HAIR DIET II (sharing research)

Choclatcotton

Magic Foods For Luscious Locks
Karen Marie Shelton
Date: 9/3/2001, 11/20/2001, 10/16/2005

Introduction
Since earliest primitive times people have connected the sheen of their animal’s coats with good dietary practices and health. Changes in an animal’s hair or fur almost always signaled nutritional deficiencies or disease.

Ditto with humans. Our hair is the external manifestation of how and what we eat. External hair beauty is a direct reflection of internal health.

Popping daily hair vitamins and minerals is a wonderful way to strengthen and enhance growing hair follicles. Unfortunately vitamin supplements may not be enough. It’s essential to get proper nutrients directly from the foods that we eat.

Hair Is 98 Percent Protein
Nutritionists advise healthy hair seekers to eat well-balanced diets that incorporate healthy proteins along with foods high in vitamin B, C, E, A and K.

Hair instantly responds to the addition of protein rich foods such as meats, eggs, cheese, seeds and nuts. Fish packs a double punch of protein combined with health building essential fatty acids and natural oils. Start each morning with a protein powder drink for instant protein gratification to jump start straggly stands.

Vitamin B
Scientific studies have shown B vitamin deficiencies in the diet can lead to hair problems ranging from mild to severe. Add B vitamin supplements to your daily supplement plan in addition to incorporating B complex food choices.

Jumpstart hair health by chowing down on green vegetables, beans, sunflower seeds, nuts and peas. These foods are all high in the B complex family which includes thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, niacinamide, pyridoxine, and pantothenic acid, cobalmin, folic acid, biotin, choline, inositol and para-aminobenxoic acid.

Although less popular, raw wheat germ, brewers yeast, kelp and desiccated liver are fabulous hair foods that offer a great source of rich vitamin B.

Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a great antioxidant promoting tissue and cell repair and growth. It also strengthens the overall immune system, and assists in metabolizing B vitamins and amino acids into the body.

Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, limes, melons and berries (including black currants) are power packed sources of C. Brussel sprouts, red peppers, kale, cauliflower, tomatoes and cucumbers are additional choices for adding vitamin C foods to your diet.

Vitamin A - Bugs Bunny Had It Right
Bugs Bunny was on the right track with his lust for carrots. Load up on these orange beauty aides for super shiny tresses.

There is nothing better than a sweet mix of freshly squeezed carrot juice mixed with a little lemon or grapefruit juice to cut the sweetness. Whether you eat them raw or juiced, carrots are low in calories and chock full of great cell building Vitamin A.

If you’d rather leave all the orange goodies for that famous cartoon rabbit, you can substitute other Vitamin A rich foods such as sweet potatoes, squash, broccoli, cantaloupe or apricots.

Vitamin E
Vitamin E is known as the "heart healthy" vitamin. It also provides lots of benefits for growing vibrant hair. Add E to your diet by consuming foods like avocados, rice bran, nuts, dark green vegetables, legumes and whole grains.

Vitamin K
This lesser known vitamin helps to maintain healthy bones, teeth, gums, hair and muscles. Food sources of Vitamin K include seafood, dairy foods, figs, brewer yeast, asparagus, broccoli, lettuce, brussel sprouts, cabbage, dark green leafy vegetables, egg yolks, oatmeal, rye, soybeans, liver, wheat and yogurt.

Iron
Healthy hair requires a balanced source of iron in the body. Acquire iron naturally by eating eggs, fish, liver, oysters, meat, poultry, whole grains, green leafy vegetables and blackstrap molasses.

Magnesium
Magnesium deficiencies have been linked to hair problems. Incorporate a proper supply of this important mineral by eating foods that include dairy, meat, fish, fruits, nuts, brewer’s yeast, whole grains and green-leafy vegetables.

Potassium
Bananas are the best source for potassium which is important in nutrient transfer through cell membranes and is essential in hormone secretion. Potassium is found in dairy, fish, meat, poultry, dulse, kelp, blackstrap molasses, oranges and Tortula yeast.

Water
Eight to ten glasses of water a day are absolutely necessary to nourish healthy hair. Chemicals, pollutants and toxins all get trapped in the body. Water helps all chemical wastes, pollutants, toxins and other impurities be whisked out of the body. When you keep yourself well hydrated and clear of toxins, your live is free to help process all the proper nutrients that your body needs.

Essential Fats (EFAs)
Along with proper diet healthy hair needs two essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6, that are not produced naturally by the human body.

Omega-3 fats are found mostly in algae, cold-water fish, dark-green vegetables, hemp oil and pumpkin seed oil. Flax oil is consider the most concentrated source of omega-3 found in nature.

Omega-6 fats include borage, evening primrose oil, safflower oil, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, corn and pumpkin seeds. Other foods rich in essential fatty acids include English walnuts, kidney beans, navy beans, soybeans, and evening primrose oil.

Cold-pressed vegetable oils are also essential to a hair healthy diet. Lack of these oils causes dull, lifeless hair along with parched, rough skin. Add a teaspoon to your fresh daily salad and your hair will instantly benefit.

Fun Food Groups To Avoid
Not all foods are created equal in their ability to help grow scrumptious strands. Some foods actually harm your body’s ability to develop lush locks. Eating dead foods can lead to lifeless hair. Sugars and starches, soft drinks, and bad-for-you snacks compose the dead food categories proven to trigger body chemistry imbalances.

Caffeine, alcohol, nicotine and recreational drugs will also rob the body of important hair growing nutrients. Smoking has been conclusively proven to damage many important nutrients while nicotine of any type will destroy Vitamin C.

If you can’t completely eliminate foods that are not good for your hair consider cranking up your hair vitamins and at least cutting back on the unhealthy habits.

Knowing What To Eat
Combing a well balanced protein based diet with fresh seasonal fruits and veggies is a great insurance policy for growing fabulous hair you can flaunt. Most seasonal fruits and vegetables cover the full range of vitamins, minerals and trace elements needed for good health and great hair.

Consuming foods rich in copper, zinc and other natural food elements is also helpful. Raw nuts, seed and grains are the safest foods to select for maintaining and growing healthy hair. They furnish hormones, enzymes, vitamins, minerals, many of which are not contained in cooked and processed foods.

d-rock

I was eating a banana everyday for breakfast (in the car while sitting in traffic and sometimes after a workout) and I noticed when I ran out I was actually having really really strong cravings for them. Like it was some kind of drug. Same thing with my one-salad-a-day diet, a few days after I stopped all I wanted was more veggies. Crazy how we evolved to crave what our bodies need.

Maybe I need to get back to it since it's all good for da hair.

RegaLady

Ladies I suggest, if you can't eat all of these in one day, buy a juicer. I eat more carrots and kale and spinach, than I have ever eaten in my life. Because of it, I eat soo much better!:yep:

larry3344

Are u bumping these threads in celebration of being here a decade? :giggle:

I kid. I did try the brewer’s yeast and I remember hating the taste, but really liking the mental clarity and energy I get from lecithin (I know that’s another thread).
nah...lol I just think there are real gems buried in this forum that are worth bringing up. Instead of creating new threads constantly. Besides I am trying to do my part by reviving the hair forum. Also, I miss some of the old heads, it would be nice for the newbies to see blast from the past and gives this place some more of the spark that it once had.

demlew

nah...lol I just think there are real gems buried in this forum that are worth bringing up. Instead of creating new threads constantly. Besides I am trying to do my part by reviving the hair forum. Also, I miss some of the old heads, it would be nice for the newbies to see blast from the past and gives this place some more of the spark that it once had.

ITA! I really miss @Nonie. She was always sharing the science knowledge. And empressari (sp?) too.