Hair at scalp thinning each relaxer

It's probaly Motions relaxer as I have known people that used it and have had thinning. I would switch to another relaxer.

poookie

i had this problem towards the beginning of last year. my hairline was so thin, you could see skin. my problem was that i wasn't stretching my relaxers long enough. i went from normally relaxing every 7 weeks to waiting at least 12. also, i threw out my brushes, and never brush my hairline, or even smooth it down. now i have hairline for days (except for one spot, which as always been a bit thin, but i think that's just genetic.)

try spacing relaxers out longer than 8 weeks, and babying the area by not brushing. worked for me, and im sure it couldn't hurt :D

nnmiles

I don't really have any advice for you, but it's a good thing you are paying attention to your scalp and any changes.

Have you considered that maybe the relaxers just don't agree with you? I have a cousin who just can't relax her hair for anything (her mom is the same way). It was thinning and would even fall out each time she tried to relax. Now she is natural and her hair is doing much better. (Her hair reminds me of TSUPrincess' - it is so pretty) My cousin can even use heat, the chemicals were just a no-no for her. :nono:

This is a good point op, because I know for a fact that I cannot dye my hair. I always get a severe reaction when I try so I wouldn't dare try relaxers. You may have to give them up. :nono:

Last edited:

poookie

Hmmm, maybe I can try that- no lye or mild. Why is lye so bad? Is it less toxic? Less likely to burn?

i switched from no-lye to lye, and though my scalp is somewhat sensitive, i've had no problems. no-lye is easier on the scalp, because it has a lower pH, but no lye relaxers tend to strip moisture out of the hair. lye is better for the hair because it doesn't leave calcium deposits on the hair, however because of the higher pH, it can hurt your scalp IF you don't base properly.

MDinLA

i had this problem towards the beginning of last year. my hairline was so thin, you could see skin. my problem was that i wasn't stretching my relaxers long enough. i went from normally relaxing every 7 weeks to waiting at least 12. also, i threw out my brushes, and never brush my hairline, or even smooth it down. now i have hairline for days (except for one spot, which as always been a bit thin, but i think that's just genetic.)

try spacing relaxers out longer than 8 weeks, and babying the area by not brushing. worked for me, and im sure it couldn't hurt :D

Hmm, will try that. Now that you mentioned that... Another thing. Maybe bunning isn't for me. i try to do the cowash and airdry challenge. So I bun all the time, and maybe that may be contributing to my edges thinning. I have tried castor oil and ovations to improve the area, but it looks like I have taken steps backwards instead. My hair is longer, but... maybe I need to not wear buns. I can't think of any other protective styles that will allow me to wash and go though.

MDinLA

i switched from no-lye to lye, and though my scalp is somewhat sensitive, i've had no problems. no-lye is easier on the scalp, because it has a lower pH, but no lye relaxers tend to strip moisture out of the hair. lye is better for the hair because it doesn't leave calcium deposits on the hair, however because of the higher pH, it can hurt your scalp IF you don't base properly.

Hmmm, I base my hair. I will try the no lye relaxer and see what happens. What do people who prefer no lye relaxers do to combat the drying effects at the time of relaxer?

MDinLA

So far, here are the great ideas that I will probably try before giving up the relaxer ghost lol.
1) switching from Motion's to another brand as some people have thinning issues with Motions.
2) switching to a no lye relaxer
3) switching to mild relaxer
4) leaving the edges alone. ie no brushing
5) adding oils to relaxer so it slows down the process... takes m ore time to burn I guess.

Am I missing any other suggestions?

poookie

oh, and another thing. the bottom 2 inches of my nape used to be bald. as in, i had no hair from the middle of my ears on down. (eyebrow shaper incident gone horribly wrong in 7th grade :perplexed )

my mother used to tell me to grease that area nightly. i did so for 3 months straight, and had no noticeable growth whatsoever. on top of that, she told me to apply all kinds of creams and things to the area, also to no avail.

however, in the 8 months its been since i stopped using petrolatum / mineral jelly based greases, i've noticed that my hair has grown tremendously. while some people can use the stuff with no problem, i've found that putting things on my scalp inhibits growth. i read in your original poast (lol, i like spelling post that way) you grease your scalp... that might be another potential problem. :scratchch

glam-

OMG! Seriously every relaxed head should read that article. I am scared :censored: Did you see that lady's hair??!! I have never in my life seen something like that!:nono: I am going to get off this thread and massage my scalp immediately! That was almost enough to make me go natural! I think I might start stretching my relaxers after reading that article. THAT WAS HORRIBLE! Poor lady:cry3:

