Gym and Relaxed hair...How do you do it?

la flaca

HI all:

I'm working out everyday and I am planning o retouch my hair after six month:eek: this weekend but have no idea how to care for my hair after it's relaxed.
How do you take care of your relaxed hair?:confused:

Thanks,
La flaca

Glib Gurl

I find that pulling my hair up (in a ponytail or bun) helps -- even though I get sweaty, at least the sweat doesn't drip all down and just "sit" in my hair. By keeping it up, most of the sweat stays at the roots.

Sweatbands help sometimes, too -- they keep the edges back.

FunkyDiva

Yeah...starting on Thursday me and my best friend are going to start working out 2x a week before class and I plan on pulling my hair up and tying a silk/satin headband around the edges.

CAPlush

I believe kbragg works out daily and has a regimen to keep her relaxed hair healthy and growing. Hopefully she will chime in. I am a walker so I rarely sweat so much my hair gets wet, but it seems like the only solution would be to co-wash after every workout.

ohsosuzy

Well I'm not going to say that its always easy, but for me it depends on how I'm styling my hair. If I'm wearing it straight I just keep it wrapped. If I sweat I just wait for my hair to dry and when I unwrap it it looks great. When I wear it curly I have some issues because the curls tend to fall after I take them down (I usually pin it up during the workout) But on those days I try to work out in the evening so that it doesn't matter anymore and I can always set my hair when I get home :)

preciousjewel76

I pin it up or wear a ponytail. Depending on how much I sweat that particular workout, I sometimes tie a cotton (oh NO!:lol: ) bandanna around my hairline. I always make sure to rinse my hairline & nape with water after a strenuous workout. I tend to sweat there the most. If it gets really bad, I'll just go ahead and wash.

la flaca

CAPlush said:
I believe kbragg works out daily and has a regimen to keep her relaxed hair healthy and growing. Hopefully she will chime in. I am a walker so I rarely sweat so much my hair gets wet, but it seems like the only solution would be to co-wash after every workout.

:eek: Can I co wash my hair every day?
It's that good or save for fresh-relaxed hair:confused: I kindda like it:perplexed

gymfreak336

Co-washing can help. Another thing to do is clip your hair up or put in in a ponytail. That way your ends don't get wet with sweat. As far as keeping your edges smooth, If I sweat alot and don't feel like washing, I will take a wet wash cloth and smooth it over my hair line to semi-clean it and smooth it at the same time. Then I brush on either some elasta qp glaze or leave in condition and wrap a strip of satin around my hair line. I will pin it in place and then put a cotton head band over it and let it dry.

Another thing I do if I don't feel like washing is after I work out, I sill split my hair up in four sections and to a little pin curl in each one. That way my hair will dry fast without weighing down my whole head.

CAPlush

la flaca said:
:eek: Can I co wash my hair every day?
It's that good or save for fresh-relaxed hair:confused: I kindda like it:perplexed

I think it is safe for hair that is otherwise in good condition and has the proper protein balance even if it's relaxed. I personally don't do it, so I can't vouch for it, but there are others on this forum who do it.:)

pmichael52172

Although I find myself watching exercise videos more than doing them (LOL) I do agree that loosely pinning up or putting clip in my hairstyles helped. What really helps with the edges and sweating on my face is the cotton bandana that "preciousjewel" mentioned.

Arcadian

I always bun my hair for the gym. Since I jump in the shower after the gym anyway, I also rinse my hair after working out. (I guess you can call it a co-wash if you want) I use a thin acidifying conditioner when I rinse, then put it back up in a bun.

-A

myco

What I've been doing is rinsing my hair after each evening workout. When I get out of the shower, I slather conditioner all over my wet hair, pin it up, and and leave it alone. The next morning, after I finish my workout, I rinse the conditioner out. I apply my leave-in conditioner and serum and let it airdry in a bun.

Saturday morning after I workout: shampoo, deep condition, and rollerset since that is the only time that I really care about wearing my hair out. Sunday is my off day, so I don't have to worry about sweating.

Determined22

Since I've started my workouts, I've been doing a lot of buns and wearing my falls a lot more. When I'm in the gym I wear a ponytail.

sunshinebeautiful

When I was working out on the regular I would cowash after every workout and wash-n-go or wear my halfwig. I tend to sweat a lot and I cannot stand having sweat in my hair.

bablou00

I work out before work so there is no washing my hair before then. I usually just wear my hair up in a pony or a bun and keep it that way until after work then I might wash or wait after one more workout and wash then. I dont go more then two days w/o washing my hair when I work out since I sweat sooosososoooo much. When I was around 3-4mos post my hair was looking wild but I would just try to smooth the edges down as much as I could w/ a boar bristle brush or wear my hair in two plaits. Hope that helps.

