Growing natural 4b hair

Daughter

UK Blak
thanks girl
it's only recently (since joining hair boards) that the condition has improved.

Valerie

Organicevolution
Welcome to the board, the ladies here advice is good.
Also you could make hair herbal rinses, such as rosemary, nettle, horsetail. Put a teaspoon of each herb into a large cup and pour boiled distilled water, to fill up the cup. Allow to infuse for 5-30 minutes, until the tea is cool. You can use it as a rinse or if you mix with a little glycerin, rosewater and olive and castor oil, you mix your hair with this daily. Your hair would really grow very well.

@Coilygirl and Sweetcocoa, I also have found out that if I don't rinse everyday. I lose length also and thickness as well. I am glad you Ladies mentioned that, I thought I was the only one who experienced this.

Daughter

UK Blak
Nay answered it! I wear my hair in twists most of the time anyway so by default I only brush once or twice a week. I do want my scalp to be better so I can leave my twists for about a month and rinse/conditioner wash in that time.

Valerie

Daughter, your hair is Wow! according to my grannie "Girl you have big hair", it is very thick and lush. You will reach your hair goal very very soon.

hotshot

this thread is just what i needed- im getting discouraged about breakage and my hard water. thanks ya'll!

Daughter

UK Blak
Thanks Valerie - I see you're a fellow Londoner! I hope you're right about my goal, it's taken a long time to even get here! Take care.

coilygirl

Hi Valerie:

It's nice to meet another daily rinser.
My hair and scalp love it!

By the way, thanks for your recipes for "hair teas." Awhile ago, I purchashed a lot of herbs (nettles, rosemary, etc.) but I missplaced the recipes.
Take care,
coilygirl

Aubergold

are daily rinsings/co washing too much manipulation? I feel like it makes my hair break more b/c of all handling. but then again I need the moisture.

hopeful

RavenIvygurl said:
are daily rinsings/co washing too much manipulation? I feel like it makes my hair break more b/c of all handling. but then again I need the moisture.

I think so. It's like the hair doesn't get time to recover. I'm finding my hair prefers every two or three days, you know 2 to 3 washings a week, but not 7!

Aubergold

hopeful said:
I think so. It's like the hair doesn't get time to recover. I'm finding my hair prefers every two or three days, you know 2 to 3 washings a week, but not 7!

gotcha!

my hair doesn't liked to be breathed on, much less touched everyday.

Incredible1ne

hopeful said:

I'm going to try co-washing 2x a week and then my regular shampoo and deep condition. I was doing it every day but it was like it was causing more problems than benefits.

Cheleigh

RavenIvygurl said:

If you feel like daily washes/rinses are too much manipulation for your hair (mine is fine with it), then maybe try moisturizing at night. You might like to do a moisturing water based spritz (no manipulation) and then add a creamy or heavy moisturizer on top to seal if you can touch your hair. Wrap in your silk/satin scarf and/or plastic cap and sleep.

Country gal

organicevolution said:
I am new to this board and I really love the concept of it!

I have 4b hair that is about 3"-4" long. My hair grows an average of 1/2" to 3/4".
I really happy at the rate that my hair grows, but I never really get to accumulate length because I always have to cut it.
What can I do keep my hair healthy so I don't have to trim/cut as often?
What products do you use to keep ends from splitting and hair from drying out?
I would like to use a simplied routine (max 2-3 products aside from shampoo conditioner).
Oh yeah, my hair is in braids and I plan on wearing braids fro about a year (3-4 weeks in, 1 week out).

Thanks in advance!

How are you wearing your hair on a regular basis? I find wearing twists are a great way to stop my hair from having breakage. I also frequently wash my hair and keep it moisturized.

Kinky4Agirl

[ QUOTE ]
Daughter said:
I only comb/brush my hair when it's wet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question: How is the hair maintained if it's not combed or brushed when dry? Do you finger comb it and just wear it out in afro most of the time? In the past, I always detangled my wet hair part it and braid or "plait" it and allow it to dry over night..the next day I would remove the braids, comb out (I have had no problems with combing the dry hair since it was already detangled before I let it dry)and press my hair. Is that the wrong thing do to?
I am new to this board and I really love the concept of it!

I have 4b hair that is about 3"-4" long. My hair grows an average of 1/2" to 3/4".
I really happy at the rate that my hair grows, but I never really get to accumulate length because I always have to cut it.
What can I do keep my hair healthy so I don't have to trim/cut as often?
What products do you use to keep ends from splitting and hair from drying out?
I would like to use a simplied routine (max 2-3 products aside from shampoo conditioner).
Oh yeah, my hair is in braids and I plan on wearing braids fro about a year (3-4 weeks in, 1 week out).

Thanks in advance!
Keep it simple is the best advice I can give. Do not over process your hair or use too many products.