Hair Care Schedule Challenge -2022, 2023, 2024-

snoop

I love fresh aloe, how did you like it? :)

I forgot about GHM. How often do you do GHM? I might want to try that in May.

Surprising to learn cornstarch is hydrating. That’s good because it’s really affordable. Once I start wear buns, I’ll try it in Ayurvedic masks.

Fresh Aloe is really hydrating alone, have you tried Fresh Aloe without cornstarch?

Hope you hair feels soft when dries today :)

I like how my hair feels now that it's dry. I think if I were to moisturize and seal one more time it would be where I want it, but I'm treating my hair again tomorrow so I didn't bother.

I don't think this three day washing schedule is doing much for me since my schedule was already pretty balanced so I think that next month I'll go back to once per week or at most twice.

I've used fresh aloe before but in my ayurvedic mixes in place of water. I like one stop shopping when I wash my hair since I feel like I don't have much time for multiple long steps. I've been trying to create masks that are hydrating or nourishing depending on what I need without having to do a cleansing step then a hydrating or nourishing step. So far it's working.

The thing that I miss most is heavily sealing my hair between washes, which is why I'll cut back next month. Maybe next month I'll try scalp massages and brushing instead. I definitely need consistency in that department.

WL23

I like how my hair feels now that it's dry. I think if I were to moisturize and seal one more time it would be where I want it, but I'm treating my hair again tomorrow so I didn't bother.

I don't think this three day washing schedule is doing much for me since my schedule was already pretty balanced so I think that next month I'll go back to once per week or at most twice.

I've used fresh aloe before but in my ayurvedic mixes in place of water. I like one stop shopping when I wash my hair since I feel like I don't have much time for multiple long steps. I've been trying to create masks that are hydrating or nourishing depending on what I need without having to do a cleansing step then a hydrating or nourishing step. So far it's working.

The thing that I miss most is heavily sealing my hair between washes, which is why I'll cut back next month. Maybe next month I'll try scalp massages and brushing instead. I definitely need consistency in that department.
Using Fresh Aloe in Ayurvedic mixes sounds so nice! Will be excited to try when I can do henna gloss treatments.

Marking routine simple as possible is best for consistency.

Definitely try scalp messages :) In what way would you brush your hair?

snoop

Using Fresh Aloe in Ayurvedic mixes sounds so nice! Will be excited to try when I can do henna gloss treatments.

Marking routine simple as possible is best for consistency.

Definitely try scalp messages :) In what way would you brush your hair?

I would either mist my scalp with warm water, start scalp stimulation on the shower, or do full water only rinses to soften my sebum (natural scalp oils) and then I would use a goat hair brush to distribute the sebum along my length. While doing that, I'm sure that it would provide some scalp stimulation as well.

I bought the brush for this reason second half of last last but only opened the box earlier this year and tried it once. It's so soft. It's a natural baby brush so you can imagine just how soft it is. I was surprised! But then not because I think I have a makeup brush made from goat's hair. In other words, it isn't as stiff as boar bristle so I don't have to worry about it ripping through my strands (which is why I was hesitant to open the box). It's definitely far too soft to style hair with.

snoop

I'm feeling kinda lazy, so instead of doing an ayurvedic mask for my hydration day, I'm doing a tea rinse.

Hibiscus, fenugreek, black tea, honey, SAA.

WL23

I would either mist my scalp with warm water, start scalp stimulation on the shower, or do full water only rinses to soften my sebum (natural scalp oils) and then I would use a goat hair brush to distribute the sebum along my length. While doing that, I'm sure that it would provide some scalp stimulation as well.

I bought the brush for this reason second half of last last but only opened the box earlier this year and tried it once. It's so soft. It's a natural baby brush so you can imagine just how soft it is. I was surprised! But then not because I think I have a makeup brush made from goat's hair. In other words, it isn't as stiff as boar bristle so I don't have to worry about it ripping through my strands (which is why I was hesitant to open the box). It's definitely far too soft to style hair with.
That’s very interesting. When I thought of the brush, I must admit I winced a bit thinking of breakage, lol. Glass it’s very soft and for stimulation :)

WL23

Yesterday I did not do a rinse. I’m concerned if the Rosemary I have left is safe to use. I had them in mason jars but forgot to put some in the fridge. Some look a little cloudy why I was afraid to use it. I’m think I should make a new batch to start using the spray.

Im also doing a home project to reorganize kitchen and home. Especially kitchen for better eating. Definitely taking a lot more time than expected, why I haven’t been as active as expected. Hope I finish tomorrow to be more.

Hope everyone has a bliss day :)

snoop

You had fresh rosemary in a mason jar or rosemary tea? The tea you could always try freezing into ice cubes next time. The fresh ones, I'd probably just dry and then be done with it. Or buy it dry, then no worries. A closed mason jar with fresh leaves would create mold since the fresh leaves would have water in them still.

Today I did my nutrition mask: I used corn starch as a base and added my DIY ayurvedic oil along with some hydrolyzed oat protein. I didn't feel like doing a full wash so I just rinsed it out since I'll wash my hair on Sunday.

So after using the corn starch earlier this week, my hair felt really smooth. Even after the tea rinse two days ago, my hair held the smoothness. My hair feels good now. The only thing that I noticed when taking down my twists this morning, is that my hair had some flakes in it. Not dry scalp, but something either wasn't mixed properly or dried and flaked in my hair. So it was either the aloe, the corn starch, the combo of the aloe with the corn starch and maybe the oil? I don't know. When I went to rinse my hair today the corn starch had dried on my forehead and was flaking so maybe? BUT, as soon as it touches the water again it gets activated and the slip! Wow! It's amazing! I think that I liked the slip in the aloe/corn starch combo rather that then corn starch/oil combo. I'm just hoping that I don't find the little flakes again in my hair because I would love to keep this in my back pocket as a detangler or even just to use with my ayurvedic herbs.

WL23

Thanks for telling me! I was almost tempted to risk using it. Wouldn’t fresh be the most potent?

Glad it went very well :) Are you saying cornstarch is responsible for the slip? I would think it’s the Aloe. Aloe gives a amazing slip straight from the plant or straight from the plant lightly blended

snoop

Thanks for telling me! I was almost tempted to risk using it. Wouldn’t fresh be the most potent?

Glad it went very well :) Are you saying cornstarch is responsible for the slip? I would think it’s the Aloe. Aloe gives a amazing slip straight from the plant or straight from the plant lightly blended

The fresh might be more potent, but how much more? We're ok to use ayurvedic powders and think we have potent ingredients...no one is out here trying to from amla trees or bhringraj flowers. Right? :drunk: It might keep a bit longer in the fridge. Just don't risk the mold by putting the fresh plant in a jar. I don't want you to run into issues. :bighug:

Both the aloe and the corn starch have good slip. I prefer the aloe for the nutrients, but I think the cornstarch might be more smoothing in the strands. It's also a cheap alternative if you're in a bind. I'd love to have regular access to fresh aloe, but this makes a good backup ingredient.

WL23

I understand, definitely don’t want to take risks. I going to use it as a tea. For water rinses going to use Fenugreek water. I think I should have my finalized routine by next week in time for May :)

snoop

I feel like my strands are smoother. My hair doesn't feel overly soft, but it does feel nice. The lack of fluffiness could be because I'm not "properly" moisturizing after washing/rinsing it. I keep thinking why bother if I'm going to wash everything out in two days. Or maybe it's in my head. It's sometimes hard for me to tell when my hair feels soft while it's still in twists. I think it's getting "flatter" which is so weird for me...I have 4c hair. "Flat" and "natural" have never been part of the same sentence for me, before.

WL23

I feel like my strands are smoother. My hair doesn't feel overly soft, but it does feel nice. The lack of fluffiness could be because I'm not "properly" moisturizing after washing/rinsing it. I keep thinking why bother if I'm going to wash everything out in two days. Or maybe it's in my head. It's sometimes hard for me to tell when my hair feels soft while it's still in twists. I think it's getting "flatter" which is so weird for me...I have 4c hair. "Flat" and "natural" have never been part of the same sentence for me, before.
Nice your strands feel smoother :) Two days is a long time in terms of hair care. Our ends need the moisture, the effort is worth while. I def get your feeling of why the work and product usage if in 2 days it will be washed, but it’s worth it for the long term. When goals are reached, you can spread out the regimen to be more simple :) I think I’m getting closer to what my regimen will be. It really takes thought because you want to be practical for consistency.

This is all new and it’s trial and error and learning a lot in the process to get a good foundation for a growing regimen. I should have May schedule up by Sunday next week.

Happy Sunday :)

snoop

I'm in the last week of (month 1) of the capillary schedule. I completed a hydration mask today: AVG + Honey, SAA, inositol, hydrolyzed oats, panthenol, cetrimonium chloride.

My hair feels soft and smooth. I'm at a crossroads with how I want to develop my schedule for next month. At first, I didn't see a big deal in doing the schedule, but last week was the turning point. I'm not sure if it was the ingredients or if my hair hit a new hydration level. Three days a week feels like a lot, though. I'll play around with the schedule to see what it would look like if I switched to a twice per week schedule.

snoop

Nice your strands feel smoother :) Two days is a long time in terms of hair care. Our ends need the moisture, the effort is worth while. I def get your feeling of why the work and product usage if in 2 days it will be washed, but it’s worth it for the long term. When goals are reached, you can spread out the regimen to be more simple :) I think I’m getting closer to what my regimen will be. It really takes thought because you want to be practical for consistency.

This is all new and it’s trial and error and learning a lot in the process to get a good foundation for a growing regimen. I should have May schedule up by Sunday next week.

Happy Sunday :)

I'm not too worried over the two days. Before I started this particular schedule I realized that if I was careful about how I did my hair, I could go the whole week without remoisturizing! :happydance: This was new for me, but I liked it. But you're right, playing around with moisture isn't a joke. I tend to use a lot of product in general. So instead of being HEAVY handed, I was just heavy handed. :lol:

WL23

This week has been really busy trying to reorganize everything for lifestyle changes. I only did 1/2 DCs with heat last week. This week I focused on finalizing a home projects and fine tuning hair care regimen. Looking forward to consistency in May :)

snoop

Nourishing treatment, today: I used kaolin clay + Henna Sooq Goddess herbs. I think that the nourishing treatment is supposed to be mainly oils, so I made sure that when I moisturized my hair that I was a bit lighter on moisturizer and heavier on tallow. I also added some DIY serum to my scalp. I'll wear a plastic steam cap overnight to steam everything in.

WL23

Nourishing treatment, today: I used kaolin clay + Henna Sooq Goddess herbs. I think that the nourishing treatment is supposed to be mainly oils, so I made sure that when I moisturized my hair that I was a bit lighter on moisturizer and heavier on tallow. I also added some DIY serum to my scalp. I'll wear a plastic steam cap overnight to steam everything in.
Don’t you love Henna Sooq! :)

I need to learn how to make serums. You need to sell your own products!

Last night I GHM with Aloe Rosemary spray. Head is itchy/tingly this morning. Does that mean growth? :)

I'm so ready to start doing clay masks. I think I’ll be starting next year or in Dec/Jan. I have to be patient to stick to the plan:pray:lol

Last edited:

snoop

So today is the last day of my schedule and I'm going to do the "reconstruction" treatment. I'm making a protein treatment using Knox gelatin. I'll get back to you later with how it went and what I put in it.

I've decided that I don't want to do another month of three days a week of washing my hair. It's too much. Maybe I'll try again later this year. I think I'm now burnt on it so instead of two days like I thought, I'm going straight back to one for now.

Is it OK that next month I focus on internal things like water, protein, and scalp massage or something? I'll also make a schedule for my wash day so that I can still do hydrating, nourishing, and reconstructive treatments.

snoop

So today is the last day of my schedule and I'm going to do the "reconstruction" treatment. I'm making a protein treatment using Knox gelatin. I'll get back to you later with how it went and what I put in it.

I've decided that I don't want to do another month of three days a week of washing my hair. It's too much. Maybe I'll try again later this year. I think I'm now burnt on it so instead of two days like I thought, I'm going straight back to one for now.

Is it OK that next month I focus on internal things like water, protein, and scalp massage or something? I'll also make a schedule for my wash day so that I can still do hydrating, nourishing, and reconstructive treatments.

So the mix looked pretty good, but I think that it could have been more strengthening. I used Knox gelatin, xanthan gum, ACV, honey as per this recipe, but I added BTMS and inositol to it.

WL23

Glad you notice some improvements with your calendar. It’s really helpful to see what works and doesn’t to develop a consistent routine :)

Know gelatin sounds very interesting, hope it goes well :)

Sure, a calendar towards haircare for growth, health, and consistency is the key :)

WL23

So the mix looked pretty good, but I think that it could have been more strengthening. I used Knox gelatin, xanthan gum, ACV, honey as per this recipe, but I added BTMS and inositol to it.
I though Knox gelatin was a product, lol.

Inositol, that’s a product that can be consumed, right? You have a lot of ingredients!

snoop

I though Knox gelatin was a product, lol.

Inositol, that’s a product that can be consumed, right? You have a lot of ingredients!

You are absolutely right about the Knox. It is (unflavoured) gelatin for cooking, but gelatin is collagen. There are earlier posts on this forum about people drinking it... but you could just buy collagen to drink.

You can also consume inositol, but I don't. Remember those rice water threads...? Why ferment the rice for the inositol when you can just buy it?

I was using an app for the capillary schedule and the app says that I'm done! :happydance: I thought that it was a continuous thing, but it's really set up to help improve your hair and you do it for as many cycles as needed. So I feel less guilty about stopping it and would consider trying it again in the future if I thought my hair needed something extra. I will continue to do it one week per month so that I'm not randomly throwing ingredients together... well...maybe a little bit randomly... :lol:

WL23

You are absolutely right about the Knox. It is (unflavoured) gelatin for cooking, but gelatin is collagen. There are earlier posts on this forum about people drinking it... but you could just buy collagen to drink.

You can also consume inositol, but I don't. Remember those rice water threads...? Why ferment the rice for the inositol when you can just buy it?

I was using an app for the capillary schedule and the app says that I'm done! :happydance: I thought that it was a continuous thing, but it's really set up to help improve your hair and you do it for as many cycles as needed. So I feel less guilty about stopping it and would consider trying it again in the future if I thought my hair needed something extra. I will continue to do it one week per month so that I'm not randomly throwing ingredients together... well...maybe a little bit randomly... :lol:
You know so much :) I had no idea about the gelatin.

I heard of rice water. Didn’t know the active ingredient was inositol. Do you know what it does for the hair?

Glad you’re done and guilt free and random is not always a bad habit :)

I’ll be working on my schedule today. Hope we have some good consistency with gains in May :)

snoop

You know so much :) I had no idea about the gelatin.

I heard of rice water. Didn’t know the active ingredient was inositol. Do you know what it does for the hair?

Glad you’re done and guilt free and random is not always a bad habit :)

I’ll be working on my schedule today. Hope we have some good consistency with gains in May :)

I don't actually know that much. But I do like trying new things and will read up to see if and how ingredients can be used. I don't use commercial products and so in order for me to buy ingredients I need to know what they do. I just bought a bunch of proteins so I hope that I can make my own protein treatment by this time next month.

With rice water, everyone keeps talking about how inositol is the ingredient that helps your hair to grow. I believe that it's a sugar. I'm not entirely sure what it does for hair, but if I remember correctly, people sometimes take it for PCOS. After doing the schedule, I've learned that sugars help to soften hair and add moisture (I guess as humectants?) I'll find out more.

snoop

I realize that I'm scheduled to trim my ends at the beginning of next month and so I won't put my hair in mini twists this weekend after all! Yay! I'll instead create some medium twists that I can keep in my hair for the next two weeks.

In the month of May I'll continue with the capillary schedule 1x per week and concentrate on giving myself scalp massages and brushing my hair for sebum distribution 3 times per week.

MaySchedule2022.jpg

WL23

I don't actually know that much. But I do like trying new things and will read up to see if and how ingredients can be used. I don't use commercial products and so in order for me to buy ingredients I need to know what they do. I just bought a bunch of proteins so I hope that I can make my own protein treatment by this time next month.

With rice water, everyone keeps talking about how inositol is the ingredient that helps your hair to grow. I believe that it's a sugar. I'm not entirely sure what it does for hair, but if I remember correctly, people sometimes take it for PCOS. After doing the schedule, I've learned that sugars help to soften hair and add moisture (I guess as humectants?) I'll find out more.
Thanks for sharing :)

WL23

I realize that I'm scheduled to trim my ends at the beginning of next month and so I won't put my hair in mini twists this weekend after all! Yay! I'll instead create some medium twists that I can keep in my hair for the next two weeks.

In the month of May I'll continue with the capillary schedule 1x per week and concentrate on giving myself scalp massages and brushing my hair for sebum distribution 3 times per week.

View attachment 480371
Yay to scalp massages! ☺️

WL23

4CE21F7E-2104-4891-8554-70105CE6F882.jpeg
Took more time than expected to think of this months schedule. I want to be practical to follow the routine. I incorporated henna! :) Cheers to a consistent month of health haircare :)

Last edited: