Hair Coloring HELP!

ksimmi82

Hi Guys!
I just have a quick question…I recently dyed my hair oriental black this previous December and I feel that it is time for another application. So….when re-coloring natural hair should I apply the dye to the entire length of the hair (root to tip) or just the new growth? In the past I would just squirt that dye all over the place (including the ceiling and mirrors) and not care about the aftermath, but since staring my HHJ I just want to avoid a potential setback. Thanks in advance for all your advice!

Hi Guys!
I just have a quick question…I recently dyed my hair oriental black this previous December and I feel that it is time for another application. So….when re-coloring natural hair should I apply the dye to the entire length of the hair (root to tip) or just the new growth? In the past I would just squirt that dye all over the place (including the ceiling and mirrors) and not care about the aftermath, but since staring my HHJ I just want to avoid a potential setback. Thanks in advance for all your advice!

I would say new growth only. The rest of the formula would slide down the shaft when you rinse it out.

I think just like with a relaxer you would over process the hair. I've never used permanent dye on my hair, so I don't know for sure.

You're going to put it on the roots for. But when you have 5 minutes left of processing time, you're going to smooth the color from you roots to the rest of your hair. You do that to make sure you don't jet black roots and sorta black roots where the older dyed hair is. Even black dyed hair can fade a little.

What type of dye are you using? Semipermanent? Permanent? If you're using permanent, you may want to consider semipermanent since it's less harsh then permanent. In my experience, jet black semipermanent will slightly fade, but it's not going anywhere. Red & brown semipermanents will wash out over time. Black will hold on to dear life. Unless you have hair cuticles of steel, you really don't have to bother with permanent black dye. Not that I know from experience or anything *cough*

Thanks so much guys for your responses!..
Lady Speedstick,
I'm using Bigen permanent hair color from Sallys...it works pretty well...the ONLY thing is..I have to buy like 4 boxes for one application!..hopefully by just doing my new growth I can save some money.

Thanks so much guys for your responses!..
Lady Speedstick,
I'm using Bigen permanent hair color from Sallys...it works pretty well...the ONLY thing is..I have to buy like 4 boxes for one application!..hopefully by just doing my new growth I can save some money.

4 boxes?!? Has LHCF been working too well for ya? :laugh:

Hmmm, never used Bigen so I can't say for certain if they fade or not. Okay, my revised suggestion. Go for the roots. If the roots end up one color and the length another color, grab some black semipermanent to correct the length. Hopefully it won't even be an issue.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love it if you sent me a PM and let me know how it turns out. :grin:

Girl...LHCF is working great!..BUT I don't know if Bigen was created for Barbie dolls because 1 box literally is less than about half a cup!...I love it because it has no harsh chemicals and is comparable to henna...I will definately let you know how it turns out, I'm kinda new to all the features of this site so you will have to teach me how to PM you..lol

Back