Growing out nape area suggestions?

sexyeyes3616

My nape is so much shorter than the rest of my hair. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do?

For example when I wear a high pony my nape always ends up sticking out no matter how much I gel it because it is short.

MonaRae

Braid it up and hide it! There are many success stories with this method. I am currently doing this myself and my half wig hides the braids.

Nonie

Or wear a weave that matches your hair on the back part of your hair. I know quite a number of people who do that.

PGirl

If you are relaxed you should do a good long stretch. As long as you can stand it without breaking your hair off. The texture at the nape is probably different from the rest of your hair. I have never stretched more than 14 weeks but even that really helped my nape. If you can go longer then maybe you could try that and moisturize your nape especially often.

sexyeyes3616

If you are relaxed you should do a good long stretch. As long as you can stand it without breaking your hair off. The texture at the nape is probably different from the rest of your hair. I have never stretched more than 14 weeks but even that really helped my nape. If you can go longer then maybe you could try that and moisturize your nape especially often.

Hi :wave: thanks for posting. I do stretch my relaxers I had been stretching them every 12 weeks, but I have come to find out I can't stretch that long because around the 11th-12th week and probably the 10th week my hair starts shedding like crazy. So I dont think my hair can take long stretches. However this time, the time between my last relaxer and the next one will end up being 10 weeks. So I hope my hair doesn't start shedding like crazy when I am 10 weeks post.

mamauv2

I've always had the same problem. Now that I'm natural, I realize the difference in texture in my nape. It's very fine and the rest of my hair isn't. I now see I have to baby it when I always just thought it wouldn't grow.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Your nape is usually the finest part of your hair. Most people think it's the most coarse, but that's just because of years of overprocessing it. A lot of people relax their nape first. When you relax, relax your nape last. If you can, relax your nape every OTHER relaxer.

I grew my nape from keeping it ultra moisturized. On wash days, instead of a leave in, I'll use a regular dc on my nape sealed with JBCO. Castor oil is a humectant and attracts moisture to hair, that plus the deep conditioner is really moisturizing :yep: Every day when I moisturize on dry hair, I saturate my nape with moisturizer. After two or so months of this, my nape was no longer Sahara Desert dry. And it's actually grown a little past SL! (before it was NL)

sexyeyes3616

Your nape is usually the finest part of your hair. Most people think it's the most coarse, but that's just because of years of overprocessing it. A lot of people relax their nape first. When you relax, relax your nape last. If you can, relax your nape every OTHER relaxer.

This is spot on tiffers. :yep:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Thanks Tiffers that is some good advice. One side of my nape just broke off and looks crazy. I will be using some of your tips that you gave....

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

me too, ^^

thanks tiffers, ^^^

my left side is also 2 inches shorter than my right...what tha heck is that about?

great advice ladies

jamaicalovely

I agree with the previous posts....braid it up, hide under wig/weave, and saturate with moisture. I've been using Hydratherma Naturals Daily Growth Lotion and my nape craves it. I use a dab of MT on my nape as well.

ToyToy

me too, ^^

thanks tiffers, ^^^

my left side is also 2 inches shorter than my right...what tha heck is that about?

great advice ladies

Mine is just the other round :lachen:! When I was relaxed, I used to have my sides cut even, only for my left side to end being longer again.

Concerning the nape area, mine used to be be really short as well until I went natural. Now the hair at my nape is the longest. I think Tiffers is spot on. The hair on my nape area is really, really fine, so I can see why it would break off from over-processing, especially as I also bleached and dyed my hair.