That article is so sad :sad:

Last edited:

MDinLA

oh, and another thing. the bottom 2 inches of my nape used to be bald. as in, i had no hair from the middle of my ears on down. (eyebrow shaper incident gone horribly wrong in 7th grade :perplexed )

my mother used to tell me to grease that area nightly. i did so for 3 months straight, and had no noticeable growth whatsoever. on top of that, she told me to apply all kinds of creams and things to the area, also to no avail.

however, in the 8 months its been since i stopped using petrolatum / mineral jelly based greases, i've noticed that my hair has grown tremendously. while some people can use the stuff with no problem, i've found that putting things on my scalp inhibits growth. i read in your original poast (lol, i like spelling post that way) you grease your scalp... that might be another potential problem. :scratchch

The only thing I put on my scalp is castor/ olive oil and ovations. They r supposed to grow your hair. People suggest using them to fill in the edges.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Hon-ee! I went through this. My derm diagnosed me with alopecia. He told me to stop getting relaxers. I looked at him as though he were telling me my life would end. I thought, give up relaxers? How in the world could i do that? I heard if you tried, your hair would pop off and break and you'd surely be bald....I didn't take his advice, and every relaxer my hair would thin out. Every relaxer...this kept happening for years. My stylists thought i was nuts when i told them my concerns. My hair would shed horribly. Horribly. Horribly. I don't wish it on my worse enemy...Then when it got really bad, they got scared, but wouldn't change how they applied the relaxer...

I checked out Cathy Howse's website...(take a look, dont buy the book, it doesn't add much info) The relaxed hair should be smoothed going UP in a mohawk fashion instead of mashed into the skin, laying flat on the head...relaxer should NOT touch your scalp...I eventually had to transition after a relaxer in January that left my hair see through and I could see my scalp. Mind you, my hair was so thick i hated to put it in a ponytail...i had to wet it to smooth it all down....this was over a process of 6 years....it was a very gradual thing, the last couple of years it became really aggressive.

Therefore, I use Etae Caramel treatment to "relax" my NG and I am transitioning to all natural and no longer relaxing my hair with chemicals. If you can't get a good stylist to relax your hair the correct way, or you are not able to relax your own hair correctly, you better stop before you go bald. That's what I did. That's what I'm doing. You may PM me for more info. This board has been a blessing as I search for ways to take control of my hair and nurse it back to health, with God's guidance. I was an every 2 weeks salon gal....I co-wash my own hair, and take care of it myself...every now and then I'll go to a Dominican Salon to get a flat iron or wash and set and that's it...and I'm happy...Now if only Houston weren't so humid....

MDinLA

Hon-ee! I went through this. My derm diagnosed me with alopecia. He told me to stop getting relaxers. I looked at him as though he were telling me my life would end. I thought, give up relaxers? How in the world could i do that? I heard if you tried, your hair would pop off and break and you'd surely be bald....I didn't take his advice, and every relaxer my hair would thin out. Every relaxer...this kept happening for years. My stylists thought i was nuts when i told them my concerns. My hair would shed horribly. Horribly. Horribly. I don't wish it on my worse enemy...Then when it got really bad, they got scared, but wouldn't change how they applied the relaxer...

I checked out Cathy Howse's website...(take a look, dont buy the book, it doesn't add much info) The relaxed hair should be smoothed going UP in a mohawk fashion instead of mashed into the skin, laying flat on the head...relaxer should NOT touch your scalp...I eventually had to transition after a relaxer in January that left my hair see through and I could see my scalp. Mind you, my hair was so thick i hated to put it in a ponytail...i had to wet it to smooth it all down....this was over a process of 6 years....it was a very gradual thing, the last couple of years it became really aggressive.

Therefore, I use Etae Caramel treatment to "relax" my NG and I am transitioning to all natural and no longer relaxing my hair with chemicals. If you can't get a good stylist to relax your hair the correct way, or you are not able to relax your own hair correctly, you better stop before you go bald. That's what I did. That's what I'm doing. You may PM me for more info. This board has been a blessing as I search for ways to take control of my hair and nurse it back to health, with God's guidance. I was an every 2 weeks salon gal....I co-wash my own hair, and take care of it myself...every now and then I'll go to a Dominican Salon to get a flat iron or wash and set and that's it...and I'm happy...Now if only Houston weren't so humid....

Wow, I will definitely check out the website. I'm still trying to figure out how to apply the relaxer without it touching your scalp. I guess I can figure out a way to do that. Has your hair grown back from where it was thinning?

Anna9764

I recommend No Lye, Mild relaxers. Also stretch the amount of time between relaxers. And last, don't try to get your hair bone straight. Good Luck Anna

SoOoNY

Motions is the devil for my hair... try using affirm or ors... stay away from Mizani, they are known to relax quicker and burn your scalp more... try stretching... also try adding the Castor oil to your DC as a prepoo with heat... thats what i did... and def switch to a mild the burn is not a good thing (i think ANY burn hardly ever is:ohwell:)

Hope it works out!:yep:

nichole21

Your post is such a blessing. I am really considering going natural for many of the reasons you talked about and I just hate the thought of relaxing for the rest of my life.

tocktick

Then don't get me started! I was speaking with a customer the other day who said her friend does autopsies. She said whenever they are working on African American females who have had relaxed hair, they have all this green puss and foam that emerges from their scalps. Gross!! :nono:

oh my damn...:look: :perplexed

lovelymissyoli

Well if that is the case that I may be overprocessed, then that makes me feel a "little" bit better ie it seems to be fixable. But how in the world can you guys texlax, cause it seems to me that by the time the relaxer is placed throughout the entire head it's at least 15 minutes already, and I would think that by then the hair is completely relaxed. I've thought about texlaxing, but I don't see how it's possible. Maybe I just need to apply it faster? So I can wash it out faster...

I texlax in sections!! I part my hair in 4's (or if I want to be really precise--I make even smaller sections within those sections). I do all of this BEFORE applying a relaxer. I don't want my hair to overprocess while I'm still trying apply the relaxer. I separate the sections with plastic clips. Once everything is parted, then and only then do I apply my relaxer. After that, I time each section for 7-10 minutes. I then proceed to rinse out that particular section making sure that I don't wet the other ones that have not had a relaxer applied yet. Sometimes I have to rinse my hair out under the faucet on low or with a hand towel to make sure I don't wet all of my hair. I then apply neutralizing shampoo to the section, letting it sit while I move on to the next one.

I'm *very* precise with texlaxing my hair. My method is definitely not for everyone because it can take hours for me to do my hair depending on how obsessive compulsive I become! :look:
:yep:

*Happily Me*

Then don't get me started! I was speaking with a customer the other day who said her friend does autopsies. She said whenever they are working on African American females who have had relaxed hair, they have all this green puss and foam that emerges from their scalps. Gross!! :nono:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

yeah, uh huh...

ETA - OP, you have received some good advice already. :yep: I would either stretch, transition and give up heat.

Last edited:

MDinLA

I texlax in sections!! I part my hair in 4's (or if I want to be really precise--I make even smaller sections within those sections). I do all of this BEFORE applying a relaxer. I don't want my hair to overprocess while I'm still trying apply the relaxer. I separate the sections with plastic clips. Once everything is parted, then and only then do I apply my relaxer. After that, I time each section for 7-10 minutes. I then proceed to rinse out that particular section making sure that I don't wet the other ones that have not had a relaxer applied yet. Sometimes I have to rinse my hair out under the faucet on low or with a hand towel to make sure I don't wet all of my hair. I then apply neutralizing shampoo to the section, letting it sit while I move on to the next one.

I'm *very* precise with texlaxing my hair. My method is definitely not for everyone because it can take hours for me to do my hair depending on how obsessive compulsive I become! :look::yep:

Wow. Thank you for the suggestion. The amount of time that the relaxer is left in may definitely contribute to this problem. Finding a way to quickly apply a relaxer may help solve it. Thanks.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

:look:Sorry i haven't posted.....yes, my hair has grown back where it was thinning...i'm still working on very front of my hairline. been trying different growth aids...it grows then sheds...but it will get better....you guys pm me if you need me, sometimes i do not check back in time to answer...check out the caramel treatment- you can always make your own..., definitely take msm and l-cysteine they will help your hair grow in thicker, faster....

HTH

Be Blessed....Like me, Blessed Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll.....:yep:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Maybe relaxers are just not for you.......................

I read this article at the beginning of the year....
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/colu...sses_in_distress_from_care_and_chemicals.html

Good luck to you.

:sad: That women sitting in that chair could be me.....what happened to her was the EXACT thing that happened to me. The bald spot is the same and everything.

MTG filled mine in quite nicely but the hair in that area is still painfully thin...let's put it this way 'I canNOT wear my hair parted down the middle' :nono: