Hair Care Schedule Challenge -2022, 2023, 2024-

WL23

Both the BTMS and Cetearyl Alcohol are emulsifiers and conditioners. This kind of alcohol is actually safe to use. This article will explain more about good and bad alcohols.

Cetearyl Alcohol, also know as Cetostearyl Alcohol, is a vegetable-derived fatty alcohol mixture of approximately 30% cetyl alcohol and 70% stearyl alcohol. It is commonly used as an emulsion stabilizer and thickener. It gives an emollient feel to the skin and a conditioning effect to hair.

Behentrimonium Methosulfate is a vegetable based conditioning emulsifier. It can be used to emulsify lotions and scrubs but is more commonly used to make hair conditioners.
Behentrimonium Methosulfate is a quaternary ammonium salt derived from the natural plant oil Colza, or what is commonly known as Rapeseed Oil. It offers excellent detangling and conditions without the build-up often seen with other conditioning quaternary conditioning agents. BTMS-50 is capable of emulsifying high levels of silicone, and is also a fantastic emulsifier for use in skin care products.

I don't buy store bought hair products for myself and haven't in years. Basically, since the company I was relying on closed down for a few years.

Oh wow! I've never thought to try leaving aloe vera in my hair. I guess it wouldn't dry hard or crispy because it's mostly water.

In terms of clay masks, my favourite is kaolin clay. I find it the easiest to work with though the first time around it can be tricky if you've worked with rhassoul or bentonite. That's because it requires less water than the others. The amazing thing is that when you mix it, it mixes like lotion. So smooth and creamy. You can add a tiny amount of apple cider vinegar (ACV) to it to lower the pH if you'd like. I just use goat's milk powder with mine and that seems to work.
I thought I replied days ago, sorry I’m late!

Thank you for sharing the details :) When I get more time I’ll have to make my own products and not buy store bought, that would be amazing!

The fresh aloe definitely does not dry crisp. It’s sooooo soft!☺️ Let me know if it’s the same for you :)

The creamy clay does sound interesting. What is the notaciable difference in hair/scalp benefits vs. bentonite clay?

WL23

I completed today's hydrating mask: Kaolin clay + goat's milk powder, sukesh ayurveda, SAA, panthenol, plant keratin, hydrolyzed oats, cetrimonium chloride, calendula oil, inositol, and fragrance.
Wow so many ingredients I don’t know. I hope the hair came out super moist! :)

CurliDiva

My schedule is pretty simple, but I plan on trying the Capillary Schedule . I'm also doing ayurveda so I'm going to modify my ayurvedic routine to include the appropriate ingredients on the right days and see how it goes.
Hi @snoop, I'm going to give the Capillary Care Schedule a try, too!

I used an "Hydration" conditioner overnight on Tuesday and rinsed it out in morning. Today, I'm doing a Nutrition treatment.

snoop

Nice Kelp Powder. Is this more so for the scalp, strands, or both?

I use it mainly for scalp nutrition, but it's supposed to have benefits for hair, as well.

Kelp contains many of the essential nutrients to ensure hair growth. It’s high in iodine and a great source of iron, sodium, phosphorus and calcium and has a variety of vitamins, including A, B1, B2, C, D and E. Kelp also contains laminaria angustata, which is believed to thicken hair.

WL23

I use it mainly for scalp nutrition, but it's supposed to have benefits for hair, as well.

Kelp contains many of the essential nutrients to ensure hair growth. It’s high in iodine and a great source of iron, sodium, phosphorus and calcium and has a variety of vitamins, including A, B1, B2, C, D and E. Kelp also contains laminaria angustata, which is believed to thicken hair.
Thank you for sharing! :) When I start scalp detoxes, I’ll add it to the mix

WL23

Did rosemary water rinse. Now DCing with Aloe and heat. I should be more active posting next week. This has been a busy week. Hope everyone is doing well with their routines :)

WL23

Did rosemary water rinse. Now DCing with Aloe and heat :)

Aloe is a very easy DC! :)/I need to revise my schedule for the remainder of the month.

I think next time I will use Fenugreek water with Rosemary for Fenugreek-Rosemary rinse

The daily rinses are easy. Need to figure what to do with the remaining seeds. Don’t want to waste them. Maybe for leave in conditioner? Just need a fragrance for the smell :) or can the be frozen and blended later when needed for a mask?? Wonder how long they can stay in freezer. Need to do some research :)

WL23

Aloe is a very easy DC! I need to revise my schedule for the remainder of the month.

I think next time I will use Fenugreek water with Rosemary for Fenugreek-Rosemary rinse

The daily rinses are easy. Need to figure what to do with the remaining seeds. Don’t want to waste them. Maybe for leave in conditioner? Or can they be frozen and blended later when needed for a mask?? Wonder how long they can stay in freezer. Need to do some research :)

snoop

Aloe is a very easy DC! :)/I need to revise my schedule for the remainder of the month.

The daily rinses are easy. Need to figure what to do with the remaining seeds. Don’t want to waste them. Maybe for leave in conditioner? Just need a fragrance for the smell :) or can the be frozen and blended later when needed for a mask?? Wonder how long they can stay in freezer. Need to do some research :)

If you have a good blender, you can always boil the fenugreek seeds and then blend them in the water you boiled them in. You can add a bit of oil to make it creamy.

WL23

If you have a good blender, you can always boil the fenugreek seeds and then blend them in the water you boiled them in. You can add a bit of oil to make it creamy.
Thank you for the idea! :) I worry about boiling them. I’m thinking it will kill the “life” in the seeds or make it less potent I’m guessing. I have blended soaked seeds and strained them for a nice consistency. The process is a bit messy and time consuming. I’m hoping a French Press will make the process easier when I decide to get one.

WL23

Oh wow! You're doing herbal rinses almost everyday! You're already pretty much doing that now, right? Is your hair still in braids?
Yes, hair is still in braids. I changed my routine once I saw a LHCF member mention they do water rinses daily. Hopefully it’ll aid in accelerated hair growth :)

snoop

Happy Easter!☺️

Happy Easter!

I've been curious about daily water rinses. I've tried it a couple of times, but even this three day schedule seems to be playing with my hair. I"m not sure that I like it. Maybe my water is too hot and I need to do luke warm rinses, but twice per week has worked well for me before.

These past couple of weeks, after Sunday and Tuesday's treatments, I haven't been sealing my hair. I think this week I'll seal and see if my hair feels different. Because I don't shampoo I didn't want to add too much to my hair each week, but meh. Whatevs. Let's give it a shot!

Prepping my aloe vera and oils right now. I might add a bit of something something to it. I'll report back later and let you know where I land.

WL23

Happy Easter!

I've been curious about daily water rinses. I've tried it a couple of times, but even this three day schedule seems to be playing with my hair. I"m not sure that I like it. Maybe my water is too hot and I need to do luke warm rinses, but twice per week has worked well for me before.

These past couple of weeks, after Sunday and Tuesday's treatments, I haven't been sealing my hair. I think this week I'll seal and see if my hair feels different. Because I don't shampoo I didn't want to add too much to my hair each week, but meh. Whatevs. Let's give it a shot!

Prepping my aloe vera and oils right now. I might add a bit of something something to it. I'll report back later and let you know where I land.
I believe you’re right about the temperature of the water. Hot water raises the hair cuticles and make it more rough, tangled, and staticky. For my rinses, it feels cool to cold on my scalp since it’s coming from room temperature or refrigerated temperature.

Last week I wasn’t at my best either, there were a couple days I didn’t do my night routine :drunk:. I believe changing to the rinses threw me off because I didn’t know how to incorporate it with what I was already doing. I also started something new during a busy week.

Oooo! Aloe and oils, my favs :) How are you using the aloe?

I forgot to switch my DC to Monday and Thursday/Friday this week*

Last edited:

snoop

I ended up making a mask from fresh aloe vera, cornstarch, meadowfoam oil, safflower oil, and black cumin seed oil. It had so much slip and my roots were more matted than I thought and so I finger detangled with it, then steamed for about 20 minutes then rinsed it out.

I see a number of videos on Insta where people add cornstarch (and water) to the ayurvedic masks and I wanted to try it. I've also seen recipes for the capillary schedule where people use cornstarch. It's supposed to be hydrating. I moisturized and sealed and GHM overnight and my hair feels fluffy, but it's still wet, so we'll see how it feels later today when it dries.

WL23

I love fresh aloe, how did you like it? :)

I forgot about GHM. How often do you do GHM? I might want to try that in May.

Surprising to learn cornstarch is hydrating. That’s good because it’s really affordable. Once I start wear buns, I’ll try it in Ayurvedic masks.

Fresh Aloe is really hydrating alone, have you tried Fresh Aloe without cornstarch?

Hope you hair feels soft when dries today :)

WL23

Having a written schedule is keeping me more accountable.
Nice! Can you post your calendar? :)

Right now I’m Heat DCing with Fresh Aloe, Fenugreek, Spirulina, MSM, and coconut glycerin. I usually do fresh aloe alone. This time I bought an aloe leaf 2 weeks in advance and it wasn’t as fresh. It was a bit watery. Felt like I need to add things to the aloe to get more benefit from this DC

WL23

I learned today about Rosemary spray. I believe using sprays with Rosemary will be better than rinses. The rinse seems to be wasteful.

Not sure when I’ll make the change. Will def post on here when regimen has changed.

Will still do water rinses, but do not want to use plain water. Thinking of mixing ACV, a moisturizing oil, and possibly Tea Tree

CurliDiva

Here's the planner I'm using, and I'm following the Caillary hair schedule:

Attachments

• 20220418_173804.jpg
    20220418_173804.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Hyd.jpg
    Hyd.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 9

snoop

I learned today about Rosemary spray. I believe using sprays with Rosemary will be better than rinses. The rinse seems to be wasteful.

Not sure when I’ll make the change. Will def post on here when regimen has changed.

Will still do water rinses, but do not want to use plain water. Thinking of mixing ACV, a moisturizing oil, and possibly Tea Tree

Out of curiosity, why not plain water?