Hair care can be stressful

Dionne

I have ruined what little progress my hair was making. I recently scorched it with a curling iron and neglected washing properly and conditioning for 2 weeks. My hair is breaking off my the handful a day. The amount of hair andrienne had in her photo album(the big clump) is what I am getting twice a day. The hair in my "kitchen" has started to grow corse, thicker and darker. It has made it hard to comb and my scalp is very sore. I when and got it shaved off but it still is growing in like that. My ends are beginning to be see through and my hair isn't even an inch past my ears. I want to give up but I know you all won't let me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I just don't know what to do. I have been trying to eat better and atleast once a day but that is a work in progress. I am just tired of going two step ahead just to be dragged back six. A week ago my hair was okay but now it is a mess. I have been soo busy that I just haven't been able to take the time to do stuff the right way. My new plan was working but now I am back to square one. What should I do??? Should I go back to the plan I had devised or cut off damaged parts and star over? Any ideas whould be great. I think I have learned my lesson from this however- in healthy haircare there are not short cuts. The benefit is temporary (in my case 2 weeks) but you will pay for it eventually.

notsomebody

Right now you need to try to do something to arrest the breakage. A deep protein treatment followed by an intensive moisturizing one is what you need. Aphogee makes one that is called Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair. Make sure you follow it with something moisturizing even if it means adding Olive oil or Jojoba to your regular conditioner and sitting under a plastic cap with heat.
I am most worried about the problems you are talking about with your scap. If it is sore, you have got to find out why. Stop combing your hair and you may want to see a dermatologist. You didn't mention whether or not you are relaxed. If so, do not do a relaxer for a while. Your scalp probably can't take it.
Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, that will definitely help with the dry ness. Your body works in its own way to get what it needs. IF you are not practicing proper nutrition and hydration, your body takes it from your hair nails and skin. You have got to replenish it.
Also, I know this is much easier said than done, but you have got to find some means of de-stressing.
As for making your hair softer, a hot oil treatment with Extra Virgin Olive oil will do wonders. You may want to lay off of the shampoo for a while and keep your hair rinsed and moisturized.
The other ladies can offer better advice. But if you are noticing more problems with your scalp, please go see a dermatologist. It could be a sign of something worse than hair damage.

Kitkat

Hi Dionne! Girl, don't despair. We've all been there, taking two steps forward and five steps backward. I'm sorry to hear about your setback.

What was your hair care regimen before this problem started, and were you using a curling iron? I would go back to what was working before. If you used a curling iron regularly in the past, were you using a protective creme or balm?

If your hair benefitted in the past from washing and deep conditioning more frequently, maybe you should give this another shot. You might want to consider using a protein conditioner to combat the breakage. Start with something creamy like Nexxus Keraphixx or Aubreys GPB, which will leave it soft and not dry it out. If your hair isn't extremely dry, perhaps try a concentrated protein conditioner, followed with a moisturizing conditioner to balance dryness that lots of protein causes. Try these things before considering cutting out the damage and starting over, and please keep us posted.

Hope this helps somewhat. Just remember that you're not alone!!

L.A. Woman

I agree -- don't underestimate the power of a protein treatment and moisturizing conditioner. There is no substitute for a proper conditioning after each shampoo. Your hair will suffer without it. Aside from the detangling/combing process, a good deep condition is probably the most critical step in your hair regimen.

I can vouch for Aubrey's GPB -- it's a good protein conditioner. Also think good nutrition. Now is the time to be adding dark greens to every dinner. Kale, Swiss Chard, Collards, Mustard, Dandelion -- don't matter. Oatmeal or Cheerios for breakfast won't hurt. Salmon, Tuna, Chicken and Turkey for lunch wouldn't be a bad thing either. Nutrition is soooo important to bring back your hair.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Dionne-

Hang in there, girl! You can do this! Setbacks can be disheartening - I've had a few myself. But each setback provided me with an opportunity to learn what works for my hair and what doesn't. Don't let your current state of affairs stop you from achieving your hair goals.

Something you wrote did cause me some concern: You said you have been trying to eat better and at least once a day but that it's a work in progress. I don't want to be all up in your business about eating patterns, I resepct your right to privacy. I do want to share, however, that medical articles have repeatedly published that <font color="red"> the failure to adequately nourish the body -i.e., not eating daily- can lead to brittle, breaking, and or shedding hair.</font color> /images/graemlins/shocked.gif This may be a culprit for why your hair has see-through ends and is breaking off by the handful a day. (Your hair is always growing, no matter what - to get long hair our ability to retain what's there can impact our progress more than the growth rate /images/graemlins/wink.gif). Try e <font color="red"> </font color> ating brightly colored fruits and veggies, which are packed with good nutrients for the body and hair (I believe there's a thread, "Good Food for Hair Growth" or something like that). Many of us also take supplements - but supplements are what they say: they're supplements (or in-addition-to) actual meals. Otherwise, your body will readily absorb the supplements, leaving your hair without the desired affect. I would strongly encourage you to keep eating everyday - not just for your hair, but for your overall health. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In the meantime, try to keep heat away from your hair. Scorching your delicate strands with a curling iron will only increase the breakage right now. Once you nurse your hair back to health, direct heat won't be as harmful but right now try to wear heat-free styles.

The good news is that you don't necessarily have to cut off your hair. You can nurse your hair, trimming the severely damaged parts gradually as you start to retain more length. Mahalia Lee has some copy-righted recipes that I and other members have used successfully for extremely damaged hair.

Finally, you said that your hair is coarser and thicker in the kitchen, making it hard to comb and your scalp very sore. Have you tried either wetting your hair or moisturizing it before combing? Your scalp may be sore from all the tugging and moisturizing your hair should make it easier for your comb to glide through.

Good luck, Dionne! YOU CAN DO THIS! I'm glad you posted here because the members here can provide you with the support and information to help you reach your hair goals. I hope you keep posting.

Nyambura

Lucia

The ladies have given good advice a usual, don't worry we've all been there , I just had a slight set-back myself. Just get back on the bike. I would repeat the deep condtioning with cholesterol under heated damp towel or heat cap, or dryer ($5) at Sally's beauty supply, after the protein treatment and keep the hair oiled and moisterized daily.
hth

henrilou

Dionne all the women have given EXCELLENT advice about your hair. And they have written to tell you that you aren't alone. Hair IS frustrating. Take care of it, but take care of you too. Do you have time in your day (and the end ) to sit and talk to our heavenly father about your burdens and frustrations? Find some time. Because if you're strong, the hair thing is much easier.

Tara

Just wanted to add, are you using a wide tooth comb. This is so key in being able to comb your hair properly.

Also make sure you are starting from the bottom, and "gently" combing your way up. If you hit tangles, do NOT rake the comb through, but stop and try to detangle with fingers. I would advise using a detangler prior to combing your hair.

I don't have a relaxer, so I don't know if this applies to you or not (relaxed ladies help me out) but I only comb my hair when wet. I never try to comb it dry. I would advise softening the new growth with something and then doing your comb through. Alot of hair coming out is usually due to our combing methods, so hopefully this helps.

In addition, I would echo what everyone has said, if you previous routine was working, go back to it, and then maybe in a few months you can get a slight trim, and gradually trim away the damage if that makes it easier to deal with.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dionne

Thanks everyone.

I used some GPB last night and it really works. I am going to used again tonight. Thanks again.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Re: Thanks everyone.

It looks like you're going to have a happy ending, Dionne. /images/graemlins/wink.gif
Hair care can certainly be a roller coaster! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif