Hair feels sticky after protein

MsCarmenP

Anytime I do a protein treatment, my hair feels...I guess I'll say sticky yet hard. I do the treatment once a month. Usually I wash, do protein (Aphogee 2 minute) and then do a moisturizing conditioner (KeraCare Humecto or ORS Replenishing conditioner). Afterwards I put in a little leave-in (Garnier Fructis) and wrap my hair and let it dry. When I take it down in the morning it feels sticky, hard and dry. I thought it was the leave-in but I've tried wrapping my hair without putting anything in it. Still feels sticky and clumpy in areas. I make sure I wash out all product. This sticky, clumpy thing only happens when I do the protein treatment. Regular wash or co-wash doesn't cause this problem. Any advice?

all_1_length

Perhaps you are using too much protein? If I understand correctly ORs Replenishing conditioner is a protein conditioner so you are experiencing protein overload using that one.

all_1_length

You can try using another protein like Aubry Organics GPB conditioner, it can work as both a moisturizing and protein conditioner.

MsCarmenP

all_1_length Thanks for responding! Even when I use the Aphogee followed by the Keracare conditioner, I still get that sticky hair feeling. That's why I'm at a loss for what to do (or not do).

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Maybe you should just use the ORS and find another leave-in. Fructis is usually derived from fruits so that could be causing it.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MsCarmenP

LovingLady, I've never used any other protein treatments. I only started using Aphogee because I got a relaxer earlier this year and started shedding. The stylist recommended it. I never did special protein "treatments" before then. The only protein product I've used prior to that was the ORS Replenishing conditioner. My hair seemed to love it.

MsCarmenP

Maybe you should just use the ORS and find another leave-in. Fructis is usually derived from fruits so that could be causing it.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Are you saying I should eliminate the Aphogee and just use the ORS for protein with a different leave-in? I've tried doing the protein treatment without using the Garnier and the result was the same: a sticky mess :perplexed.