Hair Breakage 101-- just wanted to share!

Edie

DSylla said:
i just re-read this

my hair is super elastic and getting mushy. i did a 5 in 1 reconstructor while in the shower the other day. that did nothing but made my hair a bit dry... i only used it in the shower so i did not deep condition with it. my hair is still very elastic while wet.

i am deep conditioning with ORS hair mayonaisse right now.

will this help?

i should do a moisturing conditioner afterwards, right?

You need to do a heavy duty protein treatment, followed by a moisturizing conditioning treatment. Or you can do what I do. I always mix 1 part protein conditioner to 3-4 parts moisturizing conditioner when I wash my hair. I never have a problem with mushy hair or hair that is brittle or breaks. I will let this mixture sit on my head for 20-30 minutes.

*Happily Me*

Thanks Edie and Brazen.

My hair is a little better - i've been co-washing with ORS and Praital. I'm going to do another deep conditioner with my 5-1 this weekend.

and i'm going to limit the use of heat during this process (i kinda have too... my Maxiglide is broken :cry:)

Miss*Tress

Amylee said:
Thank you very much Sistaslick !!!
This is very helpful and I'm forever grateful to you :) :) :)

Would you allow me to use this information and translate it into french in order to help some relaxed and desperate ladies on a french forum?
I will quote the original text and send a link, but some of them cannot understand english.

I will wait for your authorization before doing anything, it wouldn't honest of me othewise.

Thanks in advance :)
Hi Amylee. Which French forum are you on?

dabashmentlady

Thank you so much for this info.

I have had serious breakage problems for almost a year and never knew why. After reading this three weeks ago I realized my hair lacked protein. I have since then did done an Aphogee treatment and a hair mayo mixed with egg treatment.

Amazingly the breakage the breakage is almost no more.

I am so grateful.

Flamingnubian

I am kinda new... well I just paid my dues! This is just great... I have a lot of hope after reading this.. Education is real power! For real.. great stuff

ajoyfuljoy

that was so helpful. thank you so much for posting that. i've been reading up on hair a lot lately but that made me feel like i'd really learned something.

MzWill

Thanks Sista!!!!!
You're a bad mamajama for this one!!!!
Now I know what I've been doing wrong for so long.

shaniqua

Hey,

I live in London. Can anyone tell me a good moisturizer that I can use?

That protein/moisturizer forum was REALLY good and now I realize that I've been needing moisture all along!

chicacanella

Hey,

I live in London. Can anyone tell me a good moisturizer that I can use?

That protein/moisturizer forum was REALLY good and now I realize that I've been needing moisture all along!

S-curl is a good moisturizer. Maker sure your hair is brushed out and shake it up first.

TexturedTresses

Thank you very much, reading this article before actually joined helped me to begin to come back from protein overload. I'm still working on it. Thanks to you I actually know what caused the breakage and what to actually do about it.

Hot40

Just joined today and this was great.
Still attempting to get my head around moisture and sealing.
Any good moisture products out there?

clarity2008

Ok, so i don't have the time to read all of the replies...so...how much breakage is normal? should a healthy head have ANY breakage? please help me out!

Tamrin

unapologetic
Ok, so i don't have the time to read all of the replies...so...how much breakage is normal? should a healthy head have ANY breakage? please help me out!

Its normal to shed (little white bulbs on end of hair coming from scalp). Breakage (little pieces of hair with no bulb) is not normal.

You should be shedding about 100 hairs a day or less.

tiara76

appreciate this thread...learned so much on this alone than i have in the past year of natural hair care....thanx

Eclass215

Wow - you don't even know how I was reading this all wide eyed like a little kid watching cartoons! Lol. Thank you so much! I am going to pay more attention and try to see if I can make a difference with my hair.