Hair care regimen update

northernbelle

This is a hair care regimen I recently adopted from the September 2002 issue of ESSENCE Magazine (Naomi Campbell is on the cover). Look for the "Hair Makeover" article, featuring Marvin Carrington as the stylist.

I tried the hair care regimen for the first time last evening (Tuesday, August 20), and loved the results.

Here is the regimen:

1. Wash with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo (I actually do not know what type of shampoo was used. So, I guess anything of quality goes).

2. Deep condition with Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise, mixed with L'oreal Nature's Therapy Hot Oil Treatment. Cover hair with a plastic cap, and sit under the hood dryer for 15 minutes. Rinse.

3. **Apply Joico K-Pak Reconstructor. Leave on for five minutes; rinse.
**I only plan to use the Joico if my hair is in need of protein. I will not use this unless *absolutely* necessary. Otherwise, it is a waste of product. Besides, this stuff is *strong*.

4. Apply Aveda Styling Curessence. It is a nice detangling agent (This is actually *not* a part of the regimen. However, I have used this product for several years, and it works for me).

5. Apply Aveda Phomollient. This is *nice*: it is a clear brownish liquid, but comes out of the pump as a foam! I used this for my wet roller set.

6. Set hair on rollers, and then sit under hood dryer for approximately 35-45 minutes. Read, pay bills, nap (lol)!

7. Remove rollers, and then apply Farouk Silk Therapy. This is great! Wonderfully moisturizing, with a nice, clean fresh scent. I massage this into the hair.

8. I do a doobie next: using a brush, I wrap my hair, and then return to the hood dryer for about ten minutes.

9. Style and finish.

Tools I use for the wet roller set:
rollers, rattail comb, Denman brush for doobie.

Prices for the products featured in ESSENCE article:

Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise: $9.99 @ Sally Beauty Supply

L'oreal Nature's Therapy Hot Oil Treatment: $3.99 @ Sally Beauty Supply

Joico K-Pak Reconstructor, 5.2 oz tube.: $15.95 @ Trade Secret

Aveda Phomollient: $12.00 @ any fine salon which sells Aveda products

Farouk Silk Therapy: 2.26 fl. oz.: $11.95 @ Trade Secret

***Some info. about me:

I do my hair the "old-fashioned" way (lol): weekly wash and deep condition, followed with a wet roller set. Nightly maintenance is a dry roller set with Isoplus Wrap Set Lotion, covered with a satin sleep cap.

I wear my hair down sometimes, such as for church, a club meeting, school events, etc., but wear it in a bun or French twist during the work week. I am a middle school/high school teacher, and these two styles allow me to stay focused on the kids rather than on my hair (Hee Hee!)

I work out six days a week, and manage my hair according to a strategy I adopted from the book,The Hair Rules. It is currently available at Barnes and Noble:

Following a workout, I blow-dry my hair using the "cool" setting. This not only feels great after a workout, but also removes the perspiration. I then apply natural oil to my hair, such as the Silk Therapy, and then put my hair back in a bun or French twist. The oil serves two purposes: to refresh the hair without build-up, and to minimize the dryness brought on by perspiration. Wearing a soft, terry cloth sweatband around the head at the hairline is also a good idea, as this absorbs the perspiration which accumulates there.

From 1990 to 1997, I wet roller set my hair faithfully, followed by the doobie wrap. In November, 1997, I stopped because I became overwhelmed with the amount of time I believed the entire process took. I *now* understand, thanks to the LHCF and hair research I have conducted this summer, how much better my former regimen was for my hair.

The only vitamins I take are Centrum Performance, and FemIron ( I have a mild iron deficiency). I do take these for my overall health, as I believe that anything I do to care for my body, mind and spirit will allow my hair and skin to flourish. I also try to eat whole foods, as opposed to processed foods, drink *lots* of water, minimize stress through prayer and meditation, and get plenty of sleep every night.

northernbelle

JenJen2721

Thanks for sharing that Northernbelle...I actually glanced at that article when I was about to check out at Walgreens yesterday and I was thinking to myself..."Why are they using so many conditioners?" I thought about trying a modified version myself.

northernbelle

I think the reason for so many conditioners was because the hair makeover candidate's hair was pretty damaged.

northernbelle