Growing natural 4b hair

I am new to this board and I really love the concept of it!

I have 4b hair that is about 3"-4" long. My hair grows an average of 1/2" to 3/4".
I really happy at the rate that my hair grows, but I never really get to accumulate length because I always have to cut it.
What can I do keep my hair healthy so I don't have to trim/cut as often?
What products do you use to keep ends from splitting and hair from drying out?
I would like to use a simplied routine (max 2-3 products aside from shampoo conditioner).
Oh yeah, my hair is in braids and I plan on wearing braids fro about a year (3-4 weeks in, 1 week out).

Thanks in advance!

ineedmoney

hey girl, welcome. you will find so much on this site! i'm sorta a
myself. i joind earlyier this month. ne way form what i have learned you gotta have a lot of moisture especially with braids. i'm using curl activator( like right on or s-curl) and nexxus humetress to keep my hair soft and olive oil on my scalp. you should go a search on diffret subjects to see if there has already been some info posted that u need. good luck and happy growing.

Daughter

UK Blak
Welcome!

There are sooo many recommendations, can I ask you what you "hair regimen" is? Then we can make some suggestions to help prevent breakage and so encourage length.

As for products, here's what I use:

SHAMPOO:
Elasta Creme Conditioning shampoo or Kemit Sava'ge Moyst No Soap Shampoo. Both of these don't contain sodium laureth sulfate or ammonium laureth sulfate, which ca be harsh on the hair. Before washing, I use extra virgin olive oil mixed with coconut and jojoba oil as a hot oil treatment.

CONDITIONERS:
I leave any conditioner in for one hour before rinsing. I currently use Kemit Sava'ge Moyst conditioner or Elasta Intense. Once a month or so I've been using LeKair Aloe Vera Cholestorol Treatment, but I'm on the lookout for a deep conditioner or protein conditioner myself.

MOISTURISING:
I've discovered Profective Mega Growth works really well with my hair, Elasta Mango Butter works ok as well.

Most of the products I use are cheap in my area, especially the olive oil!

Hope this helps somewhat, good luck!

By the way, you'll get plenty of helpful info here (I did
) but have you searched any threads on www.nappturality.com ? It's a resource specifically for natural hair.

Take care

I am a member of nappturality.com, but right now I am focusing on hair growth. Sometimes a lot of the topic deal black self esteem and the political side of why we don't need to relax. While nappturality is a great board, I am focused on hair growth and would love to get tips from girls on growing my hair regardless if you are relaxed or natural. Does curl activator work on natural that is not curly, but instead is 4b kinky waves?

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Does curl activator work on natural that is not curly, but instead is 4b kinky waves?

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the board, OE!

I've never had braids but I've used curl activator and water as a daily spritz for moisturizing purposes. From what I remember, the combo was aight, nothing detrimental happened to my hair. I moved on from curl activator to a combo of Walgreen's Glycerin Rosewater and spring or distilled water. I liked the moisturized feel of my hair when I used this combo and I plan on returning to it this summer.

HTH!

Daughter

UK Blak
Sorry, I haven't tried activator as yet, I must pinch some of my mum's!

I think the key is keeping your hair moisturised internally (drinking loads of that H2O!) as well as Scurl and the like. Like you I'm learning and I can say there's a wealth of info on this board!

miss_brown

Just a couple quick things:
- As soon as you take your braids out, you should probably trim your hair as needed and definitely do a deep moisturizing conditioner.
- Check out the thread on conditioner washes and braids; it might be helpful to you.
- Keep your ends moisturized by applying some sort of oil (olive, Hot 6, etc) to them every night and then wrapping your hair in a satin or silk scarf.
- A lot of people do the Crowning Glory (or Crown and Glory - try doing a search for both) technique, which advocates wearing braids for two months, then your hair out for two months, alternating. Look at the Hair Lady's website and she breaks the whole thing down. http://growafrohairlong.com/
- Get on a vitamin regimen. Some ladies do Bargello's or you can just do a good multivitamin and biotin.
- Be consistent and be encouraged. Your hair will grow, just exercise patience. This is by far the best advice I've ever learned on this forum.

Hope this helps

sweetcocoa

I wanted to say welcome. For me I found rinsing my hair daily with distilled water followed by a mixture of a creamy conditioner mixed with a little oil, then Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter does wonders at keeping my dry hair moisturized and helping it grow. I found out the hard way that if I let my natural hair get too dry(not rinsing for 2 days or more) I would start loosing length. If you don't want to immerse your hair...just misting it(daily) till it's wet with a mixture of distilled or purified water and some oil in a mister works wonders.

My regime:

I am currently on the curly girl routine. When my hair is out, I "condition wash" and apply a deep conditioner 2 times per week. I let my hair air dry untill it is about 50% dry and I pick it. I apply slightly melted shea butter on my hair and scalp. I divide my hair into 4 sections and then do about 4-6 plaits in each section. Then I put on a plastic cap and sit under my hooded dryer. When I go out I usually wear my hair covered in a head wrap. Ocassionally I wear cornrows or twists which I usually keep in for about a week.

Since I have had braids in I conditioned washed my hair twice and oiled my scalp with shea butter. I am finding the "oil" is losening my braids. I have only had my braids in for about 1.5 weeks and see myself having to take my braids about a week. I definietly plan on deep conditioning my hair and getting a trim. I will definitely try to find out more about the crowing glory technique.

Thanks, OE

ngaa

hey organicevolution welcome to the board! sorry i'm a late relpyer but i aint been on in a abit...jus had to post coz yo hair seems to be the same length as mine and i too am a natural...my regiment is as follows

shampoo wit CON once a month and do the no poo method once a week wen out of braids and once a fortnite wen in braids. I'm currently wearin braids for 6 weeks and takin them out for a week and goin back into braids.

i deep condition usin the D & L cholesterol and then air dry usin some s curl activator (in blue bottle) i only protein condition once a month coz my hair dont seem to lik protein very much

wen in braids i apply activator three times a week and wash it usin no poo method once in 2 weeks. i always sleep in a satin bonnet and my vits r in my signature and am hopin to get more than 3/4 growth per month and hoep to be able to tie hair in bun by christmas

happy hair growin!!

Peachi

I have heard about the glycerin water mixture as a great moisturizer but I have never tried it. At CVS, do they sell the rosewater glycerin as a mixture or do I buy separately and mix?
I already have glycerin from duane reade. I will stop by my CVS today and see what they have.

I would try to buy the Elasta Mango leave in, but I am a product junkie and right I am trying to finish all the junk I have in my room.

sweetpea5000

How do y'all comb your hair when it natural? I've read different things and I'm not sure how to do it--wet or dry?I try to do it dry cause i thought that was the right thing to do, but it gets so knotted when it dries that i feel like i'm ripping it out. Also I can't seem to find a good way of moisturizing, my hair just get greasy and it isn't really absorbing any moisture! It's driving me crazy! I've been using Keracare creme hairdress ,coconut oil and an olive oil spray. But how can I stop it from breaking and shedding?

natasha

[ QUOTE ]
sweetpea5000 said:
How do y'all comb your hair when it natural? I've read different things and I'm not sure how to do it--wet or dry?I try to do it dry cause i thought that was the right thing to do, but it gets so knotted when it dries that i feel like i'm ripping it out. Also I can't seem to find a good way of moisturizing, my hair just get greasy and it isn't really absorbing any moisture! It's driving me crazy! I've been using Keracare creme hairdress ,coconut oil and an olive oil spray. But how can I stop it from breaking and shedding?

[/ QUOTE ]
You know I am in the process of transitioning and I have been doing lots of research recently. I really encourage you to fo to nappturality.com and chack out the regimens and journal on the women of the web board. They are an absolute encyclopedia of information
. There are so many different hair types and various lengths that you are bound to find a sister with hair similar to yours! These ladies are very nice and can give you valuable information on different hair care techniques and great products.

HTH

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
sweetpea5000 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Never detangle while dry!
It's much, much easier and less damaging to detangle wet hair.

I comb my hair while it's soaking, dripping wet with water and conditioner.

A mix of Suave Tropical Coconut (for smell and general conditioning), Herbal Essence Intensive Blends Conditioning Balm (for super softness) and Pantene Hydrating Curls (super detangling for the ends) does the trick for me. My w i d e tooth, seamless comb helps detangle and my Jilbere Shower Comb from Sally's helps to distribute the conditioner mix.

To keep my hair moisturized, I combine a conditioner (anything but Pantene) and water into my spray bottle and I mist my hair throughout the day as needed.

It sounds like you're trying to moisturize with oils (coconut oil, olive oil). Water based products would be better suited as moisturizers and could probably alleviate much of the breaking you're experiencing.

I can't help you with the shedding, though. I'm battling that myself.

bellydancer

[ QUOTE ]
organicevolution said:
I am a member of nappturality.com, but right now I am focusing on hair growth. Sometimes a lot of the topic deal black self esteem and the political side of why we don't need to relax. While nappturality is a great board, I am focused on hair growth and would love to get tips from girls on growing my hair regardless if you are relaxed or natural. Does curl activator work on natural that is not curly, but instead is 4b kinky waves?

[/ QUOTE ] I used to be a member of that site and I left because of that reason as well as other reasons. Comparing the two sites, this site has by FAR much more information than napturality. My hair stayed at one length until I found new information here.

CocoaButterflyy

[ QUOTE ]
sweetpea5000 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I always do it wet in the shower with conditioner. Combing dry hair can be painful and disasterous

chewy

You've received excellent primo advice and I want to reiterate combing your hair when wet and conditioning the hair when it's in braids. (Especially the ends) I learned the hard way last year and didn't condition the ends while my hair was braided and they broke off like old newspaper. Good luck and happy hair growing!

coilygirl

Hi:

Great thread.

My hair is close to bra strap and is very, very coily.
I second most of the great advice you received.
Here is my routine:

1.I wear braids (no extensions) or occassionally twists (not often)

2. I condition wash daily or rinse. Very important for retaining length. (once a month I take the braids or twists out and do a full shampoo wash with a very, very gentle diluted shampoo.) Otherwise, my hair hates shampoo.

3. When I do the full shampoo with loose hair: a)I wash my hair in sections and b) when it's wet I wrap individual sections in scruncies or make fat twists. This minimizes tangles, and makes it easier to twist or braid the hair.
(by the way Nappturality has a great section on hair banding 101 in its hair workshop section. Basicially, you can use scrunci's or other gentle fabrices to wrap and stretch the hair until it's dry. On LHCF: i think it's called the pony tail drying method.)
c)I use a denman brush to detangle my wet hair. I never, ever, ever comb or brush dry hair.

d) I rarely use a towel to dry my hair. In the shower I shake my head up and down (bending from the waist) to remove excess moisture. I apply nexxus Headress to my dripping wet hair, a little jojoba (spelling?) oil or olive oil and then I wrap a silk scarf around either my braids or banded hair.

I could go on, but that's enough for now.
Hope that helps.

Coilygirl

Daughter

UK Blak
Coilygirl,

When you condition wash with your hair in braids, do you ever get build up? I wouldn't mind rinsing my hair more often but I usually wear twists and am concerned about buildup and my hair feeling dry after.

coilygirl

Hey Daughter:

I get some buildup from condition washes and that's when I rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar or with lemon juice to remove buildup.

also on alternating days, I rinse my entire head but only place conditioner on the ends.

take care,
coilygirl

Daughter

UK Blak
Thanks, I keep meaning to try the ACV thing but never get around to it, though I hear it'll help with my scalp issues. I need to go get some more leave in

coilygirl

Daughter:

Your album is great. Your hair looks wonderful. (pretty, full, coily, long and healthy)

take care,
coilygirl

Nay

Girl, you've got some hair on you!! You are going to reach your goal in no time.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Daughter said:
I only comb/brush my hair when it's wet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question: How is the hair maintained if it's not combed or brushed when dry? Do you finger comb it and just wear it out in afro most of the time? In the past, I always detangled my wet hair part it and braid or "plait" it and allow it to dry over night..the next day I would remove the braids, comb out (I have had no problems with combing the dry hair since it was already detangled before I let it dry)and press my hair. Is that the wrong thing do to?

Nay

No, Natori24:

What you are doing is a great way to treat your hair. That's the same thing I do when I wear my hair pressed.

When everybody says only to comb/brush hair when "wet," they are talking about not trying to comb your hair when it is tangled. Washing your hair, conditioning it, and then detangling it while wet is STEP ONE. What you do AFTER it is already detangled and dried is up to you.

But we all know how awful it can be to, for example, wash one's hair and then just go to sleep on it and try to comb it dry the next day (after it is all tangled). People just try to stress that it is easier and less damaging to DETANGLE hair when it is wet and conditioned!