Hair Care Books

angelita842002 said:
What is your Hair Care Bible? Besides the forum of course!!!

I read Black Haircare by Shamboozie and sometimes refer back to my cosmetology books and handouts and I search the internet as well. I don't have a book per se, it's been trial and error for me since I began my hair journey at the end of July.

What books do you use if any?

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Beautiful Black Hair by Shamboosie

Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me by Paula Begoun (I don't agree with 70% of what's in it, but it's still a good book to have around)

Essence Total Beauty (or something like that)

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I haven't bought any haircare books yet to read, but I still look back into Miladys Standard textbk from school. I am interested in seeing what my local library has though, so this will be a good thread so I can jot down the names of some bks.

chayil0427

Honestly I've found the hair care books I've ready (Shamboosie, Barry Fletcher, Diane Da Costa, Cathy Howse, ect) to be disappointing. Cathy Howse's book is full of typos and incomplete thoughts. It's so poorly written and edited that I returned it to the store. The others are really not much better. Shamboosies rambles and contradicts himself, Barry Flectcher was informative, but he promotes his own products too much. Really I haven't found a bible. That's why I love on to LHCF. You ladies are like Paul in his time.....you're living the life and writing the book every day.

Chayil

HoneyDew

chayil0427 said:
Honestly I've found the hair care books I've ready (Shamboosie, Barry Fletcher, Diane Da Costa, Cathy Howse, ect) to be disappointing. Cathy Howse's book is full of typos and incomplete thoughts. It's so poorly written and edited that I returned it to the store. The others are really not much better. Shamboosies rambles and contradicts himself, Barry Flectcher was informative, but he promotes his own products too much. Really I haven't found a bible. That's why I love on to LHCF. You ladies are like Paul in his time.....you're living the life and writing the book every day.

Chayil

I agree! These books have not been all that to me when you compare them to this site.

chayil0427 said:

Chayil

I think nexxus and dudley's sponsored him, the book is an advertisement for those products

leleepop

I think Carolyn Gray's is in line with the spirit of this forum....Then Cathy Howse's.....Shamboosie is pure garbage IMHO.

caribeandiva

Human being
Beautiful black hair by Shamboosie is my hair bible. I follow everything he says and he has yet to steer me wrong.

i've also read:
Hair rules by Dickey (learned nothing new from this book)
A black woman's guide to beautiful hair by Lisa Ackberry (very informative also thought me to steer clear of hot or steam rollers)
Don't go shopping for hair-care products without me by Paula Begoun (very informative also)
Let's talk hair by Pamela Ferell (kept convincing the readers to go natural)

Last edited:

mommylioness

Natural Hair Care and Braiding by Diane Carol Bailey is extremely educational. It breaks down everything from the make-up of our hair strands to grooming all types of African hair.

MzOptimistic

chayil0427 said:

Chayil

You are absolutely right...when I read her book I was like WTF....then I would go to the previous page to see WTF was she talking about and it just didn't make sense to many imcomplete thoughts...you hit it right on the nail...I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the book..besides the defensiveness...

PaperClip

HoneyDew said:
I agree! These books have not been all that to me when you compare them to this site.

I agree with this. I have yet to find the best book because most of them that I reviewed during my consideration to go natural were loaded with rhetoric and persuasion.... My decision was already made. I want(ed) books with more of an instructional flavor and less subtle suggestions re. relaxing/texturizing.... P.S. I'm still in rehab... don't need no temptations! ;)

MzOptimistic

RelaxerRehab said:
I agree with this. I have yet to find the best book because most of them that I reviewed during my consideration to go natural were loaded with rhetoric and persuasion.... My decision was already made. I want(ed) books with more of an instructional flavor and less subtle suggestions re. relaxing/texturizing.... P.S. I'm still in rehab... don't need no temptations! ;)

You are right the books has no comparison whatsoever to this site....this site is THA BOMB but it builds a foundation for your regimen..The ladies on this site are so smart, knowledgable, and informative about taking care and growing hair...that it can get overwhelming....and when I first joined I was so excited that I went and bought practically everything the ladies raved about...BUT I did not know how to use the products and when to use the products....the book I read and stilll refer to helped me build my regimen on a week by week basis, as far as when to apply certain products and how long to leave them in....I still come to the site EVERYDAY and soak up the knowledge cuz the knowledge on here is current and new info is available everyday....I ordered my book more for visualization too....and will still check in with the ladies to make sure that something is safe before I try it....The book that I read is good for anyone who is starting out on their goal and do not know where to begin and just needs the visualization of what to do in week 1 after a touchup etc....before I bought my new book...I use to run to the site and say how to apply this protein treatment and when should I clarify, etc....you know I was completely lost because I never knew about none of this stuff...I barely washed my hair...let alone talking bout a protein treatment or hot oil treatment....so this book helped me alot...you also cannot compare one author recommendations to 1,000 of ladies recommendations.....if I had to choose MY book or this site...it would be this site...

Last edited:

MzOptimistic

Letitia said:
TSmith You are going to make me buy this book!! lol

Yep:grin: ...you would think I worked for this lady....but the book helped me when I first joined this site and I just want to recommend this book to ladies who are a little confused about ALL THIS MADNESS:lol: because when you start learning a wealth of information that you had no knowledge about prior...you are going to get excited and overwhelmed...I KNOW...