Hair Care for Type 4A Hair

Prim13

Hello. Currently, my hair is relaxed, very dry, and about 5 inches at its longest area on my head. I am in the military and I really cannot go natural with my hair type at this time, because I cannot wear the Army's beret with natural hair--unless I wear it short, which I do not want to do. I want my hair to grow long and healthy with a relaxer at this time--at least for the next 2 years. I was wondering if anybody out there could give me some good advice on good relaxers to use, good hair care regimens, and the best products to use. I have been debating should I cut it short and start at about 3 inches, or condition the heck out of what I have got and grow it from its current length with regular trims until it's totally healthy.

Has anyone heard of Phytospedific Relaxer Systems?

PLEASE SEND ADVICE.

I wish I could help, but I think so many things are trial and error. You will get good advice here, though, and that will help you to create a good regimen for you. If you put phytorelaxer in search, you will find good information. I have been giving it serious consideration myself based on Sherrylove's lovely results
smile.gif
. Ok, on to the help I can offer, lol--I was thinking while reading that maybe part of the reason you hair is dry is because of your Army beret. I know that the material can be drying, so even once you perfect a regimen and begin to retain moisture to help rid you of the dryness problem, the beret will continue to suck it dry. Therefore, I think you should consider sewing some silk or satin into the berets...if that's allowed. I'm not sure if it's against regulation, but if not, I think that would help tremendously. With regard to your length, I wouldn't cut it unless it's beyond repair. Nothing you wrote leads me to think that, so unless you have severe damage or splits, I think you should just try to revitalize what you have and go from there. HTH
smile.gif

Everything is trial and error. Try Mizani and Keracare products. That is what I use and and keeps my hair totally healthy. I personnally prefer Mizani products overall. I uses extra virgin olive oil also. I have not tried the Phyto Relaxer but I plan to the next time I relax. Read through some of the previous posts. There are great ideas here.
grin.gif

I always use extra virgen olive oil, and conditioner washes, air dried in a bun, also i was my hair every week with a pre-shampoo treatment of hot oil and i leave my hair in bantu knots or other protective styles like a bun, i have 3C and 4A hair and it is relaxed also. I get dark and lovely lye relaxers and my hair has grown about 6 inches since last august. The most important thing that helped me achieve my goal was NO HEAT!!!!

Well I am a 4a/b but what has worked for so many other 4's has not worked for me. i have very thin, dry hair and products that never seem to do me wrong are:
Affirm 5-in-1 cond.- strengthens
Nexxus Humectress- Best moisturizer I have ever used. I use it as a leave-in cond.
CON- Good shampoo, moistrizing.
Elasta Shampoo for Relaxed Hair- pretty good also.
Elasta QP relaxer for sensitive scalp- worked very well but my hairdresser did an excellent job applying it (which seems more important than the relaxer itself). She said I should look into the mizani relaxers though because she thinks it would work even better on my hair.
Finally, invest in a good ceramic iron if you use heat- one of the best purchases I ever made
smile.gif

So many other things, like Keracare, Profective, Dudley's, etc.. did not do a thing for me. But, like was said before, it's all about trial an error.

Prim13,

Welcome to LHCF. The Keracare line works well on my 4A relaxed hair. I also like Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo and the Elasta QP Shampoo for Relaxed Hair. You may want to invest in a heat cap or dryer for deep conditioning. Good luck on your healthy hair journey!

Just here to say welcome
clap.gif
Have you searched the archives for threads on regimens? Also look at the features of the month for regimen advice.

I would say to stay away from mineral oil and petroleum in products. Also to moisturize your hair daily. Be careful with heat and be gentle when you comb it. I brush mine in the shower under the running water with a denman brush. Use shampoos that are gentle and moisturizing. I like Nacidit Olive oil and Ion moisturizing.

Back