Hair disaster/setback support thread!Whats your story-PICS-Long

PeculiarDaye

Hey ladies :wavey:

I have read all of your stories, and they are truly sad. Dealing with stylist is a tricky thing, and finding a good one is a lucky pick out the bunch. Ive only been to a stylist once in my life and I was 12 so any trim I got was definitely needed.

My mother always told me not to go to a stylist because they would cut your hair off, due to many of reasons and mainly not because your hair is unhealthy. She told me her horror story with a stylist and the stylist did not get paid and she was in tears. So I took her experience and decided to avoid them.

I look at all of your stories as fresh starts, it may be upsetting to have to start over but you know exactly what your hair needs, and you know how to get it back.

Last edited:

D.Lisha

Here's my set back story...funny thing is, I have no one to blame but myself lol.
No SHS's...jst me *sigh*
oh well...I know better now! From here on out, I will STICK to what has worked for my hair from the jump :yep:

VirtuousBeauty

oh, its very true chile, and i ain't shame i had to come outta my element like that. in fact, i think at that time my hair was slight longer. but hear this....it's not like the cut was cute and i could have rocked a styled. no, she HACKED it. like uneven everywhere. i have no regrets and will do it again. i was sooo in my feelings behind dat. one of the officers was a black female, so she understood, but was like..still tho....

even the other stylist who sat across from her was looking strange and was like....wtf are u doin....and this particular stylist had a client in her chair.. but she even said she took way too much off. but i tell u this..she won't be doin that no dayum more....

das why u gotta be very very careful of who u let do ur hair. check their hair out. if da stylist is bald and unattractive, don't sit in her chair. plain n simple. if she got even half of hair, or weave, don't let her do your hair if your getting your natural hair done. i've seen it too many times where women will get up, pay and walk out mad. and see, a lot of stylists do not have the patience for natural hair, thick hair, or even long hair. they'll sneak those scissors in when you're not looking...i've seen it all when i use to frequent hair salons.

neva had that problem when i was home in jersey. i went to my favorite sylist located on south orange ave in newark and neva had a problem. but down here in dc...chile puleez....

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

ms.tatiana

Okay so my story isn't about length but about edges.. ugh

I went to a salon and got my hair braided from a lady that everyone said did the best braids ever and I was like let me try this woman out. I've never been the type of girl to comb here her hair I'm the one always in braids. So the braids were tight & I thought nothing over it...

Once I took the braids down after a month my edges looked like this

I was mad, hot, crying like a baby but there was nothing to do about it I have been having the hardest time to get these things to grow back and when they do they usually fall right back out but I've been using JBCO and having some growth.

Bnster

Here's my set back story...funny thing is, I have no one to blame but myself lol.
No SHS's...jst me *sigh*
oh well...I know better now! From here on out, I will STICK to what has worked for my hair from the jump :yep:

Glad you didn't give up and are here still with us. I just read your thread.

I have no pics, but my setbacks were with SHS cutting too much and me not standing up. I finally realized the BS he was telling me about my ends being split were all lies, he was evening out. Once I realized that I put a stop to it. "Cut and I will get out of your chair." Of course he would always try to get a cut in at each visit. No more, no more being insecure in the HS chair and thinking they know what they are doing and I have no voice.

So when I need a trim, I will be doing a lot of research to do it myself.
You are right ladies, you can't really trust people and if you find someone you are really the lucky few. I found that 2009 and beginning of 2010 Once I put my feet down I started to see my progress and I am happy with it.

When I deem it needs cutting I will be doing it myself.

afjhnsn

oh, its very true chile, and i ain't shame i had to come outta my element like that. in fact, i think at that time my hair was slight longer. but hear this....it's not like the cut was cute and i could have rocked a styled. no, she HACKED it. like uneven everywhere. i have no regrets and will do it again. i was sooo in my feelings behind dat. one of the officers was a black female, so she understood, but was like..still tho....

even the other stylist who sat across from her was looking strange and was like....wtf are u doin....and this particular stylist had a client in her chair.. but she even said she took way too much off. but i tell u this..she won't be doin that no dayum more....

das why u gotta be very very careful of who u let do ur hair. check their hair out. if da stylist is bald and unattractive, don't sit in her chair. plain n simple. if she got even half of hair, or weave, don't let her do your hair if your getting your natural hair done. i've seen it too many times where women will get up, pay and walk out mad. and see, a lot of stylists do not have the patience for natural hair, thick hair, or even long hair. they'll sneak those scissors in when you're not looking...i've seen it all when i use to frequent hair salons.

neva had that problem when i was home in jersey. i went to my favorite sylist located on south orange ave in newark and neva had a problem. but down here in dc...chile puleez....

I live in NJ .. what was that salon called, bc I don't live too far from there

Nonie

Okay so my story isn't about length but about edges.. ugh

I went to a salon and got my hair braided from a lady that everyone said did the best braids ever and I was like let me try this woman out. I've never been the type of girl to comb here her hair I'm the one always in braids. So the braids were tight & I thought nothing over it...

I was mad, hot, crying like a baby but there was nothing to do about it I have been having the hardest time to get these things to grow back and when they do they usually fall right back out but I've been using JBCO and having some growth.

Your edges are growing in very nicely. :up: Guess we live and learn.

casey3035

I don't have a story (thank God) but just wanted to send you a hug, OP. I was angry when I saw your after picture and I can only imagine how you felt when you saw it! I don't blame you for hiding your hair for 6 months. I probably would do the same. I don't let anybody cut my hair for this same reason. Some people are scissor happy!

@Nonie, you have got to be kidding me!! She cut off 5 inches? Is she still in a coma? LOL :grin:
Girl Thank you for the support! I think I am upset to beacuse I just finished hiding my hair while stretching for 6 months... Buns and hats because I just knew by June it would be soooo worth it! Mind you-I have 4b hair -straight up! So-doing a stretch with 4b relaxed bun and hat EVERY SINGLE DAY-is only determination! So You know I thought this *ish would be flowing and banging by June! How disappointing! Now I gotta hide again for 6 months but I cant to the braid and bun thing again so crown and glory method it is.....

Nonie

@Nonie, you have got to be kidding me!! She cut off 5 inches? Is she still in a coma? LOL :grin:

BostonMaria OMG, I missed this earlier. :rofl: :lachen: :lol:

Y'all would have really helped me get through that time when all my progress went down the drain. I'm getting the laugh I so needed then. Thank you.
:dead: @ the bold.

Last edited:

casey3035

@ FRIDA "I don't know what annoys me more, the fact that this chick thinks that 4" is a trim or that my hair looks incredibly shiny and glam afterwords!" we are nck and neck on this... Although my hair isn't as bling-I have the flow ALMOST as good as a Dominican Blowout-but it's in my back yard! I cant lie-she did a' hellavah' blowout and the cut issss neat and clean but the actual lost of length is crazy! Talk about double edge sword!
This is the honest truth-this chick is known around town for her blowout results-especially for naturals! I have seen her work a hundred times-so my home work was done-so I thought!.
I think what happened is -she pulled my hair down in the back and basically said " can I cut off this much? once agreed upon -instead of her cutting it from the bottom-she began lifting it toward the ceiling to cut! She told me that she knew what I wanted but she does it this way so that it looks like I haven't even had a cut! I'm thinking "cool-we're on the same page then" But naw the heifer scalped me-dang! I think her hair cutting method is what eventually messed me up!

casey3035

No SHS's...jst me *sigh*
I'm glad you took responsibility for your own setback because I wanna learn from ladies that have messed up on their own or even because of an illness! No matter what a setback is- a set back soooo I want to hear these story's as well!

GraceV

@ajargon02

And just to show you why you can't trust everything you hear, believe it or not, there are several people who have looked me in the face and sworn that that ugly thing she did to my hair was cute. :huh: :rolleyes: Talmbout "It looks fluffy!" Fluffy my big black booty! More like steel wool scratchy! I was so mad at that sugar coating that I had to magnify it and break it down to these deluded souls that there was no order or direction or even design or fluff to what was done to me. (Exhibit A)

Wow. Thank you so much ladies for sharing your stories. I cannot imagine how difficult it must have been to deal with the setbacks.

That said... NOW THIS POST RIGHT HERE!!!!! Nonie!!! I clicked on exhibit A expecting to see a post where you broke it down but a picture with commentary? :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::rofl::rofl::rofl: Lawd knows I was NOT expecting that. I can just imagine you focused on educating these folks. Thanks for the best laugh I've had all week!

mousee09

your story is the same as mines, had my hair relaxed and it always stayed at the same length..ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was terrible!

D.Lisha

I'm glad you took responsibility for your own setback because I wanna learn from ladies that have messed up on their own or even because of an illness! No matter what a setback is- a set back soooo I want to hear these story's as well!

Yes ma"am. I'm 100% to blame.
I think I messed up when my protective styles caused alot of tension on the left side of my head. So now im making absolutely sure I square dance with my bun, daily! And im making sure I pay close attention to my weaker side when im moisturizing and sealing.
Not to mention I will be investing in a split-ender soon as to make sure my ends are well groomed.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Long Hair Care Forum App

casey3035

Yes ma"am. I'm 100% to blame.
I think I messed up when my protective styles caused alot of tension on the left side of my head. So now im making absolutely sure I square dance with my bun, daily! And im making sure I pay close attention to my weaker side when im moisturizing and sealing.
Not to mention I will be investing in a split-ender soon as to make sure my ends are well groomed.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Long Hair Care Forum App
Thanks for reminding me about investing in that split ender-whats your current length?

niknakmac

I messed up my own hair. I started taking a new medication and my hair went crazy it was super dry and falling out as soon as you touched it. I decided to use some henna Ii had bought to streghten it and then put a weave in to hide it. Well the henna only made my hair dryer and I put the weave in the day after. The lady who braided it braided it way to tight.

Ok, so I take out the weave and my hair had broken off alot and basically most of the rest of my hair came out in the comb. So I had to cut it to make it look somewhat decent and i have been babying it since. Thankfully my moisture balance is back and it looks like it is slowly coming back.

No henna or weave for me ever again. I hadn't worn a weave in about 8 years my scalp couldn't take it. I also think if i hadn't weaved it I would have sved alot of my hair because i would have realized that the henna added to the dryness and I would have cranked up the moisture treatments.

I have lots of different lenghts right now but i mostly wear it curly so you can't tell. Just trying to grow it out. Live and learn.

Last edited: