Hair disaster/setback support thread!Whats your story-PICS-Long

casey3035

Well I am Attempting to start this thread for myself and for those who experience setbacks and hair disasters to come in vent,get support and get on track without being or feeling ridiculed!
I can honestly say I felt too embarrassed about posting these pics-but I had to because I felt the need to show newbies as well as others that this CAN happen if you don't do your own trims and REMAIN in control of your own hair at all times.... I have cried and complained-my hair is not coming back until it grows back PERIOD!

Long story short I was in the MBL 2010 challenge and made it! Joined the 2011 WL challenge-hoping to see WL or graze it by June! Went to the salon for a blowout and trim today. The stylist and I discussed EVERYTHING! She even show me in the mirror how much she was going to cut-an inch-MAYBE! Upon completion- from the side view it looked great and fine-once I came home and took a back shot I realized I was grazing BSL! WOW!
My plan: Braid my hair crown and glory for 6 months in an effort to reach MBL by then. Because I cant stand the sight of it! It makes me that upset. Not because it's BSL of course but because it's hard for me to swallow this setback! So I will hide it for 6 months and keep every inch by doing this-thats the plan!
Here are the photos-sorry but I will not answer any ignorant questions about why I let her do it! It happened and I am trying to move forward-nothing less!
Please share your story and help support one another!
The 1st pic was taken 12-2010....The 2nd was taken today... 2-2011.

Nonie

sorry but I will not answer any ignorant questions about why I let her do it! It happened and I am trying to move forward-nothing less!

Can I borrow this disclaimer^^ to use with my story? :lachen:

OP I'm sorry about that setback, but it will grow back. It always does. And you can look at this as an opportunity to do things right so your hair will even be healthier than it was before the setback. :kiss:

OK, here's mine. Grew my hair to SL in braids and then was sporting twists for a while...

...wore it straight for a while:

Mini braids on straightened hair:

And then decided to visit Miss Jessie's to learn shingling hands on. Well Mikko was not available until later in the week so my impatience sent me to another stylist that was recommended because she loves to help naturals grow long hair. I talked to her at length over the phone about what I wanted and how much I love my natural hair.

When I got to the salon, the receptionist assumed I was there for a press. I should've seen that red flag. When my stylist came, I reiterated my plan and she recommended a texturizer (Er...did I stutter?). I reminded her of my love affair with my hair. Then she suggested color. I'm sorry but I like my hair black thank you very much, plus I've heard of folks putting relaxers on the sly under the pretext of coloring--not to mention how some coloring products can loosen the curl. Maybe I pissed her off or sth with my stubbornness. :lachen:

Anyway, she ended up not doing what I came there for, but doing finger coils--or something that was supposed to be finger coils LOL. Since I was open to new styling ideas, I sat through the process. She was surprised at how long my hair was when she blowdried (I have major shrinkage). She then said she'd trim my ends a bit. All this was not done by a mirror. I guess I need a good :buttkick: for being so trusting, but I'd been led to believe she loved to see black women with long hair.

Two hours later, she was like "There you go!" and held a mirror for me to see the back as she moved me to a mirror to see the front. I thought she was kidding. She assured me she wasn't. Never in all my life had my hair looked like poop until then. :nono: She said the style would drop into fluffy coils in a day or so. :rolleyes: Knowing my hair, that didn't seem likely but I gave her the benefit of the doubt.

Needless to say, no curls dropped and it was when I undid that mess that I saw my 3 inches worth of stretched hair. I'd lost 5+ inches of length which is HUGE when you're just at SL.

Anyway, I braided my hair and in about 16 months, I was about where I was before the BC.

And I've learned my lesson: never to let anyone do my hair because no one can love it as much as I. And I'm better off with my limited styling ideas.

Last edited:

nappystorm

Oh yeah, I remember that. :nono: I am still in disbelief that you were smiling in the after pic. I guess you were in shock. People do crazy things when in shock.
Girl, I was:nono:. I was just reading that thread wondering wth? I should have been bailing out of Douglas County jail instead of creating threads and ish:look:. I got mad as hell when my length twins started reaching MBL and WL. I wonder if she will be at the BB Hairshow this weekend :scratchch

Last edited:

nappystorm

Here are the photos-sorry but I will not answer any ignorant questions about why I let her do it! It happened and I am trying to move forward-nothing less!
I'm glad somebody addressed this. What are you supposed to do? Leave with one side SL and one side BSL?
For the record, me and that little SH hooker had the no trim/cut convo beforehand and she hacked me anyway.

ycj1

its official! i'm never trusting people with my hair, especially when it comes to scissors! i was gonna go to supercuts or bangs and let them trim it a little bit, but nah, i'm straight...
Girl I feel you on that one! You r way too funny!

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
When I big chopped in 2006 I had the protective styling down to a science. What I didn't realize was that I was using too much protein. I believe that my strands are so coarse that I do not need any protein at all. That is what gave me the most problems. Another issue is that when I was transitioning, I was abusing heat and color. So I eventually had to cut that off in June of 2007.

Anyway here it is in pictures:

Color/heat transitioning hair set back 2007:

Um, please ignore my typo lol

Over the span of 9 months I gradually cut off all my hair to a caesar:

casey3035

When I big chopped in 2006 I had the protective styling down to a science. What I didn't realize was that I was using too much protein. I believe that my strands are so coarse that I do not need any protein at all. That is what gave me the most problems. Another issue is that when I was transitioning, I was abusing heat and color. So I eventually had to cut that off in June of 2007.

Anyway here it is in pictures:

Color/heat transitioning hair set back 2007:

Um, please ignore my typo lol

Over the span of 9 months I gradually cut off all my hair to a caesar:

"What happens when you give a scissor happy nappy some scissors...." Girl you cracked me up with that one-I needed the laugh!

casey3035

Can I borrow this disclaimer^^ to use with my story? :lachen:

OP I'm sorry about that setback, but it will grow back. It always does. And you can look at this as an opportunity to do things right so your hair will even be healthier than it was before the setback. :kiss:

OK, here's mine. Grew my hair to SL in braids and then was sporting twists for a while...

...wore it straight for a while:

Mini braids on straightened hair:

And then decided to visit Miss Jessie's to learn shingling hands on. Well Mikko was not available until later in the week so my impatience sent me to another stylist that was recommended because she loves to help naturals grow long hair. I talked to her at length over the phone about what I wanted and how much I love my natural hair.

When I got to the salon, the receptionist assumed I was there for a press. I should've seen that red flag. When my stylist came, I reiterated my plan and she recommended a texturizer (Er...did I stutter?). I reminded her of my love affair with my hair. Then she suggested color. I'm sorry but I like my hair black thank you very much, plus I've heard of folks putting relaxers on the sly under the pretext of coloring--not to mention how some coloring products can loosen the curl. Maybe I pissed her off or sth with my stubbornness. :lachen:

Anyway, she ended up not doing what I came there for, but doing finger coils--or something that was supposed to be finger coils LOL. Since I was open to new styling ideas, I sat through the process. She was surprised at how long my hair was when she blowdried (I have major shrinkage). She then said she'd trim my ends a bit. All this was not done by a mirror. I guess I need a good :buttkick: for being so trusting, but I'd been led to believe she loved to see black women with long hair.

Two hours later, she was like "There you go!" and held a mirror for me to see the back as she moved me to a mirror to see the front. I thought she was kidding. She assured me she wasn't. Never in all my life had my hair looked like poop until then. :nono: She said the style would drop into fluffy coils in a day or so. :rolleyes: Knowing my hair, that didn't seem likely but I gave her the benefit of the doubt.

Needless to say, no curls dropped and it was when I undid that mess that I saw my 3 inches worth of stretched hair. I'd lost 5+ inches of length which is HUGE when you're just at SL.

Anyway, I braided my hair and in about 16 months, I was about where I was before the BC.

And I've learned my lesson: never to let anyone do my hair because no one can love it as much as I. And I'm better off with my limited styling ideas.
Wow! Your story was just saddening- Thankk you and the other ladies that share your hair war storys-they need to be told so other can know what to look out for.

BostonMaria

I don't have a story (thank God) but just wanted to send you a hug, OP. I was angry when I saw your after picture and I can only imagine how you felt when you saw it! I don't blame you for hiding your hair for 6 months. I probably would do the same. I don't let anybody cut my hair for this same reason. Some people are scissor happy!

Nonie, you have got to be kidding me!! She cut off 5 inches? Is she still in a coma? LOL :grin:

Last edited:

joyous

Sorry this happened to you. Your hair looked healthy in the first photo there was no need for her to trim that much.

frida1980

Whoa... This pictures are just TRAGIC. What is wrong with stylist exactly? In fact, I think they give out beautician's license's too easily! How stupid are these stylist?! I vented this in another thread, but I'll but it here. Reason #4 of why I hate getting my hair trimmed:

4. Because stylist lack basic listening skills, respect for people's hair and their goals, and basic measurement skills.
Why in the world would a man comb my hair like the devil is on his back? How do you hit snags on straight hair? When does 1/2 inch turn into a 2 inches!? And why would you tell me not to grow my hair out. What the...

Here are my setbacks. I didn't take photos of my hair often, and when I did it was curled up. But here's the before, I think this was actually 1 1/2 months before the chop. Sorry the photo is dark:

And the after:

I don't know what annoys me more, the fact that this chick thinks that 4" is a trim or that my hair looks incredibly shiny and glam afterwords! That is sooo frustrating! I just get a blow to my heart and my hair betrays me by looking better than ever....

Attachments

• DSCN0223_opt.jpg
    DSCN0223_opt.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 446
  • DSCN0225_opt.jpg
    DSCN0225_opt.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

ThatJerseyGirl

das a shame and a dayum scandal. truth be told, i had an incident like that. I asked for a trim, and dat bytch hacked my hair. I knew something was wrong when the other stylist was lookin like...wtf.

when she gave me the mirror...i was like huh...and then i touched it. looked on the floor and was like...da phuck....i told u trim....is dat my hair on da floor? she was walkin away like she ain't hear me. snatched her right into glory and wore it out!!!!!

long story short, someone called PG County police cuz i wore dat azzz out. i don't give a dayum. i went from shoulder to ear length. i wore.her.azzzz.out. literally. don't remember the name of the shop, but it's over in camp springs, maryland off allentown road. i just blacked out n lost it.

then i joined lhcf. call it whatchu want, but if i give u specific instructions and u take it upon urself to do what you want to do on MY head, then suffer the consequences...das it n das all.

i will NEVER...i repeat NEVER let anothe stylist do MY hair. Weave? something different. but my own hair...nahhh son.

BostonMaria

das a shame and a dayum scandal. truth be told, i had an incident like that. I asked for a trim, and dat bytch hacked my hair. I knew something was wrong when the other stylist was lookin like...wtf.

when she gave me the mirror...i was like huh...and then i touched it. looked on the floor and was like...da phuck....i told u trim....is dat my hair on da floor? she was walkin away like she ain't hear me. snatched her right into glory and wore it out!!!!!

long story short, someone called PG County police cuz i wore dat azzz out. i don't give a dayum. i went from shoulder to ear length. i wore.her.azzzz.out. literally. don't remember the name of the shop, but it's over in camp springs, maryland off allentown road. i just blacked out n lost it.

then i joined lhcf. call it whatchu want, but if i give u specific instructions and u take it upon urself to do what you want to do on MY head, then suffer the consequences...das it n das all.

i will NEVER...i repeat NEVER let anothe stylist do MY hair. Weave? something different. but my own hair...nahhh son.

Not sure if this is a true story, but I pictured Madea in your avatar saying all this LMAO

Nonie

just to be clear, you went from

to this?:

oh hale naw....if that happened to me, it would be some slow singing and flower bringing after that one! this is why i'm scurred of letting other people touch my hair...even my own mother...

iri9109 You are hilarious! :lachen: I'm in tears! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

ajargon02

WOW ladies! THANK-YOU for your courage in sharing your stories!!! I have jacked myself up,which I can deal with, but having a stylist jack me up????? THEY WOULD BE IN SOME SERIOUS TROUBLE, CAUSE WE'D BE GOIN TO THE UPPER ROOM!!!! Anyway, I have been wanting to go to a stylist to get my hair done, so I will be keepin an eye out for good stylists word of mouth reviews here and on np, so I won't have a horror story!

ThatJerseyGirl

Not sure if this is a true story, but I pictured Madea in your avatar saying all this LMAO

oh, its very true chile, and i ain't shame i had to come outta my element like that. in fact, i think at that time my hair was slight longer. but hear this....it's not like the cut was cute and i could have rocked a styled. no, she HACKED it. like uneven everywhere. i have no regrets and will do it again. i was sooo in my feelings behind dat. one of the officers was a black female, so she understood, but was like..still tho....

even the other stylist who sat across from her was looking strange and was like....wtf are u doin....and this particular stylist had a client in her chair.. but she even said she took way too much off. but i tell u this..she won't be doin that no dayum more....

das why u gotta be very very careful of who u let do ur hair. check their hair out. if da stylist is bald and unattractive, don't sit in her chair. plain n simple. if she got even half of hair, or weave, don't let her do your hair if your getting your natural hair done. i've seen it too many times where women will get up, pay and walk out mad. and see, a lot of stylists do not have the patience for natural hair, thick hair, or even long hair. they'll sneak those scissors in when you're not looking...i've seen it all when i use to frequent hair salons.

neva had that problem when i was home in jersey. i went to my favorite sylist located on south orange ave in newark and neva had a problem. but down here in dc...chile puleez....

Napp

Ms. Nobody
wow i think i am going to just get a crea clip. i dont want to bother with these stylists unless they are reneice!

Nonie

WOW ladies! THANK-YOU for your courage in sharing your stories!!! I have jacked myself up,which I can deal with, but having a stylist jack me up????? THEY WOULD BE IN SOME SERIOUS TROUBLE, CAUSE WE'D BE GOIN TO THE UPPER ROOM!!!! Anyway, I have been wanting to go to a stylist to get my hair done, so I will be keepin an eye out for good stylists word of mouth reviews here and on np, so I won't have a horror story!

@ajargon02

:look: Ermm...I hate to put a damper on your plans but the stylist I went to came very highly recommended on hair forums. And this was an Aveda salon--another salon that gets nice reviews. She apparently specialized in natural hair, another plus. But I learned that just coz she's good with others' hair (type 3 mostly), doesn't mean she'll be good with yours. Plus I don't know if you trust that others' idea of good is the same as yours. Some of the type 4's who went to her just looked to me like they'd left home w/o combing their like I did. :lol: (TBH, that style on me made me think of a crazy woman sitting in a corner rocking back and forth while twirling her fingers in her hair and mumbling something unintelligible. Only mad people go around looking like that where I come from, but apparently some consider that a style.:rolleyes: And no I'm not dissing finger coils. I've seen cute finger coils; what that woman did to my hair was not cute nor was it a style worth $80 or even $5.)

And just to show you why you can't trust everything you hear, believe it or not, there are several people who have looked me in the face and sworn that that ugly thing she did to my hair was cute. :huh: :rolleyes: Talmbout "It looks fluffy!" Fluffy my big black booty! More like steel wool scratchy! I was so mad at that sugar coating that I had to magnify it and break it down to these deluded souls that there was no order or direction or even design or fluff to what was done to me. (Exhibit A)

So if I were you, I'd learn to do whatever it is you want done by a stylist. No hairstyle is worth the risk of losing all you've done. Unless you're one of those people who can chop of their hair and start the journey afresh without flinching, I say be happy with what you have now and accept you can't have every look there is.

Last edited:

Nonie

das why u gotta be very very careful of who u let do ur hair. check their hair out. if da stylist is bald and unattractive, don't sit in her chair.

ThatJerseyGirl
LOL :lol: TJG, you're a hoot. About ^^...

I just wanted to say, there's a riddle that told of a land where no one could do their own hair. There were two hair salons. One of them had a stylist with really unhealthy, damaged hair. The other salon's stylist had beautiful healthy hair. If you had to choose which stylist to go to, which one would you go to? The smart answer was: the one with bad hair because she does the hair of the one with good hair. :p

Last edited:

Glamorous_chic

^^Nonie, i agree. i went to aveda at a location that was recommended on forums, and went to a stylist that supposidly specialized in color of african american hair. i explained to her, that i'd been transitioning for 1 year, and i just wanted some warm highlights, like a caramel brown and warm red for the spring. what i got was bright red hair that turned blonde after 2 weeks. she had to go back and redo the color. and asked me how i liked it while it was wet. well, while wet, the color was beutiful, dry was another story. i was embarressed. everyone asked me if i had a wig on. it was this bright red (not rihanna red lol). and it ended up costing my a years worth of progress and broke my hair off.

i also went to a stylist whom i'd gone to many times before for a wash and straightening. she usually did a great job. by this time, i'd decided to hold off trimming and was bunning my hair like crazy and taking my supplements, so my hair was now close to bsl. she said i needed a trim, which i was sure i needed. i asked her how much, she show'd me how much and said it wouldn't be too much. i specifically said do not even out my hair, it grows unevenly and i'm fine with that. she agreed. well, i walked out with a blunt cut sl, that barely fit in a ponytail holder. i didn't realize it, b/c since it was soo late, i had her to wrap it (this was not unusual). i combed down my hair the next day getting ready for work and was horrified. i wanted to cry! i learned from then on not to trust stylists, not even the one's you think you can trust. even my prior beautician i went to when i was relaxed, i loved how she would do my hair, but she always had to "trim" and i stayed the exact same sl length for the entire 3 years i went to her, and thought maybe my hair just doesn't "grow".

bebezazueta

All of my setbacks were before my HHJ and let me tell you they ALL involved stylists.
SHS - went to her for 2 years and was wondering why my hair never grew past SL. She cut every relaxer. Now I always rollerset my hair so I know my ends weren't that bad. AND after a relaxer which burned tremendously, she would rinse out and pour Seabreeze on my already burning scalp. :heated:
(I have nursed my scalp back to health, no dandruff, no burns, just healthy)

NON-chemical stylist - Some stylists just need to give up putting chemicals in anyones head unless they had at least a B in high school chemistry. This woman did not rinse the relaxer out all the way for one. And after neutrilizing and DCing my hair and sitting me in her chair, she noticed some relaxer still around my edges and she does what "WIPES it OFF with a towel!" Well of course I go home to wash it out and my nape just all falls into my hands. Bald to the back and by my right temple.

Yes, I was too trusting back then but this is now and I'm proud to say that those setbacks set me up for a strong comeback!

Now I trim, color (henna) and relax my own hair and it has never looked and felt better. Thank you Jesus!