■■ Hair Care Tips: 10 Must-Dos ■■

hope5506

1. Use the right hare care products for your specific hair type
If your hair is damaged, dry or color-treated, use hair care products formulated to repair this damage and add much-needed shine and resiliency. On the other hand, if your hair is oily, use a deep-cleansing shampoo and light conditioner to keep your hair looking its best. The right products should be at the base of your hair care routine.

2. Get a trim every 6 to 8 weeks
Get a trim every 6 to 8 weeks as part of your regular hair care routine. Even if you are growing your hair longer, it is still vital to make a routine trim a major part of your hair care routine. Snipping ends before they split will keep your hair looking healthy and save you hair care headaches in the end.

3. Use hair care products containing sunscreen
Protect your hair with hair care products that contain sunscreen.

4. Shampoo your hair only when it is dirty
Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to shampoo your hair daily. Doing so can make your hair dry and hard to work with.

5. Turn to a professional for all of your hair care needs
Yes, kitchen beauticians and friends do not cost as much as putting your hair care needs in the hands of a qualified professional, but they often cause blunders that end up costing you more money than if you went to the salon in the first place.

6. Use professional conditioning hair coloring systems
There are many hair coloring systems on the market, and the ones you choose can have a great impact on your hair care costs. Simply put: choose a system that causes minimal damage and conditions hair as it colors. This will save you money when it comes to conditioning hair care products.

7. Stick with one chemical service
In order to keep your hair as healthy as it can be, ask your hair care professional to recommend only one chemical service: color or perm. By only using the service that is perfect for your particular style and needs, you will ensure that your hair stays healthier.

8. Add texture
By adding texture to your style, through perm or cut, you can greatly reduce the time it takes to style and perform your daily hair care routine. And you will look sensational.

9. Choose hair color that compliments your style
With all of the professional coloring techniques available, this part of your hair care regimen has never been easier. From chunky highlights to soft color, you can greatly enhance your style with the right technique.

10. Use a wide-toothed comb when your hair is wet
Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb when it is wet to prevent breakage. The only time you should use a brush during your hair care routine is when your hair is barely damp or dry.

MoniintheMiddle

adding to what Qualitee said...not only are most members on this board kitchen beauticians....our hair is thriving. A lot of us came here and started doing our own hair because of abuse/beglect/damage....whatever you want to call it, by a "professional"

swalker31

Hi Hope,
I must chime in and touch and agree with Moniinthemiddle and Qualitee. The majority of the members are kitchen beauticians because some not all of the pro's have no clue on the specific care of our hair. In my experience I see some professional stylist as cookie cutter stylist; what they do for one they do for all. This forum has taught me to listen to what my hair likes and go with the regimen that benefits it. There is no way I will turn to a professional for all my hair care needs.

cocoadiva2

"Professionals" took my hair from shoulder length down to ear length! :nono:. With their professional constant trims and their professional lack of neutralizing after my perms.

I'm going to sit right in my kitchen with my laptop and this board and get my length back. Thanks anyways.

MsEllie

Hope, I am one of those kitchen beauticians - I just fired my beautician because paying $80-$90 every two weeks was a little much and as soon as my hair have a problem and I go to my PROFESSIONAL beautician who doesn't have a clue :wallbash: as to why my hair is breaking doesn't make any sense. I have been doing all my care now myself and my hair is thriving doing great growing back from the damage I let my professional do because she had no clue of how to fix it when I told her I was having breakage :sad:. I did nothing at home but "grease" and tie it down...Now I am doing it all - I am transitioning from a perm that burnt my nape really bad - my beautician did not offer a protein treatment or anything to combat the breakage - just stared at me and indicated "I have no clue why your hair is breaking - I do the same thing to my other clients and their hair is fine" After that visit I came home (and never went back) and searched black hair care, found this site and BHM (I :grin: am my own beautician now) my hair is growing and there is no breakage from all the information I have researched and applied to my hair from these sites. I had a standing 2 week appointment with mine, she lost a really good paying customer... Now I spend my money on hair products!

Last edited:

simcha

Yeah, I'm not diggin' on 2,3 or 5 and on the fence about 6, since I henna my hair and henna isn't exactly "professional"....