Hair elasticity ?

Britt

What can I do to improve the elasticity of my hair? Its been horrible lately
. I've tried deep conditioning with heat, clarifying, protein, everything to no avail. When I rinse out my conditioners my hair feels straw like. When I look at the strands of my hair while combing through the conditioner, its raised. The hair shaft has humps in it instead of being smooth. Its not torn of rough, but its not smooth and my wet hair isn't holding any moisture from my conditioners
Why does this happen? I've tried every product in my hair arsenal and nothing is working.

Any suggestions? Im even open to product suggestions as well and your hair conditioning routines

Karonica

Have you dyed your hair recently? A week after getting my hair bleached, I noticed those little white balls all in my strands and at those points, the hair breaks really easily.

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
I third the AO GPB, and you might want to try a Sebastian colourshines in clear afterwards too.

Neroli

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
. I've tried deep conditioning with heat, clarifying, protein, everything to no avail. When I rinse out my conditioners my hair feels straw like. When I look at the strands of my hair while combing through the conditioner, its raised. The hair shaft has humps in it instead of being smooth. Its not torn of rough, but its not smooth and my wet hair isn't holding any moisture from my conditioners
Why does this happen? I've tried every product in my hair arsenal and nothing is working.

Any suggestions? Im even open to product suggestions as well and your hair conditioning routines

[/ QUOTE ]

Britt: I have 4b relaxed hair and I do condition washes using 1/3 honey, 1/3 coconut milk and 1/3 conditioner with plastic cap NO HEAT for at least 10 minutes up to 1 hour. Rinse out with cool water and ACV final rinse. Rollerset using a mixture of nexxus headress, giovanni direct and rosemary oil and dry under hood dryer. I do this 2 times a week and my hair is soft, bouncy and strong. Honey improves hair elasticity and the coconut milk just leaves it lustrous. I don't use shampoo until the wash before touchup and the wash after touchup. At those two shampoo washes, I do a "hard core" protein (nexxus emergencee or aphogee) in order to help strenghten hair before and after the relaxer. I do condition washes using aubrey organics GPB for softcore protein about once a month (same formula, 1/3 honey, 1/3 coconut milk, 1/2 GPB).

You may want to STOP using a clarifying shampoo. I stopped and my hair is much much improved -- they strip my 4b relaxed hair way too much and hair cuticles would be raised up something aweful. After reviewing the ingredients in them, I found that they contain the harshest detergents and sometimes two or more of them. I use moisurizing shampoos whenever I do shampoo (I love nexxus therappe) and I found that the ACV rinses closes up the cuticles so that each strand is nice and shiny. NOT using shampoo has really improved the health of my hair and the condition washes really seem to keep my scalp clean. I know, I know, when I first contemplated condition washes, I thought "yuck!" I need to clean my scalp, but really, washing twice a week with conditioners seem to do the trick for me. If you NEED to shampoo instead of condition washes, then get the gentlest mildest shampoo you can find. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
I agree w/CH. Aubrey's is very good. What conditioners and poos are you using now?

[/ QUOTE ]

List of shampoos I have:
Nexxus Therappe
CON Moisturizing
Motions Lavishing Con.
Pantene Clarifying

Conditioners I've used to try and rectify this problem:
Affirm 5in1
Sebastians Penetraitt
Salerm 21 (always works)
Nexxus Humectress (usually works fine)

I've tried AB Organics months ago and it did nada, so I returned it.

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
andreamaria said:
umm.... *cough - Neutrogena Tripe Moisture???

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought the shampoo and the only thing that got me was the smell.

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:
[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Britt: I have 4b relaxed hair and I do condition washes using 1/3 honey, 1/3 coconut milk and 1/3 conditioner with plastic cap NO HEAT for at least 10 minutes up to 1 hour. Rinse out with cool water and ACV final rinse. Rollerset using a mixture of nexxus headress, giovanni direct and rosemary oil and dry under hood dryer. I do this 2 times a week and my hair is soft, bouncy and strong. Honey improves hair elasticity and the coconut milk just leaves it lustrous. I don't use shampoo until the wash before touchup and the wash after touchup. At those two shampoo washes, I do a "hard core" protein (nexxus emergencee or aphogee) in order to help strenghten hair before and after the relaxer. I do condition washes using aubrey organics GPB for softcore protein about once a month (same formula, 1/3 honey, 1/3 coconut milk, 1/2 GPB).

