and that gigantic jar of Blue Grease. She wasn't much of a stylist, so I would usually have some variation of 2-4 french braids and that would stay in for about 3 weeks. No one else could do my hair - my Aunt tried once and I went to school lookin a HAM that day. :nono: :rofl:

I ran away from combing :lachen:

They tried to give me a bang once, but when they let it go it covered most of my face and I couldn't see so that was the end of that. :grin:

I know it was at least MBL though b/c my Mom loved to stretch a section in the back to show people how long it was. I always wished I could put weights on my braids while it dried to it wouldn't shrink up and "hide"

I remember the days :yep: My hair grew a lil too well. Got down to my behind and mama couldnt take all that hair natural, so here comes PCJ pressing comb in a jar... :nono: and there goes my hair up to shoulder

Same story for me I was about 7 or 8. All my aunts and my grandma's were upset with my mom over this. The relaxer took my length but it did nothing to combat my hair's thickness. All the women in my family have crazy thick hair.

When I took over my hair care at 13, it actually got a little better but I could never grow it past APL, which would then get cut by the stylist who insisted my hair needed a "trim".

My hair was never pressed as child, mum was dead set against it, my first blow dry was @ 12 years old! Hence it never crossed my mind to straighten my hair til I was about 14/15. But my hair and scalp was greased with Dax on the regular and shampooed every Sunday after church without fail :) Kept in plaits or canerows, never loose because that out make my hair "cut off". 'Twas chlorine from when I started to go swimming at about age 10 that began to mess up my hair, I had no idea about hair conditioner :lol:

I remember those days. Our hair would be so straight from the pressing comb and so shiny from the grease, not hair oil, grease :laugh: It would look like patent leather. My momma used prell shampoo and ultra sheen :yep:

I still use blue magic. And I aint gonna stop........

Did you say Blue Magic? In elementary school there was a girl I knew who's mother used to use that on her and her sisters' hair. She always had long, thick, shiny hair. It seemed like everytime we went back to school after a break, her hair was longer. She brought me a little portion of it to school one day and told me that it made her hair grow. I think now it comes in two colors (Blue and Green). What memories....My hair didn't grow any longer but then I only used it about three times.:wallbash:

I had a mother who used Dax grease. The green one. I had very long hair as a child and my mother used to relax my hair every 4 weeks. She would relax my entire head and not just the new growth.:rolleyes: My hair was long and thick, too. I am so tempted at times to go back to this method, but I'm scared.:blush::lachen:

Awww,,,,the memories!A comb,brush,Dax and a little water was all my mom used.She used to wash my hair and plait it so it could dry overnight.She greased my scalp with Dax and used a little on each plait.My hair was so healthy and long (between MBL and WL).I SHOULD HAVE NEVER RELAXED MY HAIR IN THE 9TH GRADE!!:nono::nono::wallbash:

I do this now with my dd. We do it every Sunday and it's called "Ladies Day". On Saturdays, I tell her guess what tommorrow is, and she says "Ladies Day"!!. We also polish nails and toes.

I probably love ladies day more than she does:grin:

This is so sweet! It sounds like a blast. Too cute.

This is so sweet! It sounds like a blast. Too cute.

Still going strong! :strong:

She went from neck length to BSL (if she wore a bra yet, lol).

Sometimes I wish I had 2 DD so I could have a head to do during the week.:rolleyes:

It's funny when family members see her now. They'll say "I remember when she didn't have no hair, now you finally got it growing".

It was always growing, I just didn't know how to care for it.

I think she has past everyone else. Not that were in competition, but it feels good that she is no longer the "bald head one".

Still going strong! :strong:

She went from neck length to BSL (if she wore a bra yet, lol).

Sometimes I wish I had 2 DD so I could have a head to do during the week.:rolleyes:

It's funny when family members see her now. They'll say "I remember when she didn't have no hair, now you finally got it growing".

It was always growing, I just didn't know how to care for it.

I think she has past everyone else. Not that were in competition, but it feels good that she is no longer the "bald head one".

That's wonderful news!!!

It is also great that you're introducing her to healthy hair care practices early so that she'll know how to take care of her hair when she gets older.

Back