Hair Albums and Hair Typing: Is it really neccesary?

Psi77

I remember reading Adrienne's posts on S-curl. I decided to give it a go because I was a similar hair type to her (4a/b). Well this worked wonders for me and since then I have never used a relaxer this was nearly 2 years ago. As a natural I openly seek hair care suggestions from all regimes. By the way Surge did nothing for me and I now buy my S-curl wholesale although it took me over a year to source it.

sunnyjohn

I don't own a digital camera so I don't have an album. I am a little nervous about putting my pics out in cyberspace 'cause folks are crazy these days.

I enjoy looking at albums, but I will take advice from any member whose been on the boards a while and gotten good results with a product or technique. I usually let others jump on the bandwagon and wait for them to post the results! It saves me lots of money! :D

Holy Ghost grease? Did they lay hands on it in church? :lachen:

Last edited:

silvergirl

i dont follow product trends , however i love a good hair album to keep me motivated. i have my own because i can track my progress and it keeps me going.

*Frisky*

SummerRain said:
although i dont have an album together just yet, nor have i figured out my hair type - for me, both would be important only in being able to track my progress & have an idea of what may work best for my hair.

as for types&albums of others....i LOVE when people have months & years worth of pictures, not that i need proof - but inspiration, if you will. for some, the struggle to obtain healthy hair, and reach their goals is a difficult one. its wonderful to look at someone elses journey and know that anythings possible.

but as an aside...there are a lot of perps & frauds on the net. granted, it won't cause me to lose sleep, but i'd be devasted to find out that my very favorite online personality was a total scam.

Has this occured alot on LHCF? It seems alot of people on here are very skeptical of certain things and need a pic to validate what a person might be saying to be the truth.

Last edited:

KhandiB

IMPO - It helps with motivation.. to see how your hair can end up taking care of it and also people using you as inspiration.

melodee

Luv you, CG. You tell it like it is and ask the thought provoking ?'s that I forget to ask.

Mel's hair album thoughts::)
I was thinking about this as well. I think albums are a wonderful way of sharing your journey, progress, regression, inspiration, frustrations.....
Some people love to take pictures and it is reflected in their albums. I, on the other hand, am not a picture taker, even for other events in my life; therefore, my album hardly ever gets updated. But I think an album is important for me, so that I know where I've been and where I'm going.

I don't think everyone should have to have an album. There are many reasons why people don't. Some don't for religious purposes. Some are camera shy. Some are concerned with privacy. And some are just not into posting pics. I think some people have something to hide--meaning that they talk about their hair being long and whatever and things may not be exactly as they've described it. Oh well, it's their choice.

I also think that albums make one more familiar to others, and often more popular. Usually, the ones with the more extensive albums are most well known and praised. This is okay, it's normal, it's life.

We should make sure we try to post pics to share, but not to impress. Don't worry if your hair isn't super long or super thick. There are alot of "encouragers" here. Alot of us are album stalkers. I love looking at my sister's pics and getting excited about their progress. But I don't stalk, as it is unhealthy for me.

melodee

Mel's Hair typing rant:

I really don't believe in most hair typing. Obviously, we all have different types and textures of hair. And there are far too many variations to be put in a category. Many of us have different textures on one head, coily and curly, curly and wavy,wavy and straight, tight and loose, fine and coarse, peas and lima beans:D ...

I understand about typing for the purpose of finding out what techniques and or products work in the hair. But there is, as Country mentioned, not One hard fast rule. My home is full of people of diff hair types, but we all for the most part can use some of the same products on our hair. My white Nordic girlfriend uses Pantene R and N.

For the purpose of the net, since we can't all sit in a room together and view each other's hair, I understand we have to describe it in order to know what each other is talking about. But even so, I've known a few "type 4bs" claiming to be "3a" and vice versa.

So I don't use Andre's or some other classifications. Our hair is as individual as ourselves, like snowflakes.

It all boils down to knowing and loving our own hair. After all, it has to sit on our heads all day long, so we better love it.

SilkyandSmooth

IMO, hair albums aren't necessary, although I do like looking at them. I have an album that I don't update on a regular basis, so it's really a waste of space. I have never been interested in taking pictures of my hair. It's whatever. Also, I don't like the idea of having my pictures on the 'net. I don't trust the 'net at all. Very few LHCF members have seen my transitioning pics.

As for the hair typing thing, I don't think it's necessary either. What works for one 4A might not work for the next 4A.

dlewis

No, I don't think it's neccessary but I love looking in them. Some people don't have hair albums and that's fine with me. Some folks don't feel comfy post on the internet. I would love to post my daughter's hair pictures because it's so beautiful but the hubby doesn't feel right about it. :ohwell:

Cichelle

Hair Albums: necessary? no, but they are great for inspiration. I love looking at hair albums! They are important, IMO, if you are making claims about miracle products. Though, photoshop has many abilities.

Hair Typing: also not necessary, but I have found it to be helpful when looking for products and learning how to care for my hair.

Victorian

old head
There is nothing necessary about an internet messageboard about haircare :lol: But once you become part of it it starts to feel that way :yep: I can't imagine the board without ANY hair pictures. Half the fun of being on a haircare journey with others is watching the progress. And of course there are all the styles and how-to's and stuff. I wouldn't say that I'm automatically more inclined to listen or not listen to someone's advice based on whether or not they have an album.

I think people expect too much from the hair typing system, then write it off as bunk when it doesn't provide all the answers they thought it would. People also tend to make it more complicated than it is. It is a way to describe hair textures. It involves ranges of wave/curl pattern sizes. There may be characteristics that are common in hair with a certain texture, but they aren't universal and you shouldn't get confused about hair type based on one of these secondary characteristics like dryness or how tangle-prone your hair is. I think the texture of your hair has less to do with what products will work for you and more to do with how you handle your hair. Hair typing can be useful for those who don't have pictures and want to give a quick general description of their hair.

sareca

PerfectDoak said:
I don't think hair albums are 'necessary', but useful, fun and inspirational.

As for hair typing... while a lot of hair tips can be applied to any hair type, some methods may only work for specific ones. For example, detangling 2a and 4a hair is probably quite a different process. But as for products, I don't think two people having the same hair type will guarantee it working for both of them, as there are so many other factors: hair condition, chemically treated or not, water type, type of environment, hair thickness, porosity etc.

My sentiments exactly.

honeycomb719

Good thread. I think they are necessary for imspiration and helps keep track for the owner. Not necessary to prove any points to anyone tho. As for hair types, I do acknowledge those with hair types similar/same to mine when taking advice for CERTAIN things, but not as a given.

leleepop

I think hair albums are beautiful ways for us to show our progress to ourslves and to others. I think they are necessary esp. in the beginning of a haircare journey. I feel when you a just starting your journey there is a certain amount of deprogramming you have to go through in order to totally CHANGE your whole concept on this hair thing. Once you realize the benefits, than it may not be necessary to veiw, but just inspiring to keep going at certain down times in the transition to healthy hair. Just an opinion:)

Ayeshia

all I know is that I cant stand when people claim 3-4 inches of growth in a months time and then get mad when people ask for pics...lol.

Hair typing: Not necessary
Albums?: Not necessary but helpful :yep:

Arcadian

I personally don't have an album but I do enjoy looking at others. it can be very inspirational to see, and there's been a few people that I check out all the time (I ain't saying who either:lol: )

I think if the advice is sound then sure, why not? I'll do the research to see what its about. As long as I don't have to circle three times around my house naked during a full moon, and slap "monkey ball sweat" on my head its all good:lol: . (thank you Miz Tami..I'll never forget that term:lachen: )

So things that totally interest me, I do th research on and not just rely on heresay because even though someone has used a product and it worked for them, thats not to say it would work for me.

So I encourage anyone to do a bit o research on products before actually trying them out.

ETA: no idea what my hair type is. its a 4-something I think.

-A

caligirl

Countrygal,

I saw that comment too and it kind of hurt my feelings. It was like don't talk to us if you don't have pics. Even though I never take pictures in real life and I don't even own a camera, I had my mom take pics with her cell phone so I could put my two little pics up.

Country gal

melodee said:
Luv you, CG. You tell it like it is and ask the thought provoking ?'s that I forget to ask.

Mel's hair album thoughts::)
I was thinking about this as well. I think albums are a wonderful way of sharing your journey, progress, regression, inspiration, frustrations.....
Some people love to take pictures and it is reflected in their albums. I, on the other hand, am not a picture taker, even for other events in my life; therefore, my album hardly ever gets updated. But I think an album is important for me, so that I know where I've been and where I'm going.

I don't think everyone should have to have an album. There are many reasons why people don't. Some don't for religious purposes. Some are camera shy. Some are concerned with privacy. And some are just not into posting pics. I think some people have something to hide--meaning that they talk about their hair being long and whatever and things may not be exactly as they've described it. Oh well, it's their choice.

I also think that albums make one more familiar to others, and often more popular. Usually, the ones with the more extensive albums are most well known and praised. This is okay, it's normal, it's life.

We should make sure we try to post pics to share, but not to impress. Don't worry if your hair isn't super long or super thick. There are alot of "encouragers" here. Alot of us are album stalkers. I love looking at my sister's pics and getting excited about their progress. But I don't stalk, as it is unhealthy for me.

:kiss: :kiss: right back at ya.:)

Mom23

I agree with alot of what has already been said. Albums are not necessary but nice to look at. I started my own album to chart my progress and encourage myself because seeing my own hair everyday might makes me feel like it's not growing, but when I can look at some pics, I notice a difference. Some of us are just starting out and maybe next year we can be an encouragement to someone else. :)

Country gal

Hey, Ayeshia::wave:

I haven't seen you around in a while. Your hair has really grown. I love the color it is so pretty. :) What color is it? Did you go to a salon to get it done?