Hair Growth and Vitamin D/Hormones/Toxicity

My Friend

Hi,

I thought this topic needed a thread of it's own.

Please ladies, in your quest for long hair please do not skip steps. Vitamin D is a hormone and toxic amounts can destroy your kidneys.

People get prescribed different amounts for chronic health problems. Growing hair is not one of them :nono:

Get your levels checked before you start taking huge amounts of Vitamin D. Some Dr's will prescribe high levels for a short period of time. If you have a serious health condition they might prescribe it for longer but they have you back in the office to check your blood levels and kidneys.

When taking huge doses you also have to know calcium and magnesium levels.

ADEK and Iron should not be taken on a whem. :nono: Toxic levels of those can cause serious long term damage to organs and cause cancer :yep:

I agree with the other thread, get your levels checked first.

I'm afraid for that someone who will just read a little of that thread and runs out and starts taking 5,000IU per day = 35,000IU per week without being under a Dr's care, knowing their levels or knowing when to stop.

Last edited:

My Friend

Symptoms of Vitamin D Toxicity
When the level of vitamin D increases in the body, it also raises the level of calcium in blood. The obvious result of this condition is hypercalcemia or presence of abnormally high level of calcium in blood. Hypercalcemia is responsible for producing most of the symptoms of vitamin D toxicity.

The early vitamin D toxicity symptoms include, gastrointestinal disorders like anorexia, diarrhea, constipation, nausea and vomiting. Bone pain, drowsiness, continuous headache, irregular heart beat, loss of appetite, muscle and joint pain are some other early symptoms that are likely to appear within few days or weeks after a vitamin D overdose.

The individuals are also likely to experience alternating periods of constipation and diarrhea due to the presence of excessive vitamin D. Frequent urination, especially at night, excessive thirst, weakness, nervousness and itching are some other common vitamin D toxicity symptoms.

Kidney diseases have been found to be commonly associated with severe vitamin D toxicity, which can lead to elevated protein level in blood, formation of urinary casts and kidney stones, abnormal level of calcium in urine. Vitamin D toxicity have been also found to increase the risk of ischaemic heart disease. An overdose for a very long period can lead to the development of calcium crystals in the soft tissues of the body. High blood pressure and kidney failure are the main complications associated with vitamin D toxicity.

AngelEyez

very informative post! I've been taking a Calcium/Vitamin D every day for close to five months...maybe I should check with my Physician to make sure I'm not doing more harm than good..

My Friend

very informative post! I've been taking a Calcium/Vitamin D every day for close to five months...maybe I should check with my Physician to make sure I'm not doing more harm than good..

Please do. If you are taking high levels of D, you don't want to take a lot calcium :nono:

If it's in a multi vitamin it's normally ok. Its when you take D alone in high doses.

Curlykale

I bought it 2 weeks ago after reading about it being a powerful anticancer. I bought a good brand but, apart from instant amazing skin, I did have some of the early symptoms and it turns out the dosage is way too high. I am reading some articles (Mayo clinic and other websites) and they say a safe dose should be 600 IU per day. This document from Fao even talks about 200 IU a day as a safe dose (I was taking 11 times as much LOL, thanks Solgar). It basically says that although the lack of vit D is a diffused problem, overdosing even via fortified food is a problem and concern too:
http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/Y2809E/y2809e0e.htm

I copy and paste, although this is general info and I don't know if it means "from supplements":

RNIs for vitamin D according to age groups

Age group

RNI µg/day

Infants

0-6 months

-----------------
7-12 months

-----------------

1-3 years

-----------------

4-6 years

-----------------
7-9 years

-----------------

Adolescents,
10-18 years

-----------------

Adults

19-50 years

-----------------

Older adults,

51-65 years

------------------
Elderly adults,
65+ years

------------------
Pregnant women

Lactating women

aUnits: for vitamin D, 1 IU = 25 ng, 40 IU = 1 µg, 200 IU = 5 µg, 400 IU = 10 µg,
600 IU = 15 µg, 800 IU = 20 µg; for 25-OH-D, 1 ng/ml = 2.5 nmol/l,
10 ng/ml = 25 nmol/l, 11 ng/ml = 28.5 nmol/l (low limit),
30 ng/ml = 75 nmol/l (normal), 60 ng/ml = 150 nmol/l (upper limit).