You may want to STOP using a clarifying shampoo. I stopped and my hair is much much improved -- they strip my 4b relaxed hair way too much and hair cuticles would be raised up something aweful. After reviewing the ingredients in them, I found that they contain the harshest detergents and sometimes two or more of them. I use moisurizing shampoos whenever I do shampoo (I love nexxus therappe) and I found that the ACV rinses closes up the cuticles so that each strand is nice and shiny. NOT using shampoo has really improved the health of my hair and the condition washes really seem to keep my scalp clean. I know, I know, when I first contemplated condition washes, I thought "yuck!" I need to clean my scalp, but really, washing twice a week with conditioners seem to do the trick for me. If you NEED to shampoo instead of condition washes, then get the gentlest mildest shampoo you can find. Hope this gives you some ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Neroli,I really appreciate your thorough reply

I think you may be on to something with the shampooing. I think maybe I shampoo too often. I am a bit obsessive with having a clean scalp
. The honey recipe has been on my mind for a long time now. I think when I go home I am going to con. wash with my Herbal Essences and then deep condition with honey and Humectress. I see you use 1/3 cup of honey and conditioner. Question, isn't it sticky? I guess I will pour my Humectress and honey in the measuring cup and stir but i keep picturing sticky hair

I am going to try to limit my shampoo usage to once a week only and see how it works out for me.

JenJen2721

Britt,
How often are you using protein conditioners? You could be overproteining? Perhaps try concentrating on moisture, moisture, moisture for a while. Pre-shampoo treatments are a good idea, shampoo and then moisturizing conditioner.

Moisturizing leave-ins and oil to seal in the moisture.

Instead of "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha" It's "Moisture, Moisture, Moisture!"

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
Britt,
How often are you using protein conditioners? You could be overproteining? Perhaps try concentrating on moisture, moisture, moisture for a while. Pre-shampoo treatments are a good idea, shampoo and then moisturizing conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Jen,
I havent been using protien much at all. Do you really notice a difference using a pre shampoo treatment. I always figured that oil doesn't get absorbed into the hair shaft and that it will be washed down the drain
. I did get a free bottle of oil with my Jam the other day, I guess I could give it a try. I think I will moisten my hair frist with water.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
Britt,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Jen,
I havent been using protien much at all. Do you really notice a difference using a pre shampoo treatment. I always figured that oil doesn't get absorbed into the hair shaft and that it will be washed down the drain
. I did get a free bottle of oil with my Jam the other day, I guess I could give it a try. I think I will moisten my hair frist with water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, definitely moisten the hair 1st, but for pre-shampoo treatments I think the benefit for me comes more from the honey than the oil. I'm afraid of sticky hair like you, so I always use it as a pre-shampoo treatment as opposed to mixing it in w/conditioner. It does make a noticeable difference though. That honey is good stuff.

Here's the recipe (approx.) for my preshampoo treatment:

1 TBSP Honey
2 TBSP EVOO
A couple of squirts of Castor Oil and a little coconut oil.

I warm it in a glass that I sit in hot water for about 5 minutes.

NYCITY

I must say AO GPB is just great. I think i'm going to use this every week. It's no a harsh treatment and is very moisturizing. Ladies, my hair has grown so much....i am 2 inches from bra strap and this treatment was of great help. I alos use Biolage leave in which is also great

ImPradaModel

Lawd I am sitting here right now with conditioner and a plastic cap on. I have been having the same problem for the last 2 weeks after I took my braids out. My hair is starting to fall out for the lack of Moisture.

Neroli

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Neroli,I really appreciate your thorough reply

I think you may be on to something with the shampooing. I think maybe I shampoo too often. I am a bit obsessive with having a clean scalp
. The honey recipe has been on my mind for a long time now. I think when I go home I am going to con. wash with my Herbal Essences and then deep condition with honey and Humectress. I see you use 1/3 cup of honey and conditioner. Question, isn't it sticky? I guess I will pour my Humectress and honey in the measuring cup and stir but i keep picturing sticky hair

I am going to try to limit my shampoo usage to once a week only and see how it works out for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE humectress but I have not tried it with the honey. I use for deep moisturizing after my protein treatments. I tried to used humectress for conditioner washes but found it was too heavy and left my hair a bit weighed down so I use conditioners that are not so heavy and thick (sauve coocnut, suave humectant, aubrey GPB, vo5, etc.), they're also easier on the budget since I use twice a week.

I mix 1/3 cup honey with the coconut milk and conditioner in a cup stirring really well with spoon. The consistency is actually quite thick, not at all sticky, and easy to apply on my hair. I rinse out really well and my hair just feels like silk. You must try and see how you like. Honey is an excellent humectant (attracts and retains moisture) which allows it to provide and retain elasticity.

Britt

Ladies I tried everything yesterday and nothing at all worked. I was really really really upset. I even had to wash my hair mulitiple times and it still felt like crap. I mean it feels just like straw. Im just going to relax it this Saturday. Im lost

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
CheerBear said:
Maybe the multiple washings is what caused the dry, straw like ness

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so, i was washing with con and that was the only thing that made my hair feel a little bit better. I give up, im just going to relax, its a good thing I need a relaxer.

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
Britt-

Do you use heat on your hair? If so, what and how much? How often do you use your protein conditioners?

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely use protien conditioners. I usually do not use heat with my moisturizing conditioners b/c they soften my hair instanteously. But I tried using heat and that failed also. I have no idea whats wrong with my hair, its not breaking, but its coming out a lot when its wet because it is brittle and hard when wet, not even like protein hard but dry, strawlike hard when wet

Dolce_Dawn

When I asked heat I meant curlers, blowdryers.. things like that. Also, are you eating healthfully and drinking lots of water? (I'm trying...
). Does it feel like straw when it's dry, too? Do you use mineral oil (is it in any of your products)?

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
Britt-

Do you use heat on your hair? If so, what and how much? How often do you use your protein conditioners?

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely use protien conditioners. I usually do not use heat with my moisturizing conditioners b/c they soften my hair instanteously. But I tried using heat and that failed also. I have no idea whats wrong with my hair, its not breaking, but its coming out a lot when its wet because it is brittle and hard when wet, not even like protein hard but dry, strawlike hard when wet

[/ QUOTE ] were you using any products recently and regularly with glycerine in it?

Britt

I used honey last honey in my conditioners but that didn't help at all. I think it made my hair feel worse. Other than that, I haven't used anything with glycerin in it lately.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
I used honey last honey in my conditioners but that didn't help at all. I think it made my hair feel worse. Other than that, I haven't used anything with glycerin in it lately.

[/ QUOTE ] hmm the only time i saw my hair behaving like this, i was sick and didnt know it. and the only time i saw my daughters hair acting like that, was when i took her hair off of glycerine after long term use, it had her hair very brittle.....what helped me was a good vitamin regimen and day and night olive oil treatments. you might want to try that. the only thing that helped my daughter was allowing her to use a little more glycerine till her hair adjusted. thats all i can think of sweetie. if you cant get to the bottom of it , product wise you might have something else going on, like with your thyroid etc. are you shedding alot too?

Neroli

maybe your hair was over processed? when hair is relaxed bone straight, all the elasticity is gone and very litte "spring" left in the hair. if overprocessed, you may just have to focus on moisture moisture moisture and baby it along sticking to mild shampoos (or just do conditioner washes) and deep moisturizing conditioners (good ole humectress!) and stay away from "hard core" proteins and products with 'cones.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
[ QUOTE ]
CheerBear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so, i was washing with con and that was the only thing that made my hair feel a little bit better. I give up, im just going to relax, its a good thing I need a relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ] Ive heard lots of people say con stops working and drys out their hair after using it a while, be carefull relaxing if your hair is already brittle, try to get moisture in it first

Dolce_Dawn

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
[ QUOTE ]
CheerBear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Ive heard lots of people say con stops working and drys out their hair after using it a while, be carefull relaxing if your hair is already brittle, try to get moisture in it first

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Creme of Nature may be leaving a coating on your hair like many people have complained about. Try different products, more moisturizing ones. I can only think of salon brands like Kenra and KeraCare, but pls try a new combo of poos and cons. Even Motions is kinda shady in my book, only from what other people have said. Again, do you use curlers or blowdryers?