Hair anorexia... do you have it?

LadyPaniolo

I think I do.... I'm at BSL now but my hair just seems so short to me... I get really down and depressed about it sometimes. DH tells me that my hair is long, but I just don't feel that it is. I was looking at my hair thinking that I'll probably hit waist length in six months or so, but thinking that waist length isn't really that long anyway! :spinning:

Do you have hair anorexia? What helps you feel better about your length?

godzooki

I do...Sometimes I take pics of my hair and when I see the pic I'm like:ohwell: "That ain't my hair. It's the camera angle or the light hitting it funny." Sometimes I'll take pics with my measuring shirt and see where the hair hits in the pic but when I take the shirt off and see the same line I'm in denial that my hair is anywhere near it.

Patricia

I think I may be guilty. I once wanted waistlength but I already know when I make it I will keep on growing longer

Simply_Kelz

Sure do. When I was scrapin SL, I thought APL would be so long .. now I'm like .. pshh, full BSL is long.

What helps it? Putting it away in buns and then taking it down for a big reveal with more length. But that only lasts for a day.

SEMO

I feel that way when my hair is curly (which is 98% of the time). Because shrinkage really shortens my hair and the amount of shrinkage can vary from day to day. Sometimes it feels like my hair isn't growing at all. That's why I keep a fotki, to remind myself that it is. :)

Neith

I definitely have it. My hair is not growing out nicely like I see other people's. It's growing in uneven and at a snail's pace.

but to all y'all with bsl and longer healthy hair, sometimes you just need a slap :fishslap: to realize that even though your hair is not at your ankles, you have a nice length and your hair is not short by any stretch of the imagination.

It's understandable, we all get insecure sometimes, but it's good to be able to shake it off too :yep:

that_1_grrrl

I kinda do. My hair is actually short, but I'm having hair anorexia by thinking that my hair isn't growing. That's why I'm putting it in braids for the next 6 weeks.

lilsparkle825

as much as i used to roll my eyes at people who had it...i think i am getting it. i was scraping APL before i trimmed my hair today...and it felt so SHORT after about 5 minutes of having it down. i always talked about how grateful i would be once i hit APL and now im not so sure. also, i usually wear it curly like someone else said so seeing NL curls makes me feel extremely self conscious most of the time...i usually stretch a few of my curls throughout the day and feel a bit better though.

truequeen06

I know people hate when others who are beyond bsl have hair anorexia, but when you've been at the same dang length for half your life, it get's pretty frustrating. Especially since I'm a slow grower and keep getting all these splits, and my ends are thin. Plus with all the healthy hair on the board, that can make one feel their hair isn't doing much to compared to others.

Last edited:

NYAmicas

Seeker
I do have it, sometimes I'll see a female with SL hair and get jealous while my hair is BSL. I had a setback recently though so Im trying not to pay attention to the length and only the health of my hair.

asubeauty

I know I have it. People tell me how much my hair has grown all the time, and I'm always like, "Really? I haven't noticed that much growth." :perplexed

Vinyl

I keep thinking my hair is the same length no matter what. I looked at my last progress photo and it looked a lot longer, but my beautician cut it and my press looked APL. So I dunno. It's hard to believe my hair has grown any. I can't wait to take my next shot.

vestaluv1

No doubt...I have it. :nono:
But to be honest I think I am allowed to because I'm APL :cry:.
If anything, I would say my hair was short/med and I think when I reach BSL I may be able to finally say my hair is med/long.

Maybe if my hair was thicker, I would't be so bothered :ohwell:.

SEMO

No doubt...I have it. :nono:
But to be honest I think I am allowed to because I'm APL :cry:.
If anything, I would say my hair was short/med and I think when I reach BSL I may be able to finally say my hair is med/long.

Maybe if my hair was thicker, I would't be so bothered :ohwell:.
Your hair is very pretty to me and from your comparison shots in your siggy it has grown a LOT really fast. :)

gabulldawg

Apparently I may have hair anorexia and didn't even know it!! When I went home my mom and sister were just gushing over how long my hair is. I definitely don't think it's very long, but they did.

I definitely think that hiding your hair helps. I've started back wearing half wigs and plan on doing that for a while.

LadyPaniolo

I think I will hide my hair for a while, if I can DH to back off about the fake hair issue.

My new flat iron should be getting here any day now. I haven't flat ironed in years and years. So it'll be nice to have my hair straightened out, I'll be able to really see the length. I'll have DH take tons of progress pics, and then probably do some braids. Weaves are too itchy and I'm not feeling wigs lately.

Hopefully having my hair braided up will not only give me a rest from styling, but I won't be watching the pot so much.

HeChangedMyName

yep, I've got it bad. my hair isn't nearly the length of yours but when I see people with hair that is my length(as seen in my siggy) it looks so much more than mine

Carrie A

This condition should be called hair gluttony. Anorexics think they have too much (fat). They want to disappear. We are not satisfied and want more hair not less. Name change! Anyone with me????
(Runs smart alek self out of thread before stones are thrown)

SEMO

This condition should be called hair gluttony. Anorexics think they have too much (fat). They want to disappear. We are not satisfied and want more hair not less. Name change! Anyone with me????
(Runs smart alek self out of thread before stones are thrown)
Hmm, this makes sense. So are chronic hair cutters going to be known as hair bulimics? Could get complicated. But hey, let's just keep this simple.