Vitamin D toxicity

The adverse effects of high vitamin D intakes - hypercalciuria and hypercalcemia - do not occur at these new recommended intake levels. In fact, it is worth noting that the recommended intakes for all age groups are still well below the lowest observed adverse effect level of 50 µg/day and have not yet even reached the no observed adverse effect level of 20 µg/day (33, 48). Outbreaks of idiopathic infantile hypercalcemia in the United Kingdom in the post-World War II era led to the withdrawal of vitamin D fortification from all foods in that country because of concerns that they were due to hypervitaminosis D. There are some suggestions in the literature that these outbreaks of idiopathic infantile hypercalcemia may have been multifactorial with genetic and dietary components and were not just due to technical problems with over-fortification as was assumed (49,50). In retrospect, the termination of the vitamin D fortification may have been counter productive because it exposed segments of the UK community to vitamin deficiency and may have discouraged other nations from starting vitamin D fortification programmes (50). This is all the more cause for concern because hypovitaminosis D is still a problem worldwide, particularly in developing countries at high latitudes and in countries where skin exposure to sunlight is discouraged (51).

Last edited:
It's very loving for you to warn people about this. I was put on 5000 mg of Vitamin D because I have had 4 sinus infections in 9 months and each time I had to take two or three rounds of antibiotics to heal it. The Vitamin D has helped my body to heal, but the excessive amount is only temporary.

star78

This has been a topic of interest for me for awhile. I went from being a totally healthy female to having multiple symptoms out of nowhere a little over three years ago. I do have a "structural brain" condition that may be causing my symptoms but my neurologists, ENT, and GP have all said they don't think the brain issue is the cause of my symptoms.

With that said, my symptoms started out as muscle spasms, inner shakiness, anxiety, pain in my face, and a 24/7 pulse-like pounding feeling in my chest that eventually shifted to my neck and head. I also use to have the racing heart feeling. I had a number of blood tests, inner ear tests (had a wooshing sound in ears as if I could hear my heart with each beat) , neurological exams, ekgs, thyroid tests, etc and they all came back fine.

There is one doctor who gave me a blood calcium test twice. Each time it came back abnormally high. When I went to two other doctors and inquired about the result they both said something like "why were you even given that test?" or just ignored it. The crazy thing is that the "regular" vitamin D blood test (not the blood calcium) came back slightly low so I have been given 50,000 units of Vitamin D2 to take each week for the next 6 weeks.

Now, I've been hesitant to take it bc I read that those with elevated blood calcium levels are often given high levels of Vitamin D to take which only makes things worse. I currently take a muscle relaxant and/or naproxen when I can't tolerate the pain. It seems it's mostly a muscle issue for me as it feels like all of the muscles in my face and neck/shoulder areas tighten up so much and lock up on me and as a result it exacerbates the pulse sensation in my head . I do get relief from the muscle relaxant but I wonder if the elevated blood calcium level is the culprit in all of this.

Sorry to veer off the subject of Vitamin D and hair. I can say that I neglected my hair a lot which resulted in a lot of damage but perhaps the Vitamin D issue contributed to my thinning hair as well.

MzSwift

I was just tested and I'm seriously low. My doc recommended Vitamin D last year and I never got the prescription filled.

My levels were around 20 and he said that normal is between 35 and 50.

He said that he's gonna prescribe a very high dosage that I take only once per week. Now I'm scared to take it! LoL

Last edited:

My Friend

I was just tested and I'm seriously low. My doc recommended Vitamin D last year and I never got the prescription filled.

My levels were around 20 and he said that normal is between 35 and 50.

He said that he's gonna prescribe a very high dosage that I take only once per week. Now I'm scared to take it! LoL

MzSwift

Don't be scared to take it. Your high dose will only be for a short time to get your levels up. He is prescribing D2 but D3 otc is better absorbed. Having the proper levels is important :yep: If that was last year you probaly are even lower now. You don't want that.:nono:

MzSwift

Thanks My Friend !
I will likely look into the D3 as I have a copay on prescriptions. If it's more beneficial AND cheaper, I may just go that route. Thanks again!

Pierrot

Thank you OP!

This is slightly OT but I suffered Vitamin A toxicity or Hypervitaminosis A from self-medicating Tretinoin for over 1 year and suffered EXTREME scalp pain, scalp tenderness and hair shedding (the shedding was possibly unrelated). I saw dermatologistS and my PCP who were all useless, despite my extreme liver and white blood cell labs, and ended up researching myself though there was little information out there fitting my symptoms which in addition to mind numbing scalp pain were extreme ear wax build up (sorry for TMI).

I stopped taking the serum and within 1 month, the side effects were gone. I believe, after having minor symptoms like the ear thing for a year that my body just couldn't take it anymore and had to send me a seriously strong signal to leave it the hell alone and I'm grateful - who knows what permanent damage I could've done in my quest to maintain flawless skin.

Hypervitaminosis exists for pretty much every vitamin group. I'm still super cautious about vitamin dosage and appreciate threads like this one because it took me a while to find my own correct diagnosis due to the lack of information connecting my symptoms to Hypervitaminosis A.

chocolat79

Thanks for this! My doc prescribed 50,000IU/week for 8 weeks, then she recommended I take 2000IU's per day as maintenance. I don't take it everyday, but I try to be as consistent as possible.

My Friend

I hope the ladies who are taking a muliti vitamin and a hair, skin and nail vitamin read this thread.

Please check to see if both your multi and your HSN vitamin have Vitamin A. If they do most likey you are OD'g on vitamin A which is very serious.

Again, ADEK and Iron are fat soluable. This means the excess doesnt exit your body through your urine :nono: They build up and become toxic.

If you are post menopausal, some Dr.'s advise you not to take vitamin A at all.

Charla

Glad you posted it made take a look at how long I had been taking my D. Even though the doc prescribed for me 50,000 a week for 6 weeks, I got into the habit of taking them and I exceeded my prescribed amt by 2 weeks!

So needless to say, I'm done with them for now until my next check up.

jshug

I wanted to to chime in on this topic. I can speak on this from a personal and professional point of view. If you are low in Vit D, take it. As someone posted earlier if your levels are below 30. You are deficient. Recent studies have shifted towards low vit D in African American women lend towards heart disease. It can also cause various symptoms. Last year, I began feeling tired, achy, cloudy headed and just overall blahh! I had my D levels checked and it was it 14!! Which is incredibly low. I have seen others with levels of 8 and I was seeing them because they could barely move around. If you are severely deficient the usual recommendations are 50,000 iu for 12wks, repeat the level and prescribe from there. After 12 wks my level was just 24, but after 2wks I felt like a different person. I could actually get out bed with out feeling like a 90 year old. I now take 5,000 iu daily of Vit D3 which is ok for me because I monitor my levels closely. If you are generally a healthy person, toxicity is rare but very possible.

Guitarhero

I haven't even read this article yet but I am thanking you for posting. I just learned two days ago that Vit. D supplements are made through synthetics and that's where the problem comes in. Some of the omega supplements also infuse their formula with this synthetic. In natural sources (foods), it's not harmful. But the vitamin industry is on the wrong path with this one. And we wonder why the FDA is involved. It's not that they are totally against us gaining health through natural supplementation, it's that it's not regulated and that there are many medication injuries sustained and even deaths when people combine prescribed drugs with herbals. The average consumer is not a pharmacologist nor naturopathic pharmacologist (they have another title I cannot remember at this moment). In short, it's dangerous to not research drugs or supplements and since most rely upon the internet, word of mouth or even naturalists writing books, they are not seeking their information from drug professionals.

I'd encourage anyone to consult their doctor AND pharmacist, esp. a compounding pharmacist who has also trained in naturopathy and go through all supplements being consumed. People are poisoning themselves to death in the quest to preserve and gain health. It's not right. We are blinded. I'm not talking about those deficient through testing, I"m talking about people blindly taking xyz because they heard it was "good" to take to prevent disease or ease symptoms.

Vit. D has been manufactured for a long time but these companies are smart. Most people did not purchase it in the past. Now, when you go to the doctor and they tell you or your kids they need to make sure you're getting enough vitamin D, citing African American studies, parents are thinking of themselves as well. Adults have begun taking this without running it by their doctors. The pediatricians are pushing more milk as a source. Parents are looking for pills. Companies know this.

I'm going to throw away my 10 bottles of omega capsules of A&D . I've also heard D can build up calcium plaque near the heart. Even though he's on Youtube, he's certified in his field. My source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wYuHA5P-OQ&feature=related

http://thepeopleschemist.com/

Last edited:

Guitarhero

I bought it 2 weeks ago after reading about it being a powerful anticancer.

I want to make sure my post was not misconstrued to mean that people should not follow the advice of their doctors when there is a medical condition or deficit of some sort.

You, like me, are into preventative herbal/vitamin supplementation and I was also fooled into taking it. I thought, how harmless since it's in milk. Again, the problem is the synthetic source of the capsules/pills when there is no deficit of it in the body as in my previous post. But how many of us knew that? :nono: I hear you!!!! and was literally scared to death this week. I'll go into my doctor again to get more testing because I started to have some strange symptoms.

But as for natural vitamin D, it's great. If you want the natural source Vitamin D and are not lactose intolerant, take a 1/2 tsp. of good tumeric (get the Indian one, it is fresher) in a cup of cold or warm milk and drink daily for a good anti-cancer herbal food. But like anything else, do not take too much tumeric.

Last edited:

My Friend

I wanted to to chime in on this topic. I can speak on this from a personal and professional point of view. If you are low in Vit D, take it. As someone posted earlier if your levels are below 30. You are deficient. Recent studies have shifted towards low vit D in African American women lend towards heart disease. It can also cause various symptoms. Last year, I began feeling tired, achy, cloudy headed and just overall blahh! I had my D levels checked and it was it 14!! Which is incredibly low. I have seen others with levels of 8 and I was seeing them because they could barely move around. If you are severely deficient the usual recommendations are 50,000 iu for 12wks, repeat the level and prescribe from there. After 12 wks my level was just 24, but after 2wks I felt like a different person. I could actually get out bed with out feeling like a 90 year old. I now take 5,000 iu daily of Vit D3 which is ok for me because I monitor my levels closely. If you are generally a healthy person, toxicity is rare but very possible.

I too can speak from a pro and personal point of view. I agree with you. The problem lies in the interpertation of what is being posted :yep:

The 50,000 you were prescribed was D2 is not absorbed by the body like otc D3. So if someone reads this post and thinks they can take D3 for that long, they may have problems.

Also, is this person in Florida? Are they outside a lot? Do they eat a lot of D fortified foods? Too many questions need answered before you start taking high doses of D.

Your symptoms could have been a lot of different things. It could have been something serious. By seeing a Dr. and not just popping D3's you may have gotten a bone density test, RA testing, CRP testing, etc. This is why you go to the Dr. to rule out more serious conditions.

My point in starting this thread is was to ensure LHCF's get tested first. It's included in your annual physical so why not get it.

Last edited:

MzSwift

Just wanted to update...

My doctor Debo'd me into filling the Vitamin D prescription.
I was prescribed Vitamin D2 at 50,000 units, once per week.
I've been taking them every Wednesday night since 28-Nov-11.
I will be taking them for 4 months and then I will have to be retested.
My level was 11... I think. LoL

We'll see if there are any changes in my mood and growth! I'll be sure to report back.

ms.blue

My doctor told me that I was low on vit d but just to buy otc supplement. I ended up buying Caltrate but I do forget to take them though.

rawsilk

Started taking some of my Mom's D3 when her doctor recommended it in connection with breast issues. I can literally FEEL my hair growing. Scalp and new growth feel like they did when I was in High School. (I am, let's just say "grown" now LOL) I came on here looking for confirmation that it's the vitamin D3 (because I don't think that I have done anything other than add this supp. @ 5mcgs per day). No idea re how this effects toxicity -- will have to double down on green juices, raw foods and other alkaline enhancing foods.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

You can help to convert the vitamin D you intake from food sources into the vitamin your body most readily utilizes by spending about 15 minutes a day in direct sunlight WITHOUT sun block.

One of the reasons people are vitamin D defficient nawadays is because they do not spend enough time outdoors....blame the the internet and Reality TV :look:

Last edited:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Here's a copy of the patient education sheet we give patients in our office:

Patient Education Vitamin-D: For best bones and more
VITAMIN-D IS A HORMONE WITH MANY IMPORTANT FUNCTIONS:

• Help the intestine absorb calcium
• Helps build strong bones
• Helps our immune system prevent colon & other cancers
• Stimulates our defenses that fight infections
• Works to prevent autoimmune diseases

Vitamin-D2 comes naturally in fatty fish—cod, salmon, tuna, and sardines. Milk is fortified with Vitamin-d (400 IU per quart). Dairy foods of all types provide extra Vitamin-D.

We eat Vitamin-D2 (ergocalcoferol). Sunshine ultraviolet rays hit our skin and change D2 into D3 (cholecalciferol). Our kidneys then change D3 into an active and most powerful form called D4.

EVEN WITH HEALTHY BONES YOU WILL BENEFIT FROM EXTRA VITAMIN-D

• Age 30-50: Extra daily 400 IU Vitamin D-3
• Age 50 or more: Extra daily 2000 IU Vitamin-D3

Vitamin-D3 is added to calcium supplements (usually 200 IU each) and multivitamins (400 IU each).

Your extra Vitamin-D will be in addition to Vitamin-D from food, calcium supplements, and multivitamins.

WHEN BONES STRENTH IS LOW- OSTEOPOROSIS OR OSTEOPENIA- YOUR DOCTOR WILL CHECK A BLOOD TEST:

Levels of 25-hydroxy Vitamin-D in the blood:
• Ideal………………………….40-60 ng/ml
• Minimum acceptable ………..over 32
• Insufficient…………………...15-32
• Deficient……………………...below 15

We use high dose Vitamin-D3 or prescription Vitamin-D2 or D4 to bring your levels up to optimum. Repeat blood tests will guide long term Vitamin-D therapy.

Patient Education Calcium: Building Blocks for Bones

Calcium is the “brick” needed to bone growth and repair. Healthy bones need at least 1000 mg daily. Weak or osteoporotic bones need 1500 mg daily. You may get all you need from dairy and other foods. If not, you should consider calcium supplements.

How much calcium do you eat every day? Unfortunately, a typical Oklahoman gets barely 600mg daily. Dairy products provide most food calcium. Milk has 325 mg of calcium per cup, yogurt 200 mg, ice cream 300 mg, and cottage cheese 200 mg.

If you take calcium supplements, here are some helpful hints:
 No more the 500-600 mg at one time.
 Take some of your calcium supplements near bedtime: better absorption and help with muscle repair and recovery
 Chewables may be easier to absorb than tablets.
 Test generic calcium formulations: drop in vinegar and see they dissolve rapidly
 Avoid dolomite or bone meal calcium—possible contaminants.
 Boron is not essential.
 Add magnesium oxide 500 mg at night (for Heart and muscles) if you avoid all dairy products.
 Total calcium input should not exceed 2000 mg a day.

****Patients who have multiple kidney stones, parathyroid disorders, chronic intestinal malabsorption, chronic inflammatory intestinal diseases and other complex medical problems should review calcium supplementation requirements with their personal physician

Ari8

I've heard many times before that simply "getting sunlight" isn't enough, at least for Blacks because of our darker skin.

I've been prescribed 50,000 IUs (1 pill per week for two months) and that does seem high. I haven't taken them yet partly for that reason. It would be interesting if it contributes to growth. I wonder whether it affects texture as well (i.e. excessive dryness and weakness).

EDIT: My level was 17 when the normal should be in the 30s (I think).

Last edited:

cynd

I just started taking 2000 iu/day a week ago. Very timely. I may reduce this to 1000 iu and will specifically ask for my levels to be checked at my next checkup. Thanks OP.

ilong

God's Own
Health advice and care, as with anything else, can be conflicting and relative.

Most of the information posted in this thread I believe to be true as it relates to me. However, for someone else it may not be. For example what is not recommended for a younger, totally fit, strong bones/joints female may be crucial for a post menopausal women.

Because of joint/bone injuries, lower bone density, lactose intolerance and post menopausal I AM required to take 2000IU VitaminD3 daily. Additionally, my health care (a maintenance program) program requires an assessment be completed by patient and doctor every two years. Compliance with taking the recommended Vitamin D and increasing intake on other supplements is monitored. AND believe it or not one of the "gotcha" cautions in the assessment is "sun exposure with sunblock". If your score does not meet a certain minimum you pay premium costs for health care.

So as advised in so many posts - consult your physician if possible. I realize that there is a large populationof people who don't have health care. So please do your research and exercise knowledge and wisdom.

If you have one of the conditions I mentioned earlier (bolded) you may need to take a Vitamin D3 supplement routinely (not mega doses like 5000IU+)