Hair consultation today...low porosity problem

mdcitygurl

So I couldn't take it anymore and sprung for a consult. Broke down this weekend over all the breakage...she had me back track my steps and found the culprit.

About 2 weeks ago I wanted to clarify and used vinegar with my shampoo. She said I basically sealed my cuticle with too much vinegar. Even with a deep condish, she said it didn't penetrate the hair. So, my hair has been getting worse since then, and all the products I purchased did nothing.

So now, I begin the baking soda deep condish with olive oil replenishing pack. I'll follow with a acv rinse and pray.

mdcitygurl: Where do you go for a consultation like that? A trichologist? I'm just curious. We don't have anything like that out here.

I didn't see a trichologist...I went to a salon in Georgetown to get a consult on what to do. I became so fed up and didn't want to buy yet another product. The girl was nice and gave a few options. What I really appreciateed is her telling me to spend less than 5.00 on acv and baking soda and the olive oil reconstructer and the steps to take.

That right there impressed me because she could have had me spend a few hundred right then.

Not checking ph of products, and I'm a product junkie.

The deep baking soda condish worked last night. Left in for 3 hours, stayed under dryer bonnet for 30 min. Rinsed good, then lastly, rinsed with acv.

Was also told not to use any protein gel, that I usually slather on, until after my next baking soda condish.

I'm gonna mix honey and jbco for gel.

My obvious problemed hair was in top. It's very soft now, not hard and brittle. However, although much better, its not a complete turn around. When I combed it I really noticed the difference because there is about 75% less breakage. A few hairs still broke, and I made note of where it happened.

I'm wondering how long to wait between baking soda deep condish. Mid-week or next weekend?

Not checking ph of products, and I'm a product junkie.

The deep baking soda condish worked last night. Left in for 3 hours, stayed under dryer bonnet for 30 min. Rinsed good, then lastly, rinsed with acv.

Was also told not to use any protein gel, that I usually slather on, until after my next baking soda condish.

I'm gonna mix honey and jbco for gel.

I am low porosity too and I have jumped ship on EcoStyler...too drying. What did she say about protein in general? That ORS has protein doesn't it?

She said if you suffer from low porosity you should use protein only during deep conditioning. Until the hair can become normal products simply lie on top of hair and not really penetrate it. We must find balance? But the more she used the word balance, the more questions I had.

How do you really balance problem hair? Time, trial and error. That's exactly what turned me into a junkie...trial and error.

So today, I made a gel from jbco and raw honey and bunned it. I refuse to buy anything else...tomorrow, I'm doing another condish. Pray and cross fingers for me.

I have attached 2 photos before my baking soda condish. 1 is from a 70s party where I wore my hair in Afro, the other is about 3 days after a flat iron ran through it. Will post the after effects tomorrow of the condish.

ForumRunner_20120307_231033.jpg

ForumRunner_20120307_231110.jpg

mdcitygurl, I use baking soda conditioners, every week in fact. My hair is very low porosity and baking soda is the only thing I have found that opens the cuticle sufficiently. It is how I deep condition. DC's are a two step process for me, protein first, then baking soda conditioning. I've been doing this for at least two years (probably longer) with no ill effect. It doesn't loosen my curl pattern but it does reduce frizz and allows my hair to feel fully moisturized and strong. Unlike some, I do not follow with an ACV rinse (to close the cuticle). My hair hates ACV.
I hope you continue to find improvement with this method.

mdcitygurl, I use baking soda conditioners, every week in fact. My hair is very low porosity and baking soda is the only thing I have found that opens the cuticle sufficiently. It is how I deep condition. DC's are a two step process for me, protein first, then baking soda conditioning. I've been doing this for at least two years (probably longer) with no ill effect. It doesn't loosen my curl pattern but it does reduce frizz and allows my hair to feel fully moisturized and strong. Unlike some, I do not follow with an ACV rinse (to close the cuticle). My hair hates ACV.
I hope you continue to find improvement with this method.

suns4i6e

Your hair is gorgeous!!!!!

These were very good tips. Would you mind sharing what exactly you put in your baking soda conditioner as well as what protein conditioner you use? I have only done one once and I liked the results. I never thought about doing them every week but I think my hair may benefit from it. I aint really feeling the ACV either but I think I did it not really knowing that my cuticle was already closed and wasn't letting moisture in to begin with.

Aww, thank you *Frisky*, very sweet.

This began with my trying something ages ago called the Cherry Lola Treatment which some on the board may remember. The original recipe consisted 2 parts yogurt, 1/2 part baking soda and 1/2 Bragg Amino Acid. The intent is to reduce frizz and enhance definition. The amino acid made it soft protein treatment. My hair said 'p-yuck' to the yogurt. It felt hard-ish and the yogurt was runny. I opted to try it with a nice moisturizing conditioner. This yielded soft, moisturized hair that appeared less frizzy. My hair often has a slight frizz halo when wet. That vanished after this conditioner. I've been using it ever since. I never measure so I'm not sure exactly how much is used but honestly I'm sure it's no more than a small teaspoon of bs and a big squirt of amino acid mixed with ample conditioner.

I've more recently realized my hair loves protein, not like, but love. So, I now begin with Nexxus Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor. This has almost the same exact ingredients as Nexxus Emergencee and comes in a much larger bottle. I leave that in for about 15 minutes (w/ heat cap) rinse and then apply the amended Cherry Lola concoction (w/ heat cap). I'm left with really strong, moisturized curls. This is my deep conditioning process.

If you are looking for a protein conditioner there are plenty of good ones. In addition to the Nexxus mentioned above I keep the below in rotation:

Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balance (AOGPB) - very light, balancing
Curl Junkie Repair Me - slightly heavier, still very balancing
Spiral Solutions Repairing Treatment - similar results as with Curl Junkie
Megatek (without additives) - heavier, may require moisturizing cond after use

Please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions.

i have low porosity and have been struggling with protein overload. i tried the salt in conditioner mixer and it worked like a charm, but recently, that didn't save me either. i am not buying anything else and i also called for a consultation, but the stylist hasn't called me back yet. right now i have my hair in twists with some oil and protein free conditioner. the water here is hard and made my problem worse when i rinsed. so i need to buy a couple of gallons of distilled water to rinse my hair out.

OP, this VERY thing happened to me with that youtube girl's leave in. i can't think of her name, but her stuff messed me up. It took a long time to get back on track. I'm glad you're having success!

ETA: Oh yeah, Kimmaytube is her name.

OP, this VERY thing happened to me with that youtube girl's leave in. i can't think of her name, but her stuff messed me up. It took a long time to get back on track. I'm glad you're having success!

ETA: Oh yeah, Kimmaytube is her name.

Cherrypie

yeah that threw my off too. all of that aloe vera juice! it just closed my hair cuticles even more. that stuff is for normal or high porosity folks. we need something more ph balanced or alkaline to open up the cuticle for moisture to penetrate better.

Exactly! It's so confusing when it happens too. That's why I think, even before we START looking for products, we need to check our porosity. It's the first thing that should happen when starting a hair journey.:yep:

Cherrypie

yeah that threw my off too. all of that aloe vera juice! it just closed my hair cuticles even more. that stuff is for normal or high porosity folks. we need something more ph balanced or alkaline to open up the cuticle for moisture to penetrate better.

Today I did another deep condish. I followed the consults directions to the tee, and then did a test.

1- measured 1/2 cup baking soda, mixed one full cup of ion moisture conditioner w/ 1 tablespoon of jojoba, 1 of castle, 1 of grapeseed. Mixed well!

2- plastic cap, under dryer 45 min. Rinsed well, then rinse with acv.

3- towel dry. Allowed to air dry.

Felt like air. Light and soft.

Did test...first of all, the hairs were super strong. Before I could pull a hair to test it. This time it was difficult and big difference.

Placed hair in water, it sunk to middle, not bottom or top, meaning it now absorbs some moisture.

Lastly, I combed hair and had literally 2 broken hairs, 1 shed hair with white bulb.

The Stylist also mentioned how people never really measure items. For me that is true, because I have a habit of guesstimating. I have started measuring now. She said some people think, I will use a little more to get faster results, or less and then it doesn't work.

I am so happy, I think Imma just pick up takeout for family and start weekend early!!

Aww, thank you *Frisky*, very sweet.

This began with my trying something ages ago called the Cherry Lola Treatment which some on the board may remember. The original recipe consisted 2 parts yogurt, 1/2 part baking soda and 1/2 Bragg Amino Acid. The intent is to reduce frizz and enhance definition. The amino acid made it soft protein treatment. My hair said 'p-yuck' to the yogurt. It felt hard-ish and the yogurt was runny. I opted to try it with a nice moisturizing conditioner. This yielded soft, moisturized hair that appeared less frizzy. My hair often has a slight frizz halo when wet. That vanished after this conditioner. I've been using it ever since. I never measure so I'm not sure exactly how much is used but honestly I'm sure it's no more than a small teaspoon of bs and a big squirt of amino acid mixed with ample conditioner.

I've more recently realized my hair loves protein, not like, but love. So, I now begin with Nexxus Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor. This has almost the same exact ingredients as Nexxus Emergencee and comes in a much larger bottle. I leave that in for about 15 minutes (w/ heat cap) rinse and then apply the amended Cherry Lola concoction (w/ heat cap). I'm left with really strong, moisturized curls. This is my deep conditioning process.

If you are looking for a protein conditioner there are plenty of good ones. In addition to the Nexxus mentioned above I keep the below in rotation:

Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balance (AOGPB) - very light, balancing
Curl Junkie Repair Me - slightly heavier, still very balancing
Spiral Solutions Repairing Treatment - similar results as with Curl Junkie
Megatek (without additives) - heavier, may require moisturizing cond after use

Please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions.

suns4i6e

Thank you so much! I am definitely going to try it this weekend. I have practically a whole bottle of Megatek that I need to use and GPB.

Do you know how big a role the amino acids play? I never bothered to purchase it. I just used the baking soda and conditioner.

*Frisky*, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how large a role the aminos play in the mixture (but since i purchased 32 oz. of it I've been using it for the past few years :lol:). Chemically speaking, aminos are only the building blocks of protein and not proteins themselves and they don't have anything to do with the cuticle opening effect of baking soda. I think you will be just fine to try adding a bit of bs to your conditioner.

Let us know your results if you try this weekend. Remember to mix well.

Back