Divine Inspiration

I work out every other day. I put my hair in a bun and wear a scarf over it when I workout. This keeps my hair from getting frizzy and unruly. I leave the scarf on for an hour or so after the workout and it keeps my hair nice and flat. Right now, I'm about 15 months post relaxer so the scarf method is very effective.

bablou00

I need to try the scarf method when I work out. I just sweat so much I am afraid having something on my head will make me more hot. Do you just keep the scarf on when u go home and let it dry that way. I see a lot of ladies at the gym w/ scarfs on but I never tried it due to sweating :eek:

Divine Inspiration said:
I work out every other day. I put my hair in a bun and wear a scarf over it when I workout. This keeps my hair from getting frizzy and unruly. I leave the scarf on for an hour or so after the workout and it keeps my hair nice and flat. Right now, I'm about 15 months post relaxer so the scarf method is very effective.

preciousjewel76

bablou00 said:
I need to try the scarf method when I work out. I just sweat so much I am afraid having something on my head will make me more hot. Do you just keep the scarf on when u go home and let it dry that way. I see a lot of ladies at the gym w/ scarfs on but I never tried it due to sweating :eek:

I can do it with a cotton scarf, but not a satin/silk one. Those don't "breathe" enough for me. Only thing is, if I leave the cotton one on too long, it can dry my hair out.

winterinatl

All natural!
When I was in the gym and sweating heavily 5-6 days a week I would CO wash at least 3 times a week, with a shampoo. I did a lot of wash and go ponys, wet fench twists and buns. I also used hair sticks, and did Princess Leigha buns. I found my hair dried quicker in the braided pigtails. I work out in the morning, work the style during the day, and would often let it down in the evening to go ahead and dry out.

The next morning's workout would probably not be as intense as the last, so I might or might not rinse/wash again.

My hair grew well during this period.

Divine Inspiration

bablou00 said:

I sweat in my head a lot too. That's why I had to start using scarves...my hair would be dry, frizzy, and tangled without the scarf on. I put a dollop or two through my hair (scalp + length) then I put the scarf over it and go. When I get home, I shower, get dressed, and take the scarf off last. My hair is usually dry by then, but if it's not, I just leave it in a bun and let it finished drying. When I do it this way, my hair is tamed and presentable, and I don't have to spend time "styling" it to get it to look decent.

bablou00

Thanks I going to have to give this a try when Im stretching. I hope that will help me tame my NG a little bit.

Divine Inspiration said:
I sweat in my head a lot too. That's why I had to start using scarves...my hair would be dry, frizzy, and tangled without the scarf on. I put a dollop or two through my hair (scalp + length) then I put the scarf over it and go. When I get home, I shower, get dressed, and take the scarf off last. My hair is usually dry by then, but if it's not, I just leave it in a bun and let it finished drying. When I do it this way, my hair is tamed and presentable, and I don't have to spend time "styling" it to get it to look decent.

loved

Bumping this thread for more responses, but I think that I will try the scarf method this week. I will pin each side away from the back middle part because it takes longer for my hair to dry in the back.

Lady Esquire

Bumping this thread for more responses, but I think that I will try the scarf method this week. I will pin each side away from the back middle part because it takes longer for my hair to dry in the back.

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread. I have another 4 weeks until I start my "lose the baby weight" work out program. And hopefully I get some good tips here.

KBA

I tie a cotton scarf around my head. before I put on the scarf I put half a dime size of oil on my edges, tie them down with the cotton scarf. After I'm done working out I untie the scarf and my edges are flat and soft. The rest of my hair I wear in a pony tail. If I have a curly roller set, I just do the same except pin the curls down...

I wash my hair 1 or 2 times a wk..and wet set it.

MA2010

I'm in the Army so work outs are almost daily for me :ohwell:!

I usually work out 4-5 times per week. My hair is always in a high ponytail bun (which really doesn't matter because I sweat throughout my hair always when working out).

My hair is usally drenched after a cardio session so I try and co-wash after each workout.

If my hair is not that saturated I can wait a day then co-wash with the next workout!

It's challenging for me because I sweat like crazy! Co washes help a lot but I def. eyeball people next to me on the treadmill who are dry as a bone...lol:wallbash:!!!!

Butterfly08

:yep: CWing, buns and silk scarf around the edges. :yep: On off days, rollersets.

pink gator

Awesome topic, cuz I'm getting relaxed this Tuesday after six months, too!

I'll end up with a short bob cut. What do y'all recommend for short hair? Wraps? Co-washes?