Hair Dryer Vs. Air Drying (study)

PlanetCybertron

So apparently using a blow dryer at a moderate temperature, and at enough of a distance, doesn’t cause cortex nor cuticle damage as much as I (we?) thought.

But air drying can cause swelling of the cortex, but not much damage to the cuticle. Constant swelling and contraction can cause cracks and chips within the cortex, which could also lead to possible breakage?

I’m more or less a bit shooketh, as I’ve always been under the assumption, air drying is the best route, but it does make sense. However I have no idea if this article takes into consideration different hair texture, and different hair properties of said textures. But I do feel like the majority of this study is un-biased and can be used in a general sense for hair care.

But there’s also the manipulation factor. Most folks who blow dry use some sort of tool as well. A brush or even a comb can cause a heck of a lot more damage and a lot quicker than simply air drying and leaving your hair alone afterwards.

I’m really not into the thought of blowdrying every time I wash, but I think I’ll start sitting outside with my fan on and just chilling while my hair dries since it’s warm where I stay.

What do you guys think of this?
Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/

yamilee21

I would need to see these results replicated on a variety of hair textures for it to mean something to me. All I know from my own experience is that a handheld blow dryer leads to immediate damage for me, unless I only use both the lowest speed and the lowest temperature.

PlanetCybertron

I would need to see these results replicated on a variety of hair textures for it to mean something to me. All I know from my own experience is that a handheld blow dryer leads to immediate damage for me, unless I only use both the lowest speed and the lowest temperature.

I agree. On the rare occasion I blow dry, I do it on the lowest setting, but to be honest it takes me at least an hour and a half for my hair to become completely dry. Which I just find not worth it.

But I would really like to see the study on Cary hair textures as well. Or they should have at least noted which hair textures they used. Idk if they did, I didn’t see it.

nyeredzi

I like dryers for stretching the hair, reducing tangling. I agree that the bigger damage is the associated manipulation with a brush or comb. You can also get that damage air drying, because the hair shrinks more and a lot of manipulation may be needed to detangle.

Their study had them doing the treatments 30 times. They talked like it was to replicate daily hair care, so we know their whole frame of reference is different because most of us don't wash daily.

It's an interesting study, but the more impactful determinant of hair health for me is manipulation and its relationship to tangling