Hair Breaks When Curly..HELP!

AudraChanell

Thanks! I use a Motions Mild...it's lye.

I read the entire thread and the only thing I have to add is that I think it might be your texturizer/texlaxer. Are you using Motions (Lye or No Lye)?

I was texlaxed for years and the only thing that stopped breakage was switching to a LYE relaxer for my texlax (no mix relaxer Mizani). While using a NO-lye relaxer I could not get my hair to grow past shoulder length. Dryness and breakage city. I really hope this helps.

LovelyLouboutin

I'm starting to have this problem as well. I'm mbl and it seems as my hair gets longer its more difficult to detangle. I have a patch on the left back side that is always in a clusterfu*k of tangles. By the time I finish detangling my scalp is sore :(. I'm going to try to do more braid outs.

faithVA

Thank you so much faithVA heirloom Seamonster Lucia. I am going to stop pass Sally's on the way home this evening and pick up the ION packet for this weekend. I can still remember like it was yesterday, my hubby's response after I removed the weave! "That is NOT my baby's hair!" He was bothered by it as well, but tried not to say too much because he didnt want to upset me. *sigh* He says it's looking better but, "I better not put that **** back in my hair anymore!" :lol:. I"m still very much devastated and want my hair back.

And as much as I thought my hair hated protein when I switched to something better, I had no issue.

I have used a reconstructor every other week for the past 6 weeks and my hair is finally strong.

You will probably have to use a reconstructor more than once to get your hair in optimum shape. But I think the sample will ease your peace of mind about being protein sensitive.

I only used 1 sample pack but my hair is 4b, medium density and only 4" long. So purchase what you need for your hair density and length.

AudraChanell

I guess I'll have to start fresh usign more protein. For the most part I use CPR or random Reconstructors here and there, but not often. Maybe once a month. I did do an Aphoghee Treatment (thats how desperate I was :lol:) when I took out the weave 2 months ago.

And as much as I thought my hair hated protein when I switched to something better, I had no issue.

I have used a reconstructor every other week for the past 6 weeks and my hair is finally strong.

You will probably have to use a reconstructor more than once to get your hair in optimum shape. But I think the sample will ease your peace of mind about being protein sensitive.

I only used 1 sample pack but my hair is 4b, medium density and only 4" long. So purchase what you need for your hair density and length.

faithVA

I guess I'll have to start fresh usign more protein. For the most part I use CPR or random Reconstructors here and there, but not often. Maybe once a month. I did do an Aphoghee Treatment (thats how desperate I was :lol:) when I took out the weave 2 months ago.

What reconstructors do you have around the house already?

Some hair loves aphogee. My hair liked it but it made me shed more.

Seamonster

Hmm, Im not consistent with one moisturizing product, usually a creamy moisturizer and some oil. A bad thing may be using a liqui-gel like Wet, but I use about a nickle size one time only. I may re-mist with water the next day to liven it up. Sometime I'd put it up (friction from bobby pins and bands possibly) but why doesnt that happen to anyone else?

We have all been there, our hair is breaking for an unknown reason. It sounds like you could use more moisture in your life as well as protein. Coconut oil helps relaxed heads retain hair. I like hemp seed oil as a ceramide, but my hair does well on sunflower oil. I would suggest that you use coconut oil daily as it goes into the hair, and won't mess up your style, then seal it with a light ceramide like sunflower oil. These two will strengthen your hair so that it retains better. Also a protein sensitive relaxed head means you need more water on your hair. Co-washing every other day should remedy that, you can reduce the co-washes as the condition of your hair improves.

I would say a haitian routine would be your best bet.

Nightly
1. Prepoo your hair with coconut oil sealed with sunflower oil
2. Braid hair into four to eight plaits to seal in the oil

Daily
Baggy your bun

Every other morning co wash

Weekly shampoo and deep condition

I like Shescentit Okra for protein sensitive hair, it is a light protein. Their avocado conditioner is a good co wash, and to condition after the okra. I got this from some beautiful relaxed heads when I started LHCF, and my natural hair loved it as much as their relaxed heads did. Once your hair is in better condition I prefer the Shescentit reconstructor, but my hair loves protein. The relaxed ladies started me on this one too. Hair is hair, most of us know more about relaxed hair than natural, truth be told.

Hope this helps, I am going to call some beautiful relaxed heads to amend my recommendations, and answer the what they do to stop breakage when they wear a braid out
shortdub divachyk

AudraChanell

Thanks so much!! I'm afraid of the plaits, etc, and having perpetually wet hair. That's what happen on vacation :/. I'll look into the oils so thanks so much!! I'm at Sally's now :)

AudraChanell

We have all been there, our hair is breaking for an unknown reason. It sounds like you could use more moisture in your life as well as protein. Coconut oil helps relaxed heads retain hair. I like hemp seed oil as a ceramide, but my hair does well on sunflower oil. I would suggest that you use coconut oil daily as it goes into the hair, and won't mess up your style, then seal it with a light ceramide like sunflower oil. These two will strengthen your hair so that it retains better. Also a protein sensitive relaxed head means you need more water on your hair. Co-washing every other day should remedy that, you can reduce the co-washes as the condition of your hair improves.

I would say a haitian routine would be your best bet.

Nightly
1. Prepoo your hair with coconut oil sealed with sunflower oil
2. Braid hair into four to eight plaits to seal in the oil

Daily
Baggy your bun

Every other morning co wash

Weekly shampoo and deep condition

I like Shescentit Okra for protein sensitive hair, it is a light protein. Their avocado conditioner is a good co wash, and to condition after the okra. I got this from some beautiful relaxed heads when I started LHCF, and my natural hair loved it as much as their relaxed heads did. Once your hair is in better condition I prefer the Shescentit reconstructor, but my hair loves protein. The relaxed ladies started me on this one too. Hair is hair, most of us know more about relaxed hair than natural, truth be told.

Hope this helps, I am going to call some beautiful relaxed heads to amend my recommendations, and answer the what they do to stop breakage when they wear a braid out
shortdub divachyk

Thanks so much!! I will wait and I bought the ION pack so far :)

Attachments

• image-135219604.jpg
    image-135219604.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 9

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Seamonster, thank you for the compliment.

AudraChanell, although I'm relaxed (not texlaxed), my air dried textured is wavy and coarse. My hair needs extra, extra love and moisture when wearing air dried styles such as bantu knots or braidouts. My hair dries out very quickly and tangles when wearing what you consider curly styles. My hair can appear moist but it's really not. Look and feel can be quite deceiving.

I've learned to pump moisture to the curly style regardless if it feels necessary. In addition to moisturizing/sealing 2x daily, I also finger comb and re-braid/re-twist the hair at night to minimize tangling potential.

Worst case, if none of this works for you and curly styles remain a challenge, you should opt for other vacay styles like buns, french braids, flat twist or fishtail braids. While these may seem boring in comparison to a curly style, at the least the hair will remain stretched and tangle free. Ideally, that will then lead to breakage free hair. Great vacation. Hair retention. Win/win for everyone.

Regarding protein, I'm protein sensitive even though I'm relaxed and only use protein every 10-12 weeks, give or take. As faithVA mentioned, I used Ion Effective Care. It works great for my hair. I feel it's very balanced and never leaves me feeling protein overloaded.

Last edited:

AudraChanell

Thanks divachyk! I'm trying the suggestions of others...mine isnt working LOL. Foregoing curly until I have it figured out is a solid plan? My texlaxed hair is rebelling! lol

Lucia

I've been considering this and have to re-evaluate the notion of my hair being protein sensitive, but I'm afraid. In 2002 and 2004 I suffered loses for regularly using protein, mild at that, via Affirm 5-n-1, Salerm 21 Leave-in, and Mane-n-Tail. I couldnt figure out why I'd have boughts of straw-like hair, random breakage, etc, and removed protein altogether (for a awhile) after the emergence of SO many hair forums on the internet. I realized others were suffering from protein so I back off majorly and havent hair straw-like or breaking hair since. Like you're suggesting, however, maybe I still need more? If so, WHY does this only happen when it's curly... does it slice itself, break from friction etc and Why dont others have this type of curly-state sensitivity? Everyone is growing natural hair...mine would snap, crackle, and pop lol

I loss so much hair from wearing a weave as a protective style. Many use it to transition; I had to cut 4"! I wore a braided weave, 3 installs, over 4 months ... horrible results. I put it in myself and in many others heads as well and they dont have the horrible breakage I had. I watched their hair grow like weeds.

Seems like when you had the breakage you were doubling up the protein, Salerm an MT. I woldn't be too afraid of a little protein, it's finding that protein/moisture balance thats the trick. Once you figure that out it should help.
What's your regimen now? please tell us what products you use, how you use each product. What is your go to daily style, do you protective style etc, when how do you detangle, how often you relax/texlax? And do you DC before/after or both when you relax? That will help us with suggestions.
Have you thought of pH, porosity issues?

Last edited:

Bozcurls

My crown has the tightest curls (3c)and is prone to breakage. Extra care is required. I've retained about 3 inches of growth there, and about 5 elsewhere since July of last year. So obviously I had to load on more conditioner and leave in. I finger detangle that area before going through with a wide tooth comb.

Sent from my nexus 4 using LHCF

AudraChanell

Lucia I can see how that was confusing. I was using M-N-T twice a month and never with Salerm 21. I would use Salerm 21 every other time while my hair was wet (leave-in condiitoner). Thast was almost a decade ago, yet my hair breaks when it's curly now. I also used Affirm-5-n-1 and CPR,

My Current Regimen:
- TEXTURIZE 3-4 times per year

- Pre-poo 3 out of 4 Times, moisturizing conditioner and oil mostly. Sometimes I used fresh ingredients like avocado, yogurt, coconut milk etc (allow to penetrate at least 10 mins under a plastic cap them shampoo in shower)

- Shampoo Weekly in shower, moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (allow to penetrate at least 10 mins no heat)

- Deep Condition Twice a Month with heat and oil

- Protein Once a month, I use protein reconstructor like Aphoghee 2-min, Biotera, Affirm-5-1, Motions Silk Protein, Motions CPR, random protein conditioners in my arsenal.

- Detangle with widetooth or paddle brush from bottom up; don’t really have detangling issues. I detangle in 20 seconds or less

- No blowdry, flat iron, or hot curls

- Always Air Dry then steam or roller set or bantu knots; some heat-free style

Seems like when you had the breakage you were doubling up the protein, Salerm an MT. I woldn't be too afraid of a little protein, it's finding that protein/moisture balance thats the trick. Once you figure that out it should help.
What's your regimen now? please tell us what products you use, how you use each product. What is your go to daily style, do you protective style etc, when how do you detangle, how often you relax/texlax? And do you DC before/after or both when you relax? That will help us with suggestions.
Have you thought of pH, porosity issues?

Last edited:

karenjoe

I would try a different product to prepoo. ) shea moisturize, hello hydration, etc 1 hr
I wouldn't shampoo. maybe once a month w patene for women of color
I would use a weekly protein like ORS or Kpak conditioner
apoghe 2 step,(hard protein) once a month ONLY + moisturizing after
try tea rinses + moisturizer (1 hr)
bagging my ends really stopped my hair from breaking also.:yep:

do u have color in your hair?

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
When hair is breaking it's either that it's too dry or that it needs protein. From what I'm reading, it doesn't seem as though you moisturise enough between washes and DCs unless you haven't put emphasis on that part of your regimen when you typed it above. What are you using for daily moisture to make your hair silky? Texturised hair needs moisture and certainly when my hair was texturised (way back when), if I didn't moisturise it enough, I did experience a lot of breakage.

If you are using Motions CPR and other protein and still seeing breakage, then it might be a moisture problem. My texturised hair drank moisture and not spritzes with lots of water either because that just dried my hair out once the water evaporated and caused breakage. It needed proper heavy moisture in the form of activators so that my hair felt silky but not greasy. If you don't want to use those, try a heavy cream one and then seal with an oil.

Last edited: