Hair Care Experts:Hair S.O.S:Please Read.

northernbelle

I have been experiencing breakage lately. My ends are coming out. I don't know if it's due to the cold weather, or my having been really sick for the past month, or my having not been very conscientious with my protein treaments, or a combination of these factors. It's strange, because I have not had this problem since late last summer.

I may need a good trim. During my last relaxer touch up six weeks ago, my stylist gave me a very minimal trim, which was probably not sufficient.
I went for a reconstructor treatment about two weeks ago, but it did not seem to help much. My stylist, who is very good and who I really like, said there was some breakage, but not enough to be alarmed about. I do have a "weak spot" at the crown - have had it since the mid-1990s. My mother checked it during my recent visit with my parents and brother. While my mother noticed a combination of longer and shorter hairs in this area, there were no bald spots. Sounds terrible, but I was actually bald in this area in October, 2003. So, I have made significant progress.

I must admit: I have been very diligent with the moisturizing treatments, but very lax with the protein treatments. I also have not been protecting my ends. I am a faithful hat wearer, but my ends are sticking out. I have also not been treating my ends at night.

I recently purchased the Redken Extreme CAT Reconstructor Treatment. I used it last evening, and I experienced a noticeable improvement, but my ends are still coming out a bit.

This is my current product line up and procedure. I shampoo and condition once every five to seven days.

*Keracare Moisturizing Detangling Shampoo
*Keracare Humetco Conditioner - I follow the application with a plastic cap - not heat
*Redken Extreme CAT, when needed. I think I will begin to use every other week.
*Pantene Pro-V Instant Defense Heat Protectant Spray - I use this as a detangler. I guess it also doubles as a leave-in, but it may not be strong enough.

Following the application of the Pantene spray, I allow my hair to air dry. I have been a faithful air dryer since last summer. I think my hair has benefitted immensely from this technique.

Once my hair is completely dry, I use a blow dryer on warm with a comb attachment, just to smooth it out, especially the roots. I then follow with a flat iron, also on the warm setting. I usually apply Ultra Sheen Extra Dry Hair and Scalp Formula or Dudley's Scalp Special on my scalp, massage it in, and then comb through to the ends before using the flat iron.

Using the blow dryer, followed by the flat iron, has not been a problem. In fact, I have been doing this since last summer. My hair actually looks nicer with a little heat. In fact, I tried a complete heat free regimen - for about a week. My hair was a mess. This does not work for everyone.

Anyway, any useful advice would be greatly appreciated.

northernbelle

WesternEyes

hi! are your ends split? maybe a trim would help. besides the heat protectanct spray, do you use any type of moisturizer on your ends? Maybe the cold weather is sapping the moisture from your hair, causing it to break more easily. You may have to apply exta moisture or some type of light oil to the ends.

northernbelle

WesternEyes said:
hi! are your ends split? maybe a trim would help. besides the heat protectanct spray, do you use any type of moisturizer on your ends? Maybe the cold weather is sapping the moisture from your hair, causing it to break more easily. You may have to apply exta moisture or some type of light oil to the ends.

Hi! And thank you for reading and responding to my post.

To answer your questions: My ends are split to some degree, and I do not use any type of moisturizer on my ends. I recently purchased the Elasta QP Mango Butter, which may help.

Thanks, again!

northernbelle

MissB

Northernbelle,

I haven't used the curling iron in awhile. But, when I do, I apply some of Dudley's cream press on the ends. This works like a charm thanks to Mr. Shamboosie. During the week, I will apply a little oil on my ends before going to bed. HTH.

MissB

NewlyNature12

Have you tried Profectiv Healthy Ends and Tigi Ego Boost? Those products together have made my ends much healthier. I have found that I need a really heavy product to coat my ends and the Profectiv does just that. I think there are other ladies who have had success with that product too. And I don't know if you even use S-Curl, but heavy amounts of this kind of product on the ends of my hair really made it really break off. Now I stay far far away from it! Sorry I can't be more help...I'm sure other ladies know a lot more. :)

SandySea

Hi! I'm sorry about the breakage--it happens to almost all of us. For me, Aphogee treatment has always helped to stop breakage. You can buy it at Sally's. A lot of ladies here use it and I've been using it since I was in middle school (many moons ago). Follow the treatment with a good moisturizer. This is really heavy duty and you may want to have a professional do it if you're a first-timer. I believe in this product because it has saved my hair many times. At the first sign of breakage I whip out my Aphogee. If your hair is weak from needing protein and not from split ends, I would say hold off on the trim or be conservative with how much you cut.

Good luck!